3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Andurin

Apr 28, 2017
After a pc reinstall, im expiriencing all my previous 3d characters giving duplicate errors. Anyone mind taking a look to see if they can spot the error? cause i cant.

SchaakaKon

Nov 29, 2017
Daz Question: Unsure if this is the right spot for this but im pretty new and im trying to use https://f95zone.to/threads/dforce-side-bob-hair-for-genesis-8-female-s.38477/ its a daz side cut hair that i like.
The only problem is that it uses a 'layer color display' that im sure is super useful for most people. But im basic atm and I like to see the actual hair color (i chose brunette), I tried googling it and I cant quite find anyone having a similar issue with it. How do I turn it off?
I rendered just to see what it looks like and it even renders the color display. Ugg.
If anyone can share their mighty wisdom on this I would be forever in your debt.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Daz Question: Unsure if this is the right spot for this but im pretty new and im trying to use https://f95zone.to/threads/dforce-side-bob-hair-for-genesis-8-female-s.38477/ its a daz side cut hair that i like.
The only problem is that it uses a 'layer color display' that im sure is super useful for most people. But im basic atm and I like to see the actual hair color (i chose brunette), I tried googling it and I cant quite find anyone having a similar issue with it. How do I turn it off?
I rendered just to see what it looks like and it even renders the color display. Ugg.
If anyone can share their mighty wisdom on this I would be forever in your debt.
Before applying brunette color, select your hair in the scene tab, select, select children, then apply.

DAZStudio_mn0ppWXn0B.png

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
I have a Daz Studio scene that I believe may have gotten too memory intensive. The moment I hit render my free ram vanishes and my 6-drive RAID10 (yes, 10) array starts thrashing hard. It then takes over an hour for the first render pass to even start... and another three hours for the first render pass to finish. And the RAID array continues thrashing the entire time. Given that I expect a up to a thousand passes... that's a third of a year for a single render.

Compare this to a typical render, where there's a bit of thrashing for 2-5 minutes as the render starts, then 25 minutes to render ~1k passes with no thrashing... and then I'm done. That's quite the dramatic change if the whole problem is that I'm pushing the scene beyond the memory consumption my system can handle (16 gigs... typically ~12gigs free on boot)... but the heavy thrashing makes me think memory paging.

Is this typical of excessive memory consumption in Daz Studio? Or should I be looking elsewhere for my issue? Any suggestions on what to try to alleviate the issue?

Lewd4D

Jun 28, 2019
Any suggestions on what to try to alleviate the issue?
Make the scene smaller to fit on your RAM or buy more RAM i guess. Rendering from a HDD is obviously extremely slow because even the fastest HDD in existence gets shit on by RAM in terms of speed.

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
Make the scene smaller to fit on your RAM or buy more RAM i guess. Rendering from a HDD is obviously extremely slow because even the fastest HDD in existence gets shit on by RAM in terms of speed.
So this is definitely a ram issue? If so I can simply render the scene in parts and composite it together in Photoshop. I lose some of the indirect lighting reflected by one figure onto another... but that shouldn't be much too noticeable.

Powerline75

Nov 7, 2019
I have a Daz Studio scene that I believe may have gotten too memory intensive. The moment I hit render my free ram vanishes and my 6-drive RAID10 (yes, 10) array starts thrashing hard. It then takes over an hour for the first render pass to even start... and another three hours for the first render pass to finish. And the RAID array continues thrashing the entire time. Given that I expect a up to a thousand passes... that's a third of a year for a single render.

Compare this to a typical render, where there's a bit of thrashing for 2-5 minutes as the render starts, then 25 minutes to render ~1k passes with no thrashing... and then I'm done. That's quite the dramatic change if the whole problem is that I'm pushing the scene beyond the memory consumption my system can handle (16 gigs... typically ~12gigs free on boot)... but the heavy thrashing makes me think memory paging.

Is this typical of excessive memory consumption in Daz Studio? Or should I be looking elsewhere for my issue? Any suggestions on what to try to alleviate the issue?
I'm REALLY curious now... exactly how much system RAM do you have, and, how huge is said scene to consume it whole? Unless you got less than 8 GB of any modern-ish RAM (Yes, that includes the now semi-archaic DDR3), most reasonably large scenes should be doable, for CPU rendering at least. But, if your geometry load is less than 2 GB of mem usage, and you still go full memory, you may want to... downgrade the texture resolution, at least on the items in the scene that are small enough, or far enough to not show enough of a difference. There are scripts that work that part for you, like this https://f95zone.to/threads/scene-optimizer-mar-2019.9973/
Incidentally, this toolset also works with overdetailed geometry, smart-decimating, or unsubdividing any uber complex geometry entries in the scene

