RPGM Aylia's Story [v0.11] [YummyTiger]

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes

YummyTiger

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2017
Hey Yummy.

Is the new Patreon release getting a public version or should we wait until february's update?

And yes, my dudes. There was a new release for Patreons. Go wild or something.
No, this is an playable update not a new version release. Going forward, I'm planning to put out an update every month for patrons. When there is enough new content to warrant an actual release, then I'll run a pledged release. That is something I will probably make public. I'm hoping the February update qualifies, but my track record isn't exactly the strongest in that regard.

Dalurker

Apr 11, 2018
No, this is an playable update not a new version release. Going forward, I'm planning to put out an update every month for patrons. When there is enough new content to warrant an actual release, then I'll run a pledged release. That is something I will probably make public. I'm hoping the February update qualifies, but my track record isn't exactly the strongest in that regard.
Still, you are building towards it. At last! Looking forward to the rest of the year.

Kudos for the first real update in ages!

locomotor79

Oct 2, 2016
hee yummy keep going and i also know you are also reworking from VX Ace to MV which is also hard
since not every thing you put in VX ace is compatible whit MV

ea3794

Modder
Mar 30, 2018
hee yummy keep going and i also know you are also reworking from VX Ace to MV which is also hard
since not every thing you put in VX ace is compatible whit MV
Not compatible is an understatement. Been trying to port something from VX Ace to MZ for fun... boy, there's a lot of fun to be had. Its possible to do but... every plugin means you'll need to rewrite that plugin from scratch.

Reactions: Feyd and TheByQ

YummyTiger

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2017
Not compatible is an understatement. Been trying to port something from VX Ace to MZ for fun... boy, there's a lot of fun to be had. Its possible to do but... every plugin means you'll need to rewrite that plugin from scratch.
This is true, but the ability to go beyond 640x480 and the tilesets available make it worth it. Been a pain in the ass though.

Holy shit. this vaporware is still going on? this game didn't happen, it will NEVER happen. don't be fooled guys. he's been doing this for 10 years. Overpromising and never developed. Same damn sparse no content demo from back then. Yummytiger - hang up the towel dude and just stop this shit for good.
Cool, but I think I'll pass on that. I still have plenty of support on Patreon, so I think I'll instead try to move forward with monthly updates. I look forward to proving you wrong.

Last edited:

ea3794

Modder
Mar 30, 2018
This is true, but the ability to go beyond 640x480 and the tilesets available make it worth it. Been a pain in the ass though.
There's hacks that let VX Ace go past 640x480 though performance goes down exponentially. After all, its a 2D blitter with zero hardware acceleration. MZ is 3D accelerated though its best to avoid changing individual sprite pixels or you'll risk stalling the GPU with texture updates.

I have a script that does 99% of the conversion work automatically, I can let it loose on the latest available download if you like?

Reactions: Feyd

YummyTiger

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2017
There's hacks that let VX Ace go past 640x480 though performance goes down exponentially. After all, its a 2D blitter with zero hardware acceleration. MZ is 3D accelerated though its best to avoid changing individual sprite pixels or you'll risk stalling the GPU with texture updates.

I have a script that does 99% of the conversion work automatically, I can let it loose on the latest available download if you like?
I tried the hacks, they didn't really work well and were super unstable. For the script, are you talking about one that takes VX Ace to MV/MZ? I've already done most of that now, I did run a script early on but it merely moved maps/events/database, etc. You still were left with doing all the work to migrate plugins to JS, upscale artwork appropriately, fix eventing that was broken between versions. The script was helpful, although I ended up just redoing all the maps to the new tilesets since they looked nicer and it was a bit jarring having some in new tilesets and others in old.

ea3794

Modder
Mar 30, 2018
I tried the hacks, they didn't really work well and were super unstable. For the script, are you talking about one that takes VX Ace to MV/MZ? I've already done most of that now, I did run a script early on but it merely moved maps/events/database, etc. You still were left with doing all the work to migrate plugins to JS, upscale artwork appropriately, fix eventing that was broken between versions. The script was helpful, although I ended up just redoing all the maps to the new tilesets since they looked nicer and it was a bit jarring having some in new tilesets and others in old.
I made a hack once for XP by patching the rpgmaker DLL itself in-memory at runtime in order to upscale while blitting (instead of blitting twice). I thought Enterbrain would only blit their backbuffer once like a normal person but for whatever reason the screen was divided into five horizontal bars. I will never know why they did that. The amount of DRM in that DLL made modifications hard to do as there's several encrypted code pages that are decrypted one at a time and many other anti-debugger methods.

Anyways I digress, yes my script converts Ruby bytecode from VX Ace directly to JSON suitable for MZ. It tracks used assets as it goes and upscales / transcodes everything at once. The result is a playable game tho there will be some visible seams as scaling by 150% simply cannot be done perfectly. You would almost think Enterbrain did that on purpose... Better results might be possible by using a custom scaler though I haven't tried. It also replaces various game-specific script commands and command arguments which is probably less useful for general conversion.

YummyTiger

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2017
Anyways I digress, yes my script converts Ruby bytecode from VX Ace directly to JSON suitable for MZ. It tracks used assets as it goes and upscales / transcodes everything at once. The result is a playable game tho there will be some visible seams as scaling by 150% simply cannot be done perfectly. You would almost think Enterbrain did that on purpose... Better results might be possible by using a custom scaler though I haven't tried. It also replaces various game-specific script commands and command arguments which is probably less useful for general conversion.
Wow, that's awesome. I've already done most of the conversion from VX Ace to MV. The version posted in this thread is about 4 short alphas behind at this point. Though, if your script can convert ruby scripts to json plugins, that would be amazing. There are still a couple old scripts that I have been unable to find replacements for. I'll shoot you a PM.

TheByQ - Appreciate the sentiment. That's my argument as well, but I do get why people are frustrated. Hope at some point I can renew that excitement for the game you had years ago. I still play games pretty avidly and I still feel there are not very many game which fit the vision I'm going for in Aylia's Story. Anyways, there was an update in January, there will be an update (hopefully a release) in February. They'll be another in March. I figure eventually, the people who seem to get satisfaction in seeing this fail will just move on.

Azope

Jul 26, 2017
Tbh I looked for the longest on hold forum just to read the comments, and I have struck gold
to be fair the only reason it only on onhold and not abandoned tag is because the autor don t collecte money and beccause claim to soon update

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes