CursedFlame91

Slightly Helpful Asshat
Donor
Jul 7, 2018
sonofa.... I think GeeSeki booby trapped the game code. I dunno what version this started in but if you enable the dev console it seems it causes duplicates of some scenes to come into scope... preventing the game from loading. Sneaky mofo.
Are you sure?
I've been tinkering with the game for a while now and never have encountered that.
Either that or I don't understand what you mean and the problem was indeed there and I just brushed it off... Its a possibillity.

Venipa

Nov 2, 2019
slitherhence
create a py file under game and insert these in:

Python:
init 1701 python in _console:
    config.console = True
    config.developer = False
the issue is if you set developer to True it will spit out every warning/error

Last edited:
Reactions: slitherhence

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
slitherhence
create a py file under game and insert these in:

Python:
init 1701 python in _console:
    config.console = True
    config.developer = False
the issue is if you set developer to True it will spit out every warning/error
&re: CursedFlame91

Yeah, I tinkered about till i realized that the developer flag was the issue. Works fine with it set false. I use a modified unren.bat with sets those both true (and also sets `persistent._console_short = False`). I just manually removed the `config.developer = True` setting.

That said (and I'm no renpy expert but...) from past experience I got the impression that if there are two scenes with the same name listed anywhere in the game's rpy files then the game will not load... developer mode or no. I've run into this a few times because my SOP for updating games is to simply unzip the new version on top of the old (yeah, yeah... i know) and every now and then a developer changes the file names which results in the same scene with the same name existing in two files... which renpy promptly loses it's shit over. My thought process was that he maybe hid dummy scenes with names of scenes found elsewhere behind a check for `config.console == True`. It'd be a rather effective scheme to stop console use because the average user would be helpless to overcome it and even someone with a modicum of skill like myself doesn't want to dig through a dozen-dozen rpy files looking for booby trapped dummy scenes with each release.

But the more I think about it that sounds like a lot of effort for no gain. Save editors still allow the same essential functionality albeit with a few more steps involved. Unless he also encrypted the saves (which he hasn't) which could then be defeated by extracting the encryption key from the game files (same way I lookup the cheat code with each new version).

Anyway. Yeah, thanks for the reply. :)

CursedFlame91

Slightly Helpful Asshat
Donor
Jul 7, 2018
&re: CursedFlame91

Yeah, I tinkered about till i realized that the developer flag was the issue. Works fine with it set false. I use a modified unren.bat with sets those both true (and also sets `persistent._console_short = False`). I just manually removed the `config.developer = True` setting.

That said (and I'm no renpy expert but...) from past experience I got the impression that if there are two scenes with the same name listed anywhere in the game's rpy files then the game will not load... developer mode or no. I've run into this a few times because my SOP for updating games is to simply unzip the new version on top of the old (yeah, yeah... i know) and every now and then a developer changes the file names which results in the same scene with the same name existing in two files... which renpy promptly loses it's shit over. My thought process was that he maybe hid dummy scenes with names of scenes found elsewhere behind a check for `config.console == True`. It'd be a rather effective scheme to stop console use because the average user would be helpless to overcome it and even someone with a modicum of skill like myself doesn't want to dig through a dozen-dozen rpy files looking for booby trapped dummy scenes with each release.

But the more I think about it that sounds like a lot of effort for no gain. Save editors still allow the same essential functionality albeit with a few more steps involved. Unless he also encrypted the saves (which he hasn't) which could then be defeated by extracting the encryption key from the game files (same way I lookup the cheat code with each new version).

Anyway. Yeah, thanks for the reply. :)
That was quite a bit of a ramble there pal. Not judging you, i sometimes do the same.

But yes, the problem seems to be that your method of just dumping the new content over the old one has made some mistakes here.

Mainly because of the way files are organized in this project.
Basically every scene and it's scripts are organized in a series of folders, for example a scene in the school university's bathroom at night would be in
school>bathroom>night>story>{namespecifiedforthatscene}

So if the dev decided to, idk, move a scene from one folder to another while keeping the same names... And you dumping new files over old ones... Yeah.

I agree about blocking cheats, specially on a game made with an engine as open as Ren'Py.
But I assume it could be because sometimes folks edit stuff willy nilly and end up messing something up, then that's another bug report that wouldn't have happened if people didn't touch stuff they're not supposed to, that's why some devs add cheats.

What I find more stupid is making cheats exclusive for a patreon tier. Like... It's not like someone can just decompile the game and see the script for themselves.

Venipa

Nov 2, 2019
That was quite a bit of a ramble there pal. Not judging you, i sometimes do the same.

But yes, the problem seems to be that your method of just dumping the new content over the old one has made some mistakes here.

Mainly because of the way files are organized in this project.
Basically every scene and it's scripts are organized in a series of folders, for example a scene in the school university's bathroom at night would be in
school>bathroom>night>story>{namespecifiedforthatscene}

So if the dev decided to, idk, move a scene from one folder to another while keeping the same names... And you dumping new files over old ones... Yeah.

I agree about blocking cheats, specially on a game made with an engine as open as Ren'Py.
But I assume it could be because sometimes folks edit stuff willy nilly and end up messing something up, then that's another bug report that wouldn't have happened if people didn't touch stuff they're not supposed to, that's why some devs add cheats.

What I find more stupid is making cheats exclusive for a patreon tier. Like... It's not like someone can just decompile the game and see the script for themselves.
tbh i only inject py code if rollback is disabled.

