VN Ren'Py Completed Accidental Assignment [v1.0] [Cainito Studio]

3.80 star(s) 17 Votes

hkennereth

Mar 3, 2019
Really great game so far, my congratulations to the team. The characters are well written with distinct and tridimensional personalities, the scenario is plausible, the office talk is realistic enough for me to be sure someone in the team actually has experience with marketing/design companies.

The only thing about this last detail that slightly bugs me in the most nitpicky way is that the "web developer" constantly has a screenshot of the 3D software Modo on her screen. I'd recognize that interface anywhere, and I see no reason a web dev would be using that all the time instead of a code editor. Slap some VS Code or a Mac terminal screenshot there, you'll be much better off, it will really help the immersion.

Looking forward to see where this will lead. Cheers!

... and now I read the last update posted here (I posted this from the first page) :(

Reactions: PxGames

Tkoyama

Feb 25, 2020
I really loved the game.

I understand the devs side. I really do, but I also think that increasing the release time (and since it will probably be a small update) is not a good option at all, because 01: The game will be off the radar for a long time, which will be bad to raise funds. 02 - You will be questioning how long it took for a little thing in the end.

There may be several factors that may be contributing to having few people so far. I don't know: Where the person lives may be in economic difficulties and the exchange rate is very high at the moment? The person must already be helping a considerable amount of developers? It could be several factors.

If it's going to take a while, try creating a big update and in the meantime, see what you can improve to attract more people, without leaving what the game was designed for.

In my opinion, I think you guys are on the right track.

Last edited:

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
Sad to hear that this game will be kinda rushed now. I really liked the game start with the promising story possibilities. Still a big thanks for at least finishing it, other devs would just stop/abandone the developement.

I feel a bit "guilty" now, I really wanted to support the game after v0.2 - unfortunately I did not (as all the others here). So I can understand the frustration from the devs and their switch to "plan B". Gaining not even one new supporter after 0.2 is still suprising me. The game is actually well made, has a good story and top graphics.

So what went wrong? For me: nothing with the game itself. Well, it's easy to say when getting the game for free here, but since it's a kinda "slow burn", at least for most of the main girls, it would have needed imo more time. These type of story focused games are starting slow with supporters, but then can get loyal fans.

What could have been done maybe better is to "build" this fan base. Looking to other similar games getting successfull over time the devs there put a lot of effort into communication/interact with the players. Putting teasers now and then would also got the game more known. Here the thread feels kinda lost after a game release, not much "action" to keep the game in mind in between.

Nevertheless, I wish the developers all the best for the future and good luck.

• Red Heart

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
well it started interestingly but with 2 updates left there won't be much sexcontent.

AngelsAfterDark

Formerly 'DetroitAfterDark'
Jun 11, 2021

Development update (AA)
Greetings,
This is the creative behind AA - here to give a small update regarding the development of the game.
Sadly, the game has been heavily under-performing on the financial front.
---
Before we go any further, we wish to clarify two important things.
1. NO, we're not cancelling the project.
It is still being developed as you read this post. (As we had mentioned in some forums, we did take into factor the possibility of the game being a failure - So, we will be giving the game a proper conclusion in the next two updates.)
2. We do not blame anyone for this failure.
Good or bad, whatever happens to this game is entirely our own responsibility as its developers. We're not so up in our own asses, that we expect that the world to owe us something, just for making an erotic game :D
---
Now, some may think - "Of course it isn't financially stable yet, it's just been two updates."
But when you work on an update for nearly 40 days and end up getting 0 new patrons, it can take quite a toll on your morale.
So, considering our financial situations, we have decided to slow down the production of AA (i.e. the remaining two updates will no longer be released on a monthly schedule)
To those who have supported this game so far, we sincerely apologize for not being able to deliver the "big game" we promised.
We wish there was a better way to make it up to you, but all we can do for now is - focus on giving Accidental Assignment a proper conclusion.
---
Thank you for reading through all that. We'll get back to you as soon as we can with some preview images for AA 0.3.
I can't blame em for wanting to pull the plug but this is also an example of why not everyone who has the ability to be a dev should be a dev. It takes more than just skill. It takes patience, tolerance, money and alot more. This dev has the skill but clearly lack everything else and that's why the game wasn't successful.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
pregnancy?
w/o massive timejumps on last 2 updates no. it'd mean that mc fucks 1 or more girls in next update and on last she or them are preggo and will/might pop out kid or multiple and that wouldn't make sense at all.

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Greetings,

This is the writer of Accidental Assignment. Here to give an update on the status of the game.

While there has been some progress, the overall development has been extremely slow.

JPace, the artist and founder of the studio, is in a situation where he has to prioritize taking care of his family's needs and personal life first.

So, for all purposes, the game is currently on-hold.

(JPace informed me that he had also paused the patreon billing way back - so that our supporters won't be charged until he is fully active again.)

As things are now, the production won't resume for another month or two. And if things go even further south, the project might even end up being dropped.

I'm sincerely sorry for delivering such a news. But I do it only because - I believe in keeping things transparent with our audience.

What I CAN guarantee though is - IF the project ever ends up being dropped, I will publicly share the detailed script layout of the remaining two updates (and the already completed script of 0.3). That way our audience will at least know how the ending would have been.

But hopefully, things won't come to that. And we'll be able to deliver the proper conclusion to the series.

Take care & Stay Safe.

---

PS: Here's a quick preview from 0.3 for anyone who is missing our characters.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
I can't blame em for wanting to pull the plug but this is also an example of why not everyone who has the ability to be a dev should be a dev. It takes more than just skill. It takes patience, tolerance, money and alot more. This dev has the skill but clearly lack everything else and that's why the game wasn't successful.
I fully understand why ending the game so early comes off like "we don't have any patience to let it grow". But it has more to do with our lack of financial stability, than a lack of "patience" or "tolerance".

What I'm about to say next is not necessarily directed towards you. But is rather an attempt at explaining the broader picture for anyone who's thinking we jumped the gun.

---

Here is a list of games I worked on in the past two and a half years (after quitting my day job - to pursue writing VNs as a full-time work)

1. Corrupted Island Remake - A large-scale sandbox game I was meant to take over the writing for (starting from 0.2).

However, after around two months of script development and a single update release, the original dev / artist went awol - throwing all my work to dust.

---

2. Under the moonlight (First Attempt) - After around a month of pre-production, the artist ghosts me - leaving the project dead before it could even start.

---

3. Under the moonlight (Second Attempt) - Over three months of production on a short game to "get our name out there".

Completed the game successfully, but it doesn't garner much of an audience. So, the artist and I had to go our separate ways to try our luck with other partners.

---

4. Before You Go - Once again, over two months of production on a short game to "get our name out there". This time, it does fairly well - enough to kickstart a bigger project together.

---

5. The Best Days of Our Lives - The biggest project I had ever undertaken, with over seven months of production and a detailed ground work (with a complete story layout) for the next 3 years of development.

The game slowly builds a good number of audience over time.

And then - after we're five full updates into the game - the artist suddenly says he is not "feeling" my writing style any more and wants to change everything - thus, leading to my departure from the project.

---

6. Game of Life - Teaming up again with UTM's artist on a larger project. After one month of pre-production and long-term planning (along with a completed 0.1 script), the artist had to stop working due to serious illness. Project never took off.

---

7. Accidental Assignment - Over three months of hard work and planning, leading to a poor financial opening. Thus making it extremely difficult for the artist (and me) to boldly invest further time into the project.

---

So, while it may seem to you that we're quitting after just two months of effort, there was definitely a lot of (fruitless) patience and hard work that preceded it.

In a way, the poor opening of this game was just the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

---

And despite all that, and barely scraping by for my daily bread, I'm still patient enough to not quit the industry yet.

8. One Night Stand - For the third time, I'm currently working on a short project, just so the artist and I can "get our name out there".

9. Caught in the middle - A passion project I'm currently doing all by myself, because I'm bloody tired of being let down every time - by random circumstances out of my control.

---

And I'm pretty sure JPace's journey will sound just as exhausting as mine (if not, even worse.)

So, I can GUARANTEE our audience that - our decision to end the game early was not made out of mere impatience, but due to a loss of morale after a long struggle in the visual novel scene.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017
The AVN market has never been more competitive, there are just too many good VNs out there. For any new VN to be profitable, it has to offer something special, something unique, and has to be a cut above the rest. The writing has to be competent, the narrative has to be compelling, the characters must have depth & individuality and must look pleasing to the eye, and the render quality must be exemplary.

Many Adult games get updated daily, so for any new VN (that is not excellent in quality) to break through the sheer number and gain relevancy, is tough. It's also an arduous battle for niche adult games to be popular, because they also share the market with numerous adult games catering to popular and high demand fetishes. Alternatively, it could be said that it's easier for VNs with popular fetishes to gain relevance. Catering to the masses and such.

With every new adult game gaining popularity, it becomes that much harder for newer games to garner adequate support. It also doesn't help that the pandemic and subsequent economic decline has left many people with less money to spare.

I'm not saying this isn't a good VN, or that its quality is sub-par, I find it to be the opposite in-fact. But, I'm just one person, I don't decide other factors. Maybe it they had included some popular fetishes or added more "tags" to the VN, it would help more people to easily find this VN, among the countless regularly updated adult games. Maybe if the render quality was top-notch, or the preview images and overview were more appealing, it could have helped with leaving a lasting impression. Maybe smaller but more regular updates could have helped. It's difficult to say, these are just my thoughts on what could have helped this VN gaining support. But it's likely a mix of the market factors and the lack of proper marketing.

I guess some things just aren't meant to be. I like this VN, it has a fresh narrative, unique models, and decent writing. And as such, am regretful to see it go. It's sad that this couldn't gain enough support, but I applaud the devs for planning to give us a conclusion, at the very least. Wish the developers of this VN - the best of luck, good tidings, and fortune in their future endeavours! :)(y)

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
The AVN market has never been more competitive, there are just too many good VNs out there. For any new VN to be profitable, it has to offer something special, something unique, and has to be a cut above the rest. The writing has to be competent, the narrative has to be compelling, the characters must have depth & individuality and must look pleasing to the eye, and the render quality must be exemplary.
that's very true and when dev makes new game after prev. was finished supporters stay on that not jumping to other dev.

basically there should be million supporters divided to devs so each would get funding needed.

many good avns (atleast visually) but unless plays those most of day 7 days a week then can't reach bottom of barrel.

sdawg1234

Dec 1, 2019
Just saw the news and it's disappointing. Sounds like it was doomed from the start if the beginning of it was the straw that broke the camel's back. To the writer I hope you land somewhere in this business/hobby. Not sure if you could handle everything on your own and still survive financially because of setbacks caused by unreliable people, but I'm rooting for you. Best Days was a good game until it all fell apart and the original guy quit so probably wasn't you.

Reactions: CV3

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
9. Caught in the middle - A passion project I'm currently doing all by myself, because I'm bloody tired of being let down every time - by random circumstances out of my control.
:WeSmart: That is the way to do it. I could never leave myself to the mercy of artists who are known to be notoriously flaky when it comes to deadlines and working in a team. I've seen your situation happen to other writers on F95. It is best to just learn Daz so no artist can ever ghost you again. At the very least, you'll have acquired a new marketable skill. I try to work on Daz a little each day and I can definitely see steady improvement in my competency. Anyway, sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hopefully things turn around for you soon.

KoGa3

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Aug 14, 2018
News from Patreon:

Greetings,
As promised, we've been slowly working on the final two updates of Accidental Assignment.
Since we weren't working on a fixed schedule, we decided to wait (until enough progress has been made) to share about the potential release of 0.3.
We're finally at a place where we are confident enough to do the same. As of this post, only the final scene/act of 0.3 is left to be rendered.
So, the next time you hear from us, it will probably be with the completed 0.3 update :)
Here are some early previews for anyone interested.

BaasB

Post Pro
Uploader
Respected User
Donor
Aug 5, 2018

Greetings,
We're happy to announce that all the production work for AA's 0.3 update is now complete. You can download the game with the links in the attachment.
In this update, in addition to the new content, we also included corrections to the issue of MC's unusually low height in the first release.
Because the writer's new job is quite busy, he will not be able to represent us to respond to your feedback here and on the forum as usual, we hope you understand the lack of information in the past as well as in the future.
We will also continue to stop charging the monthly Patreon fee until the game is completed. This is a little bit of gratitude we want to thank you for your support.
And finally, we hope you enjoy this update.

PC:

MAC:

3.80 star(s) 17 Votes