Amy

Apr 22, 2017
Hi everyone, I have a problem where my character have a normal skin on the preview, but when I enter the playmode (walking around), her skin became dark.

Anyone have the same problem or know the solution to fix this? Thank you

Screenshot 2023-06-09 225741.png Screenshot 2023-06-09 225812.png

belphabet

Sep 6, 2019
Works in Linux (arch, btw) via Lutris/Wine. Previously I got it to work via Bottles as well but an update broke something and I never could get it to work again. Yay, gaming on Linux! :D

For all the open source degenerates here some pointers:
  • Install both lutris and wine
  • Get out of with wine and just install everything
  • Winetricks: install vcrun2013, vcrun2019 and vcrun6
  • Manually add game folder in lutris
  • Lutris settings for the game:
    • working directory: where AA2Play.exe is
    • wine prefix: default is usually ~/.wine (should be 32-bit)
    • prefix architecture: 32-bit
    • runner: system
    • check 'use system winetricks'
    • disable fsync
  • In the AA2 Start Dialog, Scripts: enable wined3d, disable win10fix, enable fixlocale (otherwise I got always 0% responses and messy text)

Still a million things that can go wrong but maybe this helps someone.

Reactions: Gragt

Gragt

Jun 10, 2023
Fellow Open-Source Degenerate here!

That’s a good guide for a manual installation. That said, Lutris features that makes things a bit easier. I tested it and it works.

You do not even need to download the script: you can open Lutris, open the menu to install a game and select the first option—the one to search the Lutris website for an installer. Just enter “artificial academy 2” and it should return the installer. Provide it the AA2Mini 7zip file when prompted and it should automatically install whatever it needs. This also sets the Wine locale to Japanese so you can disable the fixlocale script.

I use with Lutris. This has given me the most stability and best performance so far. I don’t even need to enable the win10fix and wine3d scripts: it works out of the box! In fact, I have had far fewer problems running AA2 on Linux this way than on Win11. Of course, I imagine that depends on one’s hardware configuration.

The only issue I have encountered so far with AA2Mini is the inability to load ppx files, but I’ve encountered exactly the same problem on Linux and Win11. Enabling the option to load ppx files (and disabling pp2 files, as the two appear to be mutually exclusive) makes the game hang at loading time. pp2 files load fine but many mods switched to ppx and the available pp2 version are outdated. The roundabout way I have found to fix it is to unpack the ppx files and load their contents as sets.

If anyone is interested on how to do this:
  • Download and extract it somewhere.
  • It is a Windows programme but can be run with Wine. However, it requires the . Install it on your Wine prefix.
  • Extract the ppx in a temporary directory with the -e switch, e.g. wine ppexcli -e 20_3drooms_v18.ppx temp/
  • In the data/sets directory of your AA2 install, create a new directory. I prefer to name them after the ppx to better keep track of them, e.g., !20_3drooms_v18 (the ! at the beginning is necessary: it tells the game to activate the set; without it it would be inactive).
And that’s pretty much. A bit annoying but it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: belphabet

tiikerihai

Oct 22, 2022
  • It is a Windows programme but can be run with Wine. However, it requires the . Install it on your Wine prefix.
If you're using the dot net runtime anyway, why aren't you just running ppex AA2 in the first place? I believe it works, but I have no way of testing it or writing a guide since all hardware I have with Linux is too weak. Heroic games launcher might be easier to use with AA2 than Lutris, or so I've been told.

Gragt

Jun 10, 2023
If you're using the dot net runtime anyway, why aren't you just running ppex AA2 in the first place? I believe it works, but I have no way of testing it or writing a guide since all hardware I have with Linux is too weak. Heroic games launcher might be easier to use with AA2 than Lutris, or so I've been told.
Probably because I don’t know it. I only recently got into AA2 and I’m still sorting out the glorious mess of information available—often conflicting, e.g., ppexcli wasn’t in the extra folder of my Mini version (v14) and I had to hunt it down myself. I’m sure there is a better setup available but that’s how I’ve managed to make it work under Linux—I’m actually amazed I managed to get it to work at all!

In all honesty, if there is a better way to do things, feel free to educate me. I’m the kind of person who doesn’t want to pester others and prefers to figure things out on his own, which means I sometimes often usually get things wrong.

tiikerihai

Oct 22, 2022
PPeX mini is in the "Modern installation guide" linked in this thread several times and also in the OP post under "other sources". The page you'd normally download AA2Mini from also links to the download page of AA2MiniPPX with the notice that the regular AA2Mini is obsolete. Since you have version 14 of Mini which is the latest version that was released post PPX and seems unlikely to be stolen by some reupload site, I'd be very surprised if you didn't already see that link.

AA2Mini and AA2MiniPPX are different so that conflict isn't actually a conflict. In your case you've got information about one but are applying it to the other.

