Answering DAZ questions!

Deleted member 833007

Aug 20, 2018
What? ô.O
Textures/materials have nothing to do with morphs, are you sure you're copying from surface tab to surfac tab, and not from character to surface?
Dont mind me I am still on the learning process but from what i can validate is that the visual difference between the faces apparently became very substantial and yes i did copy from surface to surface tab.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Dont mind me I am still on the learning process but from what i can validate is that the visual difference between the faces apparently became very substantial and yes i did copy from surface to surface tab.
That's true, yes, different textures can make a big difference in appearance.

Feb 3, 2020
What is the approximate VRAM footprint for a G8 at subD 2 and subD 4? I currently have a 4GB GPU and going to subD 3 with just one G8F drops my Iray to CPU.

I can do GPU rendering with about 2 G8 @ subD 2 so I am guessing it uses about 1GB each (2GB for system). So SubD 3 will be ~2.5-3GB (assuming there is no change to texture memory)? SubD 4 will need 10+ GB?

Please correct any mistake in my math guesstimate. Trying to figure out what I can get for my incoming hardware upgrade.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Ill be honest with you. YOu have a lot of Einstein going on below which you should not try and use to disect DAZ. DAZ is a bitch, trust me and not in a good way.

You have to remember assets differ. They way the textures were compressed by the creator of the asset you using. Ask Philly how much he likes Ironman13's assets...

When i started my VN i had a 1060 3GB card with 8core 8320 AMD chip and 24GB system ram. Not a great system for DAZ but doable for some fairly decent renders if you set up the scene and render settings right.

I swopped over to a 1060 6GB card and things improved a lot. It's all down to hardware at teh end of the day, don't fool yourself. Better hardware handles DAZ and its assets better.

Even now with my 2 x RTX2070 8GB cards I do run out of VRAM but as my Ryzen is up to the task it can handle the load. Although does it at a slower pace... Here's the kicker.

98% of the time this happens and i shut off the pc and start up and render the same scene it seems to then use GPU only. It's DAZ.
Saying this there are assets/scenes that you create or use that just want more VRAM but honestly just plonking in a GEN8 model in a scene is not going to push up your VRAM like that.

Also using very high resolution will do this. You can render at 1920x1080 and up your Sample/Iterations etc... I know My Pleasure's dev does this and his renders are amazing.

What is the approximate VRAM footprint for a G8 at subD 2 and subD 4? I currently have a 4GB GPU and going to subD 3 with just one G8F drops my Iray to CPU.

I can do GPU rendering with about 2 G8 @ subD 2 so I am guessing it uses about 1GB each (2GB for system). So SubD 3 will be ~2.5-3GB (assuming there is no change to texture memory)? SubD 4 will need 10+ GB?

Please correct any mistake in my math guesstimate. Trying to figure out what I can get for my incoming hardware upgrade.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018

Each level adds 4 times the verteces to the mesh, so if a mesh has 1000 vertices in Base resolution, it will have 4000 on SubD level one, 12 000 on level two, 48 000 on level three, etc. I'm not sure how it stacks on the memory part, but I'd guess it's somewhat similar.

Feb 3, 2020
Ill be honest with you. YOu have a lot of Einstein going on below which you should not try and use to disect DAZ. DAZ is a bitch, trust me and not in a good way.

You have to remember assets differ. They way the textures were compressed by the creator of the asset you using. Ask Philly how much he likes Ironman13's assets...

When i started my VN i had a 1060 3GB card with 8core 8320 AMD chip and 24GB system ram. Not a great system for DAZ but doable for some fairly decent renders if you set up the scene and render settings right.

I swopped over to a 1060 6GB card and things improved a lot. It's all down to hardware at teh end of the day, don't fool yourself. Better hardware handles DAZ and its assets better.

Even now with my 2 x RTX2070 8GB cards I do run out of VRAM but as my Ryzen is up to the task it can handle the load. Although does it at a slower pace... Here's the kicker.

98% of the time this happens and i shut off the pc and start up and render the same scene it seems to then use GPU only. It's DAZ.
Saying this there are assets/scenes that you create or use that just want more VRAM but honestly just plonking in a GEN8 model in a scene is not going to push up your VRAM like that.

Also using very high resolution will do this. You can render at 1920x1080 and up your Sample/Iterations etc... I know My Pleasure's dev does this and his renders are amazing.

LoL, I do get the sense that Daz3D is lacking in technical feedback.

Computer graphics is kinda my inquiring hobby, both aesthetically and technologically. For decades I got my kicks from building rigs pushing the quality of PC gaming graphics but with consoles capping technological envelop I have mostly lost my desire to spend on hardware. I have no interest in the tinkering that fast twitch muscle kiddies do about getting that 300fps at shitty graphics for a faster kill shot. This was until I stumbled on some really cool G8F character shots and amazed at what consumer grade rendering has become. I like to know how to push my hardware to get better looking graphics but it seems most Daz artists don't like to share technical sauces.

