Hmm...

Oct 26, 2017
If you think that the dev set a rule that lost worlds can't be accessed, the dev already threw that rule aside when he allowed the MC to access his own lost world. But I think that rule was something you implied rather than it being directly stated. Azraesha can't access the lost worlds, the MC seems perfectly able to.
But it took someone from that world to reach it. Before he came along, even people with the same ability had no idea his world existed other than a vague idea that there are worlds no longer within reach. You also have to account for the fact that none of the mages seem to know anything about modern science, and that would be totally out of the question if a futuristic world existed within reach. This game does a pretty good job of staying consistent with the idea that we the player are the futuristic character. The things we do in daily life are seen like a strange magic to the other characters because they've never seen anything like it before.

Also keep in mind the start of the game. Some kind of incident involving a poorly understood energy source tore our character out of our world and caused/awakened archmage level power in him, and is possibly the reason that world can be reached at all in the first place. Even when going back and said to have the power to rival the strongest of mages, our character is limited in where he can appear. It wouldn't be impossible to have a futuristic character, as a similar event could theoretically happen in a world more advanced than our own, but it would have to be a totally different situation and explanation from how the rest of the group were brought in.

Personally, I like how it is going so far. Modern technology is amazing, it just gets taken for granted more often than not, so I really enjoy getting to see the little interactions and exchanges that come from having fantasy characters and magic mixing with a unique magically modern setting without having the fantasy characters originating in the modern setting.

DarkLup

Sep 14, 2018
If you think that the dev set a rule that lost worlds can't be accessed, the dev already threw that rule aside when he allowed the MC to access his own lost world. But I think that rule was something you implied rather than it being directly stated. Azraesha can't access the lost worlds, the MC seems perfectly able to.
Well because he has been to it so he's connected it's like an internet connection .

cattoaster

Aug 6, 2017
Since the R4.16 Update the game seems to be broken for me. I always get exceptions when ending a scene. Even older save games do not help. The folder game/scrips/navigation does not even exist in the downloads. Does anybody has this folder within the game at all?

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/scripts/navigation/navigator_scripts.rpy", line 32, in <module>
  File "game/scripts/navigation/house/ground_floor/gf_hall.rpy", line 60, in execute
  File "game/scripts/navigation/house/ground_floor/gf_hall.rpy", line 60, in execute
  File "game/scripts/navigation/house/ground_floor/gf_hall.rpy", line 94, in execute
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'item_available'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "scripts/navigation/navigator_scripts.rpyc", line 5, in script call
  File "scripts/navigation/navigator_scripts.rpyc", line 11, in script
  File "E:\Rescue\Stick\AHouseInTheRift\renpy\ast.py", line 914, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "E:\Rescue\Stick\AHouseInTheRift\renpy\python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/scripts/navigation/navigator_scripts.rpy", line 32, in <module>
  File "E:\Rescue\Stick\AHouseInTheRift\renpy\ui.py", line 297, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "E:\Rescue\Stick\AHouseInTheRift\renpy\display\core.py", line 2702, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "E:\Rescue\Stick\AHouseInTheRift\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "E:\Rescue\Stick\AHouseInTheRift\renpy\display\core.py", line 541, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback, seen)
  File "E:\Rescue\Stick\AHouseInTheRift\renpy\display\core.py", line 541, in visit_all
  File "E:\Rescue\Stick\AHouseInTheRift\renpy\display\screen.py", line 430, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "E:\Rescue\Stick\AHouseInTheRift\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in <lambda>
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "E:\Rescue\Stick\AHouseInTheRift\renpy\display\screen.py", line 440, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "E:\Rescue\Stick\AHouseInTheRift\renpy\display\screen.py", line 625, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "game/scripts/navigation/house/ground_floor/gf_hall.rpy", line 94, in execute
  File "<screen language>", line 94, in <module>
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'item_available'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
A House in the Rift 0.5.0r1
Sun Jan 17 14:03:56 2021

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
Personally, I like how it is going so far. Modern technology is amazing, it just gets taken for granted more often than not, so I really enjoy getting to see the little interactions and exchanges that come from having fantasy characters and magic mixing with a unique magically modern setting without having the fantasy characters originating in the modern setting.
Yes! So often these days I say some variation of "Isn't that amazing? We're living in the future!" and all I get are unenthused "mmhm..."s, and it feels terrible.

DorcasAurelia

Nov 17, 2018
So, Caitlin had a morning visit after the first dream with Yona, and the background music didn't change until after Caitlin's visit finished. Not too big of a deal, but it wasn't exactly sexy-times music.

