ihl86

Dec 8, 2019
Render farms ? what for ? for rendering images ? have you even tried it ?

Rendering is not the issue we are not talking about rendering a movie like avatar or something, these are stills and with his setup. It takes literally seconds or a couple of minutes if it is a challenging one ( a lot of reflections or low lighting ).

Daz has no industry standards at all, you can't export scenes and reimport them, you can't share assets, it is a program for amateurs and that's why pros don't use it. Because it is not practical. So technically it is not usable with a render farm unless you copy the entire library of assets on that specific render farm.

And this right here (y) makes it also harder to work as a team, because you would need a cloud storage, so every member of the team can access the assets. And it better be a good cloud. One that can handle multiple sources of truth, and also concurrency ( not cheap )

In my field, we use softwares that are built for sharing files, we can share assets and scenes easily by exporting them with a few clicks ( openusd, alembic ) and this is just not happening with daz.

So no render farms are not for people like him. In order to hire a team, you need a good business plan, and this guy strikes me as someone who has no idea what he is doing.

He just made a game that became popular and now he doesn't know what to do with it. So you should temper your expectations. And to be fair, it is his game, his project, and he does whatever the F he wants with it.

Patreon is a crowdfunding platform not an investor platform, if you like what he does, good, you can support him. You don't, you can see yourself out.
It is clear to me you have never used daz if you think rendering takes seconds. Depending on how the lighting is, reflections, especially at night, rendering can definitely take hours even on good computers. I do not know exactly what rig he uses but unless he has two 4090s it won't be that fast. I have a 2070 rtx super. It is not on par with the best graphics cards but I can tell you I encountered renders that would have taken upwards of four hours if I left them to completion.
As further evidence that rendering takes a long time, you can see how long it takes for the progress bar to fill up once the scene preparation one is ready. It's usually a long time, and L&P himself said that it's the part that take the longest.

Regarding render farms, again, it is clear that you are not that familiar with daz. Yes, it is a very bad software for professionals and makes sharing complicated but, for a render farm you can send only the final data request for rendering, send the information and get back the results. What that farm needs, is to be capable of rendering in Iray. Not that many do that, but you can look for yourself if you want and find there are some that do just that. I have looked into it myself and found a few that are suitable.

It is also not that hard to work with a team. You think he uses new assets for each render? If someone sends you a scene they prepared and you don't have all the assets installed, you will get an error list with the missing assets. You can keep install the assets, try to reload it, and see if any more errors pop up. Within a few hours, at worst case days if it's some insanely big library, you are up to date and in sync. I have done renders for a vn here, and I have updated my library just like that. It didn't take a colossal effort to do so. After you are in sync the first time, it is even easier to keep in sync. Everybody installs the same assets and that's it. Especially for a well paying vn, this isn't a real issue. It's more an excuse.

I do agree with your final statements. He was a guy like anyone else that decided to make a vn. His idea and models caught the attention of people and it exploded faster than he could keep up. Nobody is forced to support him if they don't want to.
On the other side of this, I read that he promised different things on patreon, if he got a certain amount of supporters and he didn't live up to that. That is not ok. If you promise certain things for your support, you should deliver on your promises.

You need funding to work on a game that big, and even if you identified all of the assets, you can't really copy someone else's style, this is just not interesting for a good artist, he better be doing his own game. I ve seen some renders in the fan art, some are good, a lot of them are straight up bad, but to be honest, no one is at L&P's level

If you look at the first renders L&P did, they were also not that good. In fact they were pretty terrible. He just learned from each new render and improved a lot over time. I do agree that I haven't seen anyone (not just in the fan art thread but anywhere on f95) on the same level with his current work. That doesn't mean someone picking up couldn't also improve over time and grow to be very good.

Galaktur

Aug 3, 2020
It is clear to me you have never used daz if you think rendering takes seconds. Depending on how the lighting is, reflections, especially at night, rendering can definitely take hours even on good computers. I do not know exactly what rig he uses but unless he has two 4090s it won't be that fast. I have a 2070 rtx super. It is not on par with the best graphics cards but I can tell you I encountered renders that would have taken upwards of four hours if I left them to completion.
As further evidence that rendering takes a long time, you can see how long it takes for the progress bar to fill up once the scene preparation one is ready. It's usually a long time, and L&P himself said that it's the part that take the longest.

Regarding render farms, again, it is clear that you are not that familiar with daz. Yes, it is a very bad software for professionals and makes sharing complicated but, for a render farm you can send only the final data request for rendering, send the information and get back the results. What that farm needs, is to be capable of rendering in Iray. Not that many do that, but you can look for yourself if you want and find there are some that do just that. I have looked into it myself and found a few that are suitable.

It is also not that hard to work with a team. You think he uses new assets for each render? If someone sends you a scene they prepared and you don't have all the assets installed, you will get an error list with the missing assets. You can keep install the assets, try to reload it, and see if any more errors pop up. Within a few hours, at worst case days if it's some insanely big library, you are up to date and in sync. I have done renders for a vn here, and I have updated my library just like that. It didn't take a colossal effort to do so. After you are in sync the first time, it is even easier to keep in sync. Everybody installs the same assets and that's it. Especially for a well paying vn, this isn't a real issue. It's more an excuse.

