VN Ren'Py Abandoned Bad Luck Chuck [v0.0.02] [BLC Games]

BLC Games

Game Developer
Aug 9, 2016
I'm still working, though I don't have as much to show for it as I would have hoped when posting this and making a fuss. There have been a few real life hurdles both expected and not so much, but models are mostly finalized and scenes are written and blocked out and I probably have enough right now for what should have been the demo instead of just a conversation with no choice or real content to speak of.

I'm hitting a bit of a wall on the programming/input side. That could be fixed if I had someone helping, but that requires money and I decided pretty early on not to do anything like that until I had a preexisting foundation I was confident merited a tip box... but I'm now less and less certain as to what that stage looks like or if I'm even able to produce something like that on my own to get to that stage...

And of course, because that is hard, I start to drift into weird side diversions like purposefully obnoxious but increasingly intricate Stormlight Archive models as well as modeling the characters in my own fantasy book draft for reference/distraction. And those have been interesting because I've been forced to learn how to do custom LIE and texture/surface alteration and maybe even custom objects/props if I keep up with it... but none of those skills were ever needed for this project.

Honestly, so much of what is left to do with the content I have in front of me is just busy work and not substantive... I could just hunker down and get something new/extended out this evening or tomorrow and then see what people thought would be the best route. But even so, I'm still inside the set-up phase NTR wise, part of the reason I don't like the episodic release model that a Patreon kind of assumes and necessitates plus I don't think my renders are good enough to make up for an extended development period and keep a web presence throughout.

Reactions: Kaparzo

ThorMcBalbo

May 12, 2017
As for what i've seen your renders are good, very good! we didn't see much of the story but it seems like you can have brilliant ideas.
That said, it will be nice if you can show us something, i can give you my 2 cents thought and someone else can be even more helpful.
you definitely have my moral support for now :D

Reactions: rodok

chipsiup

Aug 12, 2016
Your renders are quite good, and while the demo was short it showed enough of your writing that indicated you had a style and people were interested in. You've managed to drawn a lot of attention already, and it's been almost universally positive. I think your next step is to start doing some regular updates as much as your schedule allows, and maybe start a webpage/blog. If you run into trouble during development you can just make a post about it, and you might be surprised to see how many people are willing to pitch in with advice or offers to help out.

Reactions: ThorMcBalbo

BLC Games

Game Developer
Aug 9, 2016
Thanks for the encouragement! I'll make a blogspot once my new expanded demo thing is finished. I should have something to show/update shortly and then I'll have to see what winds up being sustainable given interest.

Should be fun!

BLC Games

Game Developer
Aug 9, 2016
Bad Luck Chuck v0.0.2
PC

Mac

(I just post this and then let the mods update the first post, yeah?)

Reactions: 8mes and CobraPL

Steve Carter

Apr 28, 2017
You could probably tell the story you wanted to tell in the intro and have it be a lot more engaging for the player with a playable demo. The two of you could be sitting on the couch when nobody else is home and start to fool around and have dialogue choices that come up tell the story, where she rebuffs you if you try to go too far, reminds you of what her limits are, etc. It could still end the same way as in the linear story.

8mes

Aug 24, 2016
You got me hooked with the witty dialogues and humor in your first release. The humor is still great and the story seems promising. Hope to see more.

parismilton

May 14, 2017
Bad Luck Chuck v0.0.2
PC

Mac

(I just post this and then let the mods update the first post, yeah?)
I think you should do a more compact storyline, for now atleast. Less dialogue, more plot.
Maybe release like, the body of the story first, and then add the details. With this way of developing games that you guys do, doing a linear storyline whilst actually trying to create something with build-up -- it's gets kinda boring.
Sorry, but you just released two versions with almost no content whatsoever. Shit ton of dialogue though.
Your writing is not half bad though, kudos for that.

BLC Games

Game Developer
Aug 9, 2016
I think you should do a more compact storyline, for now atleast. Less dialogue, more plot.
Maybe release like, the body of the story first, and then add the details. With this way of developing games that you guys do, doing a linear storyline whilst actually trying to create something with build-up -- it's gets kinda boring.
Sorry, but you just released two versions with almost no content whatsoever. Shit ton of dialogue though.
Your writing is not half bad though, kudos for that.
I mean, you've kind of summed up my inner argument. If I want it to be in any way commercial, I should do it more like you said. On the other hand, the whole reason I'm doing it and doing it for free is that I want to do it the way I want without compromising. Because why else do you make an NTR game?

Kind of a dilemma.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

parismilton

May 14, 2017
I mean, you've kind of summed up my inner argument. If I want it to be in any way commercial, I should do it more like you said. On the other hand, the whole reason I'm doing it and doing it for free is that I want to do it the way I want without compromising. Because why else do you make an NTR game?

Kind of a dilemma.
I understand that, but I gotta say that this format -- releasing bit by bit of the game -- doesn't work for you then. Atleast not until you get something concrete, something that shows what the game is gonna be about. Doesn't have to be the girlfriend seeing the other guy's dick and drooling from her mouth and vagina simultaneously, but... I don't know, atleast interacting with him or talking about him -- something like that. You mention a trip in the future, right? I think it would be cool to end the next version with them actually leaving for it; then you get all the four main characters interacting (MC, MC's girlfriend, the other fucker, fucker's girlfriend), and finish it with then leaving for the trip.
Also, people talk shit about NTR/Cheating genre -- pretty much a meme by now -- but there's a fuck ton of an audience for it. So, if you like writing about it, and other people like it too, why not do it?

ThorMcBalbo

May 12, 2017
here my 2 cents:

the characters are very well made 9/10

i think that the dialogs are top notch and it's really important (at least for me) when the game is about ntr/cuck/cheating or how the hell you want to call it. They must not be skipped cause, and make an example, if you see a man and a woman fuck and guy or girl look at them from behind a door, seems like that person is just peeping on them(standard and boring::|:), but with a good story and context behind them could become a really hot ntr scene (hot and twisted ;) ). adding little "stupid" things like "watch your language fuckhead" and all comes after, even if it's no that important to the story, add that plus that is really usefull to create the ambient in which the story "streams".as i said the story is very very very very very important for this genre 10/10

Another plus note is that you don't want to compromise with the "audience", I see far too many developer follow people complains and add things where they don't belong or rush to sex scenes etc, If i have to make an example look at BigBrother by Darksilver people complaning about eric and the lack of sex scene and version 0.5 is a rushed pure garbage (i could make other examples but this is the most popular here)

Now the negative part

Why the game not finished? I want it all now!:eazyHype: why you no doctor yet?come back when you doctor!x'D

i'm not a native speaker but i hope that i made my point clear enough, if not, just tell me and ask away

Reactions: BLC Games

chipsiup

Aug 12, 2016
I understand that, but I gotta say that this format -- releasing bit by bit of the game -- doesn't work for you then.
Don't listen to this guy. If he's not happy with the pacing then he can always come back and play it after a few updates have built up.

The main thing to keep in mind that the game is meant to be played as a complete whole. You could, for example, wait till you're all the way done before you release, but it's certainly not a bad idea to do smaller updates. As you said, you're not charging people for it, so no one has a right to complain, and plenty of fans are salivating for more updates.

I think anyone downloading a game with 0.0.2 in the version number should be expecting that it's not complete.

chipsiup

Aug 12, 2016
Now, with regards to the actual update... you basically explained how the choices play out. But if you do continue to finger Becky and end up in the mortifying situation of getting caught by your stepmom, does that lead to a game over?

Because that's sort of what the "reload after" comment implies. And it's a bit of a bummer in games when they present you with dead end choices.

BLC Games

Game Developer
Aug 9, 2016
Now, with regards to the actual update... you basically explained how the choices play out. But if you do continue to finger Becky and end up in the mortifying situation of getting caught by your stepmom, does that lead to a game over?

Because that's sort of what the "reload after" comment implies. And it's a bit of a bummer in games when they present you with dead end choices.
Oh, good question. I didn't realize I had implied that there were dead ends with that Author's Note. There aren't. I'm thinking right now two main "ends" with variables/sub-ends. There won't be any choices that end the game aside from near the end where you have a "nope out" drive away and leave everything behind option should you choose to use it. I like the whole "you're doing this to yourself" point of view and having an eject button kind of underlines it.

Ideally, choices will lead to disparate scenarios that are either remembered or have an effect on how Becky feels about Chuck or both. Combined, those variables will control Becky's future actions and reactions though they won't effect the player's ability to make choices subsequently.

ie, there won't be any "morality too high" grayed out options but Becky will react depending on her conceptualization of Chuck as denoted by two variables, attraction and respect.

That "reload after" joke was meant to make fun of perfectionists and the note was supposed to put forward that there might not be a "right" decision at many points in the game. There's no "true" end is what I'm saying. If I do it right.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

parismilton

May 14, 2017
Don't listen to this guy. If he's not happy with the pacing then he can always come back and play it after a few updates have built up.

The main thing to keep in mind that the game is meant to be played as a complete whole. You could, for example, wait till you're all the way done before you release, but it's certainly not a bad idea to do smaller updates. As you said, you're not charging people for it, so no one has a right to complain, and plenty of fans are salivating for more updates.

I think anyone downloading a game with 0.0.2 in the version number should be expecting that it's not complete.
Sigh
Did you actually read what I posted man? Why you gotta be like that? "Don't listen to this guy", and then proceeds to tell a dumbed down, ass kissing version of what I said. "No one has a right to complain"? What the ass-sucking hell you're talking about? The guy is posting his thing in a public place, expecting what then? Praise and/or silence? Get outta here man.

BobBobbinston

Mar 23, 2017
Shweeet, update.

I like the style of the game very much. Believable characters so far. I mean that whole exposition bit about his gf 'thinking she wants to take risks' but not really 'understanding consequences cause other people protect them from them' sounds like half a dozen girls I knew. Close to home baby.

Humor is good. Renders are good. Take your time, don't listen to haters or praisers IMO. When content creators start writing to please anyone other than themselves...its dangerous territory.

Lastly, I was also tickled by the giant black and white 'BAD LUCK CHUCK' title shot. So over dramatic, like a classic horror movie...specifically and oddly it reminded me of the title shot of a great flick called 'Cabin in the Woods' which I highly recommend to anyone.

BLC Games

Game Developer
Aug 9, 2016
Shweeet, update.
Lastly, I was also tickled by the giant black and white 'BAD LUCK CHUCK' title shot. So over dramatic, like a classic horror movie...specifically and oddly it reminded me of the title shot of a great flick called 'Cabin in the Woods' which I highly recommend to anyone.
Agreed on Cabin in the Woods. The title screen was actually a half-remembered reference to Funny Games (looks like I saw the remake from 2007) which is also semi-satirical horror. I wonder if they were both referencing a third thing. Funny Games is fucked up, btw. Don't remember it enough to recommend to anyone but I can't imagine it being medium anything.