sergesan

Aug 3, 2018
if you ever write it as a normal vn without sandboxelements, i´m on board...it looks interesting but grinding isn´t my cup of tea...wish u all the best...

Reactions: Classy Lemon

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Was gonna jump back in after playing the an early version way back then, but I see that the game is almost completed. I'll just wait for that.

Regarding the post on the previous page, don't sell yourself short dev. I found the art direction to be refreshing. There is always a risk when deviating from the standard shit that people are used to, but it can be a boon if you achieve the right balance. It needs to stay consistent between characters (I've seen stylized women + default DAZ male). It needs to be consistent with itself (I've seen games with overly stylized heads on a standard DAZ body and it looks weird). Whatever style is used, it should be pleasing to look at in a broad sense. That last one is obvious prone to bias, especially since so many people here are so rigid when it comes to their waifu, but I think any style can look great unless the dev is intentionally creating some monstrosities. For what it's worth, I think you succeeded in creating a unique style that followed all those 3 points well enough.

You mentioned that the story focused too much on MC and his plot and not enough on the girls, but there is also the opposite pitfall. Many devs just dish out a series of dates/sex/talks with the girls with no real purpose. Some don't even have a main plot. I mean, pure dating/life sims in a contemporary setting are fine like that, but I've seen many devs set up a great main plot and an expansive world, just to ignore everything and have the MC mess around with the girls. This is a medieval fantasy, and the focus on MC's journey was among the strong points of the game. To be frank, in the early version I played, I felt like dialogue writing was one of the weaker aspects while the actual plot delivery and world building was your strength. Perhaps you've become a more well rounded writer since then. Anyways, I certainly don't think a plot focused narrative is an "issue." Although you might be right that it isn't exactly conductive to rapid patreon growth. Masses seem to greatly prefer character focused narratives. Balance is the key in the end, since the characters and plot work synergistically.

Perhaps the biggest flaw in the game design was indeed the sandbox. It's not impossible to create a good sandbox game, but it's A LOT more work to do so. In most cases, you end up with something absolutely superfluous and time wasting. Sandbox should offer 2 things. A sense of adventure/exploration and a world that feels alive. This is extremely hard to achieve for a small time hobbyist. What we usually get is an empty world with nothing really happening outside of the predetermined locations at each junction in the progression. Some are actually just linear stories in disguise. Some are frustrating grindfests where you repeat the same actions and dialogues dozens of times to advance a girl by one tick. Most result in rather serious bubbles where girls are segregated in their own little quest chain and progression and rarely interact with each other or the world. Not sure how the sandbox in this game turned out, but it was pretty much linear when we only had the first girl. If I had to guess before playing the recent updates, each girl has their independent plot progression and the sandbox is kinda there to just pick which girl you wanna advance?

Again though, there are a good handful of sandboxes that do a nice job and stays engaging. These games actually have a cohesive purpose for the gameplay and plot. Life sims, adventure, RPGs, combat systems, management, survival, etc. If you are just clicking places to go to find the next place to advance a girl's path, I think the sandbox aspect just ruins the pacing for no real benefit.

Finally, I think the girls leaving after their arc is finished ties into the sandbox issue. It's too much work to create a truly alive sandbox, so you had to segregate the girls into self contained arcs. It's not nearly as hard to let the girls interact with each other and the world in a VN.

It basically just boils down to cost-benefit analysis. Sandbox takes more effort to pull off. A lot of people hate sandbox without exceptions. Others only hate half assed sandbox that doesn't achieve anything and just wastes time. Some can tolerate it and don't feel strongly either way. Few people LOVE it without exception.

VNs should generally be easier to manage for a dev. Few people hate VNs for being a "clicking simulator." Vast majority can at least tolerate it. A good portion really prefers VNs over sandbox.

Damn, I wrote way too much shit. Sorry. Sometimes I get carried away. Basically, I'm just saying hang in there. I will look forward to playing the complete version of this game and your next project.

Classy Lemon

Game Developer
Jun 4, 2021
Was gonna jump back in after playing the an early version way back then, but I see that the game is almost completed. I'll just wait for that.