SchaakaKon

Nov 29, 2017
Question: What do you guys use to render a scene if not in Daz?
So, last week I was following a tutorial through Daz and found out the rendering settings wasnt listing my gpu card and many googles later I come to find out that Iray does not support AMD cards.
Ok, fine. Lets see if I can try to export from Daz to another program for just the rendering workflow. My first go to was Blender as Ive heard good things about it. Every time ive imported a small scene from Daz to Blender it does not keep the poses or positions I set in Daz. Several frustrating googles later, I forget the exact reason but it wont work out is what the forums are saying. Ive tried instead of .fbx to use Collada(.dae) but that only crashes Daz when I try to export. Forums again, are saying that Daz and .dae have always been wonky.
I hate to ask questions when I can find the answers online but im currently stuck on this.
Im downloading maya atm so maybe thatll work out (although maya is pretty i usually only hear negative things about it).
But, in my downtime. What is your guys workflow for this? Do you place the model in Daz, dress them up, set up the props and backgrounds in Daz, pose them there then export to render or something else altogether?

Styxed

Aug 25, 2020
Hello I am new here and I hope you can help me a bit I have seen all this amazing 3d art on this page and I got really inspired by it and I want now to try my own 3d art with Daz but I don't know where to start I have followed some tutorials on YouTube and so but could you help me maybe with some essentials that I need like assets for the start like Tools, some armor/cloth, hair, boobs and genitalia and so on and maybe some videos where I can learn more about it, I would really appreciate it if I can get this stuff for free thanks in advance ;)

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
Concerning assets, f95 has a specific forum https://f95zone.to/forums/asset-releases.95/ It contains much much more than what you need to start.
Daz has an extremely poor documentation, but the tutorials are good starting points for beginners. Looking at all of them will give you the basics. And there are zillions of daz tutos on youtube for specific problems.
For the rest, it is very difficult to answer such a large question.
Pick up a char, pose it in an environment, try to render it and you will probably have specific problems and questions that you can ask here.

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
I'm REALLY curious now... exactly how much system RAM do you have, and, how huge is said scene to consume it whole? Unless you got less than 8 GB of any modern-ish RAM (Yes, that includes the now semi-archaic DDR3), most reasonably large scenes should be doable, for CPU rendering at least. But, if your geometry load is less than 2 GB of mem usage, and you still go full memory, you may want to... downgrade the texture resolution, at least on the items in the scene that are small enough, or far enough to not show enough of a difference. There are scripts that work that part for you, like this https://f95zone.to/threads/scene-optimizer-mar-2019.9973/
Incidentally, this toolset also works with overdetailed geometry, smart-decimating, or unsubdividing any uber complex geometry entries in the scene
16 Gigs DDR4 system ram and 8 Gigs of video ram (RTX 2070). According to this tool I need ~30 gigs for this scene. The scene is 1 HD character, and 4 normal characters. Specifically, a Demon HD, two Genesis 8 Females and two Victoria 8s. Obviously with some clothes and such (none "hd"). When I initially ran into the problem I actually had the two G8F disabled in the scene. No environment, not even a floor. Just three mesh lights and two distant lights.

See that's the thing. I wouldn't expect this scene to be this much of a drag on my system.The linked tool also tells me that I need 11 gigs of ram to render this. Except I rendered that on my 8GB RTX 2070 without any real issue in just 10 minutes. So I don't know what to think. That why I'm looking for someone to confirm that Daz Studio behaving this way really does indicate an out-of-memory issue.

Regardless, I'll give the script you linked a try and see what happens.

Vignum

Jul 6, 2017
So, i couldn't find a thread for this or the ones i found were old and i don't really know if this is the correct place to ask this...:unsure:

I want to know if there're more places like renderotica, i need animations, but the ones that i found there are low quality or not what i'm looking for, i searched in SmutBase and Renderosity, but nothing, so that's why i come to you :geek:

Powerline75

Nov 7, 2019
16 Gigs DDR4 system ram and 8 Gigs of video ram (RTX 2070). According to this tool I need ~30 gigs for this scene. The scene is 1 HD character, and 4 normal characters. Specifically, a Demon HD, two Genesis 8 Females and two Victoria 8s. Obviously with some clothes and such (none "hd"). When I initially ran into the problem I actually had the two G8F disabled in the scene. No environment, not even a floor. Just three mesh lights and two distant lights.

See that's the thing. I wouldn't expect this scene to be this much of a drag on my system.The linked tool also tells me that I need 11 gigs of ram to render this. Except I rendered that on my 8GB RTX 2070 without any real issue in just 10 minutes. So I don't know what to think. That why I'm looking for someone to confirm that Daz Studio behaving this way really does indicate an out-of-memory issue.

