Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
It is possible to have the version 1.0C ?
Possible? Probably yes.
Reasonably? Probably not.

It looks like there is another gamebreaking bug in1.0C that prevents progress.

We should all wait a few more days, because it looks like even after more than 5 years of development, Kal didn't have enough time to test at least the first phase of the game.

Reactions: Kron.L and sonolfal

WeebLoop

Sep 8, 2020
Possible? Probably yes.
Reasonably? Probably not.

It looks like there is another gamebreaking bug in1.0C that prevents progress.

We should all wait a few more days, because it looks like even after more than 5 years of development, Kal didn't have enough time to test at least the first phase of the game.
I just nailed it. Better to wait for a week, otherwise we all will be in a circle of New Patch>Gamebreak Bug>New Patch.
And the problem are at the begging, now imagine losing and end game run for bugs

moonblackhen

Jan 25, 2022
Looking at their Patreon it went from earning below 12000 (I think it was 11900 last time I checked) to 13800 - an increase of nearly 2000. What a great way to encourage a "Release it now, fix it later" mentality... *shakes head in disappointment*

SonaGate

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
Looking at their Patreon it went from earning below 12000 (I think it was 11900 last time I checked) to 13800 - an increase of nearly 2000. What a great way to encourage a "Release it now, fix it later" mentality... *shakes head in disappointment*
I think that 5 years of work needs to be rewarded while I understand the frustration about the bugs I think that this is being blown out of proportion, it's kinda unfair how much Kaliyo team is being attacked, believe me when i say that no one wants to release a buggy product, it's more complex than it seems.

Jan 28, 2018
I think that 5 years of work needs to be rewarded while I understand the frustration about the bugs I think that this is being blown out of proportion, it's kinda unfair how much Kaliyo team is being attacked, believe me when i say that no one wants to release a buggy product, it's more complex than it seems.
Thank you! Finally someone says what I wasnt able to formulate coherently!

Plain and simple; lay off with all the flame. In a time when we have draconian buggy AAA games that are launched broken, with scummy MTX, and massive budgets behind them. I am just grateful to get a chunky game made by a tiny team that does this because they WANT to!

Could some things be optimized? Sure. Is it flawed? What doesn't. At the bare minimum, just give constructive criticism and suggestions without overblowing things out of proportions.

I'll do it right now, just so that I dont get called a hypocrite: The game's main issue to me? it definitely feels slow, the MC sprite alone feels like it takes forever going from one place to the next. That is my currently primary gripe. Will have more to say when the next one comes up with the fixes.

Apologies in advance, but I just felt it needed to be said.

darkzerotor

Nov 13, 2017
Tbh i dont think anyone here want to hate on them or anything. It's more of the "im not mad, just disappointed" kind of thing. It's the same situation as Subverse. Both have amazing art and look very polished, but ultimately just a jack of all trade master of none.

Reactions: Torinir

darkzerotor

Nov 13, 2017
I'll do it right now, just so that I dont get called a hypocrite: The game's main issue to me? it definitely feels slow, the MC sprite alone feels like it takes forever going from one place to the next. That is my currently primary gripe. Will have more to say when the next one comes up with the fixes.

Apologies in advance, but I just felt it needed to be said.
It's exactly what people complaining about. No one care about how optimise or how buggy it is. If it a good game ppl will still enjoy it. At the end of the day the game is just.. meh.

Jerghaal

Sep 8, 2018
Are any of the passives working when making your mc ? I just took the 5% stress reduction and no stress is being taking off at the end of the day.