Anyway, managing the VRAM budget and get the most out of that budget is kinda fundamental to my Daz3D hobby.

EDIT: BTW, the reason Daz3D will render in GPU after a restart from dropping to CPU is because Daz3D Iray does not release VRAM memory after each render session. It's stupidest thing I heard in computer graphics but apparently it's true.

Last edited:

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Quote: EDIT: BTW, the reason Daz3D will render in GPU after a restart from dropping to CPU is because Daz3D Iray does not release VRAM memory after each render session. It's stupidest thing I heard in computer graphics but apparently it's true.

CORRECT.. why i shutdown and not restart. Yes you read correctly you have to shutdown. Ive found restarting do not release the cached VRAM as it should. Ive tried memory scripts and nothing works...

For higher quality looking renders use Sample Rate at 3 and Iterations around 15000. It will take longer to render but give you what you want. You can set resolution to 4K etc...

As for devs not sharing their secrets, I dont mind sharing and i found many devs here also do share. I think they will share if you speak to them personally in a DM or discord DM...

Speak to recreation, AZ, ttll, Loys, Pixelsab etc... for some tips im sure they will help and all seriously great renders.

LoL, I do get the sense that Daz3D is lacking in technical feedback.

Computer graphics is kinda my inquiring hobby, both aesthetically and technologically. For decades I got my kicks from building rigs pushing the quality of PC gaming graphics but with consoles capping technological envelop I have mostly lost my desire to spend on hardware. I have no interest in the tinkering that fast twitch muscle kiddies do about getting that 300fps at shitty graphics for a faster kill shot. This was until I stumbled on some really cool G8F character shots and amazed at what consumer grade rendering has become. I like to know how to push my hardware to get better looking graphics but it seems most Daz artists don't like to share technical sauces.

Anyway, managing the VRAM budget and get the most out of that budget is kinda fundamental to my Daz3D hobby.

EDIT: BTW, the reason Daz3D will render in GPU after a restart from dropping to CPU is because Daz3D Iray does not release VRAM memory after each render session. It's stupidest thing I heard in computer graphics but apparently it's true.

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
Here is one...

There are some assests that I like "part of". Sometimes the asset creator puts their assets together in pieces... shirt, pants, shoes, hat...
And you can put and take what you want.

BUT SOMETIMES....
The assets seems to be group together, and its an all or nothing kind of thing... for example

My Question:
I'd like to ditch the arm pieces that are part of the dress.... is there an easy way to do this in Daz?

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I am sure you can do this in Marvelous designer or even Blender...
If its part of the clothing you can lower opacity on it to hide it but i think then that will applied for whatever else its part of.

But looking at the link that i would think you can hide/delete the arm parts surely seperately?

Here is one...

There are some assests that I like "part of". Sometimes the asset creator puts their assets together in pieces... shirt, pants, shoes, hat...
And you can put and take what you want.

BUT SOMETIMES....
The assets seems to be group together, and its an all or nothing kind of thing... for example

My Question:
I'd like to ditch the arm pieces that are part of the dress.... is there an easy way to do this in Daz?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
The easiest way would be to hide them in the surface tab like MrKnobb said.

If you want to delete them completely:
Go to the surfaces tab, select the arm pieces, select the tools icon in the toolbar 1583467309500.png , look for the arms surface in the new window, right click -> delete.

If there is no surface for the arm pieces whatsoever, you can use the geometry editor tool. Select the tool from the menu -> tools, select the clothing, select the part in the scene you want to delete, right click, geometry editing -> delete selected polygons.

Feb 3, 2020
What are the causes for mesh to explode in non-physics situation? I know they are very common with dForce due to physics are just crap in consumer class software/hardware but I've seen them in non-dForce stuff as well, like hairs or genitals after applying pre-made poses. When it does happen it's impossible to fix even with pose zero to A-frame. The only way is to reload a new figure, which could be annoying if you've spent hours tinkering morphs and want to see how the morphs look like in different pose.

PS: What are the sales pattern of renderotica? Daz3D and Renderosity always have sales on but not sure about the pattern of renderotica. I like to pay artists for stuff I do use but don't feel like paying full price. EDIT: by sales I mean >50%.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Not sure I understand what you mean "like hairs or genitals after applying pre-made poses. When it does happen it's impossible to fix even with pose zero to A-frame" ...

Do you have a image to show us how it goes wrong?

As for sales i am a sale whore too.. just buy on sale of grab free shit. I know DAZ store has a sale almost everyday. Renderocity have them as i get an email reminding this or that is on sale. Renderotica will have them too fairly regularly. Sighning up for email update on sales will help or just check everyday.

