VN - Ren'Py - Abandoned - A.O.A. Academy [Ch.5 Gold] [TLGGAMES]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Bigeggs

0.1.2 review
    Found this game by pure luck and it's one of the best game I play from this site. I will tell you, the force is strong in this one, it can easily be one of the best in the future.

- great render
    - good music
    - story have potential
  2. 4.00 star(s)

primeumaton

Version: 0.1.2

This is pretty amazing. Really with this high of quality I am expecting it to be several months before it has enough content for me to try again, because I like binging rather than trickling updates.

The only complaint I have at all is the gallery images being "rewards" for choices. Feels punishing for being how you want. Not a big deal though.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Phyrros

Good graphics, and some nice animations to start out. Story could be a little more clear but overall a very good start. Looking forward to the updates. I wish the creator much success in his endeavors.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

TheDwayneTrain

Great start so far. I just played the prologue and not only are the renders amazing, but it builds a rich backdrop with plenty of mystery left to unfold. Looking forward to what this game eventually becomes.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Theapedude

Really strong start so far. Renders are of high quality. The story has a pretty interesting premise and looking forward to seeing how it develops. Writing is good didn't notice any flagrant spelling errors or grammatical mistakes.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Lamphead

I usually never review games on the FIRST release.. but this is so good I'm breaking the rule now.

Look, there are flaws (that could be fixed in future releases). Typos. White balance is off in some scenes, way too bright in some scenes. Phone text system is weird, I generally like in-game phone as a tool for storytelling but not when it's not clean and easy to use. Ditto with the free-roam feature.

What this game HAS done is beautifully introduced a fast expanding universe in a very masterful, easy to read way. This game rides on a beautiful vibe, with the music and beautiful framing of a lot of these shots. Renders are great. There is sentimentality with regards to family, friends to keep you invested. The pacing of the story is consistent, without any wasted material, it introduces the character and personifies them effectively and with heart. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the first part of the game is absolutely CINEMATIC, setting up the rest of the story with emotional stakes and a sense of mystery.

Now obviously this game is very similar to a certain legendary game that everyone knows about, the storyline and imagery should give that away immediately. You are a guy with a dad who loves him and due to circumstances you go to university to get friendly with a harem of long lost friends, mysterious girls, rich girls, etc...a lot of the qualities of this game are familiar to those that have played the other.

BUT don't think for second that this game doesn't stand on its own merits. It's a much more sentimental and dramatic game and does not have mini-games/free roam/stat points as much of a focus..this is all about the dramatic narrative for the most part, you feel like you're in a movie and it's done REALLY WELL. And it looks like it'll have it's own fair share of unique twists. Of course this is release 1 and subject to change but we will see.

I'm not surprised this game has blown up with positive reviews in this short amount of time. It's worth trying, for sure.

Also RIDE OR DIE TEAM SUNG JI. Tell her what the hell is going on the phone! Developer, a polite request to give her a little bit more time in the next chapter! And just my humble opinion: the best Asian render in ANY game, bar none.
  7. 4.00 star(s)

MicolashCage

A very promising start, despite the fact that the premise of this game is nothing that we haven't seen before: after an unfortunate event, a guy from the countryside is "forced" to move into the city to enroll in its university and meets a whole bunch of girls in the process.

It is immediately clear that A.O.A. Academy is heavily inspired by what is arguably the biggest game adopting this particular theme, and personally I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, mainly because while doing so it manages to shine on its own merits.
    I welcome any title that makes a conscious effort to differentiate itself from the plethora of other smut games by trying to have story and character development as its primary focus points. This one does a great job in introducing a cast of potential LIs whose charm goes well beyond the simple beauty of the model presented on screen. Every girl seems to have her own personality, some kind of dramatic backstory, and a various degree of emotional baggage coming with it. Even the MC is uncharacteristically mature and doesn't act like a sex crazed douchebag, which is always an added plus.

The writing so far is solid, I can't say much more than that given the current amount of content [v 0.1.2]. There is one disappointing scene though, the one in the dean's office, where the choices you make don't matter in the slightest. I understand that it's supposed to be a pivotal moment in the story, but I can't condone the way it was handled. I'd much rather have the element of choice stripped away from me if it's going to have no bearing on the end result. This is one of those games where the writing will be the key to its success or its downfall, so I hope the dev will work hard on bringing those characters to life, and at the same time give some proper thought about the importance of immersion and player choice, with all the nuances they entail.

I can't speak for the sound, since usually the first thing I do after booting up a game is maximizing text speed and turning the music/sound/voice sliders all the way down...but from a visual standpoint I think the renders are great, apart from a weird skin texture issue someone before me has already reported on and some mishaps with contrast/brightness in a few scenes. I really, really like the design of the characters and I especially love the minimalistic, unobtrusive UI. Probably my favourite UI in a Ren'Py game, ever.

By and large, this is most definitely a VN worth keeping an eye on. Best of luck to the dev.

Ps: for what it's worth, consider my actual rating to be a 4.5/5.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

altident08

Not a lot of content yet, but what there is, is top tier. The models are great, the renders present them well and the dialogue so far has been very high quality for a game like this. The interface and overall feel of the game are very polished too.

