Sum FΑggott

Mar 8, 2017
the scene with the 2 hobos, is there a difference what option you pick (react relaxed or react annoyed). the first option is written in green, where the second is in red

DeafPerv

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2018
oh alright sorry I did not know I was like surprised u know, but why it takes that long to render 1 picture? 5 hours? what science is behind that?
The more subject it has the larger the file is. A single character is 2-3 gigabytes. Added lights, architectures can make the scene 8-9 gigabytes. Sometimes that can cross 15 gigabytes.

Gpu compresses the whole thing to 3-6 megabytes. Compression takes a lot of time.

A gpu of 3, 6 or even 8gb will take far more time than a gpu of 11, 16 or 24gb.
That's why quadros and titans are called workstation gpus. They have bigger memories and lot more cuda cores

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
oh alright sorry I did not know I was like surprised u know, but why it takes that long to render 1 picture? 5 hours? what science is behind that?
The internet is a wonderful thing. You can type in 3D rendering in a Google search box and have all the scientific information you want on the subject.

The important point to take away from the responses is, you can word your questions with more respect if you are not yet fully informed on the subject. Starting with an accusatory tone doesn't further discussion.

Lust&Passion

Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
damn but thats really low ammount even for 1 month... some games have even more for 1 month god damn it
yea well i hope i did cause making 300 or 400 pics for one month and taking like $2,600 dollars seems to low and lazy work and i mean it
I understand that not everyone is familiar with Daz Studio and game development. Please don't take this the wrong way. I just take a few minutes to give you and who else isn't familiar with Daz Studio some little information about what rendering is and about the effort of my work. Everybody else who either has read my earlier answers in this forum on this subject or knows about the process anyway, can just ignore the following.

First of all a render is not equal to a render. And before clicking the render button you must first create something to render. A scene. And this is where you have to distinguish a lot!
You can take some character, give him/her some clothes without adjusting them, give him/her a preset pose also without adjusting it and insert a simple background picture. This would take not longer than a few seconds. But the more complex a scene is and the more you pay attention to details (by working with surfaces, special tools, scripts, effects, lighting, moving/squeezing body parts, adjusting the hair in almost every new scene, moving clothes, props, items etc. etc.) the scene to look as natural and authentic as possible, the longer you need to create such a single scene. In a visual novel, especially a visual novel with a lot of renders for every event, you have to plan these single scenes first so that they have a logical course in this event. And now imagine one of these events with 50-100 renders and almost every render has different pedantic manually adjusted (unique) authentic poses, expressions and even changing hair, skin character, props etc. Maybe there are also background characters with also authentic different poses and different clothes (or many different background cars). Imagine to create about 2000 scenes, with hundreds of different realistic and natural poses/expressions and all of them manually adjusted. A huge, huge amount of poses you've created yourself because there are no presets for them. Then dressing hundreds of characters with hundreds of different clothes (some with own textures) which are also manually adjusted to fit the character perfectly and authentically. Then create or edit a lot of areas and rooms yourself. Especially huge areas like in the city or suburb! And this all by trying to avoid any visual mistake. Then create also a lot of effects and put sound to the scenes. Many scenes are so big that you have to use some tricks to render them. This all takes a lot of time and effort!
Then if you also edit every render in Photoshop afterwards, just to make them as flawless and perfect as possible, again you need a lot of time.
And rendering interior scenes takes longer than rendering exterior day scenes. This is because outside you have a huge dome of the sky which emits light to every direction. Interior scenes are isolated (the light through the window is to weak here - increasing it would only increase the image noise) and lightening them naturally without erasing the shadows is the most difficult thing! The result of bad or wrong lighting would be very noisy images (I won't explain how Iray works here. There are a lot of forums where you can read about it if you like to know more or just try to play with the program a little bit.).
And no, I don't need 3-5 hours for a single render. I'm rendering with two 1080ti GPU's. To reach the best render quality result I need for exterior scenes between 8 and 20 minutes. And for interior scenes between 15 and 60 minutes. Loading and saving single huge scenes takes also its time! But I need more time to create, adjust, plan and edit all these hundreds of scenes!
So you have to rethink what 300 renders of this kind are, created in only 3-4 weeks! And this by only one single dev! (And don't forget that beside the rendering there is also the programming, writing and translating of the text.)

To get an even better idea of this amount of renders here an example: Lesson of Passion is the most successful adult game website with also probably the best erotic games. Their biggest games took over a year of development with a group of people. And these games have just between 250 and 400 images! And with the greatest respect to them, because I'm a huge fan of their games for a long time, their renders are very simple, bright, with simple image backgrounds and the poses are also often even without soil contact.
So if you say there are games bringing more than 400 new renders every month, it's... very hard to believe. Unless these are over 400 very simple "same characters, same unadjusted clothes/poses with simple image background scenes". I'd really like to know what games these are.

