4.20 star(s) 109 Votes

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
I thought I'd give you guys an update with the progress of Act 4. Working on this act has been a bit ambitious and I've run into some snags. I feel like I've mostly worked out the issues and we're on track for a mid to late March release.

For this release, I wanted to focus on the main complaints from the first three Acts. I believe one of the main issues was the lack of choices. I've gone back through to add some spice with extra choices but notably, I've added another path for each Octavia and Dallas. You'll now be able to choose either Monogamy or Polygamy. Now, keep in mind, this game was designed with Polygamy being the main and true path. But by the end of Avalon, I hope to have a fully fleshed out and realized Monogamy path. This makes four total paths and that can mean a lot of additional scenes required. I'll consider Avalon a Visual Novel instead of a Kinetic Novel after this update.

Another concern was realism in the case of Avalon's trauma. The monogamy path will be more realistic while the polygamy path may feel like a stretch. However, Polygamy will have more erotic scenes. Monogamy will be a slower burn. I'm also adding an option to skip the scene with Byron, Avalon and the vibrator for those that feel it unbalanced the pace of the story.

Which brings me to the sexual content. I've added, and am working on adding, enough to this Act so it'll be worth playing if you're just here for the sexy stuff. I'm adding animations but they're not going to be top notch due simply to lack of resources. It takes about forty minutes per frame and there's already going to be a pretty crazy amount of renders for this Act. I'm doing my best!

With that said, I've completed about seven scenes. That puts me at a little less than half way done. Depending on what I decide to add, I have plans for another ten to thirteen scenes. There's a lot going on in this Act. We've even added a few new characters you'll get to meet. So I hope you'll hang in there and join me for the next act when it's finally brought to fruition.

Thank you for your support!

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Started the game and overall I liked the first chapter. This is a game I plan to continue playing.
I liked the character development and dealing with the realities of assault on the girl's psyche. I liked the female characters, and the Sherlock Holmes-esque analysis of the male character by the librarian. Dallas in a cutie.
There is obviously a reference age range for this game, in that Justin Bieiber reference (I honestly don't think I have ever heard anything he has done and don't intend to by choice) and the circle game leap to mind.
I don't understand why the dev took the time to add an image of the character in the dialogue text. Their names would seem to be sufficient. Some devs use mini-character portraits as a method of portraying character emotions without having to render extra images, but thankfully Lockheart does not do this, the dev creates plenty of images to convey character expressions.
Overall a good game, but I do find the giant image bubbles distracting.

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Started the game and overall I liked the first chapter. This is a game I plan to continue playing.
I liked the character development and dealing with the realities of assault on the girl's psyche. I liked the female characters, and the Sherlock Holmes-esque analysis of the male character by the librarian. Dallas in a cutie.
There is obviously a reference age range for this game, in that Justin Bieiber reference (I honestly don't think I have ever heard anything he has done and don't intend to by choice) and the circle game leap to mind.
I don't understand why the dev took the time to add an image of the character in the dialogue text. Their names would seem to be sufficient. Some devs use mini-character portraits as a method of portraying character emotions without having to render extra images, but thankfully Lockheart does not do this, the dev creates plenty of images to convey character expressions.
Overall a good game, but I do find the giant image bubbles distracting.
I'm so glad you like it so far! If you liked the Sherlock Holmes vibe, I introduce a character later who is a Detective. We'll come to understand the private detective a bit more in Act 4.

I've had a few negative responses about the portraits next to the text. I'll consider shrinking them but they were supposed to be more significant. In Act 4, for example, we'll see a certain portrait hint at something. And they were supposed to change Act to Act but I haven't implemented that yet, and may not.

Thanks for giving it a try. I hope you enjoy the rest of it! :D

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Then I'm definitely putting this on my play first list.
BTY how did you create the effect of the guy in the book shop blurring? Is this a ren'py code option?

Reactions: Lockheart

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Then I'm definitely putting this on my play first list.
BTY how did you create the effect of the guy in the book shop blurring? Is this a ren'py code option?
Nope, it’s the depth of field effect. Cameras in Daz3D actually have an option attached to them that allow you to get a very nice Bokeh effect. Most people that know about it go a little crazy with it. I tend to use it only when there’s a lot of distractions in the background and I want you to focus on the character.

badnboujee

Jun 6, 2017
Lockheart Great work so far! Avalon is an absolutely adorable model! I read that you were considering shifting from a kinetic novel to full-on visual novel in your last status update. Any thoughts about adding a way to let the player rename Byron? Might add more to the visual novel aspect. Also, you could think about a petname system, where the player can add a nickname for the love interests to call the MC during lewd scenes.

Either way, these requests aren't really dealbreakers for me, and I'd love to play this regardless. Looking forward to seeing how the story continues!

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Lockheart Great work so far! Avalon is an absolutely adorable model! I read that you were considering shifting from a kinetic novel to full-on visual novel in your last status update. Any thoughts about adding a way to let the player rename Byron? Might add more to the visual novel aspect. Also, you could think about a petname system, where the player can add a nickname for the love interests to call the MC during lewd scenes.

