VN Ren'Py Abandoned Adventures at Magic Academy [Release 5.1] [Super Simian]

4.30 star(s) 3 Votes

Canade

Sep 26, 2018
I loved this one, it had massive amounts of potential and the story with the way magic was handled was fun.

I see a lot of games get abandoned for various reasons but when when of the good ones dies it's always a shame.
A shame, but expected. The developer had practically no support, and still was passionate enough about his own game to put out five updates.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
The support thing is something i've ranted about so many times.

The first game a dev puts out has a chance of making no money at all. If money is the aim, they are getting in the wrong business.

It's taken some devs 3 or 4 games before they started making any money back and most will never make more than 1k a month.

It's very rare you will make a living doing this. At most it will be extra income on top of a full time job.

It's same with a lot of artistic or creative careers. Stand up comics and musicians spend years playing in open mic clubs and shitty dive bars before they get noticed and most will never get noticed. For every famous comedian you see there are likely 20 more in an open mic bar that will never get a shot at a big stage.

I use that for comparison.

If developing a game is something someone is passionate abut and wants to pursue then they need to be able to financially support themselves first because there is a very, very high chance they won't make any money doing this.

Most of the big name devs you all know on here have full time jobs too despite earning quite a lot of money doing this. That's because this is a fickle industry and making money may not last.

Long story short, I wish devs would stop doing this for money and understand it may not work out that way.

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017

The first game a dev puts out has a chance of making no money at all. If money is the aim, they are getting in the wrong business.

It's taken some devs 3 or 4 games before they started making any money back and most will never make more than 1k a month.

It's very rare you will make a living doing this. At most it will be extra income on top of a full time job.

It's same with a lot of artistic or creative careers. Stand up comics and musicians spend years playing in open mic clubs and shitty dive bars before they get noticed and most will never get noticed. For every famous comedian you see there are likely 20 more in an open mic bar that will never get a shot at a big stage.

If developing a game is something someone is passionate abut and wants to pursue then they need to be able to financially support themselves first because there is a very, very high chance they won't make any money doing this.

Most of the big name devs you all know on here have full time jobs too despite earning quite a lot of money doing this. That's because this is a fickle industry and making money may not last.

Long story short, I wish devs would stop doing this for money and understand it may not work out that way.
and then you see games that don't deserve anything getting like 50k a month (i don't wanna say names so I'll just give a hint: its last update was in 19hours ago) for basically an update every 2 years...

Reactions: sonhot and Aelth

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
and then you see games that don't deserve anything getting like 50k a month (i don't wanna say names so I'll just give a hint: its last update was in 19hours ago) for basically an update every 2 years...
I have seen some utter garbage games get support that really shouldnt.

With all the Big Brother clones being getting shat out by "devs" that can't think of anything themselves that need to bring in players based on someone else's work. I don't think any Big Brother clone deserves any money, even worse are those that flat out rip BB's characters and use the title for clout.

Aside from those there are a lot of terrible games that get support but it seems if you add in a few kinks some people like the quality does not matter at all.

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
I have seen some utter garbage games get support that really shouldnt.

With all the Big Brother clones being getting shat out by "devs" that can't think of anything themselves that need to bring in players based on someone else's work. I don't think any Big Brother clone deserves any money, even worse are those that flat out rip BB's characters and use the title for clout.

Aside from those there are a lot of terrible games that get support but it seems if you add in a few kinks some people like the quality does not matter at all.
oh yeah, i can't agree more, some games are garbage fires and gets money for basically 5 minutes of content every year...

Canade

Sep 26, 2018

True

Look-see

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2018
"Super Simian

Proper farewell

I've been gone a while. Around Christmas, I was in an accident and, to cut a short story even shorter, I no longer have an arm past my left elbow. AaMA was something I was looking forward to developing, even, or rather especially, with how busy I ended up being after uni. But after my situation, I've lost all motivation. To do anything. So this is goodbye. I'll be leaving you with a parting gift. It's all the character cards for AaMA. You can do with them as you please. Create your own game, if you want. Or just carry on where I left off. I'd give you the scene cards as well but they're an absolute mess and you'd have to download a crap ton of mods to load them properly. Not that you don't need a crap ton of mods to load the character cards, cos you do. If you need help finding the mods, the Unofficial Illusionsoft Discord can help you. The cards are smart cards so the mods used should show up in HSResolver. Grab these while you can since I intend to delete this patreon page after a while."

last post on patreon

Choc0keki

Jul 7, 2017
Hot damn, that's a bummer. The cancellation is unfortunate but yikes at the arm thing, best regards to Simian :(

Obsidion69

Jun 16, 2018
"Super Simian

Proper farewell

I've been gone a while. Around Christmas, I was in an accident and, to cut a short story even shorter, I no longer have an arm past my left elbow. AaMA was something I was looking forward to developing, even, or rather especially, with how busy I ended up being after uni. But after my situation, I've lost all motivation. To do anything. So this is goodbye. I'll be leaving you with a parting gift. It's all the character cards for AaMA. You can do with them as you please. Create your own game, if you want. Or just carry on where I left off. I'd give you the scene cards as well but they're an absolute mess and you'd have to download a crap ton of mods to load them properly. Not that you don't need a crap ton of mods to load the character cards, cos you do. If you need help finding the mods, the Unofficial Illusionsoft Discord can help you. The cards are smart cards so the mods used should show up in HSResolver. Grab these while you can since I intend to delete this patreon page after a while."

last post on patreon
That is easily the best reason I've ever heard for an indie dev to abandon a project.

Zr0Potential

Feb 9, 2018
Hey guys, I know I'm late to the party and I would be sad after finishing this since it's abandoned but should I go for the ride?

PS. Can anyone pass me the 5.1 Patch? The link is dead :(

Reactions: Lucky_Mouse
4.30 star(s) 3 Votes