Unreal Engine Abandoned A Tale Your Tale [v0.2.2] [J&E Productions]

2.70 star(s) 3 Votes

Skinner

Jul 6, 2017
Is this a 3D Game (real-time rendering) or 3DCG? The screenshots make me think it's 3DCG.

After writing that, I downloaded it and... this is weird. Imagine a RenPy game where you can move the camera around the scene and see everything at various angles. That's what you have here. The camera is not attached in any way to the MC other than being centered on the MC when the scene is rendered. Absolutely nothing moves, except the trees being blown around winds outside. The movement from one pose to another by the NPCs is exactly the same as what you get in RenPy VNs - snap from one to another. Also just like 2DCG/3DCG VNs, the scene doesn't change just because you clicked the mouse - the NPCs will sit in that pose, not even moving their chests indicating breathing.. until they're snapped into the next pose. The trees are more alive than any of the humanoids you're interacting with. It doesn't feel like a 3d game at all. It almost feels as if using the definition of "3D Game" used here, you could call any game with a parallax a "3d game" -- congrats RPGMaker games, you're now "3d Games" ! RPGmaker games are also -technically- rendering the assets with every frame also.

In my opinion, this cheapens the idea of 3D Games. Yes, it is -technically- rendering assets with every frame... but without movement of some kind, what's the point other than to waste CPU/GPU cycles? Feels like using a sword when a scalpel is what is required. There is literally nothing special about this that I have seen which couldn't be done in something far less resource intensive and have the same feel - specifically, RenPy. At the very least, this game requires a VN tag.

Further, the extreme delay launching the game worries me. To be clear before I state this, I am NOT accusing the author of this game of anything. However, if I wanted to include something like a miner in a way that would go unsuspected, I'd put it in a closed-source 3d rendered game where high CPU and/or GPU usage would not be seen as abnormal. Again, I'm not accusing the author of that. I have no evidence of that... but the extremely long black screen at the start was long enough for me to to go "wtf is it doing?" - and others have mentioned that long black screen in these comments as well.

-----

I wrote the above last night, and after being away for a while I wanted to amend my statement. The game is probably fine; I didn't get far enough into it to be able to tell. The specific issue I had, which frustrates me often on this website, is that the tag does not match the content. If you're searching for a "3D Game", you're not likely interested in a glorified VN that would be far better (resource wise) in another engine.. but that's essentially what you have here. Further, not everyone can afford to sit around and download a 5GB game just to find out that what was declared .. isn't exactly what you're getting. This issue is not specific to this game, and I don't mean to disparage this game's design as, again, I did not play enough of it to get a good feel for the game itself. What I did see seemed fine, if I were interested in a VN. I'd say outlining the text area to better clue the user in as to where to click to advance the text would be a nice idea (if there was such a thing already, I couldn't see it). The black screen issue at the start should be a top priority to fix - put a loading screen or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: bufameti

bufameti

May 12, 2018
Is this a 3D Game (real-time rendering) or 3DCG? The screenshots make me think it's 3DCG.

After writing that, I downloaded it and... this is weird. Imagine a RenPy game where you can move the camera around the scene and see everything at various angles. That's what you have here. The camera is not attached in any way to the MC other than being centered on the MC when the scene is rendered. Absolutely nothing moves, except the trees being blown around winds outside. The movement from one pose to another by the NPCs is exactly the same as what you get in RenPy VNs - snap from one to another. Also just like 2DCG/3DCG VNs, the scene doesn't change just because you clicked the mouse - the NPCs will sit in that pose, not even moving their chests indicating breathing.. until they're snapped into the next pose. The trees are more alive than any of the humanoids you're interacting with. It doesn't feel like a 3d game at all. It almost feels as if using the definition of "3D Game" used here, you could call any game with a parallax a "3d game" -- congrats RPGMaker games, you're now "3d Games" ! RPGmaker games are also -technically- rendering the assets with every frame also.

In my opinion, this cheapens the idea of 3D Games. Yes, it is -technically- rendering assets with every frame... but without movement of some kind, what's the point other than to waste CPU/GPU cycles? Feels like using a sword when a scalpel is what is required. There is literally nothing special about this that I have seen which couldn't be done in something far less resource intensive and have the same feel - specifically, RenPy. At the very least, this game requires a VN tag.

Further, the extreme delay launching the game worries me. To be clear before I state this, I am NOT accusing the author of this game of anything. However, if I wanted to include something like a miner in a way that would go unsuspected, I'd put it in a closed-source 3d rendered game where high CPU and/or GPU usage would not be seen as abnormal. Again, I'm not accusing the author of that. I have no evidence of that... but the extremely long black screen at the start was long enough for me to to go "wtf is it doing?" - and others have mentioned that long black screen in these comments as well.

-----

I wrote the above last night, and after being away for a while I wanted to amend my statement. The game is probably fine; I didn't get far enough into it to be able to tell. The specific issue I had, which frustrates me often on this website, is that the tag does not match the content. If you're searching for a "3D Game", you're not likely interested in a glorified VN that would be far better (resource wise) in another engine.. but that's essentially what you have here. Further, not everyone can afford to sit around and download a 5GB game just to find out that what was declared .. isn't exactly what you're getting. This issue is not specific to this game, and I don't mean to disparage this game's design as, again, I did not play enough of it to get a good feel for the game itself. What I did see seemed fine, if I were interested in a VN. I'd say outlining the text area to better clue the user in as to where to click to advance the text would be a nice idea (if there was such a thing already, I couldn't see it). The black screen issue at the start should be a top priority to fix - put a loading screen or something.
To start let me tell you that I already fixed problems like size and loading time at the beginning of the game.

I fully understand what you say about animations, I don't know if you ever played "last hope" (If you haven't, I recommend it) I want to do something very similar when it comes to animations and the AI of the NPCs, for the next update I will not add more characters or places (it would not make sense), but I'm focusing on adding more animations and make transitions from one scene to another smoother.

I'm taking into account all the suggestions, I'm trying to improve a lot of things for the next update, as I said in a comment, I have about 400 animations planned that involve all the NPCs.

Reactions: ThatCrew

ThatCrew

Apr 20, 2020
Hi Bufameti !
I don't know your work speed but when do you expect to release the next version ?
I am not pressing or whatever, I am just asking :)

bufameti

May 12, 2018
Hi everyone!
I just want to tell you that I have already created the discord server, and regarding to the game, I was delayed a bit due to problems in my workplace (developing new projects), I have not been able to dedicate as much time as I would like to, but from the weekend I will have more time to work on the new update.

Game progress:
  • Animations: 75%
  • Code: 65%
  • Dialogues: 65%
  • Events: 70%
  • Now you can skip the dialogues by pressing the space bar.
  • Some scenes will have transitions between animations (not all).

HighresScreenshot00000.png HighresScreenshot00003.png News 0.02 - 1.jpg News 0.02 - 3.jpg News 0.02 - 4.jpg

• Love

ThatCrew

Apr 20, 2020
Hi everyone!
I just want to tell you that I have already created the discord server, and regarding to the game, I was delayed a bit due to problems in my workplace (developing new projects), I have not been able to dedicate as much time as I would like to, but from the weekend I will have more time to work on the new update.

Game progress:
  • Animations: 75%
  • Code: 65%
  • Dialogues: 65%
  • Events: 70%
  • Now you can skip the dialogues by pressing the space bar.
  • Some scenes will have transitions between animations (not all).

View attachment 1142920 View attachment 1142921 View attachment 1142922 View attachment 1142923 View attachment 1142924
Thx for the previews, it looks great, I can't wait to play it !
Btw I played last hope to wait your update and I prefer your characters, they look more realistic.

bufameti

May 12, 2018
Thx for the previews, it looks great, I can't wait to play it !
Btw I played last hope to wait your update and I prefer your characters, they look more realistic.
Hi bro.
I am working hard to improve the quality and content of the game, the gameplay has not changed, but I have improved several things that I hope are to enjoy the game.

P.S. I really like Last Hope, in that game I was inspired to create my own :LOL:.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Bamboosword

Bamboosword

Jan 2, 2020
Hi bro.
I am working hard to improve the quality and content of the game, the gameplay has not changed, but I have improved several things that I hope are to enjoy the game.

P.S. I really like Last Hope, in that game I was inspired to create my own :LOL:.
Damn man, if last hope was your inspiration, that means this game is gonna be all that I need.. Now you are making me impatient :D

bufameti

May 12, 2018
Damn man, if last hope was your inspiration, that means this game is gonna be all that I need.. Now you are making me impatient :D
hahaha.

I hope to have the game ready as soon as possible, this week I advance a lot, due to the delay I will include a couple more scenes.

ThatCrew

Apr 20, 2020
Hi bro.

Yes Last Hope is good. But for the moment their animations are rigid (like robots), sounds and moaning are not varied and they could let us more freedom like the animation speed, more poses choices ... I guess it will come with time.
Your game should be nice to play if you are inspired by Last Hope. I am excited to play the next version !

