Dr.SigmundFap

Engaged Member
Apr 23, 2017
I would be very surprised if he didn't take a vacation over the summer. I mean, he should take a vacation, all of us should. But I swear to god, if he moves again and it takes him three weeks to do it, I may have to start asking some questions.
I don't think he'll move again, but the chain on his bike may need to be fixed. That could take a couple of weeks.

Dr.SigmundFap

Engaged Member
Apr 23, 2017
Their, there, they're.

To, too, and two is worse for most non-native speakers.

Also, only in English is this a grammatically correct sentence:

Mods- please don't delete this, just be happy we aren't attacking one another in our endless wait for the next update.
The one thing I would say to help Non-English speakers write in English is to download an app that you can use with your browser called Grammarly. It can accurately help them quite a bit when writing in English.

PietruccioTheHilander

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2019
Don't worry you still have time to reach this timeframe, jeez of all the discussions here this is what he's bothered off... how about bother to complete your GOALS on your patreon page... "Furthermore, I'll try to hire someone to help me out with the project!" and "I'll give my hardware a massive "face-lift", primarily to render faster"
indeed the hardware has been updated with new video cards; but then he had trouble getting them to work and froze for a while

ashitanojoe

Oct 20, 2019
It's not so much about being grammatically correct as it is about being consistent. Most people default to using the "he/him" pronouns when addressing other posters online- trust me, I experience it. So to use other pronouns such as "her/she" or "they/them" actually shows a command of the language that is above average. Most of the people here who use the pronouns "they/them" to identify L&P have shown a very good grasp of English, even if it isn't their first language. So, my takeaway is that these posters are actually trying hard to be polite towards L&P because they aren't sure who L&P is and how they identify. It's actually super nice and polite of them to do that. I just wanted to finally say something that L&P has identified as male, and uses the pronouns "he/him". I believe the people who are most likely to use the pronouns "they/them" are also very likely to read all the posts, so they'll likely see what I said. I mean, in the end it isn't a big deal, but it was just one of those things that I felt should be mentioned at some point- and Bane just gave me the opening.
I don't get it. I agree that using 'it' to refer to a person sounds awful. But how do you use 'they/them' for a single person?

Reactions: Jack Adams

Dr.SigmundFap

Engaged Member
Apr 23, 2017
I don't get it. I agree that using 'it' to refer to a person sounds awful. But how do you use 'they/them' for a single person?
They and Them are often used to define a group, as you said, but if you don't know the person's gender, "They" can be used as a gender-neutral word until you know their gender. In this case, L&P states that he is a male.

ashitanojoe

Oct 20, 2019
They posted a poor example (when I'm talking about Alley_Cat ). I don't know their sex, so I used "they".
They and Them are often used to define a group, as you said, but if you don't know the person's gender, "They" can be used as a gender-neutral word until you know their gender. In this case, L&P states that he is a male.
But this is something new, right? This reminds me that episode from 'This Is Us' where the daughter is 'teaching' her mother that she must not refer to her friend as 'she', because her friend is a non binary person. That she must use 'they' instead (And she yells at her mother actually).

I personally find this unnecessary, but to each 'their' own.

Hey! Look what example I found: the sentence is 'to each his own', not her own, neither their own, nor 'his/her' own. His own. If we don't know the gender of a person we use 'he'.

nexer

Forum Fanatic
Feb 5, 2019
Interesting discussion, but you are moving away from the new Progress line promoted by Biden and Trudeau. The new Progress line promotes inclusive, gender-neutral language.
So, excuse me, but English discriminates, separating by gender. :whistle:

ashitanojoe

Oct 20, 2019
Ok, I respect Walt Whitman, one of the greatest American poets. Look this sentence from his poem 'Song of Myself, 48':

"And whoever walks a furlong without sympathy walks to his own
funeral drest in his shroud."

Would you prefer something like:

"And whoever walks a furlong without sympathy walks to his/her own
funeral drest in his/her shroud.
"

Or

"And whoever walks a furlong without sympathy walks to his or her own
funeral drest in his or her shroud.
"

In the middle of a poem? Really?

And If you write: "And whoever walks a furlong without sympathy walks to their own"
Is not that bad grammar?

I'm asking. No need to be rude.

Dr.SigmundFap

Engaged Member
Apr 23, 2017
Ok, I respect Walt Whitman, one of the greatest American poets. Look this sentence from his poem 'Song of Myself, 48':

Would you prefer something like:

"And whoever walks a furlong without sympathy walks to his/her own
funeral drest in his/her shroud.
"

Or

"And whoever walks a furlong without sympathy walks to his or her own
funeral drest in his or her shroud.
"

In the middle of a poem? Really?

And If you write: "And whoever walks a furlong without sympathy walks to their own"
Is not that bad grammar?

I'm asking. No need to be rude.
I think you're making this a little bit more complicated than what it is.

The author has already identified the gender in this sentence, and he is conveying that the gender is male in his poem. Now let's go back to your previous example of "They." I think this is the best way to describe this word in a sentence with a definition.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Picture you're outside of a store, and you and someone with you see a person in the store, but you don't know the gender. One of you may tell the other to go see if they may help you. Once you know the gender, you can use the word he or she.

Reactions: Lord_Xanatos

ashitanojoe

Oct 20, 2019
I think you're making this a little bit more complicated than what it is.

The author has already identified the gender in this sentence, and he is conveying that the gender is male in his poem. Now let's go back to your previous example of "They." I think this is the best way to describe this word in a sentence with a definition.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Picture you're outside of a store and you and someone with you see a person in the store but you don't know the gender. One of you may tell the other to go see if they may help you. Once you know the gender, you can used the word he or she.
Oh no, he is clearly referring to all the people, he isn't referring to a single person, he is talking about everybody, every gender.

My question about your example is that if this is a new way of speaking? Or you have used 'they' in that context always, since centuries ago?

3.20 star(s) 466 Votes