Deleted member 5988643

Apr 10, 2023
I wonder what's better. Setting out a date for the next update and then having to say sorry and come up with some lame excuse (everything is lame, because it's the obvious, and has been used over and over, doesn't mean it's not true). Then people complain about paying too much to patreon and such.

Or, have a progress page like (no more money and what a legend), and just slowly show the progress reaching 100%. And then people complaining about the next update will next year or so for ever...

Or having a game like Genesis Order, which releases a new update on the 2th and 15th of the month, and then have people complain about it being too small.

You never can make people happy it seems.

WICKEDp4th

Before Alice went to Wonderland, she had to fall.
Donor
Sep 6, 2017
I wonder what's better. Setting out a date for the next update and then having to say sorry and come up with some lame excuse (everything is lame, because it's the obvious, and has been used over and over, doesn't mean it's not true). Then people complain about paying too much to patreon and such.

Or, have a progress page like (no more money and what a legend), and just slowly show the progress reaching 100%. And then people complaining about the next update will next year or so for ever...

Or having a game like Genesis Order, which releases a new update on the 2th and 15th of the month, and then have people complain about it being too small.

You never can make people happy it seems.
Yes, agreed. It is impossible.

My best advice is be communicative about your progress, do weekly or bi-weekly update-posts on your social media/patreon/subscribestar etc platforms. You don't need to tell your followers what your private issues are, just be open with your project progress ("couldn't do much, real life took most of my time lately"). We're all adults, we do understand, but the least is to inform your crowd and don't take a deep dive into radio-silence...

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Yes, agreed. It is impossible.

My best advice is be communicative about your progress, do weekly or bi-weekly update-posts on your social media/patreon/subscribestar etc platforms. You don't need to tell your followers what your private issues are, just be open with your project progress ("couldn't do much, real life took most of my time lately"). We're all adults, we do understand, but the least is to inform your crowd and don't take a deep dive into radio-silence...
We're all supposed to be adults, but I've seen people on here that are clearly not adults when it comes to this stuff - their physical form my be that of a legal adult, but their mental and emotional age is closer to "toddler" if they aren't getting their way.

If a Dev is making promises and each time the promised deadline comes up there is an excuse (got sick; dog got sick; relative got sick; bad internet while in Spain for 6 weeks, etc., etc., etc...) over a 14 month period when the update was initially promised in about 4 months (gee, does that sound oddly specific? ;)), well, then real adults will get pissy, too, but not over "hey, real life got screwy and I'll be about a month later than I expected". Most people know that most Dev's have day jobs and this is a hobby that can make them some supplemental cash that, hopefully, covers the cost of digital assets, subscriptions, licenses and better hardware.

Deleted member 5988643

Apr 10, 2023
If a Dev is making promises and each time the promised deadline comes up there is an excuse (got sick; dog got sick; relative got sick; bad internet while in Spain for 6 weeks, etc., etc., etc...) over a 14 month period when the update was initially promised in about 4 months (gee, does that sound oddly specific? ;)), well, then real adults will get pissy, too, but not over "hey, real life got screwy and I'll be about a month later than I expected". Most people know that most Dev's have day jobs and this is a hobby that can make them some supplemental cash that, hopefully, covers the cost of digital assets, subscriptions, licenses and better hardware.
That's why I wrote it, is it wise to put an end date, when you are sure to fail. My experience in my work is if developer says 3 months, it's probably at least twice or three times the amount.

So then progress and 1 or 2 progress reports every month, would probably be the best way, like WICKEDp4th wrote. Makes the most people happy. But on the other hand, things like TGO, where you get to play a few minutes every 2 weeks isn't bad either.

WICKEDp4th

Before Alice went to Wonderland, she had to fall.
Donor
Sep 6, 2017
We're all supposed to be adults, but I've seen people on here that are clearly not adults when it comes to this stuff - their physical form my be that of a legal adult, but their mental and emotional age is closer to "toddler" if they aren't getting their way.

Agreed, some people behave like toddlers.

I know delays can be bothersome, but getting pissed about missed deadlines do me anything good? No. Will it help me getting the update earlier? No.
OFC best would be to not set any dates publicly, just announce them, when you're 100% certain, that you've done everything what has to be done with the next release. Dates wake expectations and dissapointments when they fail. Many devs learn this the hard way.

I just would pull my financial support out of the project until the support is righteous again.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020
Agreed, some people behave like toddlers.

I know delays can be bothersome, but getting pissed about missed deadlines do me anything good? No. Will it help me getting the update earlier? No.
OFC best would be to not set any dates publicly, just announce them, when you're 100% certain, that you've done everything what has to be done with the next release. Dates wake expectations and dissapointments when they fail. Many devs learn this the hard way.

I just would pull my financial support out of the project until the support is righteous again.
It's really just about communication, I get it that shit happens and release dates can get pushed, but radio silence until someone complains is not the way to go about it.

There is no way this dude didn't know he wouldn't be able to make the end of May deadline. The problem is he waited until someone asks about update on Patreon to say anything. If this dude woulda just said "hey guys it's taking longer than expected." I would probably still be giving him money.

I've supported 395 games for like 3+ years because the dude is honest and communicative. I don't know why these devs can't just keep it real and be honest with the people supporting them.

Reactions: WICKEDp4th

Hellster

Engaged Member
May 18, 2019
And some devs don't learn even after doing it multiple times, they'd rather just ignore the problem and hope it goes away.

superwulfram

Mar 19, 2018

Dev Update #25

Hello There!

Due to some technical difficulties, I'm going to delay the release for a bit, I'm almost done with everything, but testing.

I'll release the update as soon as it's done. it won't take more than 10 days.
I'm very sorry for the delay, and I'm hoping for your understanding.

Thank you everyone for your continuous support!
Mundo
Here is hoping this will be done by Tomorrow according to Dev's timeline

• Haha
Reactions: Piat and filochard

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Ahhh damnnn sorry i just checked myself and the last time i played the game was back in Jan so i got confused..i dont even remember who Lily is tbf but anyway thanks for the heads up mate..
I had the same impression (sister killed off) the first time someone posted that right after the last update came out, but it became clear soon after getting into the update that I had just misremembered the name.

Last edited:
4.30 star(s) 206 Votes