Ren'Py Abandoned A Game of Words [v0.1.6] [GAON]

kokoadict

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2018
Sorry mate, but it's all a little confusing, you don't understand what to do, every direction I click you tell me "Go back, this is not done yet", personally I would remove the sandbox part.
Was interested in the game, some nice previews - but then I saw the ones with the maps...

So here some comments from me regarding that:

- If you really want to do a free roam / sandbox, then you better release the game when there is already quite some content in it. There is nothing more annoying than a "not implemented yet" already in the beginning. I would even recommend to remove this version here again with the little content - otherwise there will only be frustration and maybe harsh comments.

- Also there will soon be someone asking for a "hint" system. So be better prepared for that as well.

- Very important: set the sandbox tag for this game! Otherwise there will be - again - frustration. And believe me, there will be really bad feedback because this was missing!

In general, I think sandbox/free roam games are not that popular anymore, just because there were a lot of bad implementations already. And most game devs I know who made a poll whether sandbox or VN, have quickly removed the free roam part again and switched to VN style
Thanks for the feedback, it really helps me a lot. Im having so much fun doing the game and will try to make it better for the nex update. I know for sure that im going to remove the world navigation map, probably still do some freeroam events, but leave it to the latest versions.
So, there will be no navigation nor freeroam in the next update, will focus on the characters and adding more content.

Allan Trumbull

Forum Fanatic
Sep 10, 2021
Thanks for the feedback, it really helps me a lot. Im having so much fun doing the game and will try to make it better for the nex update. I know for sure that im going to remove the world navigation map, probably still do some freeroam events, but leave it to the latest versions.
So, there will be no navigation nor freeroam in the next update, will focus on the characters and adding more content.
I prefer sandbox
Just add a good quest log / hint section

• Angry
Reactions: Voilsh and MadCore

kokoadict

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2018
I prefer sandbox
Just add a good quest log / hint section
You know what? Lets do it too, 2 versions of the game, 1 with navigation and 1 without it, same content, different gameplay. Next update will be in 2 different posts. I personally prefer navigation and have fun doing it, but i want my game to reach the people who dont too.

Gleemer

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2018

Here is the Italian translation
of A Game of Words [v0.1.5]

This translation is "unofficial, it was created by a fan.

Ecco la traduzione italiana
di un fan A Game of Words [v0.1.5]

Questa traduzione "non è ufficiale" è stata generata da un fan.

Here is the Italian translation
of A Game of Words [v0.1.4.1 Beta]

This translation is "unofficial, it was created by a fan.

Ecco la traduzione italiana
di un fan A Game of Words [v0.1.4.1 Beta]

Questa traduzione "non è ufficiale" è stata generata da un fan.

Italian translation

Updated: 2021-11-17
Version: 0.1.5

serkan34

Nov 15, 2020
i can't get any further he keeps saying i warn you on shool
what do i have to do at school? she says first door on the right the first door on left but he warns me

kschn68

Jul 18, 2019
You know what? Lets do it too, 2 versions of the game, 1 with navigation and 1 without it, same content, different gameplay. Next update will be in 2 different posts. I personally prefer navigation and have fun doing it, but i want my game to reach the people who dont too.
Not sure if this is a good decision. Some devs already tried that as well - and failed most of the time. This works mostly 1-2 updates, then both versions suffer from it, because you can't really do it both ways at the same time. I can remember such a game, where the scenes in the VN didn't really fit together, you could clearly see in the VN version where the free roam part should be...

Since you said yourself, you prefer one with navigation - I would put the focus on it and just mark it here accordingly. Well, nevertheless, good luck with it.

kokoadict

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2018
Not sure if this is a good decision. Some devs already tried that as well - and failed most of the time. This works mostly 1-2 updates, then both versions suffer from it, because you can't really do it both ways at the same time. I can remember such a game, where the scenes in the VN didn't really fit together, you could clearly see in the VN version where the free roam part should be...

Since you said yourself, you prefer one with navigation - I would put the focus on it and just mark it here accordingly. Well, nevertheless, good luck with it.
Thanks, anyway, im gonna try to do it both ways. If it fails, there is always something to learn about.

Reactions: Jesl75

krish719

Jul 30, 2021
Many people skip games that have sandbox tag even if the game has optional VN mode and creating two different versions take a lot of time which can be used for further progression of story , nvm it's your game . Added to the ignore list , good luck with your game .

kschn68

Jul 18, 2019
Like "simple days" ?? It is a hit game
Was a bit curious about that "hit game" and, well....
- Graphics: 4:3 wtf ????
- the "VN mode" has still grinding according some reviews....
- a game rating with 3.5...
- about 150 patreons since the game start for more then a year...

Don't get me wrong, the game is maybe not bad. But a "hit game"?

