Ren'Py Apocalust [psychodelusional] Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

test7777

Jun 6, 2017
I am not thrilled about certain things PD has done(offering the custom renders to 30 dollar patrons only, not providing regular status updates), but at the level of revenue here, it's remotely plausible that he's not earning enough to take more time from his "day job"(whatever that might be) to put in the time necessary to release the first version. He also wants to put refined touches on the end product as he feels bad about the initial product in Dark Neighborhood. That's all at least remotely plausible. 1500 bucks a month is some fairly low-grade "milking". ICSTOR is bringing in 5 figures a month by comparison. If I were to work on a game, I assume it would eat up lots and lots of my free time and might rival a day job in terms of time commitment. I'd need to make enough off of Patreon to replace any pay I missed by taking time off. And if I quit my job, I'd need to have several grand a month coming in. PD isn't getting that kind of money. After Patreon takes their cut, he's clearing less than 1300.
Mostly I just want him to either set a fucking first release deadline and meet it, or else end the ambiguity and tell Patrons that it's going to be done when it's done and they have to be patient, it will be worth it. But I'm not a patron and have no idea what their expectations are. I do think that the reason he has stalled on support is because it's been over a year and no release yet, which creates a catch-22, if he's telling the truth that he can't afford to take enough time off work to finish the first release. Eventually he will bleed more patrons, until he's forced to either release an incomplete, unpolished first version, in order to win back patrons, or else abandon the project altogether. Which would be a shame.
If you look at , his income has increased steadily each month. I guess the average monthly earnings since this games announcement over a year ago are around $1k. With about 13 months since this threads creation, thats 13k before taxes. Lets take take the average hourly salary of a software engineer in the Silicon Valley ($44 before taxes, no idea where the dev lives or if he is based in Europe, the US or somewhere else), then a normal working person would work 300 hours for this income (37.5 8-hour workdays, 7.5 40-hour weeks).

People can get a lot done in 7.5 weeks, so I hope the first release of this game will represent that effort. I really wish the dev the best and hope his patreons will see their money well spent, but I wouldn't be surprised if this got abandonded at some point.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
If you look at , his income has increased steadily each month. I guess the average monthly earnings since this games announcement over a year ago are around $1k. With about 13 months since this threads creation, thats 13k before taxes. Lets take take the average hourly salary of a software engineer in the Silicon Valley ($44 before taxes, no idea where the dev lives or if he is based in Europe, the US or somewhere else), then a normal working person would work 300 hours for this income (37.5 8-hour workdays, 7.5 40-hour weeks).

People can get a lot done in 7.5 weeks, so I hope the first release of this game will represent that effort. I really wish the dev the best and hope his patreons will see their money well spent, but I wouldn't be surprised if this got abandonded at some point.
Learning isn't included in this estimate, although I see that you're simply just trying to illustrate hours/income. Psycho is learning Octane on top of everything else to bring the great visual qualities and new game play we see in the teasers. If this game was at the same level as his previous one, the entire game would have been completed already. I can't speak to his level of communication or any other things people have mentioned here. All I can say as a dev is that there is a lot of work put in that doesn't directly translate to more content.

My own game is going on to its 9th month of no update despite me putting in a minimum 40 hours a week. 6 months of learning alone just to fully migrate into another software and to be comfortable enough to continue on the game. I have no doubt that someone will be comparing my next update with prior ones, expecting 3x more content because it took 3x longer.

All I know is that once Psycho puts out 0.1, the following updates will be much faster because all of the learning/heavy lifting is done upfront.

Zolkane

Jun 2, 2017
Learning isn't included in this estimate, although I see that you're simply just trying to illustrate hours/income. Psycho is learning Octane on top of everything else to bring the great visual qualities and new game play we see in the teasers. If this game was at the same level as his previous one, the entire game would have been completed already. I can't speak to his level of communication or any other things people have mentioned here. All I can say as a dev is that there is a lot of work put in that doesn't directly translate to more content.