SonaGate

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
Tbh i dont think anyone here want to hate on them or anything. It's more of the "im not mad, just disappointed" kind of thing. It's the same situation as Subverse. Both have amazing art and look very polished, but ultimately just a jack of all trade master of none.
Other thing to have in mind is that they are not "pros" yet in game development, more when we talk about Game Design, their previous game was in EA for years with feedback from the community that helped shape the game for the better. Now with Arenus is going to happen the same thing, the feedback made that the "lose" scenes are no longer a game over and is not going to be the last thing to be reworked. If you are in the discord server you can see how much they are listening to feedback and looking ways to implement it.

moonblackhen

Jan 25, 2022
In my humble opinion GOOD work and GOOD practices should be rewarded, while poor work and bad practices should not be rewarded. A lot of the issues with this game are a result of the latter (such as not testing the game properly – just look at how many of the reported bugs are early in the game).

Also, “5 years of work” on its own means nothing. Remember Anthem? That too took years to make... Just because “AAA” companies release broken games doesn't mean that everyone should follow their example.

Other thing to have in mind is that they are not "pros" yet in game development, more when we talk about Game Design, their previous game was in EA for years with feedback from the community that helped shape the game for the better. Now with Arenus is going to happen the same thing, the feedback made that the "lose" scenes are no longer a game over and is not going to be the last thing to be reworked. If you are in the discord server you can see how much they are listening to feedback and looking ways to implement it.
Arenus is supposed to be a complete game, not an early access title. Also, as you yourself pointed out, this is not their first game. They have YEARS of experience using RPG Maker, which makes some of the bugs a lot more difficult to excuse. As far as indie devs go they are pros.

Also, they delayed the game because – supposedly – they needed more time for polish and bug fixing. Because they didn't want this to be like Cyberpunk (said so in a Patreon post). I can only imagine how many more bugs there would have been if they had not delayed so many times...

Torinir

Jun 12, 2017
It's less hate and more pure disappointment brought onto Kaliyo's head by his own lack of candor. I was on the Arenus hype train early in development. When he started missing his own deadlines, with a radio-silent dev team, and noticeable work on his other major project, Roundscape, he quickly ran out of goodwill.

I suspect that were it not for the community absolutely rioting over the missed deadlines, we'd not have Arenus at all, and we'd be hearing about Roundscape 6.9 being released.

SonaGate

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
In my humble opinion GOOD work and GOOD practices should be rewarded, while poor work and bad practices should not be rewarded...
I understand your point, maybe it's because I haven't experienced as many bugs as everyone here says.
I also have certain things that I don't like, but I'm trying to be a little more positive so that more constructive criticism can be given.

Reactions: Kraz4life

darkzerotor

Nov 13, 2017
I understand your point, maybe it's because I haven't experienced as many bugs as everyone here says.
I also have certain things that I don't like, but I'm trying to be a little more positive so that more constructive criticism can be given.
To be fair bug is not as big of an issues as many claim they are. through out my playthrough i encounter alot of bugs but none are game breaking and more of an annoyance and quite easy to bypass. The problem is i think they write themself to a deadend cause from now on if they want to add 1 scene with a npc, they have to make 6 variants, and if it a scene with your gladiator, make that 18 variants. It just more work for no reason.

SonaGate

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
To be fair bug is not as big of an issues as many claim they are. through out my playthrough i encounter alot of bugs but none are game breaking and more of an annoyance and quite easy to bypass. The problem is i think they write themself to a deadend cause from now on if they want to add 1 scene with a npc, they have to make 6 variants, and if it a scene with your gladiator, make that 18 variants. It just more work for no reason.
I was thinking the same, too much variation

Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
I personally played Cyberpunk right when it was released.
Was it bugged? Definitely yes! Was it fun despite that? Definitely yes!

Although bugs can detract from the overall experience of playing Arenus, it's the least of its problems in the wider spectrum.
The game has a LOT more problems than a few bugs. Most of the problems cannot be solved without completely overhauling most of the game's systems.

Kaliyo has over a decade of experience developing games.
How could he get so massively wrong about what gamers like?

Jerghaal

Sep 8, 2018
Just love meeting an enemy that gives immune to all the other mobs and yet killing him the buff stays permanently and no way of running from a fight. Btw this was encountered on the easiest infiltration mission.

3.20 star(s) 37 Votes