There were a couple of minor issues like missing images, but the developer has created a really solid foundation to build on and I'm interested in what direction they'll take things.
  9. 3.00 star(s)

johnralf

I try this game because the front images is very nice.
    The pros.
    The gameplay is nice, i think the game will develop a nice ranking system, that will give you time to think and try to know the characters, just hope you have the freedom to go to places etc...
    The girls are beautiful, daz style, but they look really good with real proportions, i like it.
    The cons.
    The history is not so great... Lacks a lot of things, i play and i really don´t care for any character.
    The renders are all washed, looks like arch renders, the characters looks good but the render lacks depth, contrast, is a waste of potential in my opinion.
    Another point about the renders, there is a lot of normal maps errors, sometimes i thought the character have burn scars or something.

Overall, i think the game can have a good future.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

Paarl

I tried it without much desire and I have to say that I loved it, I like the modeling of the characters, there are other VNs that look very "plastic", I like it a lot here.
    I think my favorite girl so far is Rebecca.
    Which by the way, I like that you see that every girl has a past, and Valerie you see that she has a dark one.
    In the lewd scenes, even if there are one and a half say, or two, they are very good.
    This VN and another one I'm reading are being my favorites, keep it up
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Wanderer_fr

Wow, just wow.
    What a remarkable staging: the graphics, the presentation, the music, the script...
    Everything fits together perfectly like an episode of a successful TV series.
    Can't wait for the sequel.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

RadioSW

From what it offered so far, it seems really promising. Beautiful renders, fluid narratives and conversations, and intriguing character backgrounds.
    Although there are some aspects which can be improved in the future.
    1. The narratives and conversation can use some polishing.
    2. There are some weird skin texture that bugs me on some of the renders.
  13. 2.00 star(s)

Hirnfiedler

Just started the game for the first time yesterday. My expectations grew and I
    was really motivated, because the graphics and the characters are really well
    done. As well I liked the story..... until I had the meeting with the dean and the
    rich looking guy.
    What is the point of pissing the player off with such a foolish infantile
    reaction of the MC? What am I in this game? Exactly the stupid landfill
    I was accesed to be? Is it because of the school setting? I really can't go on
    with the game, because I would bite my desk every time I'm not even able
    to influence the shit I see coming directly into my face.
    I guess more mature games are out and most of the MCs have lost their
    brain wanking. In German = "strunzdumme Heranwixende".

Too bad, but all the eye candy means nothing if the brain starts puking.
  14. 3.00 star(s)

Zoonma

+game looks great
    +some dialog was great
    +characters design is interesting

---very little tags (very little things of interest on the adult side)

Quality/work is fantastic but there is nothing else to it. story line/setting is typical and has been overdone. Its said if you only do/have a few things then it better be the best out there.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

thjnh1591

Renders are top-notch, everything seems really polish. I don't mind the renders being a little too bright tbh.
    Love the unique characters. However, Ash, Val, and Jen kinda have REALLY similar/same faces but with different hairstyles/makeup as I see it.
    The music is good which a lot of games are lacking rn. The story is interesting so far (not another incest one, living with their mom and sisters LOL). The first release is a little bit short. I don't mind if the dev takes a few months and release a big episode next.
    Looking forward to the update.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

oysterkeeper

There's not much to say that hasn't already been said.

The game has and interesting story, great renders, compelling characters, and a mature yet casual feel? Most characters seem realistically done but not in a way that makes the boring or ordinary. There's a large variation in these love interests and it seems like it will be a real tough game to choose who you want to end up with (or harem if that's the way the game's going).

It's still early in development but everything I have seen suggests a 9/10 or 10/10 experience.

If you're really patient, wait for more content before diving into this one but if you aren't, it's definitely worth playing even this early on. It just will be a painful wait for the next update.

5/5
  17. 5.00 star(s)

Sebah

Review was edited after the scene fix that came with update 0.1.2 and so was the rating

THE GOOD
    - The renders are amazing and so are the girl models.
    - There's a really nice video into that sets the mood up with a very nice song in the background.
    - Over all the game has a high quality feel about it.
    - The whole game has a nice vibe maybe also because of the sound effects and the music that is spot on.
    - You can really feel the emotions in the beginning of the game and the love between the MC and his father and as well as that between the MC and Ashley.
    - The story looks interesting ( even more after the fix).

THE BAD
    -The renders are sometimes a bit to bright but to be honest it was no trouble for me so I will mention it but I wond deduct point for that.

In conclusion renders, sound and music were spot one. The fix has made the game so much better for me. Great start and I can't wait to see more of the story.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

sigalchris

Really good first offering. The girls are all individual and hot. The storyline is intriguing and grabs you from the start. I can't wait to see this develop.

Good:
    Hot girls
    Good writing
    graphics are top notch

Bad:
    Relatively short intro
    If this doesn't have a harem option, it will require playthroughs for each girl. Wish there was an option to name saves.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

omegaX

so far this is amazing, girls are stunning and the story so far is gripping, hit me right in the feels about the dad though. and that was well done as well.

im wondering whats going to happen with the dean in this as she was a looker and obviously wouldnt mind seeing her bent over the deans desk and being dominated lol

will be keeping an eye out for future updates
  20. 5.00 star(s)

Ripson

This game has a lot of potential. A lot stories to be discovered and revealed.
    The UI feels good and something even more interesting is its renders. They are very good and something I haven't seen a lot.
    Few suggestions:
    1. Don't make it, like that game(u know which game I'm taking about, with considering the Easter eggs)
    2. Add a few more UI features (like relationship stats indicator etc)
    3. And a few in game animation and motion video ( if you can)
    Overall, at this stage it's a very good. Just don't loose direction in the story narration (a lot of stories could mess up)