sssaam.cindy.2019

Game Developer
Oct 31, 2020
100 renders in a week ? Please show us how :KEK:
Here you go: usually I stop it at 2.000 iterations as you can't see any difference... takes around 1 min 30 sec --- same for 8 characters

:cool: I have thousands of images + sound files :coffee:

Let me know when you finished watching it, I would like to delete it. :giggle:

PietruccioTheHilander

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2019
Hello guys, need your opinion!
We all know that the main problem of the game is a huge amount of renders per each event, because of that one update with one event takes about 4 months to produce.
So I decided to make an experiment. I've downloaded CGs from the last 0.190 update, reduced the amount of images from 414 to 160 and uploaded on Mega: Mega
So I need your opinion. Which is better: 414 images that took 4 months to produce, or 160 images which could be possibly rendered only in 1,5 months?
Put (y) if you'd choose 160 images version with only 1,5 months of development!
Put :ROFLMAO: if you prefer 414 images version with 4 months of development!
Put :love: if you want to see even smaller amount of renders to make updates even faster!
you should do the same thing with text pages :ROFLMAO:

ihl86

Dec 8, 2019
Please, before judging, just have a look, because writing all this actually took more time then watching.
Are you sure you enjoyed all the renders? For example dozens of those where MC stops her son on different stages of the date? Like you really replayed this event to stop Dylan again and again? I mean that if the person is already on Dylan route at this point of the game and wants to see all, what's the point in rendering the interruption of the date in so many ways?
Or our favorite moving around the city. Driving the car, walking the street, walking the hall, walking the corridor, watching some random people doing something. It all also takes dozens of renders, lots of time and doesn't give anything to the story.
There were posts in this thread that show that the rendering speed of the dev didn't change much with time, when he rendered many scenes in on update, and when he started rendering separate scenes. So no. It's definitely not lowering only by 10-30%.

And again now we are talking not about just the couple of years delay in development. We are talking about literally 30 years of development, which will take to finish this game with the current amount of rendering at the current speed. So please be a little more critical to some renders and if they are really needed in this game.
I first want to say that I am definitely not judging. It was just expressing my opinion on the matter. Something definitely needs to change, but I think the answer is a bigger team. With enough pressure from his patrons I think that could happen or he abandons the game completely. I don't think anyone will convince him to do less renders than he feels like for events, no matter what we think.

I looked at the renders you chose in the meantime. They all look fine (although to be honest more than I expected were with them at the club table).
To fully realize what is missing I would have to replay the event and compare any missing render to the one that is supposed to replace it (I imagine you would keep all the writing, just use the same renders for more lines of dialogue or narration)
I actually stopped Dylan again and again the first and only time I played this event. Chose the blocking path, curious what Sophia would do, scrolled back and continue with the event. If I were to replay the event I would indeed not chose those options again but they are important if we don't want just a kinetic novel. Maybe this time there were a few too many, indeed.

I do admit that sometimes the moving around images could be skipped, IF there is no narration going on in them. But it does change the feel of the game a little. For me it would not be a problem but I think L&P is the type of person to do things only his way.

I think L&P either is really bad at optimizing his time, or I don't really want to say lies to his patrons about what it takes and how long but maybe that happens as well.

I am going to give you an example of a few renders that you skipped that should definitely take less time, with the explanation why that is so.
I put them all in a word, so it doesn't take the whole thread page.
While going through the renders step by step to show you the examples in the attached document I want to mention for example you skipped them eating the desert in the hot-tub. That is one render on the refusal path. But it is also included in the normal path. It's something they do before they get to the naughty stuff and from a story point of view can't really be skipped, as that was their plan, to enjoy the desert in the jacuzzi.

After looking through the game again, most of the problem comes down to render time. There are a lot of images in the ones you skipped that are the same scene (explained in the document).
I think L&P should just rent out some rendering power from a render farm. It's not that expensive compared to the income he has, and that should resolve the issue almost completely. Especially since he could start rendering scenes as soon as he completed them, while he prepares the next one.

Question for the people that are active here and now what has been discussed with L&P: Has no one asked him why he doesn't use a render farm for rendering. The time should be cut down by almost all of his render time progression bubble, with that.

Galaktur

Aug 3, 2020
There are render farms. With her monthly income like that, she can afford render farms. And what took 6 years, she could do in a year.

Reactions: ihl86

Galaktur

Aug 3, 2020
I first want to say that I am definitely not judging. It was just expressing my opinion on the matter. Something definitely needs to change, but I think the answer is a bigger team. With enough pressure from his patrons I think that could happen or he abandons the game completely. I don't think anyone will convince him to do less renders than he feels like for events, no matter what we think.

I looked at the renders you chose in the meantime. They all look fine (although to be honest more than I expected were with them at the club table).
To fully realize what is missing I would have to replay the event and compare any missing render to the one that is supposed to replace it (I imagine you would keep all the writing, just use the same renders for more lines of dialogue or narration)
I actually stopped Dylan again and again the first and only time I played this event. Chose the blocking path, curious what Sophia would do, scrolled back and continue with the event. If I were to replay the event I would indeed not chose those options again but they are important if we don't want just a kinetic novel. Maybe this time there were a few too many, indeed.

I do admit that sometimes the moving around images could be skipped, IF there is no narration going on in them. But it does change the feel of the game a little. For me it would not be a problem but I think L&P is the type of person to do things only his way.

I think L&P either is really bad at optimizing his time, or I don't really want to say lies to his patrons about what it takes and how long but maybe that happens as well.

I am going to give you an example of a few renders that you skipped that should definitely take less time, with the explanation why that is so.
While going through the renders step by step to show you the examples in the attached document I want to mention for example you skipped them eating the desert in the hot-tub. That is one render on the refusal path. But it is also included in the normal path. It's something they do before they get to the naughty stuff and from a story point of view can't really be skipped, as that was their plan, to enjoy the desert in the jacuzzi.

After looking through the game again, most of the problem comes down to render time. There are a lot of images in the ones you skipped that are the same scene (explained in the document).
I think L&P should just rent out some rendering power from a render farm. It's not that expensive compared to the income he has, and that should resolve the issue almost completely. Especially since he could start rendering scenes as soon as he completed them, while he prepares the next one.

Question for the people that are active here and now what has been discussed with L&P: Has no one asked him why he doesn't use a render farm for rendering. The time should be cut down by almost all of his render time progression bubble, with that.

file
She has only one problem - to cut down as much money as possible.

Reactions: ihl86 and jenyabest

ihl86

Dec 8, 2019
She has only one problem - to cut down as much money as possible.
I think so as well. But from the pricing I looked, one month of 10 hours per day would be like 1000 dollars. That's not that much. Considering how powerful those computers are I think he could render a whole update in a month, month and a half at most. If we consider he could render at night on his computer as well, in parallel with the render farms...

Would really love to know if anyone asked him about render farms.

misterbaobab

Aug 29, 2017

file
I took your point. Thanks for your detailed feedback and specific proposals. Wish the dev could take those recommendations as well.

Reactions: ihl86

Galaktur

Aug 3, 2020
I think so as well. But from the pricing I looked, one month of 10 hours per day would be like 1000 dollars. That's not that much. Considering how powerful those computers are I think he could render a whole update in a month, month and a half at most. If we consider he could render at night on his computer as well, in parallel with the render farms...

Would really love to know if anyone asked him about render farms.
She won't tell the truth. Or come up with a fantasy story about render farms)))

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
Hello guys, need your opinion!
We all know that the main problem of the game is a huge amount of renders per each event, because of that one update with one event takes about 4 months to produce.
So I decided to make an experiment. I've downloaded CGs from the last 0.190 update, reduced the amount of images from 414 to 160 and uploaded on Mega: Mega
So I need your opinion. Which is better: 414 images that took 4 months to produce, or 160 images which could be possibly rendered only in 1,5 months?
Put (y) if you'd choose 160 images version with only 1,5 months of development!
Put :ROFLMAO: if you prefer 414 images version with 4 months of development!
Put :love: if you want to see even smaller amount of renders to make updates even faster!
The last Ellie event was 140 renders. Don't know how long it took, but it's still one of my favourite events of the game.
100 renders in a week ? Please show us how :KEK:
Just look at Free Pass. The dev of that game (at least up until recently) was regularly putting out updates at the rate of 20 renders per day. Updates were coming out regularly every 3 weeks or so.

ihl86

Dec 8, 2019
L&P wrote that most of the time is spent not on rendering the scene, but on creating the scene.
This is what I would have expected as well. But if that is the case, from the 400+ renders, at least 100 are the same scene different angles, maybe even more. And a lot are almost same scene but very few changes and a different angle as well.
So if L&P spends 2 months creating 200 different scenes, I think there's a problem there. That means 3 scenes created per day...

3.20 star(s) 461 Votes