Either way, these requests aren't really dealbreakers for me, and I'd love to play this regardless. Looking forward to seeing how the story continues!
I've certainly considered the option to rename characters. Visual Novels that do that usually hide the MCs face and do a lot of camera shots as from the point of view of the MC. For Avalon, and probably most of my work, we won't necessarily be putting the player in the shoes of the MC. You'll be witnessing a story, not living it. And I know that might not be desirable for everyone. But I really want the main character to have their own personality and facial expressions. I want to breath life into the MC as if he were a real person, not necessarily 'The Player'. It's a tricky position, to be sure. Depending on how this type of VN is received, I might switch later on.

I'm so glad you're enjoying it! I love the Nickname idea, I might try that. Avalon jokingly calls Byron 'Master' in Act 4. It's pretty cute. So for sure, it might be awesome if he was like "Oh yes, call me by a nickname more often. But instead, use _______." I like it! We'll see!

I hope you'll try out Act 4 when it releases next month. Thanks again for playing! :D

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Will D be making a cameo?
That's tricky! I thought about making a cute little render with Avalon and D hanging out together. I'm very inspired by Mr.Dots and his work. I wanted a romance that would be as compelling, or more so, than DMD. But I'm also aiming at more than just a romance. I think the next Act will really show my true intentions with Avalon. There's a lot of surprises, thrills and suspense coming.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is while I deeply respect Mr.Dots, I'm also trying to separate myself from other artists. With so many games being so similar on this site, I want to branch out and tell very unique and interesting stories. Avalon was really built as a practice game. Moving forward, we'll see very unique stories.

But I do think a D and Avalon render would be a lot of fun to make. Who knows, maybe I'll give it a try. :)

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
D could always appear as a model on an add poster in a clothing store.
I think you are doing a good job so far with your story.
Topless Dallas in the first chapter was a definite plus.
Definitely a game worth playing.

Last edited:

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I was wondering why Avalon's mother looked so frumpy?
Over the years I have worked with quite a few women who have substance abuse problems. Most of them were still very attractive, which is how naive guys seem to get pulled into their world for a while.
I also like how the self-defense class was realistically handled. The fact that a girl weights less than a hundred pounds is going to impede her ability in a fight with only basic training.

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
I was wondering why Avalon's mother looked so frumpy?
Over the years I have worked with quite a few women who have substance abuse problems. Most of them were still very attractive, which is how naive guys seem to get pulled into their world for a while.
I also like how the self-defense class was realistically handled. The fact that a girl weights less than a hundred pounds is going to impede her ability in a fight with only basic training.
It's funny you should mention Sharol. We're going to see her again soon and get to know her a bit better. When I was younger, I met a girl who was very attractive. I was actually a bit smitten with her. And I remember how odd it was that her mother looked... well, a bit like Sharol actually. So I guess that might have influenced that decision.

I'm glad you liked the fighting training! We'll see a bit more fighting in the next Act. I actually planned for Octavia to teach Avalon about firearms but I simply couldn't find a scene for it. If you haven't played the Octavia route, it's also very good. :)

Reactions: Ludvinae

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I started the Octavia route but Dallas was too much of a distraction not to focus on her. The prospect of Avalon+Dallas was too much of a lure. lol
Is Dallas in the Octavia route?
Maybe arm Avalon with police grade pepper spray? I have a good friend who is a pistol instructor and proper training takes a lot of time and thousands of rounds of ammo.
IMO so far so good with the game. I like how the uncle was adopted so any issues (like with D and her daddy) with him and Avalon were nullified. And he is a red-headed stepchild.
Any chance of Avalon or Dallas in kawaii kitty outfits?

EvilChef

Sep 23, 2016
I started the Octavia route but Dallas was too much of a distraction not to focus on her. The prospect of Avalon+Dallas was too much of a lure. lol
Maybe arm Avalon with police grade pepper spray? I have a good friend who is a pistol instructor and proper training takes a lot of time and thousands of rounds of ammo.
IMO so far so good with the game. I like how the uncle was adopted so any issues (like with D and her daddy) with him and Avalon were nullified. And he is a red-headed stepchild.
Any chance of Avalon or Dallas in kawaii kitty outfits?
Nah Dallas and Octavia are 2 separate routes, unless Lockheart changes that down the line. Personally i prefer Octavia, but that's just my preference. Dallas is a lovely fiery kitten. Octavia kinda radiates calmness more.

Last edited:
Reactions: blastwave2k

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
I started the Octavia route but Dallas was too much of a distraction not to focus on her. The prospect of Avalon+Dallas was to much of a lure. lol
Dallas is gorgeous, for sure. I assumed most people would choose her route. But Octavia certainly has her own charm.

The routes don't cross. I don't have any plans for them to cross right now.

Well, Avalon isn't a combatant. She's more of the type that needs protected, not the type to fight. She's kind of the princess in the tower, you know? She needs rescued.

But that doesn't mean firearm training can't be an activity for Octavia and Avalon to bond over. We'll see.

Reactions: RustyV

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Buying the toy for Avalon must have been awkward for her uncle. :D

4.20 star(s) 109 Votes