• We're currently performing maintenance on the search system, we'll get it back ASAP.

bluehound36

Apr 27, 2017
Even if they were all $1 patrons... (They are not) That would still be $5000+ Per month which is $60,000 per year. The last time money per patron was shown for Icstor it averaged at around $8 per patron. If those numbers remained constant then his current = $42,720 per month or $512,640 per year. For two years he has basically done jack shit. He released like 400 renders in 2 years. Lets say he made 500k per year over 2 years that is $1,000,000 for 400 renders. The guy made $2,500 per render over the last 2 years.
Don't forget patreon's cut and taxes (which vary by country). Before all that you might be relatively accurate but after it, not so much. Either way, some of these devs are making some seriously good money doing what they are (depending on their lifestyle choices and financial decisions).

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
Don't forget patreon's cut and taxes (which vary by country). Before all that you might be relatively accurate but after it, not so much. Either way, some of these devs are making some seriously good money doing what they are.
Yea, the poor guy is only making $1250 per render now since they took half in taxes and patreon fees...

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Jun 25, 2017
Are you suggesting someone setup thousands of accounts that pay Patreon $0.10 per month to boost their patreon ranking?
Of.. course?
How is this news? They basically pay themselves then Patreon takes their cut, they keep around 90%.
Suddendly the creator looks much more legit and in demand.

bluehound36

Apr 27, 2017
Yea, the poor guy is only making $1250 per render now since they took half in taxes and patreon fees...
This might come as a surprise but depending on country, that's pretty much the poverty line and in some cases below it. That'd basically come out to 15,000 per year. Even in most developed nations that's below the poverty line depending on how many people are in a household.

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
This might come as a surprise but depending on country, that's pretty much the poverty line and in some cases below it. That'd basically come out to 15,000 per year. Even in most developed nations that's below the poverty line.
That is per render not per month... Per month was $42,720 pre taxes.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Jun 25, 2017
This might come as a surprise but depending on country, that's pretty much the poverty line and in some cases below it. That'd basically come out to 15,000 per year. Even in most developed nations that's below the poverty line depending on how many people are in a household.
He's talking about "per render". Not "per month".

ashitanojoe

Oct 20, 2019
Of.. course?
How is this news? They basically pay themselves then Patreon takes their cut, they keep around 90%.
Suddendly the creator looks much more legit and in demand.
I know that you are the guy of the conspiracy theories, but think about this: Why do you know about Icstor? The answer is simple, his game and him are immensely popular. His thread here is the second most viewed one. Don't you think that it makes sense that he can have more than 5000 patrons? Besides, you are forgetting that he already finished a game, he isn't a newbie, he has been in this for a long time. If he would have remained constant he could be near to DrPinkCake profit numbers, but he is very far, precisely for his lack of work.

bluehound36

Apr 27, 2017
That is per render not per month... Per month was $42,720 pre taxes.
He's not being paid by render though. He's being paid like every other dev on patreon is for his content, by monthly. For your logic to be fully accurate, he'd be making per render what he's making by the month or at least relatively close to it. That isn't happening though. Perhaps he's like other artists out there and does private commissions on the side maybe but that is his business and depending on the customer, the price of such commissions can and do vary.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Jun 25, 2017
I know that you are the guy of the conspiracy theories, but think about this: Why do you know about Icstor? The answer is simple, his game and him are immensely popular. His thread here is the most viewed one. Don't you think that it makes sense that he can have more than 5000 patrons? Besides, you are forgetting that he already finished a game, he isn't a newbie, he has been in this for a long time. If he would have remained constant he could be near to DrPinkCake profit numbers, but he is very far, precisely for his lack of work.
Which conspiracy theories? The forecasts on how L&Ps development would derail and now here we are with this mess of a development?

I'm not saying he (icstor) can't have thousands of patreons. What I am doing is talking about basic stuff that everyone does in business and social platforms, this isn't some conspiracy and if in 2022 you need to read this from some random online then maybe get some knowledge on how things work before calling someone "the guy of the conspiracy theories", specially the one who, about a year and a half ago, told everyone what is happening today.

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
He's not being paid by render though. He's being paid like every other dev on patreon is for his content, by monthly. For your logic to be fully accurate, he'd be making per render what he's making by the month or at least relatively close to it. That isn't happening though. Perhaps he's like other artists out there and does private commissions on the side maybe but that is his business and depending on the customer, the price of such commissions can and do vary.
Of course Icstor is paid per month like everyone else... However if you count up the number of renders over a certain period of time you can convert that number into dollars per render.

To calculate dollars per render you take a time frame. In this case 2 years. or 24 months. Then you count up all the renders in that time frame. In this case 400 renders. Then take the total money earned. You Divide The total amount made by total renders. In this case $1,000,000 by 400. That's $2,500 for each and every render of which there were only 400 over a 24 month span.

I use "Dollars Per Render" To spot milkers. It is a useful number for that. If a person is making thousands of dollars per render... They might just be milking it...

bluehound36

Apr 27, 2017
Of course Icstor is paid per month like everyone else... However if you count up the number of renders over a certain period of time you can convert that number into dollars per render.

To calculate dollars per render you take a time frame. In this case 2 years. or 24 months. Then you count up all the renders in that time frame. In this case 400 renders. Then take the total money earned. You Divide The total amount made by total renders. In this case $1,000,000 by 400. That's $2,500 for each and every render of which there were only 400 over a 24 month span.

I use "Dollars Per Render" To spot milkers. It is a useful number for that. If a person is making thousands of dollars per render... They might just be milking it...
If only that were the case. It's still flawed logic though. Lets just say for sake of argument that he was making bare minimum the 1.50 per month from all of his patrons which sit at 1,846 of them currently which can and does fluctuate by month. That only comes out to 33228 per year before taxes and patreon's cut. That's effectively what your typical low level department/assistant manager might make in most businesses. That really isn't as much as you might think but it is enough to live comfortably to a relative extent depending on nation so long as you can maintain that income over a long period of time. Seriously, if he was making a million bucks like you're trying to claim, i doubt he'd still being working on this game right now cause he'd have upwards of 4 million dollars by now based on your math. That's called fantasy for a reason. I'm talking about L&P which is who i thought you were talking about. Thank you for clarifying that you were referring to someone else cause apparently i missed one of your posts referring to Icstor. Either way though, devs do not make as much as you are thinking off of patreon. Not to that degree anyway. Everyone would be learning to do this stuff if that were the case.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Jun 25, 2017
If only that were the case. It's still flawed logic though. Lets just say for sake of argument that he was making bare minimum the 1.50 per month from all of his patrons which sit at 1,846 of them currently which can and does fluctuate by month. That only comes out to 33228 per year before taxes and patreon's cut. That's effectively what your typical low level department/assistant manager might make in most businesses. That really isn't as much as you might think but it is enough to live comfortably to a relative extent depending on nation so long as you can maintain that income over a long period of time. Seriously, if he was making a million bucks like you're trying to claim, i doubt he'd still being working on this game right now cause he'd have upwards of 4 million dollars by now based on your math. That's called fantasy for a reason.
He's talking about ICStor

Reactions: yihman1

ashitanojoe

Oct 20, 2019
Which conspiracy theories? The forecasts on how L&Ps development would derail and now here we are with this mess of a development?

I'm not saying he (icstor) can't have thousands of patreons. What I am doing is talking about basic stuff that everyone does in business and social platforms, this isn't some conspiracy and if in 2022 you need to read this from some random online then maybe get some knowledge on how things work before calling someone "the guy of the conspiracy theories", specially the one who, about a year and a half ago, told everyone what is happening today.
Me and some others have told you that L&P draining the development intentionally is absurd, being slow makes you earn less than being fast, you receive less support. How is that DecentMonkey has more patrons than L&P with a significant less popular game? Because he is fast and L&P not. I already have put the example of DreamNow, the guy achieved in one year what took L&P two in terms of patrons. Being fast is the best way to make money here.

crabboid

Sep 7, 2019
I think I might have come up with an addition to Patreon that would keep devs on a strict schedule, and potentially make them a lot of money: time-sensitive tips.

-I'm a comic creator who has a patreon
-I tell my patrons "Cyberforce #4 will be out by June 3rd, I promise."
-My page sets June 3rd as the hard release date
-In order to keep me on task/show appreciation/whatever, my patrons would have the option to give me a "tip" amount of their choosing on top of whatever they're already paying
-All that money gets put into a pool
-If I successfully meet that deadline, I get all the accumulated money in that pool
-If I fail to meet that deadline, everyone gets refunded whatever bonus money they paid, and I hang my head in shame

• Thinking Face
Reactions: krak0n and yihman1

Jonsnuu

Sep 13, 2017
May be 2042.. But not sure about it..
to be correct it is 2032 lol
You're both wrong. What makes you think Sophia will ever get a sex scene with anyone else but her husband. At most she will give a blowjob to another character but we might not see that happen in our life. I'm sure the creator will pass this work down to his kids when they're adults and able to work on this too.

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
I think I might have come up with an addition to Patreon that would keep devs on a strict schedule, and potentially make them a lot of money: time-sensitive tips.

-I'm a comic creator who has a patreon
-I tell my patrons "Cyberforce #4 will be out by June 3rd, I promise."
-My page sets June 3rd as the hard release date
-In order to keep me on task/show appreciation/whatever, my patrons would have the option to give me a "tip" amount of their choosing on top of whatever they're already paying
-All that money gets put into a pool
-If I successfully meet that deadline, I get all the accumulated money in that pool
-If I fail to meet that deadline, everyone gets refunded whatever bonus money they paid, and I hang my head in shame
That could work, but there is a major flaw to it that would make it not work so well...

In order to increase rate you just need to sacrafice "Quality" or "Quantity". Corners will be cut to make deadline if they become so important.

So of course more deadlines would be met, but at the cost of more bugs, and less photoshop time, and fewer renders ect. It will be smaller amount of content of worse quality.

It's idiotic for a developer to give any hard deadline of a release date unless they have at least a beta version of that update in hand, and I will explain why that is.

1) You have no control over real world events that can cause delays. You need surgery? Your power went out for a few days? You need to go to funeral? A pet dies? You have a guest staying from out of town for the weekend? These sorts of things and many more things can cause a delay. You can not predict them or prepare for them and they set you back in time... So, you would need to account for them before hand which most people wouldn't do.

2) If you miss a deadline it is only going to reflect poorly on you. That is a broken promise. Don't over promise and under deliver. It is better to under promise and over deliver.

3) Hitting a deadline like that doesn't make you look any better in comparison to missing it.

4) It's better to have a more relaxed working environment than to be worrying about a deadline. I need it done by the 5th! is a lot more demanding and stressful and less fun than, "Keep working at it get it done when you can." This would ruin things for a lot of devs. No dev wants it that strict.

As a Developer it is still good to set deadlines... INTERNAL DEADLINES! That you don't tell the public at all about. That way if you miss one because "Shit Happens"... At least I didn't break a promise. You work hard on it, and get it done when you can. Do the best you can.

3.20 star(s) 466 Votes