Regardless, I'll give the script you linked a try and see what happens.
I can think of one thing. You're using displacement maps, don't you? It's funny, that I stumbled upon this on my own earlier today.
Normally, displacement maps are not something you'd need much nowdays, with normal maps filling the need for most subtle pseudo-geometry effect a displacement map would generate. But, the lack of often usage of displacement maps kept an issue with DAZ mostly unseen.
And, that problem is, how DAZ Studio manipulates the geometry, in order to deliver the best displacement effect... ridiculously high subdividing values, that unless you're familiar with, don't even become aware of, until you get scenes that become impossible to actually render.
The "base" Gen3 and Gen8 figure, comes with subdivision level 2 for the render. And, that delivers a naked figure for about... 50-100 Mbytes of geometry. Raise it for level 3, or 4, as most HD characters load, the same naked figure goes from 50-100, to 200-400 Mbytes... nothing too much, but still heavy, if you add the clothes, textures etcetera... and, then, you add a displacement map, and, it efaults with subdivision level... 12. That delivers somewhere between 500MB and 1 GB per figure. Naked, with no hair, geocrafts, clothes, or scenery. Now, 4 figures hit 4 Gigs this way, add clothes, geocrafts, their textures, the bae figure textures, the scenery... yes, it can go nuts...

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
I can think of one thing. You're using displacement maps, don't you? It's funny, that I stumbled upon this on my own earlier today.
Normally, displacement maps are not something you'd need much nowdays, with normal maps filling the need for most subtle pseudo-geometry effect a displacement map would generate. But, the lack of often usage of displacement maps kept an issue with DAZ mostly unseen.
And, that problem is, how DAZ Studio manipulates the geometry, in order to deliver the best displacement effect... ridiculously high subdividing values, that unless you're familiar with, don't even become aware of, until you get scenes that become impossible to actually render.
The "base" Gen3 and Gen8 figure, comes with subdivision level 2 for the render. And, that delivers a naked figure for about... 50-100 Mbytes of geometry. Raise it for level 3, or 4, as most HD characters load, the same naked figure goes from 50-100, to 200-400 Mbytes... nothing too much, but still heavy, if you add the clothes, textures etcetera... and, then, you add a displacement map, and, it efaults with subdivision level... 12. That delivers somewhere between 500MB and 1 GB per figure. Naked, with no hair, geocrafts, clothes, or scenery. Now, 4 figures hit 4 Gigs this way, add clothes, geocrafts, their textures, the bae figure textures, the scenery... yes, it can go nuts...
Hmmm... interesting. I will strip out any displacement maps and see what happens.

BTW, using the tool you linked i was able to reduce the textures and geometry enough for Iray Memory Assistant to tell me I'd only need 6gigs to render the scene. While the result was a much faster render... it was still looking to take at least a day. Again, compared to 10-30 minutes for my other renders.

Here's a preview screen cap of the (very unfinished) scene:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I dunno if maybe there's an obvious mistake there. I could send the whole scene file for examination if that would help. Pretty sure you'd need to have the appropriate assets though... correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Powerline75

Nov 7, 2019
Hmmm... interesting. I will strip out any displacement maps and see what happens.

BTW, using the tool you linked i was able to reduce the textures and geometry enough for Iray Memory Assistant to tell me I'd only need 6gigs to render the scene. While the result was a much faster render... it was still looking to take at least a day. Again, compared to 10-30 minutes for my other renders.

Here's a preview screen cap of the (very unfinished) scene:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I dunno if maybe there's an obvious mistake there. I could send the whole scene file for examination if that would help. Pretty sure you'd need to have the appropriate assets though... correct me if I'm wrong.
No need.
I think I see a culprit. The she-demon, is she wearing theLinday's side bob dforce hair? I found it too geometry heavy for what it can offer. I'd suggest changing it to MRL's Gem hair for G8F, unless you're going to animate the scene, and hair movement is crucial. The rest doesn't seem too complicated, or proven heavy, at least the assets I can recognise anyway. Then, there's the beard, but, I don't have any alternatives to share for this one. The rest should be a fairly easy to render scene, definately NOT 30 gigs worth

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
No need.
I think I see a culprit. The she-demon, is she wearing theLinday's side bob dforce hair? I found it too geometry heavy for what it can offer. I'd suggest changing it to MRL's Gem hair for G8F, unless you're going to animate the scene, and hair movement is crucial. The rest doesn't seem too complicated, or proven heavy, at least the assets I can recognise anyway. Then, there's the beard, but, I don't have any alternatives to share for this one. The rest should be a fairly easy to render scene, definately NOT 30 gigs worth
It is, and I've seen that it's relatively expensive to render myself back when I was rending with CPU only. Unfortunately, disabling it doesn't solve the problem. It barely makes a dent, actually. In fact, that's the same character I linked to earlier where her solo scene rendered in just 10 minutes. She's the fastest rendering character I've made thus far. She's also the only one I can't reduced the skin textures on much. When I tried the results were.... very not good. I haven't looked but I'm guessing her skin textures aren't very high resolution to start with.

Styxed

Aug 25, 2020
Hello I'm new with daz 3d and I have a small problem my scenes are always full of light in this test I just put one spotlight in that shines on the feet but it is still full of light does somebody know why it is and how to fix it i changed nothing in render settings or so just default
test.png

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote