applepie68

Feb 5, 2018
This is the first time I've seen someone say to use a file hashing tool. I don't really understand hashing but why is it that this game prompted the need to check the hash?

thetaprime

Jun 26, 2022
This is the first time I've seen someone say to use a file hashing tool. I don't really understand hashing but why is it that this game prompted the need to check the hash?
If you have the software to calculate the "hash" of the file you download, you can compare it to the hash that Novilon posts on page 1 by the download links. If the zip you download does not have the matching hash it is a different file and could be/contain malware. Notice there are different types of hashes but you really only need to check one.

Depending on which file hosting service is used sometimes a fake window opens with a fake download, probably adware or malicious sodtware. I have seen this happen with uploadhaven for example. I ignored it and tried again until I got the genuine download. I don't know who's responsible for this kind of deception; probably the file hosting service imho.

Recently I have better ad blockers, etc. that prevent this but it is still a good idea to check. Even before though I knew how to look for the genuine download and avoid the fake ones. And if you do find a fake file, please don't blame Novilon since he has no control over the evil nasties at the file hosting sites.

thetaprime

Jun 26, 2022
By the way: Mega, Mediafire, and Gofile usually seem pretty safe from my experince. My favorite is Pixeldrain to the extent that I support them on Patreon. Even in free mode, Pixeldrain offers 20 GB of free download per week.

Mixdrop seems to be a little iffy but the trick is to ignore/block any extra windows that Mixdrop tries to open. I just did a test and I had to click on the Mixdrop green download button 4 time to get the download to start. The third time there was a countdown and I waited then clicked to get the real thing started.

Also, all 4 times a new window tried to open that my security software blocked. These extra windows have nothing to do with the actual download.

Jul 13, 2020
I'm starting to think a lot of y'all are running without any kind of ad-blockers or anti-malware plugins in your browsers, or something. I have the uBlock Origin plugin installed in Firefox in all of my PCs, and I never see the kind of popups and redirects from these file-hosting sites that you guys keep complaining of.

In any case — this sort of thing is the reason why I provided the MD5 and SHA file signatures. After you download the file, but before you try to run or install it, use a file-hashing tool like or to calculate the signatures of the file you just downloaded, and compare the hashes to the ones I posted. If they match, then you've gotten the correct file and you're good to go; if they do not match, then something's wrong and the file should not be opened or installed.

applepie68

Feb 5, 2018
If you have the software to calculate the "hash" of the file you download, you can compare it to the hash that Novilon posts on page 1 by the download links. If the zip you download does not have the matching hash it is a different file and could be/contain malware. Notice there are different types of hashes but you really only need to check one.

Depending on which file hosting service is used sometimes a fake window opens with a fake download, probably adware or malicious sodtware. I have seen this happen with uploadhaven for example. I ignored it and tried again until I got the genuine download. I don't know who's responsible for this kind of deception; probably the file hosting service imho.

Recently I have better ad blockers, etc. that prevent this but it is still a good idea to check. Even before though I knew how to look for the genuine download and avoid the fake ones. And if you do find a fake file, please don't blame Novilon since he has no control over the evil nasties at the file hosting sites.
By the way: Mega, Mediafire, and Gofile usually seem pretty safe from my experince. My favorite is Pixeldrain to the extent that I support them on Patreon. Even in free mode, Pixeldrain offers 20 GB of free download per week.

Mixdrop seems to be a little iffy but the trick is to ignore/block any extra windows that Mixdrop tries to open. I just did a test and I had to click on the Mixdrop green download button 4 time to get the download to start. The third time there was a countdown and I waited then clicked to get the real thing started.

Also, all 4 times a new window tried to open that my security software blocked. These extra windows have nothing to do with the actual download.
I see that explains it I use to have pop ups and werid downloads but I would always delete them without opening as they didn't match the file size. Then I got unblocker and stopped seeing them. I understand now that he is just trying to watch out for us and it is good practice to compare hash. I understood the hash was sum sort of identifier though the question it does raise is what is a hash and what is preventing something from just copying the hash. Also how would I be able to check the hash if its not posted?

On an unrelated not I heard apple with ios 14 started checking the hash of photos on phones what's up with that and how does it tie into the whole hash thing. I don't want them going through my phone ( I turned off icloud since apparently its linked to that)

PS Yeah PixelDrain is amazing I used to always use Nopy but its gone so now I use pixel drain. Mega seems to leave large files on my browser though as I once had to clean up about 4GBs though I don't know where they were stored so I don't know how to manually clean them again.

Jul 13, 2020
I understood the hash was sum sort of identifier though the question it does raise is what is a hash and what is preventing something from just copying the hash. Also how would I be able to check the hash if its not posted?

On an unrelated not I heard apple with ios 14 started checking the hash of photos on phones what's up with that and how does it tie into the whole hash thing. I don't want them going through my phone ( I turned off icloud since apparently its linked to that)
This is the sort of thing a google search will help you with there. tl;dr it's an algorithm to generate a very large number from all the bytes in a file, in such a way that the number will be different for different files, or if the file has been altered. It's not purely for security, it's how lots of big file downloaders verify that they've downloaded everything correctly (such as how torrents work, or Steam game file validation)

You can always run various hashing programs on your own files to find their hash numbers, but if someone else doesn't tell you what it should be, it's not meaningful on it's own. All that matters is that it matches what the sender tells you it should be.