My own game is going on to its 9th month of no update despite me putting in a minimum 40 hours a week. 6 months of learning alone just to fully migrate into another software and to be comfortable enough to continue on the game. I have no doubt that someone will be comparing my next update with prior ones, expecting 3x more content because it took 3x longer.

All I know is that once Psycho puts out 0.1, the following updates will be much faster because all of the learning/heavy lifting is done upfront.
And if it take 2 years you gonna Say the same thing?
For some people 3 months its long and others its more but need to be a limit. Why did he say he gonna release soon many months but even after all thoses months after we got nothing.
You cant trust a dude saying its release AT june and even in september its not finish

Reactions: KrewellaHardy3111

test7777

Jun 6, 2017

Good point. I didn't consider learning cause from my personal work experience it was usually expected to learn new technologies within a very short amount of time and I forgot this is not the case with every software. I didn't know he was learning/using Octane, how different is it to other options like Blender?

Glad to hear you are still working on your game, now and then I saw it in my watchlist and wondered what happened to it. What software are you learning that is taking so long to learn and migrate to? Also I just checked your patreon, how can you afford to work 40hours/week on your game with just $577/month?

In regards to Psycho, it is just really confusing since he published the "Final preview" in January. I just don't get why there can't be any clear communication from so many devs. If someone has a final preview I would assume a release would follow shortly after that. Why not simply put it in the patreon description or a post that X amount of time is needed to learn something with the goal of e.g. better renders? This seems to be the main issue here as it seems Psycho wants to create this game in a really professional manner in terms of content, but his lack of communication screams the opposite.

Last edited:

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
you dont care i much as i can see. Dont trust thoses ones. Accept everything throw at them and you are a dev so kinda biaised because you do same thing
You're just telling me your feelings rather than adding anything to the discussion. If you specified which parts of what I said you didn't agree with, then we'd be able to have a productive conversation.

Good point. I didn't consider learning cause from my personal work experience it was usually expected to learn new technologies within a very short amount of time and I forgot this is not the case with every software. I didn't know he was learning/using Octane, how different is it to other options like Blender?

Glad to hear you are still working on your game, now and then I saw it in my watchlist and wondered what happened to it. What software are you learning that is taking so long to learn and migrate to? Also I just checked your patreon, how can you afford to work 40hours/week on your game with just $577/month?

In regards to Psycho, it is just really confusing since he published the "Final preview" in January. I just don't get why there can't be any clear communication from so many devs. If someone has a final preview I would assume a release would follow shortly after that. Why not simply put it in the patreon description or a post that X amount of time is needed to learn something with the goal of e.g. better renders? This seems to be the main issue here as it seems Psycho wants to create this game in a really professional manner in terms of content, but his lack of communication screams the opposite.
Since these questions are directed at me/Personal Trainer, I'll DM you rather than hijack the thread.

Reactions: KrewellaHardy3111

Zolkane

Jun 2, 2017
You're just telling me your feelings rather than adding anything to the discussion. If you specified which parts of what I said you didn't agree with, then we'd be able to have a productive conversation.
its just very hard for me becaus english not my first language.

In the end, we have people who say he took way to much time and even said multi time its coming next months and look today few months after all this and we got nothing.
And thoses who accept anything even after 1 year and i asked if you will still trust him after 2 years. When it stop trust someone when they accept 1 year 'work' if its 2 or 3?

Reactions: gale94

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
its just very hard for me becaus english not my first language.

In the end, we have people who say he took way to much time and even said multi time its coming next months and look today few months after all this and we got nothing.
And thoses who accept anything even after 1 year and i asked if you will still trust him after 2 years. When it stop trust someone when they accept 1 year 'work' if its 2 or 3?
Ah, I see. No worries, we can chalk it up to miscommunication.

Reactions: BatmanNinja
Status
Not open for further replies.