Last edited:

Allan Trumbull

Forum Fanatic
Sep 10, 2021
Was a bit curious about that "hit game" and, well....
- Graphics: 4:3 wtf ????
- the "VN mode" has still grinding according some revious....
- a game rating with 3.5...
- about 150 patreons since the game start for more then a year...

Don't get me wrong, the game is maybe not bad. But a "hit game"?
Just trY that thing on sandbox mod. U wull get it what i mean

• Angry
Reactions: HansDampf788

kschn68

Jul 18, 2019
Just trY that thing on sandbox mod. U wull get it what i mean
Maybe you misunderstood my posts a bit: I am not that into sandbox / freeroam, I am more the VN type. And I hate grinding. For me the most unnecessary thing in a game ever. But of course to each their own. And since that is apparently present even in VN mode there, I' m sure I won't try that thing.

Well, will now also get out of here, as said I have my doubts about the "dual" development...

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
Well, had that game on my list for trying....now I'm not sure why....
Don't know if the sandbox tag was there before (otherwise I normally would have ignored it), but since I already downloaded and installed it I gave it a try. Well... :oops:

I hope the developer does not take it too badly from my following comments. I also have no idea about game development, coding etc. and look at the game from a player's point of view compared to all the other games available here.

The good ones:
The renders are ok. When I would have to rate them it would be something 2.5 - 3. Not the worst, for me a bit below average. But again, it's ok for me. Also the story(s) could be ok, too. Don't know if three completely different routes are a good decision for a new dev, because it seems you already struggle with the one route you are doing...

Well, now to the not so good:
Since I am normally not playing sandbox games I won't comment at that to much, only two things are really bad there imo: almost every click leads to a "go back, it's not done yet" - wtf???? And even there is so little content there are already bugs in it (you get stuck in the gym). I'm already worried when the game becomes more complicated later on...
I am not a native english speaking person. But the "engrish" is very strong here, even for me a bit to much. Also the writing/storytelling is not good. Come on, you wake up in the morning, make the decision of your life in a second, and voila, route is locked in... And of course the first "lewd" scenes are your own dick and a "dream" scene in the bathroom, oh my...

Well, this one seems unfortunately exactly one of those why I mostly ignore games with the sandbox tag: It's released way to early with very few content and the sandbox is added as a "filler", the whole game is more a tech demo of an (imo not really good made) free roam part.

I know this post is maybe to harsh, but I was a bit frustrated from the "game experience". So please don't take it to seriously, it's of course only a personal opinion from me. Anyway, good luck to the dev.

kokoadict

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2018
Well, had that game on my list for trying....now I'm not sure why....
Don't know if the sandbox tag was there before (otherwise I normally would have ignored it), but since I already downloaded and installed it I gave it a try. Well... :oops:

I hope the developer does not take it too badly from my following comments. I also have no idea about game development, coding etc. and look at the game from a player's point of view compared to all the other games available here.

The good ones:
The renders are ok. When I would have to rate them it would be something 2.5 - 3. Not the worst, for me a bit below average. But again, it's ok for me. Also the story(s) could be ok, too. Don't know if three completely different routes are a good decision for a new dev, because it seems you already struggle with the one route you are doing...

Well, now to the not so good:
Since I am normally not playing sandbox games I won't comment at that to much, only two things are really bad there imo: almost every click leads to a "go back, it's not done yet" - wtf???? And even there is so little content there are already bugs in it (you get stuck in the gym). I'm already worried when the game becomes more complicated later on...
I am not a native english speaking person. But the "engrish" is very strong here, even for me a bit to much. Also the writing/storytelling is not good. Come on, you wake up in the morning, make the decision of your life in a second, and voila, route is locked in... And of course the first "lewd" scenes are your own dick and a "dream" scene in the bathroom, oh my...

Well, this one seems unfortunately exactly one of those why I mostly ignore games with the sandbox tag: It's released way to early with very few content and the sandbox is added as a "filler", the whole game is more a tech demo of an (imo not really good made) free roam part.

I know this post is maybe to harsh, but I was a bit frustrated from the "game experience". So please don't take it to seriously, it's of course only a personal opinion from me. Anyway, good luck to the dev.
All comments are appreciated and will help me with the game, its true that I released the game to early, I can just say that I was way to excited with the tought of creating something and wanted to share it.
Im working on adding more content, and for the momment, I have 3 new animations and a few cgi for the gallery. You can check them out on the discord.
I enjoy so much the sandbox making process and thats why im adding it. The story work without it as well, so there will be a "no sandbox" version.
The storytelling is not the final script, once ive finished the first route, ill focus on the writting to make it better.

• Love
Reactions: Jesl75

WastedTalent

Dec 11, 2020
can you make it play like a vn instead of sandbox as well?