VN Ren'Py A Foreign World [Ep. 4.5] [HighbornTiger]

4.30 star(s) 49 Votes

HighbornTiger

Sizable Pianissimo M*C^2
Game Developer
Sep 7, 2018
Hmmm, the reviews here are much better than on Steam. Usually, it's the opposite. Wonder what's up with that? :unsure:
You and me both. My best guess is that there is not enough early sex. There are other reasons, but in my mind, it comes down to not having enough spicy content for the price. One reviewer, for example, played 30 minutes but claimed he played the entire game (2.5 hours of reading if you are very fast). I believe him, though. He read for ten minutes, then skipped through to the spicy content and was disappointed to only find one sex scene. Also, if I were to do it again, I'd rather release in September with twice the amount of content.
Some things I do are trial and error. This one was somewhat of an error.

The semi animation thing is nice, but, the player never knows how long to wait, or if the game is in the mode where pictures will start going on their own. You may want to consider adding a little "play symbol" somewhere to let us know when we should not click/push enter.
I'll do that. The issue has been raised before, but I didn't take it too seriously because I've never seen this kind of function in other games.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Why in hell is keep pushing MC to sleep with Sue
Because it fits with the story. Everyone else has to warm up to MC.

he is emotional and dumb.
Can't argue with that. Maybe that's the point?
But maybe it's not the point, and MC has other reasons to act a certain way and it is neither emotional nor dumb. Do you know? No, since the game hasn't explained that part yet.

I'm not sure where you came up with this, unless Steam has changed their terms, but I know of several games here that have both Steam and public releases. The public release is typically a while behind Steam, one developer I can think of actually releases one iteration behind their Patreon and Steam release.
Sure, other games might do it. This doesn't mean that Steam allows for it in their terms of service, just that it isn't enforced. I've heard it from other developers. Also, I don't really want to give my game away for free if it doesn't mean more money for myself. We can talk about it when I reached the point where I no longer have to worry about making a living, but for now, much of my work will stay behind a paywall.

Who's the virgin character of this game?
Pretty much all of them, except Fiona, Cecilia, and the MC

Content_Consumer

Dec 24, 2019
I like the content so far, the story/plot is decent, the writing is quite above average, the renders are quite good.

I have just a couple of issues, though they may seem fairly small;

First, some technical/design points;

I don't like auto-forwarding scenes, it seems like I either have to wait and see if the scene auto-forwards, only to find it doesn't or I am clicking and then I miss some text or something because it starts auto-forwarding and then I have to roll back to see it.
I'd rather have no auto-forwards and just click my own way through.

And with that in mind I don't like forced pauses or transitions, I just want the next scene/text to come up when I click.

Second, some plot/story points;

Copying abilities is tremendously painful but Sue specifically says it'd be even better if she fainted because then she couldn't feel it.
So logically why not sedate each person with anesthetic before then copying the ability? Strong opiate painkillers [morphine? Oxycodone for anyone who can't be penetrated by a needle?]?

Then as for beating Nethaniel, well people are 60% water so that should open up many possibilities if her gets in physical contact. Based on what we're being told about Aurora's ability and how it looks like it actually controls energy then that should be an I-Win ability, as every cell in your body relies on energy to function, not least of which are brain and nerve cells.
So presumably with practice our MC could just instantly paralyze an enemy or even kill them by stopping brain function?
Potentially could even puppet someone by taking control of their nervous system.

Finally, when the fight becomes close contact then couldn't the MC just copy Nethaniel's abilities?

I only say these things as they seem obvious to me immediately but none of the characters have seemed to mention it.

If that fails;
Hellfire R9X

primerchart.jpg

Since it seems fighting in this other world is typically done with melee weapons then lets use a Hellfire R9X, basically a sword on steroids specifically designed for targeting individual people.

Frideger

Mar 11, 2018
I found this game here and enjoyed it. When it came out on Steam, I signed up for it. Haven't played it through there yet, but I was wondering about the updates on the Steam version?