I do agree with your final statements. He was a guy like anyone else that decided to make a vn. His idea and models caught the attention of people and it exploded faster than he could keep up. Nobody is forced to support him if they don't want to.
On the other side of this, I read that he promised different things on patreon, if he got a certain amount of supporters and he didn't live up to that. That is not ok. If you promise certain things for your support, you should deliver on your promises.

If you look at the first renders L&P did, they were also not that good. In fact they were pretty terrible. He just learned from each new render and improved a lot over time. I do agree that I haven't seen anyone (not just in the fan art thread but anywhere on f95) on the same level with his current work. That doesn't mean someone picking up couldn't also improve over time and grow to be very good.
The game is created by a GIRL. Not a guy.)))

• Angry
Reactions: karleston

karleston

May 20, 2022

I tried DAZ more than once, i don't really work a lot with it ( not yet ) but i tried every single popular 3d program you can find, now i use cinema 4D and houdini most of the time, i have an RTX4090 on my main machine so yes it takes literally seconds for rendering ( octane ), and i am a 3D artist, this is my main job so i know a thing or two about rendering. So no you can't only send the data you need, unless you gather the files used in a particular scene which is a pain in the butt, take a good look at his renders and see how many props he uses.

And you are clearly underestimating how hard it is to work as a team when the software used is not designed for that specific task (i have a team). if you all work on the same scene, for example one does modeling the other texturing , and a 3rd one for animations , you will end up with 3 different files, unless you work on small pieces and link these pieces up ( it is called linking) into a final scene that you render. Now tell me how can you do that on daz ? the only way to work in daz as a team is to give each member of your team a scene to do on his own. And after that good luck making seamless transitions between scenes made by different people. I am not saying it is impossible, i am saying it is way harder than you think.

There's a huge difference between making 1 or 2 renders a month and doing this on a daily basis.

As for promises, i never make promises, because people break them all the time. If he did break his promises, you have the choice to stop supporting no one is forcing anyone to keep their support.

ihl86

Dec 8, 2019
I tried DAZ more than once, i don't really work a lot with it ( not yet ) but i tried every single popular 3d program you can find, now i use cinema 4D and houdini most of the time, i have an RTX4090 on my main machine so yes it takes literally seconds for rendering ( octane ), and i am a 3D artist, this is my main job so i know a thing or two about rendering. So no you can't only send the data you need, unless you gather the files used in a particular scene which is a pain in the butt, take a good look at his renders and see how many props he uses.

And you are clearly underestimating how hard it is to work as a team when the software used is not designed for that specific task (i have a team). if you all work on the same scene, for example one does modeling the other texturing , and a 3rd one for animations , you will end up with 3 different files, unless you work on small pieces and link these pieces up ( it is called linking) into a final scene that you render. Now tell me how can you do that on daz ? the only way to work in daz as a team is to give each member of your team a scene to do on his own. And after that good luck making seamless transitions between scenes made by different people. I am not saying it is impossible, i am saying it is way harder than you think.

There's a huge difference between making 1 or 2 renders a month and doing this on a daily basis.

As for promises, i never make promises, because people break them all the time. If he did break his promises, you have the choice to stop supporting no one is forcing anyone to keep their support.

Ok, if you have 4090, it might take you less. Octane rendering though is not how L&P does it. It is faster and has good results, but he does iray, which takes longer. It is not as optimized as Octane.

From your description of synchronization I now understand where you are coming from. Daz scenes, are not as complex as you say. L&P doesn't do texturing, and if he does, it's not only for a scene, it's for all the scenes involving that asset. Most assets used in daz are already done by others and just used. The only place where I could se him texturing, maybe, althought I highly doubt it is some important people like Sophia. But that is a once done job and that's it.

I was referring to different people doing different scenes. This is the workflow to be used in daz. You are right that if in the same part of the story, more people work on the scenes, one can get confused but for a whole series of scenes, you can use the same person. In the latest update for example, one could do the club scenes, on the hot-tub scenes.
L&P could keep the final say/touches over all prepared scenes, and just do minor adjustment and tweaks to the pose and expressions of the characters. Once the first scene of a series is done, that is all that is needed in daz. The same assets persist throughout the whole series. And the posing can't really have that different of styles. The expressions can, but that' L&P could keep a final say over especially, since he is so good at it. If you look at the renders closely, there are not so many expressions, a lot of them are repeating, for different body poses.
For animations, again, every scene will have its own animations. There could be one guy for all animations in the game. Once the base scene for the animation is prepared, that guy could make the animation and so on.

I think because you are working on things much more complex than what L&P is doing, think that daz also has that complicated pipeline.

And regarding 1 or 2 renders a month, I did like 500 renders for them. Once the setup was done the workflow just goes seamlessly.

I agree about the promises part and people having the power to support or not. I'm just telling you what I've read on these forums, I have not supported him and would have clearly stopped if he had done that. I am willing to support/buy his final version of the game but this feels like a very long time coming.

3.20 star(s) 466 Votes