Regarding the post on the previous page, don't sell yourself short dev. I found the art direction to be refreshing. There is always a risk when deviating from the standard shit that people are used to, but it can be a boon if you achieve the right balance. It needs to stay consistent between characters (I've seen stylized women + default DAZ male). It needs to be consistent with itself (I've seen games with overly stylized heads on a standard DAZ body and it looks weird). Whatever style is used, it should be pleasing to look at in a broad sense. That last one is obvious prone to bias, especially since so many people here are so rigid when it comes to their waifu, but I think any style can look great unless the dev is intentionally creating some monstrosities. For what it's worth, I think you succeeded in creating a unique style that followed all those 3 points well enough.

You mentioned that the story focused too much on MC and his plot and not enough on the girls, but there is also the opposite pitfall. Many devs just dish out a series of dates/sex/talks with the girls with no real purpose. Some don't even have a main plot. I mean, pure dating/life sims in a contemporary setting are fine like that, but I've seen many devs set up a great main plot and an expansive world, just to ignore everything and have the MC mess around with the girls. This is a medieval fantasy, and the focus on MC's journey was among the strong points of the game. To be frank, in the early version I played, I felt like dialogue writing was one of the weaker aspects while the actual plot delivery and world building was your strength. Perhaps you've become a more well rounded writer since then. Anyways, I certainly don't think a plot focused narrative is an "issue." Although you might be right that it isn't exactly conductive to rapid patreon growth. Masses seem to greatly prefer character focused narratives. Balance is the key in the end, since the characters and plot work synergistically.

Perhaps the biggest flaw in the game design was indeed the sandbox. It's not impossible to create a good sandbox game, but it's A LOT more work to do so. In most cases, you end up with something absolutely superfluous and time wasting. Sandbox should offer 2 things. A sense of adventure/exploration and a world that feels alive. This is extremely hard to achieve for a small time hobbyist. What we usually get is an empty world with nothing really happening outside of the predetermined locations at each junction in the progression. Some are actually just linear stories in disguise. Some are frustrating grindfests where you repeat the same actions and dialogues dozens of times to advance a girl by one tick. Most result in rather serious bubbles where girls are segregated in their own little quest chain and progression and rarely interact with each other or the world. Not sure how the sandbox in this game turned out, but it was pretty much linear when we only had the first girl. If I had to guess before playing the recent updates, each girl has their independent plot progression and the sandbox is kinda there to just pick which girl you wanna advance?

Again though, there are a good handful of sandboxes that do a nice job and stays engaging. These games actually have a cohesive purpose for the gameplay and plot. Life sims, adventure, RPGs, combat systems, management, survival, etc. If you are just clicking places to go to find the next place to advance a girl's path, I think the sandbox aspect just ruins the pacing for no real benefit.

Finally, I think the girls leaving after their arc is finished ties into the sandbox issue. It's too much work to create a truly alive sandbox, so you had to segregate the girls into self contained arcs. It's not nearly as hard to let the girls interact with each other and the world in a VN.

It basically just boils down to cost-benefit analysis. Sandbox takes more effort to pull off. A lot of people hate sandbox without exceptions. Others only hate half assed sandbox that doesn't achieve anything and just wastes time. Some can tolerate it and don't feel strongly either way. Few people LOVE it without exception.

VNs should generally be easier to manage for a dev. Few people hate VNs for being a "clicking simulator." Vast majority can at least tolerate it. A good portion really prefers VNs over sandbox.

Damn, I wrote way too much shit. Sorry. Sometimes I get carried away. Basically, I'm just saying hang in there. I will look forward to playing the complete version of this game and your next project.
Don't be sorry. Thanks for your wall of text, glad to have your support :giggle:

Kiaterra117

Jan 16, 2018
Hi guys, I decide to create a walkthrough mod for this one. This mod will help you to be able to reach the best outcome for each storyline. This is an interesting game and I hope that Classy Lemon approve me to share this mod. This mod should be compatible with gallery ones. Due to being a newbie and lack of experience, this mod may have some problems and if you find some bugs, please do not hesitate to contact me or reply to this post. Thanks!!
P/s: I'll update as soon as possible.
View attachment 1647424 View attachment 1647432 View attachment 1647435
now we wait take your time

LaikDink

Modder
Mar 16, 2018
Hi guys, I decide to create a walkthrough mod for this one. This mod will help you to be able to reach the best outcome for each storyline. This is an interesting game and I hope that Classy Lemon approve me to share this mod. This mod should be compatible with gallery ones. Due to being a newbie and lack of experience, this mod may have some problems and if you find some bugs, please do not hesitate to contact me or reply to this post. Thanks!!
P/s: Updated to v0.6
View attachment 1647424 View attachment 1647432 View attachment 1647435
Updated to v0.6.

SpecterX

Apr 29, 2020
if you ever write it as a normal vn without sandboxelements, i´m on board...it looks interesting but grinding isn´t my cup of tea...wish u all the best...
I don't know if you ever play the game but there is no grind there.
The sandbox is just about switching locations and talking to people and it's not even that complex since the game helps you.
The choices in the game could not be more obvious :KEK:

Gorse

GFX Designer
Aug 16, 2020
Was about to reply to you just when SpecterX has replied faster :sneaky:...

Indeed there's NO GRIND at all!
The whole story is very linear, the implemented sandbox elements in the game aren't for free roaming nor any complex quests -
so this one IS almost a VN with some interactive point'n'click elements.
You should try this one, really! :cool:

KKpotato

Cultured Pervert
Compressor
Game Developer
Nov 16, 2021
Here is a compressed version of After the Inferno [v0.6] [Classy Lemon]
PC - (539 MB)
MAC- (505 MB)
Warning: Compressed versions have lesser quality than the original.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020

Don't be sorry. Thanks for your wall of text, glad to have your support :giggle:
This one's a little smaller....
WallOfText.png

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Beyxx

May 5, 2018
Hi dev! I currently playing your game and most definitely enjoying it.
The art style might be not the prettiest but it's a breath of a fresh air to say, but the girls doesn't look like a straight copypasta from every others VN I've played and i liked that.

The theme setting and the dialogue is what got me the most. Kinda fed up by all these school-setting so when i see this having medieval background its pique my interest instantly.
The dialogue is pretty, love the interaction by MC with other characters, and some nice comedy here and there.
The mc portrayal is befitting his mercenaries leader title.
My only problem is how little development/interaction between NPC.

Overall good job on making an enjoyable 'different game' best of luck for you!

homarkc

Nov 12, 2018
Does anyone know how to unlock this memory?
Memory.jpg
BTW, I use the gallery unlocker, and it shows that the missing memory is:
15.jpg
However, the same scene already appeared in the playthrough of Cressa's final event (without the text):
same.jpg
Is it normal that a play scene also appears a memory?

Last edited:

Classy Lemon

Game Developer
Jun 4, 2021
Does anyone know how to unlock this memory?
View attachment 1707467
BTW, I use the gallery unlocker, and it shows that the missing memory is:
View attachment 1707520
However, the same scene already appeared in the playthrough of Cressa's final event (without the text):
View attachment 1707522
Is it normal that a play scene also appears a memory?
It's from her bad ending, they're remembering an earlier part of the story. This is the only case of it in the game.

The part without text you're referring to I suspect is from the small montage that's at the end of every girl's storyline.

Aug 28, 2018
Ok can anyone spoil it for me? What point in the story should you expect futa content? My patience is that of a 2 year old and I havent yet even finished the first half of the story. Would be nice to know,

thanks

Zephea

Engaged Member
Sep 7, 2019
Ok can anyone spoil it for me? What point in the story should you expect futa content? My patience is that of a 2 year old and I havent yet even finished the first half of the story. Would be nice to know,

thanks
I think there are only 1 or 2 scenes with (optional) futa - later into the game with the Alchemists (I think...). Great game besides that, though!! (y)

Reactions: TravisTheLightBoss

Nightsky3

Dec 9, 2021
Please help me when I re-install the new version with only the back-up save file folder. All of galleries, scenes and codex are gone that have to re-collect again. Thus, which files that I should back up for galleries, scenes and codex?

4.50 star(s) 128 Votes