Thration

Jun 5, 2017
I have been running into a issue with a few games, this one included. As soon as i open it a box appears and says i have to close the program. I've tried compressed and original, as well as i have deleted all the previous files that has to do with the game. i played the last update just cant get this one. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my computer (using windows 7) or something else. I really enjoy the game when i played it last time. I have this same problem with 4 or 5 different games. It says Almost_Dead.exe has stopped working. (I know one time on a different game it had something to do with the icon you click to start the game, i had to download a older version of the game and replace the icons, and it worked after that. Now that was a different game). Will you please inform me if you may know or have any solution to this problem? Thank you in advance!

BadMustard

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2021
I have been running into a issue with a few games, this one included. As soon as i open it a box appears and says i have to close the program. I've tried compressed and original, as well as i have deleted all the previous files that has to do with the game. i played the last update just cant get this one. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my computer (using windows 7) or something else. I really enjoy the game when i played it last time. I have this same problem with 4 or 5 different games. It says Almost_Dead.exe has stopped working. (I know one time on a different game it had something to do with the icon you click to start the game, i had to download a older version of the game and replace the icons, and it worked after that. Now that was a different game). Will you please inform me if you may know or have any solution to this problem? Thank you in advance!
it could be the way it renders the images and videos or the game pad interface
hold down the shift key when you start the game and disable the game pad and try different renders see if that helps

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
@BadMustard Hey, just a quick question:
If you don't intent to implement an option to delete save-files, could you rename the save-directory? Without an ingame-option, I have to visit the RenPy-Directory in AppData (on Windows OS). There, every game SHOULD have a directory named after the game. Your save-directory is simply called "saves".... which collides with some other devs, who didn't think of this.

Reactions: BadMustard

GrizzlyUK

Oct 21, 2019
If you don't intent to implement an option to delete save-files, could you rename the save-directory? Without an ingame-option, I have to visit the RenPy-Directory in AppData (on Windows OS). There, every game SHOULD have a directory named after the game. Your save-directory is simply called "saves".... which collides with some other devs, who didn't think of this.
When I go to the Load option and look at my saves, in the bottom right corner of each save file there is a small bin icon. Clicking on that little icon will delete the save. I'm using v0.6 but I've never played any previous versions so I don't know when that was implemented.

GrizzlyUK

Oct 21, 2019
As I recall that bit about replacing icons with ones from an older version started when devs began transitioning to the newer versions of Ren'py that had dropped support for older Operating Systems. But you say you're using Win7 so that shouldn't be the cause. If you're running the game via the Almost_Dead.exe have you tried running the game with the Almost_Dead-32.exe to see if the same issue persists? :unsure:

BadMustard

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2021
There, every game SHOULD have a directory named after the game. Your save-directory is simply called "saves".... which collides with some other devs, who didn't think of this.
This change has been implemented and will appear in the next update Chapter7

Reactions: Sarkasmus

BadMustard

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2021
Can we have a redhead please
I have red hair (well, red and gray now) would that count?
Dr. Williamson has red hair ?
Otherwise, I'll have to search the city to find a firecracker for him!
Maybe I could recruit/steal Ellie from Bad Memories, she is cute and has red hair!
_____________________________Bad Mustard, she might fall for it!!
Just don't tell recreation

Last edited:

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
Do You plan to revisit the already existing chapters and add some transitional renders? I think that would go a LONG way in improving the scenes.
I already wrote that in my review: You talk to a woman lying down, then you are suddenly balls deep inside her and before you know it, she's dressed on the other side of the room. That goes for the majority of animations in your game and I have to say... it's kinda weird and every time it happens, it pulls me out of the gameflow.

Thration

Jun 5, 2017
As I recall that bit about replacing icons with ones from an older version started when devs began transitioning to the newer versions of Ren'py that had dropped support for older Operating Systems. But you say you're using Win7 so that shouldn't be the cause. If you're running the game via the Almost_Dead.exe have you tried running the game with the Almost_Dead-32.exe to see if the same issue persists? :unsure:
Yes i have done that as well as the Shift-G. I tried both icons of both downloadable versions. I played alot of different games, 90% of them are Ren'Py. I dont change settings or anything like that on the games its just a few wont go past the opening of the game, i get a black screen then not even a sec later i get the box that says cant play the game. (I'm not too knowledgeable with the inner workings of programs, so its hard to try and diagnose these problems. With that being said I want to thank you for taking time to try and help me). Also I dont know how to add multiple answers to different people, but this also a reply to BadMustard as well.

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
Yes i have done that as well as the Shift-G. I tried both icons of both downloadable versions. I played alot of different games, 90% of them are Ren'Py. I dont change settings or anything like that on the games its just a few wont go past the opening of the game, i get a black screen then not even a sec later i get the box that says cant play the game. (I'm not too knowledgeable with the inner workings of programs, so its hard to try and diagnose these problems. With that being said I want to thank you for taking time to try and help me). Also I dont know how to add multiple answers to different people, but this also a reply to BadMustard as well.
There should be a "log.txt"-File in the same directory als the .exe-files. This Textfile should list what went wrong. Could you paste the content here (in a spoiler-tag. so the post is not 2 feet long)?

Thration

Jun 5, 2017
There should be a "log.txt"-File in the same directory als the .exe-files. This Textfile should list what went wrong. Could you paste the content here (in a spoiler-tag. so the post is not 2 feet long)?
Here It Is... Thank You for taking a look.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

GrizzlyUK

Oct 21, 2019
Well I was going to ask if you could post the contents of the "log.txt" file but Sarkasmus has beaten me to it! :ROFLMAO: Are there any other *.txt files in that folder? I'm hoping that there might be a "traceback.txt" though there probably isn't if the game isn't getting past the initial opening of the game.

Thration

Jun 5, 2017
Well I was going to ask if you could post the contents of the "log.txt" file but Sarkasmus has beaten me to it! :ROFLMAO: Are there any other *.txt files in that folder? I'm hoping that there might be a "traceback.txt" though there probably isn't if the game isn't getting past the initial opening of the game.
No that is the only txt file in the folder.

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
Here It Is... Thank You for taking a look.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Well... shit. That wasn't even half as informative as I had hoped. The log file shows, that RenPy itself is starting up without any problem. But when it's then supposed to load up the actual game assets it just... stops. So Right now, I would assume your system is somehow overworked. In the "game"-directory could be an "error.txt" and/or an "traceback.txt". But since the whole thing just dies, I doubt it created those.

There are two things you could try, to make it easier for your system:

1. Unpack the game
Get UnRen, place the file in the "game"-directory of your Almost Dead Folder, and doubleclick it. Choose "1" to unpack the rpa-package and press enter. When it says it's done, close the window and try to launch the game.

2. Switch from OpenGL to DirectX
Doubleclick the .exe of the game, and then IMMEDIATELY hold down the Shift-Key. Instead of the games Menue-Screen, you should now see a debug-screen. In that, click "Force Angle Renderer" and then click the Quit-Link in the bottom-left. Try to start the game again without holding the Shift-Key.

3. At the end of last year, the AMD-Drivers caused some problems with RenPy. Try to update them.

That's all I can think of right now.

BadMustard

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2021
Do You plan to revisit the already existing chapters and add some transitional renders? I think that would go a LONG way in improving the scenes.
I already wrote that in my review: You talk to a woman lying down, then you are suddenly balls deep inside her and before you know it, she's dressed on the other side of the room. That goes for the majority of animations in your game and I have to say... it's kinda weird and every time it happens, it pulls me out of the gameflow.
Yes I would like to go back and revisit the earlier chapters to re-render the images and maybe add some more images, as I have gotten better at lighting and some other things. I am still learning the animation side of, but daz does not make that easy. Maybe after chapter 7 I can take some time off and redo some older works.
How were the animations in chapter 6 as compared to the other chapter? I personally felt they were a LOT better since they were from a pre done animation pose. Some resolution is lost in making them .webm files which I prefer for their file size.

Reactions: LionHeart 95

GrizzlyUK

Oct 21, 2019
No that is the only txt file in the folder.
Yeah, I figured that would be the case. So, taking a quick look at your "log.txt" I suspect that your ATI Mobility Radeon 4100 may be the cause. From what I can find it's an integrated graphics card for laptops that shares the system memory. I don't suppose you know how much system memory there is do you? Also, do you know if the graphics driver files are up-to-date?

I found a site that shows some info for the , not sure if that's the same card as the one you have but if it is then apparently it was launched in November 2009! :eek: Without knowing any info about the rest of your system it's a bit of guesswork as to what might be the actual cause of the issue you have.

With a bit of luck some other users might be able to offer more helpfull advice. :unsure:

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
Yes I would like to go back and revisit the earlier chapters to re-render the images and maybe add some more images, as I have gotten better at lighting and some other things. I am still learning the animation side of, but daz does not make that easy. Maybe after chapter 7 I can take some time off and redo some older works.
How were the animations in chapter 6 as compared to the other chapter? I personally felt they were a LOT better since they were from a pre done animation pose. Some resolution is lost in making them .webm files which I prefer for their file size.
Yes, the improvements are visible. But webm shouldn't be the reason for the bad resolution. Do you render your animations directly? Have you ever tried to render the animation in high quality single images, and then create a webm out of those?
Now let's be honest... it was already noticable that you put work into them so there are no clipping textures (like in Honey Select, when the Male looks like he's dry-humping a hologram, because the female skintexture doesn't have an opening for the dick and it just... phase-shifts into her body). They were just rugged.

*EDIT*
Just noticed something else: Don't get so hung up on filesize. Average size of a game with that many Animations is well over 1GB. Yours isn't even half that size.
*EDIT END*

Oh, and you have a Script-Error in Line 330 of chapter_6.rpy. You misdeclared a paragraph-pause as {p-0} instead of {p=0}.

GrizzlyUK

Oct 21, 2019
Yes, the improvements are visible. But webm shouldn't be the reason for the bad resolution. Do you render your animations directly? Have you ever tried to render the animation in high quality single images, and then create a webm out of those?
Now let's be honest... it was already noticable that you put work into them so there are no clipping textures (like in Honey Select, when the Male looks like he's dry-humping a hologram, because the female skintexture doesn't have an opening for the dick and it just... phase-shifts into her body). They were just rugged.

*EDIT*
Just noticed something else: Don't get so hung up on filesize. Average size of a game with that many Animations is well over 1GB. Yours isn't even half that size.
*EDIT END*

Oh, and you have a Script-Error in Line 330 of chapter_6.rpy. You misdeclared a paragraph-pause as {p-0} instead of {p=0}.
That error was reported a few pages back, er, (quickly checks previous pages) yeah, second post on Page 12. It was then fixed and the fixed version was uploaded. I remember that because the d/l links weren't working because I chose the exact moment when the fixed version was in the process of being uploaded to try and download! :ROFLMAO: It's a little confusing because the version number didn't change and there's no mention of the fix in the Changelog. So, either ignore or re-download?

2.90 star(s) 33 Votes