Bloodguard

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2021
I found this game here and enjoyed it. When it came out on Steam, I signed up for it. Haven't played it through there yet, but I was wondering about the updates on the Steam version?
It gets regular updates on Steam and Patreon from what I understand. It gets updated here when some pirate leaks it. ;)

Reactions: OptimusCrime

Frideger

Mar 11, 2018
It gets regular updates on Steam and Patreon from what I understand. It gets updated here when some pirate leaks it. ;)
I figured that part out...just haven't seen any update notices on Steam, so I was wondering. Thanks for the reply!

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020
Since it seems fighting in this other world is typically done with melee weapons then lets use a Hellfire R9X, basically a sword on steroids specifically designed for targeting individual people.
My mind went a similar direction.

Snipers. Three or four spaced apart, and far enough away that he can't instantly know they are there. I'd bet he can't stop more than one incoming round at a time.

HighbornTiger

Sizable Pianissimo M*C^2
Game Developer
Sep 7, 2018
Question (I know it's poorly formulated):
Does Steam allow developers who sell a game as early access on steam to freely give away older versions of the same game?

Answer:
1678872209761.png

^^ If you read between the lines, it's fairly obvious that ChatGPT doesn't actually know if Steam allows the free distribution of old versions of a game but simply gives an educated guess.

So that people know, this leak didn't result in an increase in my Patreon numbers. Maybe if my game trends on a site and reaches more people, this might be different, but for now, there are zero benefits to releasing a free version of my game that's one or two updates behind. Why risk trouble with Steam if Steam is almost singlehandedly paying for the production of A Foreign World? They will be 80-95% of my income this year and they don't think twice about banning relatively small games like mine.

Maybe some people believe that I should create games for the joy of creating games. There are other developers that do that. Some do it after their regular 9-5, while others are already retired. I for my part, like it when people enjoy my work. It's a big reason why I want to make a living creating AVNs. That way I can spend more time creating more stuff that more people can read and enjoy. Maybe some won't agree with how I'm doing things but after reading this post everyone should at least understand where I'm coming from.

Bloodguard

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2021
Question (I know it's poorly formulated):
Does Steam allow developers who sell a game as early access on steam to freely give away older versions of the same game?

Answer:
View attachment 2468608

^^ If you read between the lines, it's fairly obvious that ChatGPT doesn't actually know if Steam allows the free distribution of old versions of a game but simply gives an educated guess.

So that people know, this leak didn't result in an increase in my Patreon numbers. Maybe if my game trends on a site and reaches more people, this might be different, but for now, there are zero benefits to releasing a free version of my game that's one or two updates behind. Why risk trouble with Steam if Steam is almost singlehandedly paying for the production of A Foreign World? They will be 80-95% of my income this year and they don't think twice about banning relatively small games like mine.

Maybe some people believe that I should create games for the joy of creating games. There are other developers that do that. Some do it after their regular 9-5, while others are already retired. I for my part, like it when people enjoy my work. It's a big reason why I want to make a living creating AVNs. That way I can spend more time creating more stuff that more people can read and enjoy. Maybe some won't agree with how I'm doing things but after reading this post everyone should at least understand where I'm coming from.
I never understood why it's somehow noble to be a "starving artist". Why shouldn't they get paid for their creativity?
No one expects us to work our crap 9 to 5 jobs for free just to support the "greater good". :unsure:

Reactions: HighbornTiger

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020
Be aware that ChatGPT isn't fully up to date information wise. When it first came out, the data it had available was limited to 2020 and earlier, nothing newer. Of course, this may have been updated since, I don't follow it that closely.

Either way, a developer has no requirement to post anything here at all. Those who choose to do so do it at their own risk. They may convert some of us freebooters into paying patrons, but not usually.

It's their decision to do so or not. We should respect that and stop badgering them.

Reactions: HighbornTiger
4.30 star(s) 49 Votes