Shiva0067

Sep 3, 2017
Well, 2 cents from someone who has no idea about the engines or ANYTHING. :)

You have said that the game is mapped out. If it is possible why not take 'version' to a point where you can call it a prologue or introduction, then switch to new system for part 2 or main game. As I said, I don't know anything really, and have no idea if there is such a point in your event mapping that you could do this. However, if that is possible for you, then there would be some time to learn about and choose an alternate engine for your game without the massive work learning and converting everything. Later, when working on part2 (the phantom new stuff menace?) you could do a slow conversion of part 1 as a side project that: 1) is mostly transfering already finished material. and B) has no real time pressure.

Just a thought from the mind of an insane idiot. :)

Reactions: Jansen

Watsonholmes

Jul 16, 2017
I think you're worrying to much mate. No chance will you come close to hitting the limit, i've seen far bigger Japanese hentai games doing just fight on RPGMaker.

Don't sweat it, if you hit the limit then that just means your game is almost "too long".

And you can always do what ICSTOR does and make sequels.

"A Wife and a Mother 2" etc
I agree. For a demo this is already a great game. If the size is eventually too big having a weekly episode would be good. If saves can't be used there are other developers that have a question system in place to see where your character was in the previous version

PoEbalu

Apr 27, 2017
Well, 2 cents from someone who has no idea about the engines or ANYTHING. :)

You have said that the game is mapped out. If it is possible why not take 'version' to a point where you can call it a prologue or introduction, then switch to new system for part 2 or main game.

Just a thought from the mind of an insane idiot. :)
what you propose...have no sense at all...
1) it's game about choices and consequences.
2) you can't transfer those from one engine to another,thus making it impossible,unless you wanna make demo linear,then what's the point of the demo ?

hypothetically he could break up the game in to parts to avoid engine overloading and make save transfers,but that would be headache in itself but still it's an option.

I don't think there is an actual picture limit
he don't need "thinks",he need facts. the problem with the engine is that it's not made to process this amount of data.
you can make it in the editor,who said executable will able to handle it ? mv is basically runing in web browser. it will be a lag fest.

Last edited:

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
what you propose...have no sense at all...
1) it's game about choices and consequences.
2) you can't transfer those from one engine to another,thus making it impossible,unless you wanna make demo linear,then what's the point of the demo ?
Of course you can. All you'd need is an introduction where you select the choices made in the previous version and then different starting scenarios for the major branches with slight variations according to your choices.
It's extra work and not particularly elegant but it's definitely possible.

Lust&Passion

Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
@Lust&Passion the only picture limit I know of is 100 on screen at once. I don't think there is an actual picture limit within the maker but I've reached out to a few friends to confirm.
I asked about it in the rpg maker forum and they explained it like that: there is a limit of 2000 items in the database. That doesn't mean that you can't also put more images inside. The problem is: if you put more items/images in the database then it will have an impact on other game entities and restricts them for example less events or maps! In the end the game would collapse with 10.000 pics and 1000 events!. And to continue working on rpg maker till it collapse and then start a Part 2 is absolutely not suitable with my story and gameplay. Cause what about the decisions you made in Part 1? They would not exist in Part 2! So, that's not really a good option! It's so annoying why rpg maker mv is so limited!!! It has such an easy and lucid development style! Just perfect for open world novels! Ren'py looks so much more confusing, especially if you will have such a long story with so many decisions and different story lines! I really don't know how long it would take to learn it. Cause it's so different with its scripting style! I'm accustomed to the switches, variables, choices, conditional branches of rpg maker. Now I have to learn how to do this in ren'py and then laboriously rewrite everything from rpg to it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Adolfo

wewlad

Aug 8, 2016
I asked about it in the rpg maker forum and they explained it like that: there is a limit of 2000 items in the database. That doesn't mean that you can't also put more images inside. The problem is: if you put more items/images in the database then it will have an impact on other game entities and restricts them for example less events or maps! In the end the game would collapse with 10.000 pics and 1000 events!. And to continue working on rpg maker till it collapse and then start a Part 2 is absolutely not suitable with my story and gameplay. Cause what about the decisions you made in Part 1? They would not exist in Part 2! So, that's not really a good option! It's so annoying why rpg maker mv is so limited!!! It has such an easy and lucid development style! Just perfect for open world novels! Ren'py looks so much more confusing, especially if you will have such a long story with so many decisions and different story lines! I really don't know how long it would take to learn it. Cause it's so different with its scripting style! I'm accustomed to the switches, variables, choices, conditional branches of rpg maker. Now I have to learn how to do this in ren'py and then laboriously rewrite everything from rpg to it!
I think you're making a mistake m8.

You've just made a demo, got a good chunk of support and hype, no need to throw away that momentum because of a hypothetical limit that you might never even reach, a limit that i've never seen come close to being reached by any developer. There are hundreds and thousands of RPG Maker hentai games that are far bigger than anything i've ever seen a Western Developer produce.

I wouldn't jump the gun, RPG Maker is fine. You're just stressing out over nothing right now, it's still the 0.01 version of your game. To exceed the RPG Maker Limit would have to be a conscious decision, it's not something you do by accident and i've literally never seen, nor heard it ever happen.

Last edited:

Shiva0067

Sep 3, 2017
Like I said I don't know anything about the game engines, but would think that a end of game/episode/chapter code might be generated for the big choices made. Then have player enter that at start of the next part and game could continue. It would be more work (probably a lot), but could give a way to change engines or extend play into multiple parts.

Just a thought.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
There are hundreds and thousands of RPG Maker hentai games that are far bigger than anything i've ever seen a Western Developer produce.
I kinda doubt that, even taking into account that you're exaggerating to make a point.
If he's seriously planning for 10000 (3d render) images he'd go far beyond anything I've ever seen in a RPG Maker game, Western or otherwise.

To exceed the RPG Maker Limit would have to be a conscious decision, it's not something you do by accident and i've literally never seen, nor heard it ever happen.
Not sure about that either.
When Roundscape Adorevia turned into an almost unplayable lagfest for a few versions, what was the cause of that? Did they just screw up the transition from one version of RPG Maker to another or was that content-related?

wewlad

Aug 8, 2016
I kinda doubt that, even taking into account that you're exaggerating to make a point.
If he's seriously planning for 10000 (3d render) images he'd go far beyond anything I've ever seen in a RPG Maker game, Western or otherwise.

Not sure about that either.
When Roundscape Adorevia turned into an almost unplayable lagfest for a few versions, what was the cause of that? Did they just screw up the transition from one version of RPG Maker to another or was that content-related?

Your doubts don't mean much to me until you can give me a specific example of it happening. Roundscape Adrovia was a buggy unoptimised shitheap right from the get go. It had nothing to do with the pictures.

Do you know how long it would take to render 10,000 pictures of that quality, let alone producing a game around that? The developer is getting ahead of himself there. Let him at least get past the 0.01 version before he starts worrying about "RPGMaker not being able to handle his game", especially when significantly bigger RPG Maker games exist out there with no problems.

Reactions: User_166761

wewlad

Aug 8, 2016
yeah, sorry. I meant an incest lesson of passion copy!

I DON'T WANT MY GAME THE TOP what concerns the money!!! I want to make the best game what concerns quality and story! But investing an higher effort than this dark silver guy and get 1/30 of his support? This game is not feasible! Many forget that such an high level needs much time and an extreme hardware. 10% of the pledges goes to Patreon and fees. I live in Germany and here you easily will give 50-60% from the rest to the greedy German government! So, about 30%-40% of them pledges are mine! From them I need to pay the flat, electric, water, health insurance and of course invest a lot of money in hardware and equipment. Also pay people to help me out a little! For that of course I need a minimum of support! I've never wanted and expected to earn that much like this BB or DMD dude what is just ridiculous for their games! Neither mine nor any other game of that genre is worth such an huge pledge!!! We are not developing GTA 6 or Fallout 5!!!
And I won't change the female MC cause I wrote a whole 30 days story for her!
Dude, I've noticed you lashing out at other developers on Patreon and now here, I would stop that pretty quickly because you stand to gain nothing by bad mouthing popular developers. A lot of people who play those games that you bad mouthed (Big Brother for example), will be playing this game because it has similar fetishes (Incest for instance).

You also are showing a worrying lack of direction, you seem to be panicking already on your patreon and lashing out because of it (citing Big Brother having something like $8,000 in 2 weeks). This WILL turn people away from your game and it will shatter the hype/momentum you have right now.

People who pledge, want to pledge to a levelheaded developer who knows what they want their game to be. Pledging isn't a one off payment, it's a commitment and you need to show people that you are committed to your project and have a clear end goal in sight if you want them to be committed to you.

Talking about doing total system changes to Ren'Py and levelling frustration at other developers who haven't done anything to you, is simply not an effective way to market your game. Especially not considering the fact that you've only just release your demo, it just sets of way to many red flags.

My advice, take it or leave it, work on the 0.2 version of the game. Release a solid update that shows people that you can be consistent. When you set a deadline (whatever it may be), make sure you meet it. Content wise, you need to live up to your original demo, so it will likely need to be a good sized update (doesn't have to be as big but maybe 1/4 as big or something reasonable).

People don't trust as easily as they did back when Big Brother or Dating My Daughter released. Too many developers, milkers and outright scam artists have came and gone. You need to show people that you will be different, no matter how strong your initial update was, consistency will always be a doubt that you need to remove.

TL;DR - Calm down. You've released a fantastic demo, got a good amount of support and now you need to go back to work and let the support grow. Release a sneak preview every now and then, give a rough date for the 0.02 version and just relax. You're giving yourself a heart attack over nothing.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
Your doubts don't mean much to me until you can give me a specific example of it happening.
Lovely, I appreciate your input as well.
I'll get right on specific examples after you linked those "thousands of RPG Maker hentai games that are far bigger than anything i've ever seen a Western Developer produce".

Do you know how long it would take to render 10,000 pictures of that quality, let alone producing a game around that? The developer is getting ahead of himself there. Let him at least get past the 0.01 version before he starts worrying about "RPGMaker not being able to handle his game", especially when significantly bigger RPG Maker games exist out there with no problems.
I genuinely don't know how long it would take.
However, when I'm looking at the amount of content (and the file size) of his 0.01 version I don't doubt that he's really planning for 10k pics and not just throwing around a number cause it sounds impressive.
In that case it might be a prudent idea to think about a change of platforms early, rather than wait till he has no choice but to switch or split it into multiple games.

Lust&Passion

Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
Your doubts don't mean much to me until you can give me a specific example of it happening. Roundscape Adrovia was a buggy unoptimised shitheap right from the get go. It had nothing to do with the pictures.

My demo already got about 930 full staged renders! It's just the version 0.01 and just the third playable day of 30! And my story is already written! So believe me I can surely better estimate my game than you! And it WILL have about 10.000 renders and maybe 100-200 animations! I'm even afraid that it will have more than 10.000 renders in the end! That's why it's advisable now to decide if changing engine or not cause it would take surely much longer to rewrite a game with 7000 renders than the 930-1000 I got now!

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
TL;DR - Calm down. You've released a fantastic demo, got a good amount of support and now you need to go back to work and let the support grow. Release a sneak preview every now and then, give a rough date for the 0.02 version and just relax. You're giving yourself a heart attack over nothing.
I told him that around 5-7 times already... I am just concerned. Hes attitude seems to be biggest threat for this game so far and I slowly start to have bad feelings about it. I hope that he just have/had a little crisis and resume work.

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
My demo already got about 930 full staged renders! It's just the version 0.01 and just the third playable day of 30! And my story is already written! So believe me I can surely better estimate my game than you! And it WILL have about 10.000 renders and maybe 100-200 animations! I'm even afraid that it will have more than 10.000 renders in the end! That's why it's advisable now to decide if changing engine or not cause it would take surely much longer to rewrite a game with 7000 renders than the 930-1000 I got now!
You are answered many times already. DON'T change engine now. MAYBE renpy would be better from the beginning, but it is not better now, because of cost. Personally I am fed up with renpy, I vomit this engine more than RPGMAKER.

As for renders - consider releasing skunked version as option AND/OR divide game to episodes. I personally hate episodes, but maybe, if game reaches 4gb LOL, it may be good idea. I would make skunked version default with HI RES PACK as option.

Lust&Passion

Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
My demo already got about 930 full staged renders! It's just the version 0.01 and just the third playable day of 30! And my story is already written! So believe me I can surely better estimate my game than you! And it WILL have about 10.000 renders and maybe 100-200 animations! I'm even afraid that it will have more than 10.000 renders!
You are answered many times already. DON'T change engine now. MAYBE renpy would be better from the beginning, but it is not better now, because of cost. Personally I am fed up with renpy, I vomit this engine more than RPGMAKER.

As for renders - consider releasing skunked version as option AND/OR divide game to episodes. I personally hate episodes, but maybe, if game reaches 4gb LOL, it may be good idea. I would make skunked version default with HI RES PACK as option.
NOW it's not about support to change it. It's cause I've heard that a game with 10k huge renders and a lot of events could just collapse rpg maker sooner or later! I have never really liked rpg maker but I didn't know it's also so freaking limited. I only like the little open world feeling it simulates and its easy and lucid game programming cause my focus is rather on story and perfect rendered scenes. I was about to stay with rpg but what I've heard: what is the point to keep developing a game when it will collapse sometime on this engine? I don't understand why rpg maker is fee-based as such a weak program while ren'py is free!

Reactions: Adolfo

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
NOW it's not about support to change it. It's cause I've heard that a game with 10k huge renders and a lot of events could just collapse rpg maker sooner or later! I have never really liked rpg maker but I didn't know it's also so freaking limited. I only like the little open world feeling it simulates and its easy and lucid game programming cause my focus is rather on story and perfect rendered scenes. I was about to stay with rpg but what I've heard: what is the point to keep developing a game when it will collapse sometime on this engine? I don't understand why rpg maker is fee-based as such a weak program while ren'py is free!
Don't make huge renders default. Deliver skunked version as default, post hi res pack as option and problem with GB will be postponed greatly.
You may want to divide game into chapters to deal with problem too many/too big pictures.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
If you are really worried about the image limit, just split your game into multiple chapters. Problem solved.

If your total image is 10,000 for 30-day gameplay and the limit is 2,000 images like you believe, then split your game into 5 games or more. People can just use the old save file to load into the next game.

Game 1: Day 1-5
Game 2: Day 6-10
Game 3: Day 11-15
Game 4: Day 16-20
Game 5: Day 21-25
Game 6: Day 26-30 (end)

Other than that, this game is already super perfect without any fault. Great job! I would've donated you $10,000/month if I could.

Lust&Passion

Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
If you are really worried about the image limit, just split your game into multiple chapters. Problem solved.

If your total image is 10,000 for 30-day gameplay and the limit is 2,000 images like you believe, then split your game into 5 games or more. People can just use the old save file to load into the next game.

Game 1: Day 1-5
Game 2: Day 6-10
Game 3: Day 11-15
Game 4: Day 16-20
Game 5: Day 21-25
Game 6: Day 26-30 (end)

Other than that, this game is already super perfect without any fault. Great job! I would've donated you $10,000/month if I could.
Using a save from one game project in a new game project isn't possible. And I don't like to split the game in so many parts anyway! I just will start to learn ren'py the next few days and try to play around with it and look how it works! After all I already got all the dialogues and renders. But I still don't know how I will do many things there cause my story and the events were written for rpg maker. I guess I will still need at least a month to rewrite this demo to ren'py. Probably longer! But at the end it could be really the better decision considering how long the game will still be!

Reactions: Adolfo and lexus33
3.20 star(s) 461 Votes