Unity Bare Backstreets [v0.7.4] [Jasonafex]

1.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Quaedam_420

Apr 9, 2020
My Anti-Virus gives off "suspicious software" whenever I download each new version of the game. Since it's a separate ".exe" file, it doesn't really have any certification or validity of content.
This should be the link you need to go to, to get the latest version.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
all this talk about the gitches jogged my memory a bit... didn't jasonafex obfuscate bits of code? i wonder if that is part of the jank going on...
Yeah, they obfuscated the hell out of it. That wouldn't be what's causing the janky gameplay (that's just poorly designed platforming—it was like that even before they started obfuscating the code), but the method they used could potentially cause crashing issues (potential out of memory situations) and are almost certainly the cause of the performance issues.

I did some simulated benchmarking on the decompiled functions a while back, and executing them took a significant amount of time on even a gaming spec CPU. It was to the point where basic enemy movement and player input took something like 15-20% of the available frame time (assuming 60hz) to process, which is absolutely absurd.

Reactions: Sepherix

bobbot

May 10, 2018
Yeah, they obfuscated the hell out of it. That wouldn't be what's causing the janky gameplay (that's just poorly designed platforming—it was like that even before they started obfuscating the code), but the method they used could potentially cause crashing issues (potential out of memory situations) and are almost certainly the cause of the performance issues.

I did some simulated benchmarking on the decompiled functions a while back, and executing them took a significant amount of time on even a gaming spec CPU. It was to the point where basic enemy movement and player input took something like 15-20% of the available frame time (assuming 60hz) to process, which is absolutely absurd.
the jank i was refering to was lag spikes and (random?) crashes like on the title for example... good to know i was'nt crazy, thanks. also wow that benchmark... absurd? i think your being nice there...

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
the jank i was refering to was lag spikes and (random?) crashes like on the title for example... good to know i was'nt crazy, thanks. also wow that benchmark... absurd? i think your being nice there...
Nope, you're not crazy, and yeah, considering how much they're raking in for this mess I'm probably being too kind. :p

Here's a link to my original post about this if you're interested in more details. It's possible that the game might have changed internally since then (last time I looked at it was early in the 0.5.x line), but I kinda doubt it. It's also worth noting that the issues are likely to be far worse than I projected, since I only dove into the enemy code in that post. Everything that accesses Unity properties in a similar way would be affected. It's truly nasty.

That being said, lag spikes in Unity games are generally more indicative of memory-related issues. Unity games are built on the .NET Framework, which uses something called a garbage collector (GC) to purge sections of memory that aren't being used. This generally works well, but if the game is lax about its memory management the GC is likely to be forced to run during a timing-critical segment of code, like right in the middle of the gameplay loop, in order to provide the game with the memory it needs to continue running.

This might also explain the startup crashes on some machines, too. In that case it might be attempting to allocate so much memory that it just can't get enough. I've never run into that issues on my system, so I've never been able to see exactly what happens.

For the record, my memory theory is just conjecture, as I haven't looked into it in any real detail. That being said, it's a pattern I've seen (and caused :whistle:) plenty of times in GC-enabled languages and frameworks.

Reactions: erolionkun

JoyridePinks

Oct 5, 2019
The game is still a bit jank and jasonafex is still a bad person, but the game is a lot better than it used to be and the animation quality can't be denied; I'd say its definitely worth trying out and finally worth money if you desire to fund this but I doubt the game will be finished

Reactions: Stuffie

Quaedam_420

Apr 9, 2020
Well, the game just launched the 0.6.4 patch (pw same as 0.6.3, so no worries), which fixed some of the more wide-spread softlocks and frame issues.

Sepherix

Apr 9, 2019
The lag spikes i feel are for most part, loading assets.
Once they're loaded, it doesn't happen after unless uh, too much at once but that's me being limited in memory.

shirp226

Sep 6, 2020
Ah yes, the "new and improved" debug room.

I do look forward to submission stuff though. Not sure how much we will get of that, but I like the idea. :3

Thanks for the password Quaedam_420 , I put it in a textfile and uploaded the new release as one package.

Here's also the changelog for 0.6.3.:

Short:

V 0.6.3 (June 15/2021 - Week 50)
• New Enemy - Kobold
• New NPC - Kane
• New S*x Scene
• New Area - Gym
• New Music - Training Stage
• New Tutorial System
• New Dialogue System
• New Portraits
• Cycling Entity Spawners
• Reworked Debug Stage
• Integrated Graphics Support
• Added Anti-Aliasing
• Audio Balancing
• Many Bug Fixes

Long:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
What should I do to allow me to enter my password on the free version?

shirp226

Sep 6, 2020
thank you but I figured it out myself there was a problem I was written to try again although the password was correct

JStrom

Dec 16, 2018
really wish there was an option to keep the jockstrap on when you get caught. Not enough sex around clothing in games... or when it is done, it's done so piss-poor that it just isnt worth it.

Quaedam_420

Apr 9, 2020
Clothed sex would be a great addition if done properly. I'll see if I can rally enough people to get that in the game (Or throw enough money at it. Monetary problems require monetary solutions.).

TayTiger

Sep 23, 2017
Great Debug Room Update! Much easier now.
But now the Game starts to stutter. Enemys cant reach you for the Animation. Also no Audio on the Gallery.

Sepherix

Apr 9, 2019
Great Debug Room Update! Much easier now.
But now the Game starts to stutter. Enemys cant reach you for the Animation. Also no Audio on the Gallery.
Change to other area or move a bit, its an old problem. They forget or can't path where you are so they go either left or right. Because we've sunk a little in the ground, causing a bit of issues. Can expect that to be gone next time.
Stutters are assets being loaded. They will stop once you've seen everything once.

Reactions: TayTiger

napala

Jun 12, 2017
As a random sidenote: I'll be subscribed to Jason and Kabs for at least three months. Any developments of their game and the companion comic (which is looking really good so far, honestly), I'll let you guys know.
Pleasebe sure to share everything on Kemono.party

Quaedam_420

Apr 9, 2020
I won't share shit on kemono.party.
I'll leave my two cents (as well as any password/pin changes) here. Don't "ASK" me to do anything else. I'm not working for you, whoever the fuck you are. I'm doing this as a favour to the part of the community that doesn't want to or can't contribute to the game. I get nothing out of this, and I expect nothing. So all of you should expect no less. Again, I'm not going to share anything elsewhere other than here. Bitch all you want, it's not YOUR five bucks going into the project.

1.60 star(s) 44 Votes