Ren'Py Abandoned A Game of Words [v0.1.6] [GAON]

Gleemer

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2018

Here is the Italian translation
of A Game of Words [v0.1.5]

This translation is "unofficial, it was created by a fan.

Ecco la traduzione italiana
di un fan A Game of Words [v0.1.5]

Questa traduzione "non è ufficiale" è stata generata da un fan.

Here is the Italian translation
of A Game of Words [v0.1.4.1 Beta]

This translation is "unofficial, it was created by a fan.

Ecco la traduzione italiana
di un fan A Game of Words [v0.1.4.1 Beta]

Questa traduzione "non è ufficiale" è stata generata da un fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: kokoadict

Haremm lover

Sep 20, 2017
I have downloaded the latest update but when I load from previous save it is ending same place where it ended last update

kokoadict

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2018
I have downloaded the latest update but when I load from previous save it is ending same place where it ended last update
This update was just for the menu and try the free navigation. The next one (in 1 or 2 days) comes with more content, srry for the waiting.

Haremm lover

Sep 20, 2017
This update was just for the menu and try the free navigation. The next one (in 1 or 2 days) comes with more content, srry for the waiting.
No need to be sorry. I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong or something like that.

EZ8lt

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2019
Didnt thought giving the player freedom was that bad. Ill look into it and make a poll to change it. It was not planned to add it, but i thought it was a feature that mos people would like.
Allright I'll bite. What kind of freedom are you talking about? The ability to choose the order of the events being completed? Because that what every sandbox adult game offers on one side, and on the other they are all kinetic as hell, with all the events getting the same outcome. That could be achieved by listing the events and then choosing whatever you like first, then second, etc as well.

Whenever I see a city map I cringe, because that usually mean some sort of grind mechanic eventually introduced in the game, and believe me, many player hates that or the senless extra clicking which only make them feel that the game tries to artifically increase content time which isn't there in reality.

kokoadict

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2018
Allright I'll bite. What kind of freedom are you talking about? The ability to choose the order of the events being completed? Because that what every sandbox adult game offers on one side, and on the other they are all kinetic as hell, with all the events getting the same outcome. That could be achieved by listing the events and then choosing whatever you like first, then second, etc as well.

Whenever I see a city map I cringe, because that usually mean some sort of grind mechanic eventually introduced in the game, and believe me, many player hates that or the senless extra clicking which only make them feel that the game tries to artifically increase content time which isn't there in reality.
Hi, thanks for clarifing that, thats not what my "free navigation" is for, the game will give you the money you need in the story, not with any sort of minigame. The free navigation is for the secret images Ive hidden in the places.
Also, the game events order are divided in days, and the day will not change until you sleep in the bed(WIP). There will be some cases where if you do something, another event will close. Ill appreciate so much some feedback since its my first time doing a game.

Reactions: fishbulb123

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
Didnt thought giving the player freedom was that bad. Ill look into it and make a poll to change it. It was not planned to add it, but i thought it was a feature that mos people would like.
I prefer the normal classic VN style. The dev writes the story and gives the players options. Those options need to mean something. Not filler that has no meaning. So, that means creating variables in the script that are remembered. This way the game keeps track of the choices and the dev writes the paths accordingly.

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
The OP tells me nothing about the story, there are no future tags, in one post the Dev talks about 3 different paths and in another one, he talks about harem and now he talks about sandbox/freeroam elements, I really have no idea what the game is about or what to expect from it.

kokoadict

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2018
The OP tells me nothing about the story, there are no future tags, in one post the Dev talks about 3 different paths and in another one, he talks about harem and now he talks about sandbox/freeroam elements, I really have no idea what the game is about or what to expect from it.
Hi, thanks for the reply,
about the future tags, my bad, someone also told me to do that and I forgot, will put it in the dev notes when I finish replying this.
About the posts you talk about, its like I wrote, there are 3 paths planned: 1- College(campus life, fraternitys, teachers, etc), 2- Office(You work for your father in his company, Office womans, your stepmom, etc) 3- You decide to live by your own in the streets(This is a path that involves drugs, police and stealing).
Every path has its own choices and 3+ endings (The streets one only have 2). The story is written already, but the renders, animations and coding takes time. (Im learning atm so its not like I can do it in 1 week)
I hope this respods you, if not, feel free to reply again.

• Sad
Reactions: HansDampf788

kokoadict

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2018
I prefer the normal classic VN style. The dev writes the story and gives the players options. Those options need to mean something. Not filler that has no meaning. So, that means creating variables in the script that are remembered. This way the game keeps track of the choices and the dev writes the paths accordingly.
Seems like the majority does, ill think on it for the next update and maybe remove it. Anyway, thanks for replying.

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
About the posts you talk about, its like I wrote, there are 3 paths planned: 1- College(campus life, fraternitys, teachers, etc), 2- Office(You work for your father in his company, Office womans, your stepmom, etc) 3- You decide to live by your own in the streets(This is a path that involves drugs, police and stealing).
I'm a pure harem player so I want all the content in one playthrough so games that require me to play them multiple times to get all the content are not my thing.

kschn68

Jul 18, 2019
Was interested in the game, some nice previews - but then I saw the ones with the maps...

So here some comments from me regarding that:

- If you really want to do a free roam / sandbox, then you better release the game when there is already quite some content in it. There is nothing more annoying than a "not implemented yet" already in the beginning. I would even recommend to remove this version here again with the little content - otherwise there will only be frustration and maybe harsh comments.

- Also there will soon be someone asking for a "hint" system. So be better prepared for that as well.

- Very important: set the sandbox tag for this game! Otherwise there will be - again - frustration. And believe me, there will be really bad feedback because this was missing!

In general, I think sandbox/free roam games are not that popular anymore, just because there were a lot of bad implementations already. And most game devs I know who made a poll whether sandbox or VN, have quickly removed the free roam part again and switched to VN style