Ren'Py Abandoned Automaton Story [v0.1.2] [AngryFur]

4.20 star(s) 23 Votes

ttt111111

Jul 7, 2018
got a problem with the patch. after you apply it, the hints break. sister hint doesn't show up because of a string name or some shit

solid_snake

Apr 5, 2018
got a problem with the patch. after you apply it, the hints break. sister hint doesn't show up because of a string name or some shit
What hint? In the beginning of the story? That doesn't show until you pick up the automaton... Or does that happen later on?

-S

solid_snake

Apr 5, 2018
ask her on saturday when shes sitting in the living room
That's not entirely correct. She can be asked whenever (as long as she's not absent or in the morning routine), but you have to give her the book and talk to Karl twice beforehand.

-S

sasuke25

Jul 23, 2017
can someone help me with the book "My Story" \ "Characters" it says "Sister [sischatershowttint]" and Automaton says [chapter.showttint] what does all this mean and how can you see it

fulcrum

Engaged Member
Feb 2, 2018
can someone help me with the book "My Story" \ "Characters" it says "Sister [sischatershowttint]" and Automaton says [chapter.showttint] what does all this mean and how can you see it
its a bug. seems its a script error because of incest patch

solid_snake

Apr 5, 2018
Can someone provide a screenshot? Is this on Android?

Edit: I looked at the code, and from what I saw this has nothing to do with the patch. It seems that it writes the variables aren't parsed. Unfortunately, I cannot replicate this. Therefore, screenshots, and any further details are definitely welcome.

-S

Last edited:

Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Looking very promising, I love the animated scenes. I pledged, and would, just want to see more. I think this could be huge project. I want to see the story develop for sure, I think it could be... a little better edited in the delivery. I have my own issues with that I know haha, but I see more potential here than a lot of projects.

Some gameplay minigames might be nice too.

sasuke25

Jul 23, 2017
Can someone provide a screenshot? Is this on Android?

Edit: I looked at the code, and from what I saw this has nothing to do with the patch. It seems that it writes the variables aren't parsed. Unfortunately, I cannot replicate this. Therefore, screenshots, and any further details are definitely welcome.

-S
once made a screenshot

Neko_Kun

Game Developer
Feb 1, 2018
The assumption is that that bug is related to using an old save. Some versions are compatible, whilst others are not, it depends on the content of the update itself. It's hard to say for sure.
a little better edited in the delivery
I'm curious if you have any examples where you could see improvements being made in the 'delivery' ?

solid_snake

Apr 5, 2018
The assumption is that that bug is related to using an old save.
This assumption is incorrect. There are two parts of this bug:
First part is within the script itself, where the next chapter for a certain person is pushed. Where exactly does that occur, I don't know, but it really doesn't matter at this point. And yes, I did managed to get that through a normal playthrough (fresh start), unfortunately, I missed the exact point where that happened.

The second part is a little simpler: The method that's rendering hints is missing a safeguard in case if the chapter number had been pushed out of bounds. The hint text doesn't render because Python throws a KeyError exception.

-S

Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
The assumption is that that bug is related to using an old save. Some versions are compatible, whilst others are not, it depends on the content of the update itself. It's hard to say for sure.

I'm curious if you have any examples where you could see improvements being made in the 'delivery' ?
Uhmm well essentially... let's see here.

1585614410718.png

This isn't that bad and not the best example. I'm going to keep it largely in-tact but change the grammar slightly;

Gavin and Holly live alone. They only have their mother, who lives away from home due to work. She regularly sends money home, occasionally visiting for short periods to check up on the (two(siblings)).
So, the only thing I've really done is changing the tense of "had" to "have" since everything else is in the present test. So for a more natural English reader, it can create a bit of a pause/chop to read the tense change unless it is something like active past tense. But in this case it makes it sound like they no longer have their mother before stating she is still in the picture. Changing "but" to "who" is more just giving her more presence as a person.

Visiting is more me just liking Shakespearian writing and viewing it more as the act of someone who visits. And for the "the two/siblings" thing gives them their agency too and a bit more connection. But it's little things like this which can lead to a person tripping over words as they read it and making it more exhausting to read. You want that flow;

1585615264314.png

An issue this has is it's a little too sticky too, and it has a lot of transitions. It's a bit of a run-on as well... this would be a bit hard to read on the Flesh-Kincaid scale. Let's remove some transitions and at least 2 commas.

While Holly studies at school, Gavin apprentices under their late father’s old friend at the local robotics factory. Here he hopes to realize his lifelong dream of building and repairing the android beings known as Automatons.
1585658820524.png

I don't like that old timer. He stares at me in a weird way...
The person seems like they might speak English as a second language, but they are VERY good at English! Like... very good at English, but they just need a little push to localize and make things feel a bit more natural in terms of dialogue. Some slang, some turns of phrase, in the dialogue he needs to actually be LESS accurate haha. But still, I love this game so far I just hope readability gets a bit improved.

Reactions: solid_snake
4.20 star(s) 23 Votes