Snatched

May 25, 2020
That's because 0xC000007B is a Windows system level error. It means some dll component is damaged, it's not related to anything the game is doing, specially if it persists after re-extracting a fresh copy of the game from the AA2MiniPPX-Vxx.7z which is something you should have already tried. It's very hard to diagnose or provide step by step instructions to solve it, since a lot of different things can cause it including various viruses. The easiest thing you could attempt in order to try fixing it is reinstalling the requirements (vcredist, directx 9) and running Windows SFC. If it's not a serious system issue that would probably solve it.
Thanks for the encouragement and detailed explanation. I have already tried re-installing vcredist and direct x 9, but my OS won't let me install at least one of those because it says that "something newer has been installed, too bad. Halt." It's more than likely that my other (job-use) programs need the newere stuf so I don't want to yank all that. I do have an old beater Win 7 laptop that if hobby tome permits I may re-visit this someday, In the meantime Better Repack's KKS and HS2 both ran right out of the box, so paths of lesser resistance have been discovered.

VespidV

Dec 11, 2016
Ok, I searched in the post but without success...
Is there a way, or a module, to make two npc break up?
I don't know if there's a module but in the base game you can do that by going to one of them and spreading bad rumors about their lover and then doing it again for the lover if you're successful eventually they might break up if they end up hating each other enough. You could also do romantic interactions with one of them if their lover is nearby as that'll also lower their relationship and make it more likely for them to break up.

Reactions: freaksnake

Grim

Aug 17, 2016
Ok, I searched in the post but without success...
Is there a way, or a module, to make two npc break up?
I don't know if there's a module but in the base game you can do that by going to one of them and spreading bad rumors about their lover and then doing it again for the lover if you're successful eventually they might break up if they end up hating each other enough.
Adding the Credible and/or Eris modules to your character will also make the rumor spreading more effective.

Reactions: freaksnake

acezero99

Nov 18, 2020
Lately I have a bug where my chara is supposed to be following an NPC but they end up running in place while the NPC runs off, anyone have a clue on resolving this?

tiikerihai

Oct 22, 2022
I have already tried re-installing vcredist and direct x 9, but my OS won't let me install at least one of those because it says that "something newer has been installed, too bad. Halt." It's more than likely that my other (job-use) programs need the newere stuf so I don't want to yank all that.
Now I'm no expert, but I'm 99% sure that is not how Windows works at all. You either have the DLLs and they work or you don't. Microsoft keeps all their old cruft, it's even present in Win11. Not allowing you to install those packages again isn't abnormal but there is no scenario I've ever heard of where you have "newer version" and that'll cause it to malfunction. Doesn't sound like you ran Windows SFC (Microsoft has instructions for that), but you really should even if you don't plan to play this game ever. Since getting that error at all is a bad indicator for your system health and it's not the game that's causing it. It could have effects that you aren't aware of or which might hit you somewhere else.

I mean of course I could be wrong since I never get these errors and perhaps it's possible for you to get them even without anything being busted, but it seems unlikely that it's normal.

ChronoDono

Mar 13, 2023
Been having some issues with certain mod chars where the legs look weird? It's like they're overlapping with thigh highs and they gain an extra pair of shoes. Been tryna research on how to fix this but no luck yet, that's why I'm asking here

VespidV

Dec 11, 2016
Been having some issues with certain mod chars where the legs look weird? It's like they're overlapping with thigh highs and they gain an extra pair of shoes. Been tryna research on how to fix this but no luck yet, that's why I'm asking here
Are you changing the clothes the creator gave them? Because if so that's probably due to them using the chubby or thin body types for the card but some clothes only work for the default body type and will cause the legs to look weird if you use one of the other two body types with said clothes. If not maybe try seeing if you can find another version of the card maybe the one you have is messed up somehow?

ChronoDono

Mar 13, 2023
Are you changing the clothes the creator gave them? Because if so that's probably due to them using the chubby or thin body types for the card but some clothes only work for the default body type and will cause the legs to look weird if you use one of the other two body types with said clothes. If not maybe try seeing if you can find another version of the card maybe the one you have is messed up somehow?
I leave them unchanged, it's actually usually the more popular mod cards that have this problem, and having to settle for lesser versions (if they exist) kinda ruins the experience

dmmt

May 8, 2020
my gawd....unplayable lag on a 6 month old 5800X3D wuth 32g 3200 DDR4 and a 6700XT. I mean, click a button, count to 5, and MAYBE...something will happen. Move the mouse, count 5 and MAYBE the cursor will respond.

freaksnake

Sep 22, 2018
Adding the Credible and/or Eris modules to your character will also make the rumor spreading more effective.
I don't know if there's a module but in the base game you can do that by going to one of them and spreading bad rumors about their lover and then doing it again for the lover if you're successful eventually they might break up if they end up hating each other enough. You could also do romantic interactions with one of them if their lover is nearby as that'll also lower their relationship and make it more likely for them to break up.
Thank you guys, i'll try that.

ChronoDono

Mar 13, 2023
This is the Issue I'm having, it's only limited to certain characters that I've downloaded
It's usually the more popular chars that have this problem, so I'm assuming it's an override or something that they're using, that I'm missing in the files. Since those chars wouldn't be popular if everyone had this problem

4.70 star(s) 17 Votes