Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019
Having to rewatch a bunch of stuff because ch.7 broke my save and as an aside, Tilly seems quite dirty-minded and malicious for someone described as "True Believer" (unless it's church jargon for magical killer girls) and Karina even more surprisingly naive for a hacker (and possibly a russian one to boot).
About Karina.

I had introduced her character BEFORE Russia invaded Ukraine.
In hindsight I wish I would have made her something else. Like a Ukrainian refugee that hates Russians for invading her country.

Tilly is deeper than you think. First impressions can be so misleading.

That pretty well much goes for all the characters, except for the MC. Because you're already privy to all his thoughts.

The broke save issues should be fixed now (finally), I posted something about it in the OP.
See the CHANGELOG for more info.

Sonico

Forum Fanatic
Jul 21, 2018
About Karina.

I had introduced her character BEFORE Russia invaded Ukraine.
In hindsight I wish I would have made her something else. Like a Ukrainian refugee that hates Russians for invading her country.

Tilly is deeper than you think. First impressions can be so misleading.
Well, Tilly's comments and behaviour is kind of the left field for someone defined as "True Believer". But then nobody we have seen so far is exactly an average catholic priest or nun either....

Truth be told it's Karina's overall, i wouldn't say naivety per se, but very sheltered upbringing it seems that stuck as jarring to me, both in contrast to "True Believer" (but kind of naughty) Tilly and considering she's a computer whiz when, let's be honest, internet is an endless maze of lewdness. :LUL:

(Who knows, maybe she came from some survivalist comune or lived on the run, like John Connor & his crazy badass mom...)

Her being russian was kind of a guess on my part, wasn't being that attentive to say you implied anything either way, she could be ukranian, bulgarian, slovene or a bunch of other nationalities for all i (don't) know. No biggie and i'd say there's room to explore that later on if you feel like it.

The broke save issues should be fixed now (finally), I posted something about it in the OP.
See the CHANGELOG for more info.
Well, i kind of sidestepped it already, but thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: junior366

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019
It will all make sense, sooner or later.

In all my previous games the characters were one dimensional. Like a cheaply made tv series.

Here's a happy girl. She is happy. Watch her be happy. For the rest of the game. And so on.
I decided to try giving the characters a little more depth in this one.

First impressions are usually a reflection of how people portray themselves to others.
Once you get to know them they're often quite different. Basically the same, but... different. Not as you would have expected.

Like a spiteful old woman that goes out of her way to save a stray kitten.
Or a penny-pinching factory owner that cuts back on his employee's benefits, but lavishes gifts on his only child.

Or at least that's the plan. :rolleyes:
Now all I have to do is pull it off.

MystrageX

Apr 24, 2020
same as everyone else have save problems, Old saves just crash the game had-to skip until where I left-off at.

Pixieblink BTW, great writing this update got me Crying a few times :cry:

Last edited:

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
yea update was nice and "dirty" priest got few peeks.

my saves didn't work (tried 2) so skip until nun's hj was over.

also Pixieblink it's APARTMENT not APPARTsomething.

Last edited:

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018

I'm the one who has been doing the proofreading for the game in the last two updates, and I was pretty sure I changed all "Appartment" to "Apartment" when I went through it and handed in the proofread rpy file to Pixie.

So if there was one (or more) error that is still there, then that miss is on me.

Reactions: Pixieblink

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
I'm the one who has been doing the proofreading for the game in the last two updates, and I was pretty sure I changed all "Appartment" to "Apartment" when I went through it and handed in the proofread rpy file to Pixie.

So if there was one (or more) error that is still there, then that miss is on me.
everytime mc chatted about it on this update.

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019
same as everyone else have save problems, Old saves just crash the game had-to skip until where I left-off at.

Pixieblink BTW, great writing this update got me Crying a few times :cry:
Glad you enjoyed it.

That's about it for the "mystery surrounded by an enigma" building part of the game.
Starting in chapter 8 the ball really starts rolling.

Sorry about the saves, it was the best solution I could come up.
On the bright side, starting in chapter 7 all the "loading old game" problems should now be resolved.

Reactions: BarbarrossaNA

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019

Good. That the update was appreciated.
I DO like hearing what people think of the game, either good or bad.
I'm always looking for ways to improve it.

Someone beat you to it (finding the extra p in appartment) :ROFLMAO:
It's already been fixed for the next update. But thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: BarbarrossaNA

junior366

Jun 20, 2017
Good. That the update was appreciated.

Someone beat you to it (finding the extra p in appartment) :ROFLMAO:
It's already been fixed for the next update. But thanks for pointing it out.
If you ever need an extra eye to look at the script, I have two available!

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019
Right, so it's been a couple of days and things have had time to propagate around.
Thanks for your patience.

Except for those two nit-wits who rated the game as low as they could because they were offended.

For everyone else... here's the nag-free patch.
Just unzip and copy+overwrite the .webm files into the /images directory of the game.

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
Right, so it's been a couple of days and things have had time to propagate around.
Thanks for your patience.

Except for those two nit-wits who rated the game as low as they could because they were offended.

For everyone else... here's the nag-free patch.
Just unzip and copy+overwrite the .webm files into the /images directory of the game.

Pixeldrain
Just something which has been on my mind.

How much boundaries will you be pushing in terms of the "horror" genre aspect for the game?
In my view the horror tag in the Zone (this site) feels like it's given pretty haphazardly in general (though for SINS from what we've seen so far, I find it to be more appropriate).

For example, if a game has vampires in it, even if it isn't that much of a horror (and more inclined towards action adventure), it's given the horror tag.
I'm not necessarily saying such games are bad. But there are very few games on the site which makes me go "this game definitely fits having the horror tag", despite many having them.

Kinda wish this game would be an outlier (and I mean that in a most positive way possible) and have it become much more gravitated towards horror genre than a lot of the others have been doing (even though some folks might dismiss my comments saying "lol it's a game, how scary/shocking can it really get?").
Not saying horror genre should overwhelm every single scene, but just that initial chapters 1 & 2 tone that the world was giving, which was very eerie, I certainly liked that a lot.

Last edited:

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019
Just something which has been on my mind.

How much boundaries will you be pushing in terms of the "horror" genre aspect for the game?
In my view the horror tag in the Zone (this site) feels like it's given pretty haphazardly in general (though for SINS from what we've seen so far, I find it to be more appropriate).
I hear what you're saying. So many of the "horror" movies are either a joke, or so poorly done that they inflict brain damage on anyone that watches it.

The game's about a guy who is dragged into defending the world against an invasion of demons. Not quite against his will, but... almost. He certainly never volunteered for it.

So as dark and as creepy as I can make it. With some actions scenes and a few plot twists.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Having to rewatch a bunch of stuff because ch.7 broke my save and as an aside, Tilly seems quite dirty-minded and malicious for someone described as "True Believer" (unless it's church jargon for magical killer girls) and Karina even more surprisingly naive for a hacker (and possibly a russian one to boot).
Well, Tilly's comments and behaviour is kind of the left field for someone defined as "True Believer". But then nobody we have seen so far is exactly an average catholic priest or nun either....
That last point you made, Sonico, I think gets closer to the explanation. The thing with the sisterhood is that they worship the Grey Lady, who specifically is described as maintaining balance between Good and Evil. Things like moral purity don't exactly apply to followers of some being who sometimes has them fight for Evil against Good (which Francine explains to the MC after recovering from Karina's bullet.) So "True Believer" here would probably refer to one who truly believes in the work of the Grey Lady, not necessarily committed to standard precepts of the Catholic faith more broadly. I don't think the Catholic Church itself would be OK with their looser view on sexuality, but this sect who specifically follow the Grey One probably hold to different standards than the main part of the church.

Taking views of morality in the reverse extreme, the Flagellants or certain Benedictine monks (like Peter Damian) engaged in self-harm as a way to "purify" themselves during the Middle Ages. The vast majority of the Catholic church never did that self-flagellation. Sects sometimes have varied beliefs, whether much stricter or much looser. I believe the Sorores Misericordiae are governed by considerably different rules.
Truth be told it's Karina's overall, i wouldn't say naivety per se, but very sheltered upbringing it seems that stuck as jarring to me, both in contrast to "True Believer" (but kind of naughty) Tilly and considering she's a computer whiz when, let's be honest, internet is an endless maze of lewdness. :LUL:

(Who knows, maybe she came from some survivalist comune or lived on the run, like John Connor & his crazy badass mom...)
We don't know Karina's full story or background yet, so I think this is a bit of a premature conclusion about the character. I would guess the sheltered lifestyle you mention is a likely contributor, and there are places where the Internet is considerably locked down / monitored, so that lewd sites and content might have been withheld from her previously. It could also be that she just is naturally shy about that type of thing and so never had a desire to delve into stuff she found online. Just because a lot of people get curious or turned on by things they find doesn't mean it's safe to assume everyone does. There just isn't enough that we know yet about her.

lionarslan

Jun 11, 2017
Pixieblink

Began playing your game.
Let's start with good things. Music is not just good, it sets the mood and I think it's really important. Especially in story-driven VN. Like your game, obviously.
Another good thing - languages. I cannot say nothing about Greek (I don't speak or read Greek unfortunately) and I say about Latin later but it's really awesome how you showed us Russian accent. To this moment (MC reading Bernadette's note on the frock) there's no error in Russian and Russian accent... you catch what's important in that accent, missing "service" verbs and problems with pronounciation some phonems that are not present in Russian (like w or th, for example). Of course, any Russian would wonder what girl with Tatar name (Karina is a Tatar name, not Slavic one, it's Russian too, just has some ethnicity added) is doing in Catholic Church (not Russian Orthodox Chuch or Muslim religion) but there are ways to explain this. You're telling us a story and that story is captivating one for sure.
Renders are in their respectful place so I say nothing about it. Okay, good part is over.
Latin language. I happen to know some basics in Latin, I can thank biological faculty during my university years for that. Of course, our Latin was for only one semester and it was just an introductory course but I was always curious about languages. So when I see phrase in Latin I try to translate it. And it happens all the time. So when I saw your sentences in Latin I tried to translate them. To my dissapointment I found that there was no subject on Maddy's visiting card, both sentences missed it. I blamed it on Google translate (just like with Russian language in Powers That Be, Google translate is never enough for that) but then I encounter other sentences in Latin and they were correct. There's a difference between English and Latin and what is written on the back of Maddy's visiting card is totally sit in that difference. In that particular case both sentences must have a subject and I can say that there's no "chosen one" in Latin in your sentences. And I can honestly say that it is the biggest negative thing I can say about your game. More of that, that's the only one negative thing I can say about your game. I sincerely enjoy playing it and I wish you'll tell us the whole story till the very end.

P.S: Just remebered, "со щитом иль может быть на щите", как Цой пел ("With a shield or maybe on a shield", as (a great Russian rock singer) Tsoy sang), he citated Spartan women's farewell, the word "shield" repeats in both parts of the sentence, it's essential. And there's no repeating a word in your Greek. I guess it's Google translate again

Last edited:

