VN Ren'Py Completed A Petal Among Thorns [v6.0.2-RE] [Lockheart]

4.50 star(s) 115 Votes

Spatenklopper

Jun 4, 2021
That's done on purpose because it plays on the taboo of the genre.
Yeah, I get it.

But it's not as if Petal doesn't always address us with dad or daddy (89 times in chapter 3) to play with the genre,
what as a salutation is also perfectly fine.
Thrown in here and there, a phrase it's not even a problem.
But using a (the same) phrase 3 times in one scene is no longer nice to read, at least for me.

In the end, it's a matter of taste, I'm just not used to such texts from this dev.

Myrabelle

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2021
Yeah, I get it.

But it's not as if Petal doesn't always address us with dad or daddy (89 times in chapter 3) to play with the genre,
what as a salutation is also perfectly fine.
Thrown in here and there, a phrase it's not even a problem.
But using a (the same) phrase 3 times in one scene is no longer nice to read, at least for me.

In the end, it's a matter of taste, I'm just not used to such texts from this dev.
Hey Spatenklopper,

We're venturing outside of our traditional writing style to try to find what works for people and what doesn't. While we're extremely proud of Avalon, it didn't meet our expectations in terms of popularity. We want to write something that people want to read. We're trying hard to take into consideration the complaints and criticisms our player base has with A Petal Among Thorns and address them as best we can. If you feel like we've overused certain words or phrases, we're happy to go back through and make alterations if this is a common complaint.

This has been an extremely difficult market to break into. Much more difficult than we ever could have anticipated. We've already had to abandon a game due to severe critical disapproval which is something we were devastated by. It was a hard lesson but a valuable one. With A Petal Among Thorns, we're exploring a more sex-oriented story catering to a male audience. Men tend to prefer youth as younger women often had a better-than-average chance of birthing healthy offspring. It was an evolutionary preference developed through natural selection. Reminding the audience that the girl in the story is young engages heightened arousal. At least, in theory.

We'll make adjustments before we finalize A Petal Among Thorns and we're confident the end result will be great. We have made peace with the fact that we won't, and can't, please everyone though. We hope you continue to enjoy our style of writing even as it does change and grow.

Thank you for your interest. :)

EfontMan

Aug 23, 2021
If you feel like we've overused certain words or phrases, we're happy to go back through and make alterations if this is a common complaint
The first step is to write natural dialogue. Don't have your characters say things that no person would ever actually say in a real conversation.

Reminding the audience that the girl in the story is young engages heightened arousal. At least, in theory.
You're reminding your audience that your character is legal, which seems to be about the only point of it. Typically this type of thing is used in games where the player can customise the character's ages (i.e. loli content). If you want your character to be 18 then that's fine, but there's no need to have the character explicitly scream it out in the middle of sexual situations. Per the above, it's just jarring and weird. The setting and relationship of the characters plainly establishes the age difference. No further comment on it is required, especially not so blatantly by the characters themselves.

Reactions: Spatenklopper

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
Please learn about statistical significance, and sample size and confidence levels. For a population of 350 million, you only need a sample size of about 2400 to gain a confidence level of 95%.
So if you don't know, just don't...
Normally I wouldn't bother, and this will probably get me an off-topic removal, but I'm just bored enough atm.
My apologies to the Dev for the unnecessary comment clutter.

By that "logic"; chocolate milk comes from brown cows (7% of Americans surveyed), the earth is flat (2.5% of the worlds population, compiled from various surveys), the sun orbits the earth (25% of Americans surveyed), and creationism is a fact (40% of Americans surveyed).

Maybe if you don't understand the difference between extrapolating from skewed data, and actual research, then just don't....

LostKing

Jul 20, 2020
Chapter 3 is out? Fantastic. Downloading now! Loved the first two chapters so I can't wait to see how Petal keeps pushing all her Daddy's buttons.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Myrabelle

Nulldev

Nov 28, 2017
Hey Spatenklopper,

We're venturing outside of our traditional writing style to try to find what works for people and what doesn't. While we're extremely proud of Avalon, it didn't meet our expectations in terms of popularity. We want to write something that people want to read. We're trying hard to take into consideration the complaints and criticisms our player base has with A Petal Among Thorns and address them as best we can. If you feel like we've overused certain words or phrases, we're happy to go back through and make alterations if this is a common complaint.

This has been an extremely difficult market to break into. Much more difficult than we ever could have anticipated. We've already had to abandon a game due to severe critical disapproval which is something we were devastated by. It was a hard lesson but a valuable one. With A Petal Among Thorns, we're exploring a more sex-oriented story catering to a male audience. Men tend to prefer youth as younger women often had a better-than-average chance of birthing healthy offspring. It was an evolutionary preference developed through natural selection. Reminding the audience that the girl in the story is young engages heightened arousal. At least, in theory.

We'll make adjustments before we finalize A Petal Among Thorns and we're confident the end result will be great. We have made peace with the fact that we won't, and can't, please everyone though. We hope you continue to enjoy our style of writing even as it does change and grow.

This whole thing sounds like an alien in disguise trying to blend in :D
We see you, Skrulls and despite the success in bookstores, the name Ford Prefect not the best choice :D

• Red Heart

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
Hey Spatenklopper,

I agree with Spatenklopper to a degree. The usage of "daddy" or similar is quite a bit and would help the believability if it were reduced, while still being used at the right time. I've been with one or two women in real life that would scream "daddy" quite a bit during certain...activities. It's definitely not far-fetched. Also, the constant reminders of "your <x>-year-old daughter" could be toned down. I think for most players, once they set that variable in the beginning of the game, they get their kicks off without the constant in-dialogue reminder.

I'm not that bothered by it, but there is some merit to what Spatenklopper is saying.

• Red Heart

ghjghjghj

Dec 10, 2018
I really appreciate having the choices hotkeyed. I've long wished that was a default feature in renpy. I dunno if it's worth pointing out (took me a bit to realize I should try it just in case).

I have to admit though, some of the dialogue - particularly at the end of chapter 1 - seems a bit... clinical/announcer-ish? Might be worth considering adding some flourishes to try to more match the sound of somebody in that position. Break up some sentences, false starts, etc. Otherwise, really enjoying it so far!

Also, did you maybe change some of the dialogue in the phone call home in chapter 2, and get rid of a reference to a "change at home" that then pops up several times afterwards?

Last edited:

Myrabelle

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2021
Also, did you maybe change some of the dialogue in the phone call home in chapter 2, and get rid of a reference to a "change at home" that then pops up several times afterwards?
That little line? Don't worry about that little line. :)

Myrabelle

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2021
I agree with Spatenklopper to a degree. The usage of "daddy" or similar is quite a bit and would help the believability if it were reduced, while still being used at the right time. I've been with one or two women in real life that would scream "daddy" quite a bit during certain...activities. It's definitely not far-fetched. Also, the constant reminders of "your <x>-year-old daughter" could be toned down. I think for most players, once they set that variable in the beginning of the game, they get their kicks off without the constant in-dialogue reminder.

I'm not that bothered by it, but there is some merit to what Spatenklopper is saying.
Okay. We've made the adjustment. Thank you for your help in making A Petal Among Thorns even better! :)

Reactions: GetOutOfMyLab

Loyo

Jan 17, 2020
Yeah meant to point out this, but then forgot about it. The way it is currently worded in the game makes me think this is a typo or something similar.

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
Myrabelle It was mentioned much earlier in this thread that the second and third parts/acts of this trilogy with Petal, Bliss, and Moon, were only tentatively planned.

Has that changed to "definitely will happen"? (I sure hope so, I absolutely love the story so far, lol.)

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017

Okay. We've made the adjustment. Thank you for your help in making A Petal Among Thorns even better! :)
I cannot disagree more!

People who like AGEplay really get off on hearing about the chosen age. (Always legal age of course MODS):devilish:

Maybe only once or twice during an "activity" but hearing Daddy and her age can REALLY, REALLY be what some people like.

And also every time they get lewd, YES!

PEACE

Myrabelle

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2021
I cannot disagree more!

People who like AGEplay really get off on hearing about the chosen age. (Always legal age of course MODS):devilish:

Maybe only once or twice during an "activity" but hearing Daddy and her age can REALLY, REALLY be what some people like.

PEACE
Hey jaw1986baby!

We'll suspend the change for now until we've gathered more data.

Thank you for your input.

• Red Heart
Reactions: jaw1986baby

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
I cannot disagree more!

PEACE
Oh, I'm not saying remove it. I just think it needs to be toned down, otherwise it seems forced and loses its meaning. Or perhaps just changed to sound more natural.

4.50 star(s) 115 Votes