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
I understand that not everyone is familiar with Daz Studio and game development. Please don't take this the wrong way. I just take a few minutes to give you and who else isn't familiar with Daz Studio some little information about what rendering is and about the effort of my work. Everybody else who either has read my earlier answers in this forum on this subject or knows about the process anyway, can just ignore the following.

First of all a render is not equal to a render. And before clicking the render button you must first create something to render. A scene. And this is where you have to distinguish a lot!
You can take some character, give him/her some clothes without adjusting them, give him/her a preset pose also without adjusting it and insert a simple background picture. This would take not longer than a few seconds. But the more complex a scene is and the more you pay attention to details (by working with surfaces, special tools, scripts, effects, lighting, moving/squeezing body parts, adjusting the hair in almost every new scene, moving clothes, props, items etc. etc.) the scene to look as natural and authentic as possible, the longer you need to create such a single scene. In a visual novel, especially a visual novel with a lot of renders for every event, you have to plan these single scenes first so that they have a logical course in this event. And now imagine one of these events with 50-100 renders and almost every render has different pedantic manually adjusted (unique) authentic poses, expressions and even changing hair, skin character, props etc. Maybe there are also background characters with also authentic different poses and different clothes (or many different background cars). Imagine to create about 2000 scenes, with hundreds of different realistic and natural poses/expressions and all of them manually adjusted. A huge, huge amount of poses you've created yourself because there are no presets for them. Then dressing hundreds of characters with hundreds of different clothes (some with own textures) which are also manually adjusted to fit the character perfectly and authentically. Then create or edit a lot of areas and rooms yourself. Especially huge areas like in the city or suburb! And this all by trying to avoid any visual mistake. Then create also a lot of effects and put sound to the scenes. Many scenes are so big that you have to use some tricks to render them. This all takes a lot of time and effort!
Then if you also edit every render in Photoshop afterwards, just to make them as flawless and perfect as possible, again you need a lot of time.
And rendering interior scenes takes longer than rendering exterior day scenes. This is because outside you have a huge dome of the sky which emits light to every direction. Interior scenes are isolated (the light through the window is to weak here - increasing it would only increase the image noise) and lightening them naturally without erasing the shadows is the most difficult thing! The result of bad or wrong lighting would be very noisy images (I won't explain how Iray works here. There are a lot of forums where you can read about it if you like to know more or just try to play with the program a little bit.).
And no, I don't need 3-5 hours for a single render. I'm rendering with two 1080ti GPU's. To reach the best render quality result I need for exterior scenes between 8 and 20 minutes. And for interior scenes between 15 and 60 minutes. Loading and saving single huge scenes takes also its time! But I need more time to create, adjust, plan and edit all these hundreds of scenes!
So you have to rethink what 300 renders of this kind are, created in only 3-4 weeks! And this by only one single dev! (And don't forget that beside the rendering there is also the programming, writing and translating of the text.)

To get an even better idea of this amount of renders here an example: Lesson of Passion is the most successful adult game website with also probably the best erotic games. Their biggest games took over a year of development with a group of people. And these games have just between 250 and 400 images! And with the greatest respect to them, because I'm a huge fan of their games for a long time, their renders are very simple, bright, with simple image backgrounds and the poses are also often even without soil contact.
So if you say there are games bringing more than 400 new renders every month, it's... very hard to believe. Unless these are over 400 very simple "same characters, same unadjusted clothes/poses with simple image background scenes". I'd really like to know what games these are.
....and now we don't even have to use Google search.

Always a pleasure to see a dev take time out to explain intricate parts of game design. But, good gosh man! This probably cost us 2 or 3 renders! What were you thinking???

Reactions: the66

Lust&Passion

Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
....and now we don't even have to use Google search.

Always a pleasure to see a dev take time out to explain intricate parts of game design. But, good gosh man! This probably cost us 2 or 3 renders! What were you thinking???
Don't worry, I did it while rendering ;)
the scene with the 2 hobos, is there a difference what option you pick (react relaxed or react annoyed). the first option is written in green, where the second is in red
It will have impacts on the story. The first you'll already see the next day (Vers. 0.04).
Yeah i know, but theres already a build up with the movers and a sexual tensions between Sophia and Ivan.
The mover will return but at the very end of the game.

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Don't worry, I did it while rendering ;)
Well, now, if you're going to multi-task, I'm going to have to call for bi-weekly updates. Maybe even weekly! C'mon, you must be slacking off by increasing your sleep hours to 3 now, huh?

BSoda

Aug 17, 2016
The takeaway of the story is: the dev is using two 1080ti GPUs (and Photoshop for post-processing), which explains the incredibly high quality of his renders. And here I thought I'd be able to create my first game using an old GTX680. Well, a man can dream. In any case, keep up the good work, dev - we're all excited to see how the story develops.
You still can...it'll just take you longer. A lot longer.

3.20 star(s) 461 Votes