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019
Pixieblink

Began playing your game.
Let's start with good things. Music is not just good, it sets the mood and I think it's really important. Especially in story-driven VN. Like your game, obviously.
Another good thing - languages. I cannot say nothing about Greek (I don't speak or read Greek unfortunately) and I say about Latin later but it's really awesome how you showed us Russian accent. To this moment (MC reading Bernadette's note on the frock) there's no error in Russian and Russian accent... you catch what's important in that accent, missing "service" verbs and problems with pronounciation some phonems that are not present in Russian (like w or th, for example). Of course, any Russian would wonder what girl with Tatar name (Karina is a Tatar name, not Slavic one, it's Russian too, just has some ethnicity added) is doing in Catholic Church (not Russian Orthodox Chuch or Muslim religion) but there are ways to explain this. You're telling us a story and that story is captivating one for sure.
Renders are in their respectful place so I say nothing about it. Okay, good part is over.
Latin language. I happen to know some basics in Latin, I can thank biological faculty during my university years for that. Of course, our Latin was for only one semester and it was just an introductory course but I was always curious about languages. So when I see phrase in Latin I try to translate it. And it happens all the time. So when I saw your sentences in Latin I tried to translate them. To my dissapointment I found that there was no subject on Maddy's visiting card, both sentences missed it. I blamed it on Google translate (just like with Russian language in Powers That Be, Google translate is never enough for that) but then I encounter other sentences in Latin and they were correct. There's a difference between English and Latin and what is written on the back of Maddy's visiting card is totally sit in that difference. In that particular case both sentences must have a subject and I can say that there's no "chosen one" in Latin in your sentences. And I can honestly say that it is the biggest negative thing I can say about your game. More of that, that's the only one negative thing I can say about your game. I sincerely enjoy playing it and I wish you'll tell us the whole story till the very end.

P.S: Just remebered, "со щитом иль может быть на щите", как Цой пел ("With a shield or maybe on a shield", as (a great Russian rock singer) Tsoy sang), he citated Spartan women's farewell, the word "shield" repeats in both parts of the sentence, it's essential. And there's no repeating a word in your Greek. I guess it's Google translate again

Oh shit! :oops:
I never thought an international linguist would play the game. :ROFLMAO:
I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

First of all I'm glad you enjoyed it. Which is, after all is said and done, the entire point of this little venture.

And thanks for the feedback.
I agree, realism does help with the immersion.

The Spartan shield thing, I admit to exercising a little "creative translating" as it sounded redundant when transcribed into English. Never thought somebody would notice, let alone call me out on it :)

The rest blew past me going about Mach 2.6
I HAVE been using a few different online translation programs as my Greek, Latin and Russian are non-existent.
If you would care to toss over any corrections, I will happily include them in the next update of the game.

Once again, thanks for playing. I do enjoy hearing back from people who've tried the game out.

I think you'll enjoy the next update (chapter 8, August 2nd release date) .
All the characters have been introduced and some of their backstories were at least hinted at.
Next release is when things start coming together.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
well 1 german person suggested deepl for me.
DeepL works pretty well for modern languages but it doesn't provide translations for Latin, unless I've missed some more obscure option somewhere. Google Translate does provide that, but it's less accurate at times.

lionarslan

Jun 11, 2017
Oh shit! :oops:
I never thought an international linguist would play the game. :ROFLMAO:
I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.
I value the humor of your words, but no international linguist here, just not-so-common Russian with some basics of Latin, nothing more.
The Spartan shield thing, I admit to exercising a little "creative translating" as it sounded redundant when transcribed into English. Never thought somebody would notice, let alone call me out on it :)

The rest blew past me going about Mach 2.6
I HAVE been using a few different online translation programs as my Greek, Latin and Russian are non-existent.
If you would care to toss over any corrections, I will happily include them in the next update of the game.
I guess I flatter you too much)
I see that your knowledge of Russian isn't deep, you totally correct in translation "scrawny little bitch" but in the next phrase (in Russian), when MC says "Then I really would have you whipped" he speaks about himself in female gender. In that case correct Russian phrase would be "Тогда я бы действительно тебя выпорол". I guess it's hard to explain to any translation software the gender of the person which words you are trying to translate in Russian.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-
4.20 star(s) 56 Votes