Fan Art A Wife And Mother Fan Art

4.60 star(s) 11 Votes

Remigio

May 5, 2018
They FINALLY have video cards available in my city to buy (I wanted to support local business) and so I picked up an RTX 3060 12G. What a difference. That Sophia + Alien render I did took around 5-7 mins to render on my 1050TI 4G. I rendered the same scene in 1 min today, with my web browser open and running (couldn't do that before, had to shut down the browser to conserve VRAM).

I loaded up the following Subway scene, with my browser open and without reducing geometry (hiding objects) and without reducing the texture size and this rendered to my normal 200 iteration denoised scene in about 1 min. MUCH faster, but also, with normal textures, the quality is already increased due to the fact I don't have to reduce them anymore.

I'm quite pleased.

View attachment 1873483
It would be great if you could progress in history with a hot event ...

Reactions: Night Hacker

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Good on you for getting a new card, two things you will likely notice. Most of your normal renders will be very fast, and second you will experiment with more lighting / characters / convergence / higher resolution. That is exactly what I did when I went from two GTX 1080Ti's (SLI) to a single RTX 3090. Plus there is ray tracing added on top of that.

BTW, I am still waiting on Old Dog to do what he promised, maybe I need WhiteWolf619 to nag him mercilessly. Or maybe now with your new card you can do the comparison of multiple Sophia's to show the differences.
Yeah, I've been doing a lot of test renders to check the speed difference under a variety of conditions. I've done that since 3D accelerated cards first came out and still have some of the test results from back then, heheh.

With the old video card I needed to shut down my web browser and anything else that used video RAM. I needed to hie as much geometry as possible and I needed to half the texture sizes in order to be able to render a scene, using denoising, in 5 - 10 mins. NOW, I am able to render the full scene, with other programs running without doing as much (or any) reduction and do it faster. I keep running tests to see the differences though as I always have with these sorts of things. I like to know my limits.

Below are two renders... first, a render for a visual novel I did on my old card, much of the original items from the room removed, the textures all reduced to half size and even body parts hidden (parts of the arms and legs that aren't in view have been hidden in the scene)... this took me 5-7 mins to render with denoising...

motel_office enters-old.jpg

This next image is the same scene, except I went over everything and restored the original higher resolution textures, I restored all hidden geometry and items from the room and then rendered it and it only took around 2 mins...

motel_office enters.jpg

I came to a horrifying conclusion... I'll probably end up redoing ALL scenes from my visual novel I already done. LOL... ah well... it won't take as long and will look much better.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
It would be great if you could progress in history with a hot event ...
I may do that now. Before this scene REALLY lagged my system down and rendering three characters in it on top of the complex subway geometry would have been a difficult task (though I had some ideas on how to do it). Now it should be much simpler.... it's still a laggy scene though. Not sure what the heck is in this subway scene. I may examine the geometry and hide a few parts of it anyhow.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
This is why these threads are just so pathetic these days with comments from those who think they know it all and have no idea what's really going on, no idea what work has been done, no idea why they bother even turning up here. Art is Art and open to interpretation, it has been assumed here there is an age thing going on, but there are three key letters in assume... A... S... S :sneaky: Hint... wait for the follow up hence I clearly put TBC on there and you can then see what is going on. This thread is for Artists not for Trolls to pass comment and make fun so try adding your own art rather than being a typical snark here.
When I was in the military we had a saying... "Never assume, it makes an ASS out of U and ME" ;)

Anyhow, there's 25 people who liked your render, one who was critical. Don't take it too personally. He could have been offering his own opinion on how you could improve your work. I welcome such opinions and I like to improve, so I would just take it like that and don't stress about 1 person's opinion when so many liked what you did. You'll never get 100% of the people to like what you do. Most of us are amateurs in here who will make crap once in a while... it's par for the course. Just have fun doing it.

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Yeah, I've been doing a lot of test renders to check the speed difference under a variety of conditions. I've done that since 3D accelerated cards first came out and still have some of the test results from back then, heheh.

With the old video card I needed to shut down my web browser and anything else that used video RAM. I needed to hie as much geometry as possible and I needed to half the texture sizes in order to be able to render a scene, using denoising, in 5 - 10 mins. NOW, I am able to render the full scene, with other programs running without doing as much (or any) reduction and do it faster. I keep running tests to see the differences though as I always have with these sorts of things. I like to know my limits.

Below are two renders... first, a render for a visual novel I did on my old card, much of the original items from the room removed, the textures all reduced to half size and even body parts hidden (parts of the arms and legs that aren't in view have been hidden in the scene)... this took me 5-7 mins to render with denoising...

View attachment 1874611

This next image is the same scene, except I went over everything and restored the original higher resolution textures, I restored all hidden geometry and items from the room and then rendered it and it only took around 2 mins...

View attachment 1874615

I came to a horrifying conclusion... I'll probably end up redoing ALL scenes from my visual novel I already done. LOL... ah well... it won't take as long and will look much better.
As you were in the military, you might find this amusing, 'your new 3070 is a FORCE MULTIPLIER!!!!!!!!'

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
When I first got my 3070 ti(I upgraded up from a 1070)I tested out the mew card and was amazed by the quiality/speed so much so that I had the same thought that Night Hacker had and I wanted to redo my past renders

Last edited:

BigIrishLug

Common Craic Producer
Donor
Aug 17, 2017
When I was in the military we had a saying... "Never assume, it makes an ASS out of U and ME" ;)

Anyhow, there's 25 people who liked your render, one who was critical. Don't take it too personally. He could have been offering his own opinion on how you could improve your work. I welcome such opinions and I like to improve, so I would just take it like that and don't stress about 1 person's opinion when so many liked what you did. You'll never get 100% of the people to like what you do. Most of us are amateurs in here who will make crap once in a while... it's par for the course. Just have fun doing it.
What Night Hacker said, focus on the positive. Constructive criticism, I accept readily, to help improve myself. Everything and anything that makes you better person in your craft and your life, gobble it up with enthusiasm. Anything that doesn't, just pass and move onto better. Cheers for the work, and soldier on.

Jack Adams

Mar 1, 2019
What Night Hacker said, focus on the positive. Constructive criticism, I accept readily, to help improve myself. Everything and anything that makes you better person in your craft and your life, gobble it up with enthusiasm. Anything that doesn't, just pass and move onto better. Cheers for the work, and soldier on.
I am also in full agreement with the commentary of Night Hacker and BigIrishLug. People all give likes and share their opinions for the art they experience based on tastes, personal history and what they expect to see at the moment. From what I see your post was well received. I consider a compliment of over 20 likes for a post a very good day. It is about as honest an appraisal as the venue allows, and I am happy that we have the feedback loop we enjoy here (in spite of the occasional irrational comment).
Keep offering your honest product given for others to enjoy, and in so doing enjoy it yourself.
Sincerely, Jack.

GodfatherII

Oct 27, 2018
They FINALLY have video cards available in my city to buy (I wanted to support local business) and so I picked up an RTX 3060 12G. What a difference. That Sophia + Alien render I did took around 5-7 mins to render on my 1050TI 4G. I rendered the same scene in 1 min today, with my web browser open and running (couldn't do that before, had to shut down the browser to conserve VRAM).

I loaded up the following Subway scene, with my browser open and without reducing geometry (hiding objects) and without reducing the texture size and this rendered to my normal 200 iteration denoised scene in about 1 min. MUCH faster, but also, with normal textures, the quality is already increased due to the fact I don't have to reduce them anymore.

I'm quite pleased.

View attachment 1873483
Bro the subway scene!!!

4.60 star(s) 11 Votes