• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Kassan06969

Apr 14, 2022
Normally in Renpy games old saves not working are because of adding new variables. I normally don't use mods other than uncensor type ones. Now new variables should be added after like the 3rd release. Even in the 1980s before a game got started being worked on a flowchart was made, at least any linear ones.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Of course you can make stuff playable, but you can't fix missing renders :p
Oh, you'd be surprised my dear friend... I've fixed some pretty crazy things in my time. I don't create them but I can stitch things together to make it all work pretty seamless. Not tooting my own horn but some other devs always give me a run for my money on tactics to fix things.

Kassan06969

Apr 14, 2022
Don't be silly. The VN's changes have been noted in this thread dozens upon dozens of times.

But fret not, SanchoMod will sort every old bug and allow ~90% of older saves to load.

You're welcome (or delete it, whatever, you do you).
I'll try once you release it. Hopefully it works and deleting didn't delete the save. Not starting over. Starting over a little bit in sucks. This far in is no go.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Normally in Renpy games old saves not working are because of adding new variables. I normally don't use mods other than uncensor type ones. Now new variables should be added after like the 3rd release. Even in the 1980s before a game got started being worked on a flowchart was made, at least any linear ones.
You're not understanding a few things... RenPy freaking out isn't always about variables... the scripting format alone can bork it. This happens quite often if a dev changes how they handle conditionals on mass, change dialogue ownership (characters), etc. Code is about much more than just variables.

... and the mod is already done for Final. Try if you want, don't if you don't... your call.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
recreation

I do recommend you modify your after_load to account for older saves, like so:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

A person's save file will hold the version number for whatever version of the game they started their save file with. So this way you can incrementally make your fixes to their save file and also update the version associated with their save file.
That's a good idea, and good to know, but a little bit late now :geek:

New variables aren't a problem, never have been with renpy, it's changing old variables (and other stuff that isn't relevant here), which is what I did (well knowing what I was getting into, but I had my reasons).

Kassan06969

Apr 14, 2022
You're not understanding a few things... RenPy freaking out isn't always about variables... the scripting format alone can bork it. This happens quite often if a dev changes how they handle conditionals on mass, change dialogue ownership (characters), etc. Code is about much more than just variables.

... and the mod is already done for Final. Try if you want, don't if you don't... your call.
Well, changing any of that shit should never happen this far in - like hours worth of play/years worth of development.

GetOutOfMyLab

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
The variables can break Ren'Py if the dev does not use the default keyword to define them. Often devs of Ren'Py games are coming across old code examples online where they just throw in a new variable without defining it, and that will break saves.

More times than not, a dev has deleted labels from their game and/or deleted their rpyc file (which is very important to Ren'Py for determining various things on where to rollback to and such).

Reactions: Sancho1969

GetOutOfMyLab

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
That's a good idea, and good to know, but a little bit late now :geek:

New variables aren't a problem, never have been with renpy, it's changing old variables (and other stuff that isn't relevant here), which is what I did (well knowing what I was getting into, but I had my reasons).
Never too late to implement that. You can do that for future release to help prevent future issues with loading saves :)

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
The variables can break Ren'Py if the dev does not use the default keyword to define them. Often devs of Ren'Py games are coming across old code examples online where they just throw in a new variable without defining it, and that will break saves.

More times than not, a dev has deleted labels from their game and/or deleted their rpyc file (which is very important to Ren'Py for determining various things on where to rollback to and such).
Yes indeed, this above and this.

Reactions: GetOutOfMyLab

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Well, changing any of that shit should never happen this far in - like hours worth of play/years worth of development.
Don't sweat it. Make a fresh install of the VN in a differently named directory and install the mod into that (so you keep your original VN and it's associated directory structure if you wish) then try your old saves... I reckon you'll see quite the difference. I don't and won't guarantee 100% but you should get at least 90% unless the save is extremely old.. in that case a fresh start is always recommended tbh as there was a Jada issue some versions back (can't recall which off the top of my head atm).

GetOutOfMyLab

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
This is inherently false. A game in development is susceptible to multiple changes through out its lifecycle. Look into Agile development and see how often things can change. This is particularly true of creative-type works where an idea is thrown out in favor of another.

fulcrum

Engaged Member
Feb 2, 2018
recreation

just wondered why it went straight to black when loading and remembered i played the beta release. if you do public betas maybe implement an on-load comparison that jumps to a :betafinal tag and displays a big fat image: this savegame was created in the current final's beta release, no new content added.

because you can be absolutey bronko busting sure that this thread is littered with that question in less than 12 hours.

absolute false. you only get an "undefined" error because new devs only set those in the start label, breaking is when the script is changed so the engine becomes confused where it should jump to, may be caused by a rollback stack that isnt wiped (and some low life devs simply remove the rollback feature because of that).

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Also, as a reminder... recreation likely sorted the "Beta" Female load issue but if not I can assure you that the new cheat inside "SanchoCheats" will resolve it. I write my cheats in-depth and professional... it changes ALL gender variables/styles, not just "man/woman". It will get you done in a worst-case scenario... or you can use it to change the gender of MC on the fly at anytime just to fuck around.

Reactions: khalidevil

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
recreation

if you do public betas maybe implement an on-load comparison that jumps to a :betafinal tag and displays a big fat image: this savegame was created in the current final's beta release, no new content added.

because you can be absolutey bronko busting sure that this thread is littered with that question in less than 12 hours.
Bud, it was a testing build that was never EVER supposed to see public eyeballs... it was never supposed to be "leaked". This dev does NOT release "Betas" publicly.

Vasy

Mar 21, 2017
The second to last scene, when Rachel comes into the MC's room, at the point where they hear Katherine scream, it jumps to an image of Rachel blowing the MC despite not being on her path. Obviously this is with a male MC. I'm unsure if something similar occurs with a female MC.

4.40 star(s) 199 Votes