Novilon

Feb 8, 2021
Well.. goddamnit. Okay, it does appear that "rings" isn't being restored correctly. I'm not sure why I didn't see this behavior before, but it's definitely doing it now. It looks like there might be something fishy about the way that particular statistic is being handled in the "inventory" data structure, and it's being reinitialized to its starting state of "0" instead of inheriting the value from the save file.

Since fivesteaks wrote the new saved-state-restoring code, I've pinged him over on the discord to see if he can help me debug it.

F---ing Renpy. :mad: (Or possibly, f---ing Python, depending on what the ultimate cause turns out to be.)

Reactions: Schmuley Goldstein

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
Thanks for these. I'll dig into it and see if I can figure out what's going on here.
Not a problem.

Though i have to admit that I hadn't noticed your signature at the bottom until just now :) It made me laugh, because my IT friend bitches about that exact thing.

Reactions: rageaholic

Kruggov

Jun 8, 2020
I don't know if it was said before, but you lose all rings whenever you load the game, regardlesss of if the save was from previous version or not. I have loaded a save made right at the start of 0.3.4 and I had 0 rings.

EDIT: Apparently this only happens once. After I used the cheat laptop to get those rings back, saved and reloaded the game, the rings stayed. When I tested by replaying the opening, cheating the rings, saving and reloading, the rings again dropped to 0 after first reload, but not any subsequent reloads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunjoman

Novilon

Feb 8, 2021
I don't know if it was said before, but you lose all rings whenever you load the game
Yes, it's been mentioned, about 6 posts back. It's being investigated; there's something funny about the way that particular variable is saved and reloaded vs. the way the rest of them are.

cumolok

Jan 8, 2022
so no android save yet? damn. hoping for it by the next update. also didnt u say there was an outdated android version? maybe you could just post that one for now? outdated better then nothing yk

Novilon

Feb 8, 2021
Not a problem.

Though i have to admit that I hadn't noticed your signature at the bottom until just now :) It made me laugh, because my IT friend bitches about that exact thing.
Okay, so I tested a fix against the save files you sent, and it seems to work -- but before I declare it fixed, I just want to confirm... did you really have 4980 rings in those saved games? That seems a little... excessive.

Novilon

Feb 8, 2021
So during your time developing BSC, have you determined why the game keeps getting abandoned?
I don't think there's any one reason for it.

Why did Aval0nX abandon the original Flash version all those years ago? Who knows. But given his... mercurial and abrasive personality, shall we say, there could be any number of scenarios where he pissed someone off, or someone else pissed him off, and he eventually said "screw it."

Protofan didn't really "abandon" his port; he said all along that his only goal was to port the game over from Flash — support for which was being, or had already been, removed from most major browsers, and was about to be killed off by Adobe itself — to an open platform like Renpy so the game would survive in some form. It was never his intention to continue developing it himself.

FuzzyBunny23... no one knows. He just stopped logging in to F95zone or to his own discord, and no one has seen/heard from him for over a year now. Could've been an auto accident, could've been some kind of medical issue (heart attack?)... or, maybe he joined a Trappist monastery and took a vow of silence.

Also what's up with the 30kb/s download speed for Mega?
I don't know. I have no control over what Mega does. (Or over any of the other file-hosting services, for that matter.)

Last edited:

Viperious

Nov 18, 2021
Weak.

Also I don't think he's actually given up on it. He still does regular streams and the art work tends to be related to Sonic and Cream and usually has a BSC logo plastered on it. He posts the artwork in batches at random times on his Inbkunny.

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
Okay, so I tested a fix against the save files you sent, and it seems to work -- but before I declare it fixed, I just want to confirm... did you really have 4980 rings in those saved games? That seems a little... excessive.
No clue. Can't remember how many rings I had. Just that I had them.

Novilon

Feb 8, 2021
Well, those are the only answers I have. Sorry if you were hoping for some blockbuster exposé full of behind-the-scenes intrigue and shocking revelations of greed and betrayal, I guess.

Also I don't think he's actually given up on it. He still does regular streams and the art work tends to be related to Sonic and Cream and usually has a BSC logo plastered on it. He posts the artwork in batches at random times on his Inbkunny.
He also gets salty and surly if anyone actually asks him about it, and to my knowledge, no one has actually seen any hint of the new version he's supposedly working on, other than the stream art he occasionally posts to Inkbunny. So who knows.

joe nemo

May 6, 2018
Well, those are the only answers I have. Sorry if you were hoping for some blockbuster exposé full of behind-the-scenes intrigue and shocking revelations of greed and betrayal, I guess.

He also gets salty and surly if anyone actually asks him about it, and to my knowledge, no one has actually seen any hint of the new version he's supposedly working on, other than the stream art he occasionally posts to Inkbunny. So who knows.
I got the impression from following Avalons streams that that the writers life is kind of a train wreck, he worked in some kind of restaurant or catering field and COV-19 kind of killed that. He also seems to have bitten off more than he could handle and is struggling with hundreds of pages of dialog.

Shark_inA-chiar

Sep 22, 2020
I don't think there's any one reason for it.

Why did Aval0nX abandon the original Flash version all those years ago? Who knows. But given his... mercurial and abrasive personality, shall we say, there could be any number of scenarios where he pissed someone off, or someone else pissed him off, and he eventually said "screw it."

Protofan didn't really "abandon" his port; he said all along that his only goal was to port the game over from Flash — support for which was being, or had already been, removed from most major browsers, and was about to be killed off by Adobe itself — to an open platform like Renpy so the game would survive in some form. It was never his intention to continue developing it himself.

FuzzyBunny23... no one knows. He just stopped logging in to F95zone or to his own discord, and no one has seen/heard from him for over a year now. Could've been an auto accident, could've been some kind of medical issue (heart attack?)... or, maybe he joined a Trappist monastery and took a vow of silence.

I don't know. I have no control over what Mega does. (Or over any of the other file-hosting services, for that matter.)
wait so are you makeing the game your self or are you just adding art and stuff from them or what?"

Jul 13, 2020
I got the impression from following Avalons streams that that the writers life is kind of a train wreck, he worked in some kind of restaurant or catering field and COV-19 kind of killed that. He also seems to have bitten off more than he could handle and is struggling with hundreds of pages of dialog.
In all honesty, half the appeal of this game is that you can do things in almost any order, with almost every scene playing out a little differently depending on what you have or haven't already done. It's an insane number of combinations to write out and far too much for any one person to actually fluff out.

Reactions: DesertRider89

Novilon

Feb 8, 2021
wait so are you makeing the game your self or are you just adding art and stuff from them or what?"
Literally answered on the first post in this thread, under "Developer Notes:"

Developer Notes
:
This version of Babysitting Cream has been forked from FuzzyBunny23's v0.3.1 release of the "FuzzyBunny-Mod Ren'py Port", which in turn is based on Protofan's 2020 Ren'Py port of the Aval0nX Flash game from 2013. Since FuzzyBunny23 hasn't been seen in some time, I hope to pick up where he left off and continue development in his absence.
Back when Fuzzy was still working on his version, I'd volunteered to help with some of the rewrites, and eventually I submitted a whole pack of changes for him to merge into it (which, at the time, was basically about half of what's listed in the changelog under "v0.3.2"). We exchanged a couple more messages after that — and then, like I said above, he suddenly dropped out of sight. After several months without anyone having heard from him or even seeing him log in anywhere, I decided to package up all of the new material I'd come up with — the stuff I'd already given to Fuzzy, and a bunch more I'd worked on after that — and do a release myself, changing the title to "Betamix Edition" (a pun on "Betamax", which I'm old enough to remember :geek: ) to differentiate it from Fuzzy's.

In all honesty, half the appeal of this game is that you can do things in almost any order, with almost every scene playing out a little differently depending on what you have or haven't already done. It's an insane number of combinations to write out and far too much for any one person to actually fluff out.
It's a lot to go through, to be sure. Like any large project, you have to break it down into manageable chunks and work on one piece at a time; trying to take on the whole thing at once will just overwhelm you and you'll never get anything done.

but before I declare it fixed, I just want to confirm... did you really have 4980 rings in those saved games?
No clue. Can't remember how many rings I had. Just that I had them.
Well, I tried those same save files against v0.3.3, and they come up with 4980 rings there, too, so I guess you really did have that many when you made those saves. You must've gone into the cheat menu and mashed the "get 1000 rings" button a few times. :)

Reactions: arglblargl

Novilon

Feb 8, 2021
OK -- game updated to v0.3.4.1, as a "hotfix" for the game-loading bug that was resetting some people's ring counts to "0".

Fortunately, it wasn't a complicated fix -- so if you've already downloaded v0.3.4, you don't need to re-download the whole game; just apply this patch:
(works with either mac or PC)

To install the patch, go to the folder where you installed BSC originally, go into the /game folder underneath it, then delete the following files:
options.rpy
options.rpyc
items.rpy
items.rpyc

Then, copy the options.rpy and items.rpy from this patch file into the /game directory. (Renpy will rebuild their .rpyc counterparts when you run the game again.)

If you do not have v0.3.4 already, then just download the v0.3.4.1 game in full from the links in the first post, as usual.

Bunjoman

Aug 31, 2020
If Avalonx ever puts out his mysterious update, will you cheekily drag and drop the new stuff over? Or will a new split game dev era start?

4.50 star(s) 4 Votes