Rock H.

Jul 30, 2018
But it took someone from that world to reach it. Before he came along, even people with the same ability had no idea his world existed other than a vague idea that there are worlds no longer within reach. You also have to account for the fact that none of the mages seem to know anything about modern science, and that would be totally out of the question if a futuristic world existed within reach. This game does a pretty good job of staying consistent with the idea that we the player are the futuristic character. The things we do in daily life are seen like a strange magic to the other characters because they've never seen anything like it before.

Also keep in mind the start of the game. Some kind of incident involving a poorly understood energy source tore our character out of our world and caused/awakened archmage level power in him, and is possibly the reason that world can be reached at all in the first place. Even when going back and said to have the power to rival the strongest of mages, our character is limited in where he can appear. It wouldn't be impossible to have a futuristic character, as a similar event could theoretically happen in a world more advanced than our own, but it would have to be a totally different situation and explanation from how the rest of the group were brought in.

I didn't suggest a person from a modern-technology world. I suggested someone from a high-tech world. A world of higher technology than ours, perhaps even a cyborg or other more advanced technology. We have a pirate with a bit of "witch blood". Piracy is not a general fantasy staple. We have a succubus, elf, mageling, orc. The succubus is borderline but these four are pretty common fantasy fodder. If we fill the house with a dwarf and a hobbit, the game is sunk.

randos belgados

Jan 11, 2019
i just found that yona is an orc (another muscle girl). possibility that next is monster girl or slime girl? or even a dwarf?
(gonna skip until update for cait / lyn)

DarkLup

Sep 14, 2018
I didn't suggest a person from a modern-technology world. I suggested someone from a high-tech world. A world of higher technology than ours, perhaps even a cyborg or other more advanced technology. We have a pirate with a bit of "witch blood". Piracy is not a general fantasy staple. We have a succubus, elf, mageling, orc. The succubus is borderline but these four are pretty common fantasy fodder. If we fill the house with a dwarf and a hobbit, the game is sunk.
What do you mean "piracy is not a general fantasy staple" ? Elder Scrolls, D&D and even in LOTR (as far as I can remember I never saw a Kraken outside of fantasy, well maybe in Jules Verne's but it's still very "fantasy" like) plus it was already said (I think) that there's going to be a dwarf. I really think you just don't have the same vision for the lore as the dev mate simple as that .

Sounds like an explanation to fit a conclusion.
Just a tad like what you're doing ain't it ? Just because it was shown that he could reach HIS world you immediatly assume that he can reach all the world, while inside the game, when you travel, Rae always ask to picture a place the MC has already been to, or if he hasn't it means she is guinding him through ether and I very much doubt she has ever gone to a spaceship .

Last edited:

DarkLup

Sep 14, 2018
Actually all this lore talk made me wonder ZanithOne are the girls from the same world ? Aside from Rae who seems to be traveller there is no indication (to my knowledge) indicating either of the cases .

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
Actually all this lore talk made me wonder ZanithOne are the girls from the same world ? Aside from Rae who seems to be traveller there is no indication (to my knowledge) indicating either of the cases .
Unlikely otherwise Rae could have confirmed the date with Naomi and not just Caitlin. Also the etherwalk sequences with Naomi suggest she needs to guide to her world when Rae/Caitlin could if it were the same.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: DarkLup

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020
Unlikely otherwise Rae could have confirmed the date with Naomi and not just Caitlin. Also the etherwalk sequences with Naomi suggest she needs to guide to her world when Rae/Caitlin could if it were the same.
Actually, I believe that Caitlin and Naomi are both from the same world. The University is there while working towards finding Naomi's crew.

:cool: Eric Grey

• Thinking Face
Reactions: DarkLup

Hmm...

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, I believe that Caitlin and Naomi are both from the same world. The University is there while working towards finding Naomi's crew.

:cool: Eric Grey
You know, even though I saw it, it never really occurred to me until you mentioned it. We don't really have any conclusive proof that we have been going to different worlds for any of the girls aside from the succubus, but she came to us by accident. They could have all come from different places in the same world. Makes me wonder what else connects these girls aside from catching each of them when they were about to die. As far as I recall, all of them but the Elf have shown magical potential or heritage, if we include the Orc's connection to spirits.

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
You forget about the magical barrier she had placed on her door when she first arrived. She has the ability to use it she just doesn't show it for whatever reason.
Wouldn't be the first fantasy universe where elves are just inherently magical, so might be the case here.

4.70 star(s) 318 Votes