4.80 star(s) 5 Votes

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
not sure why most peopel seems to perfer renppy games over html games. i like the html games beter since it is easier to go to specific seens and it is easyr to know wat is required by oppening the html file in a text editer.
In terms of tweaking, all rpy files can be opened in text editors and modified. I personally find it easier with Renpy (unless the game structure is really complex), since the code is consolidated in fewer locations, whereas with HTML games, I have to open each page separately and then follow the breadcrumbs.

RaXorX

Dec 24, 2018
you know what gave me a good laugh, (**edited for sanity**)
JavaScript:
//adds 4 to cookie value
function varPlus4(name) {
    var val = readVar(name);
    val += 4;
    setVar(name, val);
}
//adds 8 to cookie value
function varPlus8(name) {
    var val = readVar(name);
    val += 8;
    setVar(name, val);
}
//adds 9 to cookie value
function varPlus9(name) {
    var val = readVar(name);
    val += 9;
    setVar(name, val);
}
wouldn't this cut out his 100's of lines of code?
JavaScript:
function varChange(name, value) {
    var val = readVar(name);
    val += value; // where -inf < value < inf
    setVar(name, val);
}
it's like he's using some generator, but I highly doubt this

also when you mean change colors, did you change the color of the choice before you click? did you use css and addclass or something?
Lmao it's the same in every of his game. Amazed that he hasn't left this habit of his from the early days. It's not just this, you can actually cut through 100s even 1000s of lines which are basically nothing more than just repeated code like this from numerous games of his.

sofwhite1

Dec 23, 2017
in regards to what raxoxor and divine proportions are talkin bout - i dont think the dsp guy ever learned for real any programming just is basically copy and pasting what chaotic does. and i dont think chaotic ever learned any programming either. it is kinda glaring when you are making browser based game that only works on the fourth or fifth most popular internet browser.

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
Well like I said somewhere else about this game when you play games that are being released from say last year and this on RenPy you can see how good the quality of those are and they get better all the time, this game and the others feel like they are still a few years behind I'm not bringing them down but it just feels a lesser quality game.

me3

Dec 31, 2016
With the problems this (and other) games have with using cookies for storing their data and ppl not being able to play them in most/many browsers and experience problems because the data amount goes beyond the allowed length, a workable fix is to change it to just use sessionStorage (or localStorage).

"Simply" replace the 3 functions in _functions.js with something like this and it should work better:
JavaScript:
function deleteVar(name) {
    sessionStorage.removeItem(name);
}

function setVar(name, value, expires) {
    sessionStorage.setItem(name, value);
}

function readVar(name) {
    return sessionStorage.getItem(name);
}
Small disclaimer, this should be considered a quick and dirty fix so it might have its own faults. Like playername not being affected cause for some reason that uses its very own write cookie function so you'd have to edit each of the #helloname.html.
Browser specific problems might exist too

ScottyLQ

Apr 28, 2017
Lmao it's the same in every of his game. Amazed that he hasn't left this habit of his from the early days. It's not just this, you can actually cut through 100s even 1000s of lines which are basically nothing more than just repeated code like this from numerous games of his.
They need to justify the game taking 2 years to make, folks.

4.80 star(s) 5 Votes