Ren'Py Apocalust [psychodelusional] Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
I thought my comments were rather mild, actually. Expectations management is a big part of marketing subsidized games. On the one hand the visuals look gorgeous, the plot sounds interesting and the UI looks great. On the other hand a year has gone by and the first release isn't here yet. If you want to manage expectations, just say "I'm working really hard to make this the best it can be, and that takes a lot of time/I'm doing this in my spare time, so the best I can tell you is it will get done when it gets done. Thanks for your patronage, please be patient." I think most sophisticated gamers know that game development takes a fuckton of hard work and time. We get that. But if you're getting money coming in, you either need to lower expectations for imminent release, or you need to commit to a release date and just put it out, bugs and all. If it's a labor of love done for free, fuck it, who cares what people think. But the minute you solicit support, you have an obligation--not to the free-riding shmoes here(no offense guys) but to everyone donating 1, 10, 20 or 30 dollars a month towards your project--the same as the Renaissance artists of old had to placate their patrons who popped in to ask "Is it done yet? Is it done yet?"--either admit you have no clue when you'll be done, or commit to a release date.

Reaver

May 31, 2017
I thought my comments were rather mild, actually. Expectations management is a big part of marketing subsidized games. On the one hand the visuals look gorgeous, the plot sounds interesting and the UI looks great. On the other hand a year has gone by and the first release isn't here yet. If you want to manage expectations, just say "I'm working really hard to make this the best it can be, and that takes a lot of time/I'm doing this in my spare time, so the best I can tell you is it will get done when it gets done. Thanks for your patronage, please be patient." I think most sophisticated gamers know that game development takes a fuckton of hard work and time. We get that. But if you're getting money coming in, you either need to lower expectations for imminent release, or you need to commit to a release date and just put it out, bugs and all. If it's a labor of love done for free, fuck it, who cares what people think. But the minute you solicit support, you have an obligation--not to the free-riding shmoes here(no offense guys) but to everyone donating 1, 10, 20 or 30 dollars a month towards your project--the same as the Renaissance artists of old had to placate their patrons who popped in to ask "Is it done yet? Is it done yet?"--either admit you have no clue when you'll be done, or commit to a release date.
Ya i get where you're coming from, and you make a good point, however I was comparing CD Projekts Red to this Dev. team and one has a name and a rep your willing to wait for, they earned that. With that being said this Dev. team has yet to prove that they can deliver anything let alone finish it. That's one of the reasons why I'm cautious on who gets my $. If this Dev. team can make this game and take it to the end and give us a game worth our time and expectations then they won't have an issue getting people to give them $ for all future projects, however they need to not pull a NLT Dev. team and just claim that they are working on it, but nothing gets done or released / updated and just keep taking ppls money.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
Ya i get where you're coming from, and you make a good point, however I was comparing CD Projekts Red to this Dev. team and one has a name and a rep your willing to wait for, they earned that. With that being said this Dev. team has yet to prove that they can deliver anything let alone finish it. That's one of the reasons why I'm cautious on who gets my $. If this Dev. team can make this game and take it to the end and give us a game worth our time and expectations then they won't have an issue getting people to give them $ for all future projects, however they need to not pull a NLT Dev. team and just claim that they are working on it, but nothing gets done or released / updated and just keep taking ppls money.
I mean, Dark Neighborhood was pretty well-received here.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
This game looks out of this world, and I'm going to guess that it's going to be very big for a DL. probably they will have to do a torrent or break it up into pieces to DL, not to mention the Size on ppls HDs.
WebP is your friend. You can easily "compress" 4 GB of PNG or JPEG files down to 2 GB without significant quality drop.
With that being said this Dev. team has yet to prove that they can deliver anything let alone finish it.
Dev is a single guy, not a team.
NLT Dev. team and just claim that they are working on it
NLT is another single guy with a bunch of testers and "story advisor".

titsucker22

Nov 5, 2019
Ya, but you have to consider the final product and the track record of the company. I don't mind waiting a few extra months or a year for a better gaming experience. If it takes 6 months extra for a game to come out or for the Dev. to stockpile renders so that they can make target deadlines / updates then so be it. This game looks out of this world, and I'm going to guess that it's going to be very big for a DL. probably they will have to do a torrent or break it up into pieces to DL, not to mention the Size on ppls HDs.
of course no body would mind to wait if the product is good but i think the people who are investing in it at least have a right to know by when the project will done 1mon, 2mons, 6 or 1yr or even 10yrs, because we are watching some clips of a game which nobody have any idea when gonna finished, people cant wait and invest like that, it's not practical.
The last time when he said it will take another 2-3 months it was april and it almost 3 months from then and no news from the dev since june 24th.
so you see that is the thing i am talking about :)

Last edited:

Reaver

May 31, 2017
WebP is your friend. You can easily "compress" 4 GB of PNG or JPEG files down to 2 GB without significant quality drop.

Dev is a single guy, not a team.

NLT is another single guy with a bunch of testers and "story advisor".
Ok NOW it makes sense why NLT takes forever to get shit done... man he/she must be burned out by now... Dev.s need a team. I was planing of making a game but I realized how much work would be needed to get it done and I dont have the skills for it. (story and story ark is one thing, but graphics and programing / coding is way out of my skill set.) This Dev. must be grinding himself / herself to death to get this even close to launch. I kind of feel sorry for them.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
who are investing in it at least have a right to know by when the project will done 1mon, 2mons, 6 or 1yr or even 10yrs
Rights??? Patrons literally have no rights at all. All they do is support something with their money. And maybe in return they get something, but there is no law or a regulation how this should look.

