naughtynafz

Creating "Aiden's Revenge"
Game Developer
Dec 2, 2019
I love this game and really do admire L&P's unwavering commitment to the highest quality output. But, the question about development time does need to be addressed if for no other reason than I can't see how this single story justifies 5-10 years of their time. I mean, as good as this game is, it's not exactly Anna Karenina.

Based on the last few pages of comments it's pretty clear that the leading contributor to the long development time is the length of the script - it's clear from the DEV and Patreon supporters' comments above that just about every line of dialogue gets its own render - which is totally justified from L&P's perspective and, from my perspective, combines fantastically with the quality of the visual elements to elevate it far beyond a huge percentage of the otherwise pretty good, and even really good, games we see on this site and elsewhere.

But, 43 pages of MS Word document if I recall, just for this partial-day update? This is a clear sign that a good editor is needed to reduce the meandering dialogue.

Gone with the Wind runs 3 hrs 45 min, script is 183 pages.
Gandhi runs 3 hrs 11 min, script is 181 pages.
The Godfather runs 2 hrs 58 mins, originally 171 pages edited down to 163 pages.

Putting aside personal taste, there's no credible case to be made that these movies don't have a lot of fully developed characters, ample back story and attention to setting, multiple characters with their own motivations and ambitions, mystery/intrigue/plot twists, a couple of surprises along the way, and PLENTY of detail, subtlety and nuance.

Even if you add 65% to account for multiple branching paths, any one of these epic tales would have a script running not much more than 300 pages.

Taking a more episodic example, the published scripts for two seasons of Fleabag: 12 episodes; six hours of on-screen content; number of pages: 405. Again, adding 65% for multiple paths, yields a total length of ~675 pages. Like most 30-minute shows, episodes are a mix of small event/scenes, medium event/scenes, long event/scenes, sometimes having one really big event/scene with fewer short/medium scenes.

Even using an hour-long television drama as a template, the script length per episode is roughly 45 pages. Adding 65% for branching stories is approaching 75 pages.

Multiplying it out, 75 pages x 25 episodes = 1875 script pages. Divide that by 30 playable days = 62.5 pages per playable day.

The question L&P (and all of us) should ask is, are these 30 playable days going to add up to anything even close to the content of 25 episodes of a traditional 1-hour long television drama? Never mind that the very excellent Anna Karenina movie from 2012 had a particularly dense script, at 208 pages (345 with branching add-ons) for 2 hrs 11 minute runtime.

--
there's difference between linear novel and choice based visual novel. may be you are playing it linearly, but he has to make it with multiple paths with so many branches.

Mr Killer D

Jun 7, 2019
Dear AWAM Lovers
Does anyone know that Lust & Passion are actually two people..? One person does the graphics work while the other person does the coding.They have a lot of patreon supporters so they both have their own computers with good specification.That's why all the updates of the game are coming so quickly.

By
Someone who knows them very well

Julius Ash

Sep 26, 2017
Dear AWAM Lovers
Does anyone know that Lust & Passion are actually two people..? One person does the graphics work while the other person does the coding.They have a lot of patreon supporters so they both have their own computers with good specification.That's why all the updates of the game are coming so quickly.

By
Someone who knows them very well
let's call them speedy & gonzales :ROFLMAO:

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
there's difference between linear novel and choice based visual novel. may be you are playing it linearly, but he has to make it with multiple paths with so many branches.
Which is why i added 65% to each list of pages, making 100 pages 165, and so on. L&P continues to talk about quantity and all I'm saying is that, based on the amount of story and character we're getting from them, the script is inefficient at delivering substance. 'Inefficient' is pretty soft language, bloated is probably more apt.

Neoblack

Jan 27, 2019
1596552696314.png

Now that Melbourne got locked down for 6 weeks under "State of Disaster" Hope this update comes out before the lockdown finishes or exrtended on 13th Sept. I actually thought we get atleast two updates during Covid given that, less socail activities for normal humans. but it's not proven that devs are not normal or human for that matter.

end of August ?? Please ..... huh.... hmmmm ok?

tomeczek32100

Feb 21, 2019
View attachment 758845

Now that Melbourne got locked down for 6 weeks under "State of Disaster" Hope this update comes out before the lockdown finishes or exrtended on 13th Sept. I actually thought we get atleast two updates during Covid given that, less socail activities for normal humans. but it's not proven that devs are not normal or human for that matter.

end of August ?? Please ..... huh.... hmmmm ok?
it was already breakfast in bed, now it's time for dinner:LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::FacePalm::FacePalm::FacePalm::FacePalm:

3.20 star(s) 461 Votes