What are the causes for mesh to explode in non-physics situation? I know they are very common with dForce due to physics are just crap in consumer class software/hardware but I've seen them in non-dForce stuff as well, like hairs or genitals after applying pre-made poses. When it does happen it's impossible to fix even with pose zero to A-frame. The only way is to reload a new figure, which could be annoying if you've spent hours tinkering morphs and want to see how the morphs look like in different pose.

PS: What are the sales pattern of renderotica? Daz3D and Renderosity always have sales on but not sure about the pattern of renderotica. I like to pay artists for stuff I do use but don't feel like paying full price. EDIT: by sales I mean >50%.

Feb 3, 2020
Exploding might not be the right word. Some vertices just got pulled way out but the mesh does not "explod" into every direction as when dForce blows up. I've seen these kind of mesh stretching a lot in Skyrim physics mods.

I was building a character and trying out Golden Palace. After hours of tinkering with the character I tried it out in different poses to see how the morphing looks. Then Golden Palace mesh all of sudden deformed so badly that the pussy was pulled to her eye level. There was no dForce in the scene and changed poses did not fix the deformed pussy. Deleting Golden Palace and starting a new Golden Palace and then it was fine. I could not replicate the deform situation to debug what happened.

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017
Exploding might not be the right word. Some vertices just got pulled way out but the mesh does not "explod" into every direction as when dForce blows up. I've seen these kind of mesh stretching a lot in Skyrim physics mods.

I was building a character and trying out Golden Palace. After hours of tinkering with the character I tried it out in different poses to see how the morphing looks. Then Golden Palace mesh all of sudden deformed so badly that the pussy was pulled to her eye level. There was no dForce in the scene and changed poses did not fix the deformed pussy. Deleting Golden Palace and starting a new Golden Palace and then it was fine. I could not replicate the deform situation to debug what happened.
I only use Golden Palace and I've never seen that happen when using poses. The only time I've seen the pussy go all wonky is if I use the pre-built vagina shaping settings. I've never been able to use that with out the labia inverting or crossing over each other and other odd shit. Also I don't think dForce settings should effect Golden Palace in any way as it's not a dforce object.

Edit: Did you by any chance have Golden Palace and not the Model selected when applying a pose?

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Im with Yonamous ive not seen this with Golden Palace or default Gen8/3 genitalia. I think you should consider reloading Golden palace and even DAZ as it doesnt sound right.

Feb 3, 2020
Thanks for the tip. I just read the sticky thread and someone also mention Golden Palace presets are buggy. The intersecting mesh likely won't do well with collision. There is also a good chance I double click the pose while the scene had Golden Palace selected. That's probably what happened with the hairs as well. How do I restore Golden Palace or hair when I use poses on them meant for the character?

Are all Golden Palace presets buggy or just some?

I only use Golden Palace and I've never seen that happen when using poses. The only time I've seen the pussy go all wonky is if I use the pre-built vagina shaping settings. I've never been able to use that with out the labia inverting or crossing over each other and other odd shit. Also I don't think dForce settings should effect Golden Palace in any way as it's not a dforce object.

Edit: Did you by any chance have Golden Palace and not the Model selected when applying a pose?

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
Ok... I have waited a few days since my last question... to be fair to others... but here is one I am dying to know.

Can anyone explain (quick demo?) how shaders work?

If I have a dress, chair, dildo... whatever and I want to change its appearance using one of the many shader assets you can get...

How does it work?

Feb 3, 2020
I myself still don't quiet understand the difference between shaders, materials and textures but I have been playing with it nonetheless. So take what I say with a grain of salt. Click on the item in the Scene tab that you want to apply the shader. Go down to the pane below Scene and find Surface (a few below Parameters). Click on the item in Surface and Ctrl-A to select all. Go to the shader you want and double click. That's it.

Ok... I have waited a few days since my last question... to be fair to others... but here is one I am dying to know.

Can anyone explain (quick demo?) how shaders work?

If I have a dress, chair, dildo... whatever and I want to change its appearance using one of the many shader assets you can get...

How does it work?

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
How does it work?
Imagine shaders as layers of information, usually you need four or five of them to get the look you need, the ones you'll work with the most are:
base color: determines the color or color texture of your surface.
metallicity: makes your surface reflective.
base bump: makes your surface bumpy.
normal map: makes your surface look bumpy (usually smaller bump that can be faked).
glossy: makes your surface shiny.
roughness: makes your surface less shiny.
emission: makes it emit light.
subsurface: let's a ittle of light pass through and light up the other side of thin parts.
thin coat: makes it look oily or wet.

usually you can tweak the slider to change the amount of each, or give them a texture (usually shades between black and white) to have different amount of each effect at different parts.
you have two types of shader presets in your surface tabs, the ones that apply to all of the surface you have and the ones that are made for a specific object and only cover specific parts of that object. use one of the first type (usually have a ball icon) and tweak the sliders in the next tab