ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
So he has been working on this for a year, written x amount of text that he believes is 1/3 total text, but then he says he'll be done in a month.
He never said he was working on it for the entire year, only that a year had passed and that was all he'd written.

It could be a case where he literally wrote that much in less than a week, and most of the rest of the time was spent working on other projects, having personal issues eat into free time, or just being writer's blocked so hard that nothing worthwhile comes out no matter how hard you try (I've absolutely been there before).

It's also entirely possible that there's no chance he'll ever manage to get it done by the end of August, but still having that hard deadline to aim for can potentially help motivate enough to psychologically push through any potential blocks or burnout (though it could always just make them worse as well).

bebiho

Sep 16, 2016
Hopefully MrJet learns his lesson and hires a writer to the next game, so he can focus on art.

indio68

Engaged Member
Sep 26, 2020
View attachment 1946019

Hey, guys!

So, it's been a year since the last release. Yep. That's a lot. The big question for those of you who are still waiting is when is the release. Well, it's not an easy question, and as you know I don't usually give any dates to avoid messing up with them. But this time I will say this, I will make the update before the end of summer (I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in the very last days of August). It's a promise to you, it's a promise to myself. Hopefully, the upcoming deadline will allow me to speed up my work. Because right now the pace clearly leaves a lot to be desired. I've written 3.5k lines of text, which is objectively way too little. I don't know why that is. On the one hand I really like what I've already written, but on the other hand, when at the end of the day you look at the result, you ask yourself "Really, that's it? Why so little?" Anyway, from the looks of it, I've written about 1/3 of the total text/dialogs, maybe a little more.

To summarize, right now I'm still working with the text. The work is progressing, but slowly. For the next month, I'll put a pause on the payments again. And lastly, I'm putting a deadline until the end of August. That's all.

Thank you for your support. Take care.

MrJet
so no rendering , nos cripts , no nothing?? really, over a year and only 1\3 of the text...

MrJet

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
which is good since rendering takes the longest to make. but it seems weird to me that he's gotten the renders down when he hasn't even finished the text. don't you write the scenes first before making the renders?
It's because of my workflow. It's dumb, but I'm used to it. First I make a structure on paper for the next update, think of some scenes and what's supposed to happen in them. A general outline of who talked to whom, and what happened as a result of that conversation, and so on to the end of the update. Then I start working in DAZ, and this is the biggest and longest part of the development. If in the process of creating scenes I still manage to write dialogue, I, of course, write it down. If not, I just put it off for later. Normally, I know what's supposed to happen in a scene, so the dialogs just serve as a way of connecting them together. I know it's hard to explain, but that's the way it is. When the rendering of the main scenes is done, I get to work on the text, and connecting all the parts into the finished piece. At the same time I put in sounds, music and start writing the rest of the text. At the same time I make new renders of some additional dialogs, changes in the characters facial expressions, etc. (depending on the specific dialog). Sometimes you need 1-2 extra renders per scene, sometimes 10-15.

All in all, I've had this unusual system in place since I started working on BARS, and it's obviously extremely unproductive. I admit it. But it takes time to get a new way of working. And this is what I wanted to do at the beginning of the new project.
As for the number of renders, which I do not specify in recent news posts, they are increasing little by little, but only because of the additional renders. At the moment I have 2615 renders ready.

I hope it's a little clearer now what I have going on.

MrJet

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Btw anything planned for a Steam Release when it is finished?
Ideally, yes. But first I'll have to finish the final version.

Then, after the release, I'll have to get the whole game in some kind of proper shape. I'll rework some original renders and animations. Maybe buy some new music, finish writing the final event with Barista/Marie and get her out of the story smoothly. Maybe some other minor changes.

I don't think it'll take long, though. It's a lot easier to redo renders than to do something from scratch.

Barretto24

Feb 15, 2021
He never said he was working on it for the entire year, only that a year had passed and that was all he'd written.

It could be a case where he literally wrote that much in less than a week, and most of the rest of the time was spent working on other projects, having personal issues eat into free time, or just being writer's blocked so hard that nothing worthwhile comes out no matter how hard you try (I've absolutely been there before).

It's also entirely possible that there's no chance he'll ever manage to get it done by the end of August, but still having that hard deadline to aim for can potentially help motivate enough to psychologically push through any potential blocks or burnout (though it could always just make them worse as well).
From Feburary to June he stopped working on it because of the Ukraine war.

4.20 star(s) 240 Votes