3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Feb 3, 2020
How can I fix the hair on this product:

I think the hair is a game asset from the game Detroit: Become Human. The whole set was packaged as clothing so it probably wasn't rigged properly as Daz hair. I used the hair on other characters and it won't fit correctly regardless of which conform method I used. The morphs that come with it don't work very well and for starter there is no scale parameter of any sort. The ponytail has bones but I couldn't pose it either.

Vaioretto

Feb 24, 2018
When i render i see that my GPU usage is 0% and CPU usage is around 20%. But there is 4Gb of GPU RAM usage.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Is that normal?
In advanced tab i have only GPU checked and latest version of drivers.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
When i render i see that my GPU usage is 0% and CPU usage is around 20%. But there is 4Gb of GPU RAM usage.
Is that normal?
In advanced tab i have only GPU checked and latest version of drivers.
Taskmanager doesn't show gpu usage correctly, try gpu-z and you'll see that you gpu is actually using something around 99% ;)

Feb 3, 2020
Besides Cutout Opacity, what else can I use in Daz Surface tab to change the transparency of a surface?

I am trying to make hairs appear thinner. Reducing Cutout Opacity looks fine in closeups but the outline becomes too visible in distance so the thinner hair looks like cornrows. Is there another transparency parameter that does not retain the cutout lines?

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Besides Cutout Opacity, what else can I use in Daz Surface tab to change the transparency of a surface?

I am trying to make hairs appear thinner. Reducing Cutout Opacity looks fine in closeups but the outline becomes too visible in distance so the thinner hair looks like cornrows. Is there another transparency parameter that does not retain the cutout lines?
Hair assets are generally a combination of a number of geometry ribbons, which are changed to hairs via cutout opacity in the hair shader. Rather than just dropping the overall value (eg. from 1 to 0.5), I would suggest trying alternative hair shaders. Note that you can copy the hair shader from any asset to another by copy / paste in the surfaces tab.

If you are using d-Force hair made up of strands, you are confined by the asset geometry and there is not much you can do. About the only option is to hide some of the strands, if the asset happens to split them up in multiple surfaces. However this is less hairs rather than thinner hairs.

Feb 3, 2020
Hair assets are generally a combination of a number of geometry ribbons, which are changed to hairs via cutout opacity in the hair shader. Rather than just dropping the overall value (eg. from 1 to 0.5), I would suggest trying alternative hair shaders. Note that you can copy the hair shader from any asset to another by copy / paste in the surfaces tab.

If you are using d-Force hair made up of strands, you are confined by the asset geometry and there is not much you can do. About the only option is to hide some of the strands, if the asset happens to split them up in multiple surfaces. However this is less hairs rather than thinner hairs.
What should I be looking for? I've tried the two most popular hair shader products and the result is not that different than the materials that come with the original OOT hair. I am trying to get the Zola hair: https://f95zone.to/threads/zola-character-hair-bundle-g3f-g8f.14835/ to look like this:
08df9b5defbce38d619df2ba64344f75.jpg

I moved the hair forehead way back (OOT seems to be the only vendor providing the forehead morph in his hairs) and reduce head size for that pulled back tapered to the skull look. This moves the skullcap inside the head and to not get protruding hair looking like helmets I reduce the Cutout Opacity. It works pretty well in closeup but because the fine strands on the edge of the skullcap are now buried inside the head the visible hair has more visible cutout lines that look like cornrows in distance because they don't fade into the head surface.

Is there a more right way to do what I was trying to do?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I moved the hair forehead way back (OOT seems to be the only vendor providing the forehead morph in his hairs) and reduce head size for that pulled back tapered to the skull look. This moves the skullcap inside the head and to not get protruding hair looking like helmets I reduce the Cutout Opacity. It works pretty well in closeup but because the fine strands on the edge of the skullcap are now buried inside the head the visible hair has more visible cutout lines that look like cornrows in distance because they don't fade into the head surface.

Could you post an image to show what you mean? I find it hard to visualise it from your description.

Also, perhaps you could acheive something like the effect you want with postprocessing? i.e. edit in photoshop etc...

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
What should I be looking for? I've tried the two most popular hair shader products and the result is not that different than the materials that come with the original OOT hair. I am trying to get the Zola hair: https://f95zone.to/threads/zola-character-hair-bundle-g3f-g8f.14835/ to look like this:
View attachment 1016317

Fortunately I have the Zola hair so I ran a few options on one of my game models. I have tweaked the hair posing, substituted the cutout opacity to OOT Alice Wet Hair and also added dformers in the final example.
dformer.jpg
Using dformers is not a bad option if you are generating a single image, however I wouldn't include them in a character design as they often go a little haywire when you change poses.

Reactions: 31971207

Feb 3, 2020
Could you post an image to show what you mean? I find it hard to visualise it from your description.