For a non supporter you talk big without knowing anything.

people cant wait and invest like that, it's not practical
People? About which people are you talking about? You are not talking for everyone, because for me it looks you are the one you can't wait and demand a development schedule.

Whoever support him does it on their own free will with their own money. No one was forced or signed a contract which they can't leave.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Ok NOW it makes sense why NLT takes forever to get shit done... man he/she must be burned out by now... Dev.s need a team. I was planing of making a game but I realized how much work would be needed to get it done and I dont have the skills for it. (story and story ark is one thing, but graphics and programing / coding is way out of my skill set.) This Dev. must be grinding himself / herself to death to get this even close to launch. I kind of feel sorry for them.
He invested time and money into his project. He learned and improved his RPG coding and art skills. Go and check out one of his early games "Visiting Aunt...something".

I guess he almost finished developing Lust Epidemic before he went public with it. Then he immediately started to work on ToN. The way NLT renders is also easier than what Psychodelusional, DrPinkCake and other devs do. You will notice it as soon as you decrypt/extract ToN's assets.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnelros

Reaver

May 31, 2017
He invested time and money into his project. He learned and improved his RPG coding and art skills. Go and check out one of his early games "Visiting Aunt...something".

I guess he was almost finished developing Lust Epidemic before he went public with it. Then he immediately started to work on ToN. The way NLT renders is also easier than what Psychodelusional, DrPinkCake and other devs do. You will notice it as soon as you decrypt/extract ToN's assets.
Good to know. I'll have to look into that.

titsucker22

Nov 5, 2019
Patrons literally have no rights at all. All they do is support something with their money. And maybe in return they get something.
For a non supporter you talk big without knowing anything.
if you think people pay 20 dollars each month for this long because they think may the dev is kind enough to give them something, you are fooling yourself dude no one else, money dont grows on trees and in this world nothing comes for free.
And neither i am a non supporter nor i am talking big without knowing, the thing is i was fan who can see the true facts now and the thing you said about patron supporting, may be read it on your pc online sitting on back chair but i am talking practical here.
People? About which people are you talking about? You are not talking for everyone, because for me it looks you are the one you can't wait and demand a development schedule.
Whoever support him does it on their own free will with their own money. No one was forced or signed a contract which they can't leave.
of course, who support him do it from their own free will but if you think i am the only one who want a confirm date, you are wrong again pal.

titsucker22

Nov 5, 2019
hey at least he say it. Hes straight and its more important than fail the schedule.
If he keep talking to people what happen and what will come its cool
yeah but he dont talk now and even if he talks he straightly ignore the questions. the last time i talked about the release he said it will come soon enough.

• Haha
Reactions: GAMEPLAY7

Xumeey

Apr 27, 2017
first i talking about official trailer not teaser, the teaser came out on 2013 not the official trailer, at that time the project is just announced, and if you are talking about the changes of date, those are apr16, then sep17, now nov19. well you can see the gap between first two dates are 4 months and then the gap between their final release date to current is 1 month. so there is difference between almost a year and 1 month after a dev already release a final date.
and between the gap we had available many gameplays of the game cyberpunk and what we have here ?
insufficient knowledge is harmful, you should know the full fact and then question others
You didn't say anything about trailers you just said when they release news they're developing a game they also give release date which is incorrect because CDPR announced Cyberpunk 2077 closed to a decade ago without giving a release date until recently.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
if you think people pay 20 dollars each month for this long because they think may the dev is kind enough to give them something, you are fooling yourself dude no one else, money dont grows on trees and in this world nothing comes for free.
This is what a patronage is. He/she/it (a patron) gives money away "for free". In ancient times only "wealthy" people were able to do it.. of course a burger flipper won't support an artist to create something if he won't get something in return for it.
And neither i am a non supporter nor i am talking big without knowing, the thing is i was fan who can see the true facts now and the thing you said about patron supporting, may be read it on your pc online sitting on back chair but i am talking practical here.
From my own real life experience dealing with high tier patrons - on our dev teams discord server where I'm a Mod - I can tell you that high tier patrons don't care about release dates or any other sort of benefits in return for there patronage. Those guys are "loaded" and they don't know what to do with their money. On the other hand, the lower the tier the louder the group "demanding" something from the Dev.

I, for myself, wouldn't support someone before an actual release - as you said it yourself, money doesn't grow on trees.

Reactions: Ragnar and Reaver

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
They are not very promising, I'm afraid: protesters are demanding that Lincoln statues be removed. Apparently such statues perpetuate racism.
This world is going down the shitter, I'm afraid. Our only hope is China will help us identify and neutralize all baizuos before it's too late, but it's quite unlikely they'll be willing to cooperate.

EDIT: Gross typo

Last edited:

titsucker22

Nov 5, 2019
You didn't say anything about trailers you just said when they release news they're developing a game they also give release date which is incorrect because CDPR announced Cyberpunk 2077 closed to a decade ago without giving a release date until recently.
i said a probable release date, that is the year when game may be can come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.