-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Oh well, i guess i just have to redownload the game
I don't know if this is the case, but if you happen to have anything from an extended character set (like an en dash [–] or em dash [—]) those can sometimes get rejected by Ren'Py and Python. I don't know in what language the updater is written, but I'd make sure nowhere in the folder path has those (all the way from the drive letter to the folder of the game), as they could pose a problem. Again, I'm not an expert, but I know they have caused problems in the past for me and others.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I don't know if this is the case, but if you happen to have anything from an extended character set (like an en dash [–] or em dash [—]) those can sometimes get rejected by Ren'Py and Python. I don't know in what language the updater is written, but I'd make sure nowhere in the folder path has those (all the way from the drive letter to the folder of the game), as they could pose a problem. Again, I'm not an expert, but I know they have caused problems in the past for me and others.
Doesn't even need to be extended; a standard ASCII colon in the path causes Ren'Py to shit itself.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Doesn't even need to be extended; a standard ASCII colon in the path causes Ren'Py to shit itself.
Well, it might not be true for other OSes, but in Windows a colon isn't allowed, either. It's one of Windows' prohibited characters for a file or folder, only used after a drive letter. So it actually shouldn't be allowed, given Ren'Py tries to work with multiple systems. But I get what you're saying; it's definitely too restrictive.

segaegae

Dec 5, 2021
Well, it might not be true for other OSes, but in Windows a colon isn't allowed, either. It's one of Windows' prohibited characters for a file or folder, only used after a drive letter. So it actually shouldn't be allowed, given Ren'Py tries to work with multiple systems. But I get what you're saying; it's definitely too restrictive.
His problem is with update, which means he already have the game correctly installed, thus the path should be correct without colon or something. However, not all programs are designed with all the languages in the path, so although windows itself support it, the program does not.
Since he uses only English, it should probably be fine. Still a word of advice: use English alphabets plus _ ONLY for ALL path and nothing else. Space should also be fine in most cases.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
It's not a prohibited character on other OSes though, and since Renpy is multiplatform it should be able to handle paths that are legal on any system.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
It's not a prohibited character on other OSes though, and since Renpy is multiplatform it should be able to handle paths that are legal on any system.
I believe this is a problem with Python (upon which Ren'Py is based), not Ren'Py itself. I disagree that characters prohibited by one OS should be allowed by Python because those are allowed in another OS. Those are commonly used as path delimiters, and apparently Python can't escape them. (See, for example, .) I suppose it might be possible to do what the answer suggests, but I'm not versed enough in update executables like this to know whether that would be a thing.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I believe this is a problem with Python (upon which Ren'Py is based), not Ren'Py itself. I disagree that characters prohibited by one OS should be allowed by Python because those are allowed in another OS. Those are commonly used as path delimiters, and apparently Python can't escape them. (See, for example, .) I suppose it might be possible to do what the answer suggests, but I'm not versed enough in update executables like this to know whether that would be a thing.
All I can say is that you've grossly misinterpreted that answer.

randomguy6516265165

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 21, 2018
decided to start this game from 0 since I dont remember shit but the MC mentions his sisters and mom? but Im right assuming they won be in the game right? and taking advance of the pink gal just give me more scenes right?

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays, folks! In the spirit of the holidays, v0.6.8 went public a little earlier than usual, and the master post is now updated!

And sorry about being absent from the thread for a while, been meaning to do one of my big reply posts for a while, but a bit swamped with stuff right now.

4.70 star(s) 317 Votes