Also, perhaps you could acheive something like the effect you want with postprocessing? i.e. edit in photoshop
etc...
Pics of my attempts are at the bottom of this post. I try to avoid Photoshop because I don't have the time to pick up another hobby...

Fortunately I have the Zola hair so I ran a few options on one of my game models. I have tweaked the hair posing, substituted the cutout opacity to OOT Alice Wet Hair and also added dformers in the final example.
View attachment 1016586
Using dformers is not a bad option if you are generating a single image, however I wouldn't include them in a character design as they often go a little haywire when you change poses.
What you did with dFormer looks really good but you said dFormer will cause problems when change poses. I would like to pose the character with the same hairstyle. Also I don't know how to use dFormer yet...

So here is default Zola:
It does not have the pulled back, tapered to the skull look I want. The hairline is also too low.
ForeheadDepth defualt Cutout default.png

So I reduced forehead depth by 33% and did some minor adjustments to remove the skullcap lines to get the pulled back look. To get the super tapered to the skull look I also reduced cutout opacity to 25%. It looks OK in closeup but where the hair touches the skull it loses the original fine hairs because skullcap is further inside the head so it looks wrong. It's worse with default cutout opacity at 100%.
ForeheadDepth -33% 1.png

In more distance shot because skullcap is now deeper inside the head the forehead hair does not look natural. The sides also looks like cornrows because 25% cutout opacity made the outline stand out more. Increase cutout opacity improves the sides but the forehead then looks unnatural.
Untitled.jpg

edit:
Anyway to get OOT hair cap as a standalone? I imported a standalone hair cap and copy paste Zola surfaces and it turns out that OOT has different surface parameters. I am a noob so I don't know what this means but OOT hair cap has a "Cap Base Texture" where the fine strand details are located while its base color channel is just a color. The generic hair cap I use does not have a "Cap Base Texture" and in its base color channel it uses a texture map with hair strands. Looking at the hair shader products its seem they place hair strand map in the base color channel and lacks the cap base texture as well. If I copy OOT cap surface over to a generic hair cap I just end up with a cap of solid color. So it seems I need a OOT hair cap to show the fine hairs.

edit 2:
The Zola haircap texture hairline is identical to the default position so even if I can use a stand alone Zola cap, pulling back its forehead will move the texture inside the head regardless. There goes that idea...

Last edited:

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Pics of my attempts are at the bottom of this post. I try to avoid Photoshop because I don't have the time to pick up another hobby...

What you did with dFormer looks really good but you said dFormer will cause problems when change poses. I would like to pose the character with the same hairstyle. Also I don't know how to use dFormer yet...

So here is default Zola:
It does not have the pulled back, tapered to the skull look I want. The hairline is also too low.
View attachment 1017857

So I reduced forehead depth by 33% and did some minor adjustments to remove the skullcap lines to get the pulled back look. To get the super tapered to the skull look I also reduced cutout opacity to 25%. It looks OK in closeup but where the hair touches the skull it loses the original fine hairs because skullcap is further inside the head so it looks wrong. It's worse with default cutout opacity at 100%.
View attachment 1017858

In more distance shot because skullcap is now deeper inside the head the forehead hair does not look natural. The sides also looks like cornrows because 25% cutout opacity made the outline stand out more. Increase cutout opacity improves the sides but the forehead then looks unnatural.
View attachment 1017860

edit:
Anyway to get OOT hair cap as a standalone? I imported a standalone hair cap and copy paste Zola surfaces and it turns out that OOT has different surface parameters. I am a noob so I don't know what this means but OOT hair cap has a "Cap Base Texture" where the fine strand details are located while its base color channel is just a color. The generic hair cap I use does not have a "Cap Base Texture" and in its base color channel it uses a texture map with hair strands. Looking at the hair shader products its seem they place hair strand map in the base color channel and lacks the cap base texture as well. If I copy OOT cap surface over to a generic hair cap I just end up with a cap of solid color. So it seems I need a OOT hair cap to show the fine hairs.

edit 2:
The Zola haircap texture hairline is identical to the default position so even if I can use a stand alone Zola cap, pulling back its forehead will move the texture inside the head regardless. There goes that idea...
Without the hair cap the resultant renders will look very strange. Unfortunately the morphs for the Zola hair asset (parameter settings) do not do what you are trying to do, which is to rotate the front section of the hair asset backwards to push the hairline further back. Really the only way to do this is to use a dformer. If you are really set on this look it's what you are going to have to do. Note that you need to adjust the dformer field to affect the correct section of the hair asset and then the adjustments is predominately changing X Rotate / Z Rotate. The reason I used a second dformer as well is that the ponytail band got too far away from the scalp.

On the character model I posted above I tried changing the pose and the hair tweak held. The dformer field and adjustment are tied to the hair asset, hence it should move with the character head. I have had bad experiences with poses / dformers it in the past when attempting to pin a characters ears back to fit a headband. You can fix, just takes a little time.