Reactions: persoman

Chill-E

May 7, 2018
May I just say, I HATE how the game is trying to change the High School into a University. Everything about this game says High School from the building to the students to the staff and the gym. Even though some (not all) dialogue has been change to University, like "Effie is just trying to get into a good collage" . It still sounds to me like the university lines are the error and not the missed high school ones. I for one do not think it should be changed to University instead of high school. It works in this story and everyone is still over 18. Just my opinion.

Since when did a University have detention?

Last edited:

CursedFlame91

Slightly Helpful Asshat
Donor
Jul 7, 2018
May I just say, I HATE how the game is trying to change the High School into a University. Everything about this game says High School from the building to the students to the staff and the gym. Even though some (not all) dialogue has been change to University, like "Effie is just trying to get into a good collage" . It still sounds to me like the university lines are the error and not the missed high school ones. I for one do not think it should be changed to University instead of high school. It works in this story and everyone is still over 18. Just my opinion.

Since when did a University have detention?
Of course it doesn't make sense and it feels like a cheap cop-out.
It's the same thing as the "Landlady" shit.

Just another cop-out to fit with the platform (these guys trying to get their game on steam).

White195

Dec 18, 2017
Each and every sexual cutscene loops forever for me, breaking the game completely.
I may have modified the stats values and money but it shouldnt break the game like this?

Chill-E

May 7, 2018
I am not going to put this into a review, because I don't want to sound vindictive. I am just disappointed.
I am not a patreon or supporter of this game so I do not have a vote, or say in the content. However as a player and fan of this game, I DO have an opinion.
I started playing this game a while back and I loved the story, loved the characters, and liked the simple art. But the story and the direction has changed and I am loosing interest in it.
I do not understand why a dev would start a game and get people interested and supporting it then change the story half way through just to resell the game to other players. I would think changing things like "high school, to university" in the middle will only frustrated older players and confuse new players. I am just venting, because I am someone who really liked this game and had high hopes for it, just to be disappointed again.

RoughlySpecific

May 27, 2020
Steam is known to ban games featuring a school context and sexual themes as part of their plans against so-called child-exploitation. The switch from school to university was done with ungraceful bluntness, but the reason to do so is sound, in my opinion.

I’m just waiting for the option to turn it back or a restoration patch. From a different developer I’d expect either to be delivered quickly, but with Geeseki I’d not be surprised if it only happens when fans do it themselves.

CursedFlame91

Slightly Helpful Asshat
Donor
Jul 7, 2018
Steam is known to ban games featuring a school context and sexual themes as part of their plans against so-called child-exploitation. The switch from school to university was done with ungraceful bluntness, but the reason to do so is sound, in my opinion.

I’m just waiting for the option to turn it back or a restoration patch. From a different developer I’d expect either to be delivered quickly, but with Geeseki I’d not be surprised if it only happens when fans do it themselves.
I doubt it being possible, or worth any user's time patching it.
I have a habit of checking the changes in the code and this time, every instance of "school" was changed into "university" and some other similar terms, also any dialogue where they mention a character's age was either skipped or modified.

It's not like what they did for the incest content, in which there's a flag with a name like "wincest enabled" or something, and when that flag it's off the game uses the selected role (landlady, friend, rival, etc.) but when it's on, the lines are slightly different but make more sense considering the proper roles (mother and sister).

So basically someone would have to edit the scripts and undo the changes.
I personally wouldn't waste my time on this. I only care if there's some game breaking bug that they haven't bothered to fix yet.
Although the more that I think about it... It wouldn't really be that difficult if you still have the old scripts... Le hmmm.

WOMANpukumaru

Apr 28, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Yes, I know it's possible to be completely harsh and see her as evil, which is why I was pleasantly surprised to see compassion and understanding.

I see signs of low self esteem, like putting up with abuse, and extreme empty nest syndrome. What was "insufficient"? The scene triggers if you don't go home for any reason, like if you work late.

What she did was not "the worst" kind of manipulation and abuse, considering that's her husband and she was being subjected to much worse kinds of abuse, and where did you get that she likes being abused? the crying and the anger and the shame? jesus christ why would you say that? Yes it was toxic, but the entire situation is toxic

oh look, someone who didn't read the posts i made earlier. the part about the 'good dad' coming back isn't a part of her story! that may never happen if you don't do the sister's story not to mention, good dad might come back BEFORE that part of the mom's story. the good dad coming back is COMPLETELY unrelated.

i say the rest of HER story where she apologizes, relies on you completely and basically replaces her husband with you,m makes up for maybe a few minutes of her being a bitch near the beginning of her route, when you weren't even in a relationship yet, and then regretting it immediately.

Look i'm not saying anyone has to agree with me, I understand why people are mad but like, some people are completely distorting the story.

Reactions: Oghmios1337

WOMANpukumaru

Apr 28, 2018
something to acknowledge that I haven't seen anyone but me even point out, which makes me think that no one else saw this?

Ya know after she finishes yelling at you, goes back and is basically being brutally raped while crying? if you have enough strength you can barge in there, kick his ass, and take her away she immediately apologizes and regrets it, she gives you a bj that same night says that you ARE a real man and from then on, she basically ignores the dad and is completely yours.

Like it's one scene, that happens at the beginning of the story and she immediately regrets it and nothing like that happens again. it doesn't seem like that factors into anyone's assessment at all.

xeivous

Mar 16, 2018
So anyone else notice a bug with the mom and sister routes once your dad leaves and also when the sis wants to go to the nightclub? Cus I can't progress past either.

edit: or it just decides to trigger because reasons. Weeird.

Last edited:
3.10 star(s) 82 Votes