Mod Ren'Py Bare Witness [Ch. 5] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

4.50 star(s) 8 Votes

Juca Alves

Apr 24, 2018
I installed the mod and the game does not open, immediately showing the traceback screen. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
Thanks to anyone who can help.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.
While running game code:
ScriptError: Name (u'game/Chapter2.rpy', 1623126233, 0) is defined twice, at game/Chapter2.rpy:4 and game/tl/Chapter2.rpyc:4.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 326, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 447, in main
renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
File "renpy/script.py", line 283, in load_script
self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
File "renpy/script.py", line 779, in load_appropriate_file
self.finish_load(stmts, initcode, filename=lastfn)
File "renpy/script.py", line 468, in finish_load
check_name(node)
File "renpy/script.py", line 451, in check_name
bad_node.filename, bad_node.linenumber))
ScriptError: Name (u'game/Chapter2.rpy', 1623126233, 0) is defined twice, at game/Chapter2.rpy:4 and game/tl/Chapter2.rpyc:4.

Windows-10-10.0.22000
Ren'Py 7.4.3.1414
Bare Witness 0.4
Thu Oct 13 14:40:00 2022

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Are you the reason all my previous Sancho-modded saves have the 0000oooo0000 type variables in them that break the game if I try to load without it?
In reality what causes saves to bork in an unmodded game isn't any particular variable that saves but rather the python functions that work in the background for all the various mod screens, data, etc. When those functions become absent and the player loads a save, RenPy is wanting to initiate those functions for a "refresh" but obviously they aren't there without the mod installed. It's the side effect of building a complex program... there are dependencies. That's basically it in a nutshell.

Reactions: Ilhares

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I installed the mod and the game does not open, immediately showing the traceback screen. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 326, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 447, in main
renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
File "renpy/script.py", line 283, in load_script
self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
File "renpy/script.py", line 779, in load_appropriate_file
self.finish_load(stmts, initcode, filename=lastfn)
File "renpy/script.py", line 468, in finish_load
check_name(node)
File "renpy/script.py", line 451, in check_name
bad_node.filename, bad_node.linenumber))

Windows-10-10.0.22000
Ren'Py 7.4.3.1414
Bare Witness 0.4
Thu Oct 13 14:40:00 2022
This part tells you everything:
"
While running game code:
"

Do you see? You have scripts in two places, once is correct under "game" the other is not correct under "game/tl". Start over with the installation... from scratch.

deuxrayme

Nov 4, 2018
The variable names alone that get shown with the choice guide make it even better for this game. There are so many jokes that won't be seen by the player otherwise like Val's love decreasing by "boobies" if you reject her at one point as seen here:
1665683542871.png

Juca Alves

Apr 24, 2018
This part tells you everything:
"
While running game code:
"

Do you see? You have scripts in two places, once is correct under "game" the other is not correct under "game/tl". Start over with the installation... from scratch.
But I did a clean install, including no saves

Juca Alves

Apr 24, 2018
Then you installed the mod's script files in that "game/tl" directory instead of "game". I'm telling you bud, you borked the install.
Hello friend, I installed the game by extracting the zip file. The mod put the zip file in the game folder and asked to extract it in the game folder and not in the game/tl as you mentioned. Without the mod the game opens normally. I'm opening a new game without any saves. Thank you for your help.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Hello friend, I installed the game by extracting the zip file. The mod put the zip file in the game folder and asked to extract it in the game folder and not in the game/tl as you mentioned. Without the mod the game opens normally. I'm opening a new game without any saves. Thank you for your help.
I hear you bud, but it's your traceback, not mine that says " and game/tl/Chapter2.rpyc:4 ". By default neither the VN nor the mod puts any dialogue scripts inside that "tl" directory yet it's there. We can debate this all day but your install is borked bud, I wouldn't lie to you. You have a file named "Chapter2.rpyc" inside the "tl" directory... that's not correct.

Reactions: Juca Alves

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
SanchoMod Maintenance Update (Ch 4)

Go get you some.

Links in the OP are updated accordingly.

Change Log:
  • Added SanchoGallery scene variants for select scenes.
  • Added scene filter for variants for convenience.
  • Minor GUI tweaks and fixes.
Regards and enjoy.

Mentions: joeysalamander Ilhares

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinuss

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
SanchoMod Maintenance Update (Ch 4)

Go get you some.

Links in the OP are updated accordingly.

Change Log:
  • Added SanchoGallery scene variants for select scenes.
  • Added scene filter for variants for convenience.
  • Minor GUI tweaks and fixes.
Regards and enjoy.
Since this is an update to the update, but you didn't change the version #, we can just copy over all the files, right?

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Since this is an update to the update, but you didn't change the version #, we can just copy over all the files, right?
Correct. It's all inclusive... so if you have the mod already installed from yesterday's Ch4 then allow overwrite as requested. If it's a new install then it's 100% complete. Either way you'll be good to go.

Reactions: Elhemeer

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Is that the variable name?
All naming conventions in every SanchoMod ChoiceGuide are ALWAYS derived from the dev's code variables and conditionals. Yes, all those silly event variables are named that way from the devs :p. Any remark from me personally is always found with a preceding "SanchoNote". Anything written after "SanchoNote" is all on me. Besides, I'd never call you a pussy :ROFLMAO:

Juca Alves

Apr 24, 2018
I hear you bud, but it's your traceback, not mine that says " and game/tl/Chapter2.rpyc:4 ". By default neither the VN nor the mod puts any dialogue scripts inside that "tl" directory yet it's there. We can debate this all day but your install is borked bud, I wouldn't lie to you. You have a file named "Chapter2.rpyc" inside the "tl" directory... that's not correct.
1665704013272.png

1665704161436.png

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Bud, according to your traceback:

While running game code:
Something is very wrong here. The image you provide and the traceback contradict each other. The traceback clearly states "and game/tl/Chapter2.rpyc"

What else did you do? I'll help anyway I can but I truly wish you'd do just these two steps first:
  • In a newly created/differently named directory install the VN.
  • Install the mod as directed.
Nothing else, just those two steps. Don't get cute unarchiving, adding other stuff, etc. Just those two steps only. Do that for me and report back please.

Reactions: Ilhares

Juca Alves

Apr 24, 2018
Bud, according to your traceback:

Something is very wrong here. The image you provide and the traceback contradict each other. The traceback clearly states "and game/tl/Chapter2.rpyc"

What else did you do? I'll help anyway I can but I truly wish you'd do just these two steps first:
  • In a newly created/differently named directory install the VN.
  • Install the mod as directed.
Nothing else, just those two steps.
Thank you very much for your patience. I'll end it here, I think it could be the game file I downloaded. I will download again and try. I always use your mods, I think your work is excellent. Stay with God and thank you so much again.

4.50 star(s) 8 Votes