Reactions: 31971207

acusrola

May 30, 2020
I'm using this model (Tess) and I noticed that many shoes seem to really freak out.
pretty.jpg
There are some shoes that don't change at all, and I can vouch that it is the model's fault as when I dial down a hidden property "tess something" the crazy corners get a little less crazy but are still too visible to use. I though I could add shoes as separate to the model and then attach them, but they still load crazy like that. Without a model the shoes load fine.

Is there something I can do to prevent this or am I sol with this model and / or other models that cause whatever is happening?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I'm using this model (Tess) and I noticed that many shoes seem to really freak out.
View attachment 1018702
There are some shoes that don't change at all, and I can vouch that it is the model's fault as when I dial down a hidden property "tess something" the crazy corners get a little less crazy but are still too visible to use. I though I could add shoes as separate to the model and then attach them, but they still load crazy like that. Without a model the shoes load fine.

Is there something I can do to prevent this or am I sol with this model and / or other models that cause whatever is happening?
That looks to me like some vertexes in the shoe model are somehow not being influenced by the model's front foot/toe "bones".
If you hadn't said that many shoes had the same problem with the model, i would assume the shoe vertexes were not properly weight-mapped and assigned to the relevant model bone, and so do not deform with the model's toe bend like the rest of the shoe's toe area. That would be an error in the shoe model.

Another possibility is that the shoes that don't work are meant for a different Genesis version (G3 vs G8) and the auto-fit is not working properly?

But if you say it happens to several different shoes with "Tess", then it points to bad bone setup in the model. Theoretically you could try and fix this (there's some youtube videos about bones and weight mapping model vertexes within Daz) but it seems pretty difficult to me.

Just checked the link you provided to the model and it's a Daz Original. They generally have pretty good quality control, but in this case, if an issue has been reported in the model itself, it should be mentioned in the relevant Daz forums posts for the product. If you (cough cough) actually buy it from the daz store you could report the issue and see if they can help.

Another path is you might try to fix it manually, on a scene-by-scene basis with something like the "meshgrabber" addon, and move the problem shoe vertexes up to where they should be. But that will not be a permanent fix - next scene you'll probably have the same problem.

MarcCollins89

Game Artist
Game Developer
Nov 10, 2017
Does anyone know why I get messages like this?
2021-02-12 19:36:32.226 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.6 IRAY rend error: Unable to allocate 64.000 MiB from 46.801 MiB of available device memory
2021-02-12 19:36:32.227 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.2 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce RTX 3070): Scene setup failed
2021-02-12 19:36:32.227 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.2 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce RTX 3070): Device failed while rendering
2021-02-12 19:36:32.227 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.2 IRAY rend warn : All available GPUs failed.
WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.2 IRAY rend error: Fallback to CPU not allowed.
WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.2 IRAY rend error: All workers failed: aborting render
2021-02-12 19:36:32.227 Iray Render error: Internal rendering error.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
2021-02-12 19:36:32.226 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.6 IRAY rend error: Unable to allocate 64.000 MiB from 46.801 MiB of available device memory
That means your graphic card has not enough memory for the render.

1. quit all other programs except daz

2. if you can run your monitors on a different video card (or onboard video) during the render you can reduce the windows usage of the card memory

3. try to reduce the amount of objects with large textures in the scene. this can mean hiding objects that are not in the direct view of the camera viewport.

4. Reduce the size of memory usage of textures/materials. A good tool is "Scene Optimizer" (look in the forums). You can reduce the resolution of the texture images for objects that are far away from the camera with no visible change in quality. This is because the size of one pixel in the result render is much larger than several pixels in the texture, when the object is distant. Typically you should only need 4k texture map for extreme closeup, 1K or even lower is enough for background objects. Also you can use the same tool to remove e.g. bump maps or normal maps for far away objects to save even more memory.

MarcCollins89

Game Artist
Game Developer
Nov 10, 2017
That means your graphic card has not enough memory for the render.

1. quit all other programs except daz

2. if you can run your monitors on a different video card (or onboard video) during the render you can reduce the windows usage of the card memory

3. try to reduce the amount of objects with large textures in the scene. this can mean hiding objects that are not in the direct view of the camera viewport.

4. Reduce the size of memory usage of textures/materials. A good tool is "Scene Optimizer" (look in the forums). You can reduce the resolution of the texture images for objects that are far away from the camera with no visible change in quality. This is because the size of one pixel in the result render is much larger than several pixels in the texture, when the object is distant. Typically you should only need 4k texture map for extreme closeup, 1K or even lower is enough for background objects. Also you can use the same tool to remove e.g. bump maps or normal maps for far away objects to save even more memory.
But 64 MiB is only 67MB. How can a 8GB Card not find that small amount of memory?

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote