3.40 star(s) 57 Votes

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Producers should stop short circuting the writing thinking anyone can do it and actually hire people who know how to write.
Why should devs hire people? This is something that most devs start as a hobby simply because they think it's fun. If that's what the dev wishes then sure, but if it isn't the case like in most cases then why go full business and hire people just because he isn't perfect at something? Just take the product as it is or don't take it.

Besides there is no thing as "people who know how to write". Even for professional who make a living just from that, what is great for me could boring as fuck for you and viceversa.

thevampirate

Feb 15, 2019
Did the update Patch break the Incest patch? also Devs should either allow for you to change relationships in options or make their own incest patches and put them on lewd patcher or whatever. LANDLADY games are kind of overly stupid even if its there to make patreon happy

Xanado

May 9, 2018
Did the update Patch break the Incest patch? also Devs should either allow for you to change relationships in options or make their own incest patches and put them on lewd patcher or whatever. LANDLADY games are kind of overly stupid even if its there to make patreon happy
How is it broken? The only changes to the original character.csv file was the introduction of a new variable in version 0.2.2 (Carmen). As far as I know the edited character.csv should look something like this now. You can open your character.csv with notepad and check/edit it yourself. Also the dev has mentioned that you will be able to choose relationships yourself in the game at some point making the patch obsolete.

Code:
"Key","eng","fr","rus"

"[Vera]","Vera","",""
"[tenant]","son","",""
"[Josie]","Josie","",""
"[ma'am]","mom","",""
"[Ma'am]","Mom","",""
"[ma’am]","mom","",""
"[Ma’am]","Mom","",""
"[landlady]","mom","",""
"[Landlady]","Mom","",""
"[Ryan]","Ryan","",""
"[little tenant]","little son","",""
"[Larry]","Larry","",""
"[Jeremy]","Jeremy","",""
"[Keith]","Keith",""
"[Carmen]","Carmen",""
In case someone wants an updated character.csv (IC Patch) with the "Carmen" variable added.

Install instructions:
Run the game once, letting it create some files/folders. Close the game. Download and extract the file. Paste the "character.csv" in the "Afterglow v0.2.3a winx86_64\Afterglow_Data\Localisation" folder. When asked if to overwrite choose "yes". Run the game.

Ps. If you want to revert the patch just delete it. The game will produce a new "clean" file if a "character.csv" isn't present in the "localisation" folder at startup.

Last edited:

BorsDeGanis

Jan 30, 2020
Why should devs hire people? This is something that most devs start as a hobby simply because they think it's fun. If that's what the dev wishes then sure, but if it isn't the case like in most cases then why go full business and hire people just because he isn't perfect at something? Just take the product as it is or don't take it.
Why would devs hire people if it's a hobby?

... I have hobbies as well. They don't require you to ask for money :ROFLMAO:

Besides there is no thing as "people who know how to write". Even for professional who make a living just from that, what is great for me could boring as fuck for you and viceversa.
What an incredibly wrong thing to say.

I guess no one knows how to paint because some people don't like the mona lisa. Or no one knows how to cook because most people have varying tastes. I guess there is no one who knows how to make music because not everyone likes a particular type of music.

Like how do words like this leave your mouth without any sort of contemplation? You could say the same thing about literally ALL art in the world. Just because there isn't one way that everyone enjoys doesn't mean there aren't people who know how to create in a certain medium.

See, this comment is exactly how writers get shafted pay in the industry. You are doing the same thing producers do. You see it as somehow 'different' as an artistic medium even though literally all artistic endeavors deal with taste, and you legitimize the culture that underpays and under employs struggling writers who need a job.

Last edited:

DigitalFire

Aug 20, 2017
This game was on my list for a while now and I just tried it, I liked the art better than I thought I would going by the previews. Even without animations which is a big deal for me, I liked the game. But I wonder if adding animations is on the table for upcoming scenes. In some scenes the resolution seems off and it becomes noticeably worse quality than the usual but I don't know why.

Reactions: Smithe

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Why would devs hire people if it's a hobby?

... I have hobbies as well. They don't require you to ask for money :ROFLMAO:
Yes but thing is, I'm sure you'd love it if people gives you money for doing your hobby. I'm pretty sure you would set a Patreon account so people can give you money to do what you want. The only reason why you didn't make a Patreon account yet is because you know that nobody will give you a cent for your hobby, whatever your hobby is, but his hobby? Yep some people is willing to support that.

What an incredibly wrong thing to say.
You're taking thing completely out of context dude. You said that he should "stop short circuting" and hire people to do an specific job, writing in this case. Let's suppose that the dev hires someone and releases an update with the new writter. Someone else will play the new update and say "Is this everything a real writter can do? What a waste of money and resources" simply because for people who doesn't know anything about writing (which is the case for most players), being "good" or "bad" at it is only a matter of personal taste. Yes, you can learn different techniques and ways to tell a story and practice will make you better, but you can't expect the "untrained" eyes to notice all of that and appreciate it, and maybe the guy who is now complaining about the new writter didn't even had a problem with the writing before all of this.