VenRenotos

Dec 26, 2018
There are too many bugs(it doesn't always start from the first time and from 2), I couldn't pass the first day, at night the NPCs talked to me on the street. The interface is unclear. However, I liked the large range of settings. Disabling shadows makes it possible to run the game even on very old hardware (which is now relevant). I would put 1 out of 5.

"Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x364f0000

0x00007ff72a16c7b7 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72a17fb51 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72a1ed79f ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72a1849be ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72912b8bf ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72913a263 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72912cded ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72913a66c ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff729139a7d ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff7291224c5 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72926b1be ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72926ae81 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff729270b1c ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff729274c78 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff7292744b4 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff729ec9ce8 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff728d55c0e ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff728d5c088 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff728d5c1ba ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff728d648e7 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72a991c66 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffbd0cc7034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffbd1f22651 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []"

bufameti

May 12, 2018
Hi!
About the progress of the new update:
  • Animations: 90%
  • Code: 85%
  • Dialogues: 85%
  • Events: 90%
I don't want to put a date, but I'm working hard to get the next version ready as soon as possible.

HighresScreenshot00003.png HighresScreenshot00002.png

bufameti

May 12, 2018
There are too many bugs(it doesn't always start from the first time and from 2), I couldn't pass the first day, at night the NPCs talked to me on the street. The interface is unclear. However, I liked the large range of settings. Disabling shadows makes it possible to run the game even on very old hardware (which is now relevant). I would put 1 out of 5.

"Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x364f0000

0x00007ff72a16c7b7 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72a17fb51 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72a1ed79f ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72a1849be ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72912b8bf ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72913a263 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72912cded ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72913a66c ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff729139a7d ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff7291224c5 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72926b1be ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72926ae81 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff729270b1c ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff729274c78 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff7292744b4 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff729ec9ce8 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff728d55c0e ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff728d5c088 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff728d5c1ba ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff728d648e7 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff72a991c66 ATYT-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffbd0cc7034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffbd1f22651 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []"
I have already corrected those bugs, and I added several of the suggestions in this thread regarding the current version, I also corrected problems with textures and loading time.

I'm sorry you had so many problems with the current version.

VenRenotos

Dec 26, 2018
I have already corrected those bugs, and I added several of the suggestions in this thread regarding the current version, I also corrected problems with textures and loading time.

I'm sorry you had so many problems with the current version.
I am an insecure user on the forums. And it will be difficult for me to find your patch in the branch. I decided to look at the first page(maybe you can pin the message here), but I didn't find anything, I decided to go to the disk, and there it's even worse :D
There are commissions on Patreon and they often like to motivate you to subscribe, so I didn't even go there.

So I'm waiting for the update in the main download tab. I also want to say that when I played, I can't interact with the characters in any way(the problem is that I don't know this is a bug or a feature :D), only the doors(and then I thought it was just textures...). But definitely, without the Russian language (I think this applies to any other language) I will skip the main text for the most part, and usually in games I rely on the mechanics of tasks. For example, I easily navigated the game without dialogues in: My Lust Wish/Under the Witch(both of these games are on this forum). I also skipped the level of relations with the characters(then 1 then 15(although as you understand, I can not go beyond the first day)). But I really liked the optimization, on my old 5670 I play 1080 on the minimum except slglazhivaniye (it is better to add a separate button for the type of smoothing, because as I understood at very high, a different type of smoothing is used than at medium or low presets (this is expressed in the "residual shadow" after the head when moving), pre-max textures and medium post-processing.

Simply put, not everything in this game is intuitively done.

PS: just for the future, I want to say that the doors need to be placed so that they go out. This is a game, but it really hits the atmosphere, because in real life it doesn't work that way. In life, there is an evacuation plan)))) And in the memory where I was, 2 floors, they are too empty. I wasn't a cool dude, but I think it's too wasteful.

zerkftw

May 27, 2018
I am an insecure user on the forums. And it will be difficult for me to find your patch in the branch. I decided to look at the first page(maybe you can pin the message here), but I didn't find anything, I decided to go to the disk, and there it's even worse :D
There are commissions on Patreon and they often like to motivate you to subscribe, so I didn't even go there.