Novilon

Feb 8, 2021
I understood the hash was sum sort of identifier though the question it does raise is what is a hash and what is preventing something from just copying the hash. Also how would I be able to check the hash if its not posted?
Pretty much what Temp79325783985987 says, above. The "hash", or "file signature", is a cryptographic algorithm which calculates the number by running the entire contents of the file through a complex mathematical formula. (It's similar to the way that encryption keys are calculated for HTTPS encryption.) The formula, and the calculation process, is designed in such a way that it would be extremely difficult -- as in, "several weeks' worth of effort with a massive supercomputer array" difficult -- to alter the original file in such a way that "hashing" the altered version would still result in precisely the same signature.

If the hash for something you downloaded isn't posted by the original uploader, then you can't really check it. As Temp says, you can calculate the hash yourself, but the number is meaningless unless you know what it should be, and only the person who originally created and posted the file can tell you that.

I just started doing it because I kept getting complaints from people who would click one of the links, run whatever the file-sharing host sent them, then complain about "your energy.exe file did 'x' to my computer and I didn't even get to play the game!" or some such. Some of these "free" hosting services pull shady stuff like that, because tricking you into getting trojan-horse adware or background crypto-miners onto your computer is how they make money.

Reactions: ButtNumz

Novilon

Feb 8, 2021

Really? I'll keep that in mind next time I upload, and maybe use Pixeldrain instead. I used Mixdrop for the last couple of releases because they're on F95Zone's list of "approved hosts", but it sounds like maybe they're getting shady and less trustworthy than when the site staff approved them.

Reactions: Bunjoman

Treaddd

Apr 2, 2021
Anyone know why BSC isn't showing up in the "Latest Updates" section for me, even when I filter by the "furry" or "loli" tags? I didn't realize this game had been updated until today, and only by chance...and now I'm left wondering what other game updates I've missed.

Kruggov

Jun 8, 2020
Anyone know why BSC isn't showing up in the "Latest Updates" section for me, even when I filter by the "furry" or "loli" tags? I didn't realize this game had been updated until today, and only by chance...and now I'm left wondering what other game updates I've missed.
Apparently its update date never changed and still shows as "7 months ago"

Reactions: Treaddd

applepie68

Feb 5, 2018
This is the sort of thing a google search will help you with there. tl;dr it's an algorithm to generate a very large number from all the bytes in a file, in such a way that the number will be different for different files, or if the file has been altered. It's not purely for security, it's how lots of big file downloaders verify that they've downloaded everything correctly (such as how torrents work, or Steam game file validation)

You can always run various hashing programs on your own files to find their hash numbers, but if someone else doesn't tell you what it should be, it's not meaningful on it's own. All that matters is that it matches what the sender tells you it should be.
I see so its a reads all the bytes for example if it was a photo the green pixels bytes would be tossed into a complex formula and return a result say letter p which would be its hash. Grossly simplified but is that the general gist?
Pretty much what Temp79325783985987 says, above. The "hash", or "file signature", is a cryptographic algorithm which calculates the number by running the entire contents of the file through a complex mathematical formula. (It's similar to the way that encryption keys are calculated for HTTPS encryption.) The formula, and the calculation process, is designed in such a way that it would be extremely difficult -- as in, "several weeks' worth of effort with a massive supercomputer array" difficult -- to alter the original file in such a way that "hashing" the altered version would still result in precisely the same signature.

If the hash for something you downloaded isn't posted by the original uploader, then you can't really check it. As Temp says, you can calculate the hash yourself, but the number is meaningless unless you know what it should be, and only the person who originally created and posted the file can tell you that.

I just started doing it because I kept getting complaints from people who would click one of the links, run whatever the file-sharing host sent them, then complain about "your energy.exe file did 'x' to my computer and I didn't even get to play the game!" or some such. Some of these "free" hosting services pull shady stuff like that, because tricking you into getting trojan-horse adware or background crypto-miners onto your computer is how they make money.
I see thank you for your diligence it is much appreciated.

Artix Cauld

Jul 9, 2021
Wishing you good luck there with the Android port.
Hopefully you can figure it out for us mobile-only users.
Either way, thanks a lot for keeping and expanding this classic gem.

Novilon

Feb 8, 2021
I see so its a reads all the bytes for example if it was a photo the green pixels bytes would be tossed into a complex formula and return a result say letter p which would be its hash. Grossly simplified but is that the general gist?
More or less. Although it isn't "just the green pixels" -- every byte in the file contributes to the overall signature. Otherwise, to use your example, someone could tamper with the file by altering the red or blue pixel bytes, but leave the green ones alone, and the resulting signature of the altered file would still match the original because you were only looking at 1/3rd of the data.

Velsomnia

Jul 29, 2017
Its nice to see this game still being worked on but im still holding out for Aval0nX to follow through. This will be fun to play in the meantime.

kortanar

May 6, 2017
it just showed up, like 20 minutes ago, rather than 4 days ago when you posted. oof.

bitsybobs3

Ultimate Torrent Dude
Donor
Jun 13, 2021
BabysittingCreamBetaMixEdition-0.3.4.1
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
rpdl torrents are unaffiliated with both F95Zone and the developer of this game.
If you run into issues please use this thread or join us on !

We're crowdfunded, !​

Frazzanova

Jun 2, 2017
How many times can you port the same decade old game with the same content? I've never seen what value this adds over the original.

Reactions: Mokume
4.50 star(s) 4 Votes