What I'm saying in a nutshell is that: A dev is usually someone without any experience in one or more fields. He will eventually get better at things. This is a hobby he started in his own free time, because he thought it would be fun to do it. Most people keep doing this just to have fun, not to stress with employees or making everything perfect. Even those who started as a hobby and now are here mostly for the money, the reason why they decided to do this instead of working 8-10 per day for a minimun wage is because this is way more fun than working for a shitty boss who will make you stress with demands. This is his hobby. His game. If he wants to hire a writer then good for him but if he doesn't then he isn't "short circuiting", he is doing his game the way he prefers/likes the most.

Last edited:

BorsDeGanis

Jan 30, 2020
You're taking thing completely out of context dude. You said that he should "stop short circuting" and hire people to do an specific job, writing in this case. Let's suppose that the dev hires someone and releases an update with the new writter. Someone else will play the new update and say "Is this everything a real writter can do? What a waste of money and resources" simply because for people who doesn't know anything about writing (which is the case for most players), being "good" or "bad" at it is only a matter of personal taste. Yes, you can learn different techniques and ways to tell a story and practice will make you better, but you can't expect the "untrained" eyes to notice all of that and appreciate it, and maybe the guy who is now complaining about the new writter didn't even had a problem with the writing before all of this.
This argument can be applied to the art as well. Everything you just said could be used as reasons why they don't need someone to make the models that are used in the game, no? Why the double standard?

If you want to nail all the angles of the game, you need people who are competent in all areas of the game. If the capital falls short and he is unable to achieve a professional level in an area, that doesn't mean he is exempt from criticism.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
This argument can be applied to the art as well. Everything you just said could be used as reasons why they don't need someone to make the models that are used in the game, no? Why the double standard?

If you want to nail all the angles of the game, you need people who are competent in all areas of the game. If the capital falls short and he is unable to achieve a professional level in an area, that doesn't mean he is exempt from criticism.
Yes, that argument can be apllied to all arts. The reason why he have those models and not something else is because the dev himself is a 3D artist or something and he decided to go with that. There is no double standards here. He's doing the best thing he can with the elements and knowledge his has.

That's the thing. Who said he was trying to nail all the angles of the game? Who said he is trying or should try to reach a professional level in any area? Who said he should be exempt from criticism? Maybe you don't like the story, and that's okay, but that's the story he wants to tell and he is telling it in the best way he can, and if you don't like the story or how it's paced, there are a lot of people who like it the way it is. Just because you or someone else doesn't like it doesn't mean that he should hire people to work for him.

GamerQueen

Sep 9, 2019
We really need "Update Only" patch for this game if possible.
Also, I wonder why compressed version isn't possible for "Unity" Games? :cry:

Corvair

Jun 26, 2020
Writing is like other crafts: Different people may love different styles, but craftsmanship does matter; Take painting: You may love photorealistic colour, or pencil drawings, or chiaroscuro, or abstract patterns - and you could still make a clear distinction between any of those and and a kid's drawing. There is such a thing as bad writing on a technical level. Some people still can and do genuinely enjoy that, and there is nothing wrong with that either - but it still is bad writing.

And that is just a general observation, not a dig at or defense of this title. I haven't played it yet, but it looks visually interesting so far, so I think I'll give it a whirl. Slow burn is best burn.

And yes, professional writing can be bad. In fact, I would say that the weakest part of a lot of commercial intellectual properties is its lack of quality writing.

Reactions: BorsDeGanis

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Writing is like other crafts: Different people may love different styles, but craftsmanship does matter; Take painting: You may love photorealistic colour, or pencil drawings, or chiaroscuro, or abstract patterns - and you could still make a clear distinction between any of those and and a kid's drawing. There is such a thing as bad writing on a technical level. Some people still can and do genuinely enjoy that, and there is nothing wrong with that either - but it still is bad writing.

And that is just a general observation, not a dig at or defense of this title. I haven't played it yet, but it looks visually interesting so far, so I think I'll give it a whirl. Slow burn is best burn.

And yes, professional writing can be bad. In fact, I would say that the weakest part of a lot of commercial intellectual properties is its lack of quality writing.
I already talked about all of this in the next posts.

F9Zoney

Jul 1, 2018
How is it broken? The only changes to the original character.csv file was the introduction of a new variable in version 0.2.2 (Carmen). As far as I know the edited character.csv should look like this now. You can open it with notepad and check it yourself.

Code:
"Key","eng","fr","rus"

"[Vera]","Vera","",""
"[tenant]","son","",""
"[Josie]","Josie","",""
"[ma'am]","mom","",""
"[Ma'am]","Mom","",""
"[ma’am]","mom","",""
"[Ma’am]","Mom","",""
"[landlady]","mom","",""
"[Landlady]","Mom","",""
"[Ryan]","Ryan","",""
"[little tenant]","little son","",""
"[Larry]","Larry","",""
"[Jeremy]","Jeremy","",""
"[Keith]","Keith",""
"[Carmen]","Carmen",""
In case someone wants an updated character.csv (IC Patch) with the "Carmen" variable added:
how di i install it? i´m confused

Xanado

May 9, 2018
how di i install it? i´m confused
Run the game once, letting it create some files/folders. Close the game. Download and extract the file. Paste the "character.csv" in the "Afterglow v0.2.3a winx86_64\Afterglow_Data\Localisation" folder. When asked to overwrite choose "yes". Run the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: F9Zoney
3.40 star(s) 57 Votes