So I'm waiting for the update in the main download tab. I also want to say that when I played, I can't interact with the characters in any way(the problem is that I don't know this is a bug or a feature :D), only the doors(and then I thought it was just textures...). But definitely, without the Russian language (I think this applies to any other language) I will skip the main text for the most part, and usually in games I rely on the mechanics of tasks. For example, I easily navigated the game without dialogues in: My Lust Wish/Under the Witch(both of these games are on this forum). I also skipped the level of relations with the characters(then 1 then 15(although as you understand, I can not go beyond the first day)). But I really liked the optimization, on my old 5670 I play 1080 on the minimum except slglazhivaniye (it is better to add a separate button for the type of smoothing, because as I understood at very high, a different type of smoothing is used than at medium or low presets (this is expressed in the "residual shadow" after the head when moving), pre-max textures and medium post-processing.

PS: just for the future, I want to say that the doors need to be placed so that they go out. This is a game, but it really hits the atmosphere, because in real life it doesn't work that way. In life, there is an evacuation plan)))) And in the memory where I was, 2 floors, they are too empty. I wasn't a cool dude, but I think it's too wasteful.

From what Bufameti has said most of the issues have already been addressed in the TBA version of the game, as the version of the game thats currently out is a "Demo" of whats to come there not much content and its basically just a introduction to the game

i posted the discord in the message above mine if any downloads are out that will be 1 of the first places to get notified of the update!

bufameti

May 12, 2018

I'm going to go step by step.
  • The doors was the first thing I corrected, and yes, I didn't like it either, but I didn't know how to do it any other way, but that will no longer be a problem.
  • With the interaction of the characters, you can not always interact with them, because there is not much content in this version, but that will no longer be the case for the new update.
  • I will put an in game walkthrough.
  • I don't want to make a game where you have to spend two hours to unlock a scene, I don't like that, there are going to be certain tasks, but they won't be a big deal to bore you.
  • I am going to add certain objects in the houses to make them look better.
  • And as zerkftw told you, we could say that it is still a "demo" but it is the game base, that's why I have been slow to update, I want to polish certain things well before posting the new version.
  • the discord link is already updated.

ThatCrew

Apr 20, 2020
I'm going to go step by step.
  • The doors was the first thing I corrected, and yes, I didn't like it either, but I didn't know how to do it any other way, but that will no longer be a problem.
  • With the interaction of the characters, you can not always interact with them, because there is not much content in this version, but that will no longer be the case for the new update.
  • I will put an in game walkthrough.
  • I don't want to make a game where you have to spend two hours to unlock a scene, I don't like that, there are going to be certain tasks, but they won't be a big deal to bore you.
  • I am going to add certain objects in the houses to make them look better.
  • And as zerkftw told you, we could say that it is still a "demo" but it is the game base, that's why I have been slow to update, I want to polish certain things well before posting the new version.
  • the discord link is already updated.
Hey hey ! Any news or estimation of release date ?
I wish the best for your game.

bufameti

May 12, 2018
Hey hey ! Any news or estimation of release date ?
I wish the best for your game.
hey bro!

This week I was able to advance a lot, I am seeing how I develop the in game walktrough, I could not give you a date, the time I dedicate to the game depends on my workplace, in certain weeks there is more work than in others.

zerkftw apart from being my friend is the admin of discord, and about a month ago I told him that by the beginning of this month I was going to have the new update ready, that's why I don't want to keep giving dates hahahaha

Thanks for your good wishes bro!

Depp

Aug 21, 2017
hey bro!

This week I was able to advance a lot, I am seeing how I develop the in game walktrough, I could not give you a date, the time I dedicate to the game depends on my workplace, in certain weeks there is more work than in others.

zerkftw apart from being my friend is the admin of discord, and about a month ago I told him that by the beginning of this month I was going to have the new update ready, that's why I don't want to keep giving dates hahahaha

Thanks for your good wishes bro!
hey man, don't sweat it. looking forward to another last hope-esque game, gonna wait until this first update drops before I give this a go though, since I'm sure I'll be hooked and just get impatient lol.

Don't overwork yourself!

bufameti

May 12, 2018
hey man, don't sweat it. looking forward to another last hope-esque game, gonna wait until this first update drops before I give this a go though, since I'm sure I'll be hooked and just get impatient lol.

Don't overwork yourself!
That is why I have not updated the game, I know that the first version was not as good as I thought, it does not have much content and it is 6.2 GB but I reduced its size by 60%, but this version I can assure you that it has many scenes, I want to make sure of the quality and quantity of content, there will be several scenes to get you hooked on the game hahaha.

Thanks bro!

2.70 star(s) 3 Votes