Fan Art Being A DIK: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

MetaJosh

Oct 14, 2017
Some advice from a professional photographer, you have needlessly limited your dynamic range. If you open this up in photoshop and use the level adjustment or the curve tool, you will notice that your whites stop at 160 instead of 255, which darkens the entire image and makes it look flat. When I corrected the issue (I wont post an edited photo because that would be rude) it looked amazing! I noticed that this is true of most images you post, so your export settings must be causing the issue.

Reactions: Real Kreten

Tshaw17

Mar 1, 2020
Some advice from a professional photographer, you have needlessly limited your dynamic range. If you open this up in photoshop and use the level adjustment or the curve tool, you will notice that your whites stop at 160 instead of 255, which darkens the entire image and makes it look flat. When I corrected the issue (I wont post an edited photo because that would be rude) it looked amazing! I noticed that this is true of most images you post, so your export settings must be causing the issue.
Hey, thanks a lot for your advice. I haven't been doing any exports to photoshop so far, because I was focused on learning how to use DAZ^^. So I'll start with this one and do my first (baby) steps in Photoshop. Thanks again ;)
EDIT : I don't know if I did the right thing but it does look much better^^

Last edited:

Whocares65

Jul 26, 2020
I've played a bunch of adult VNs before BADIK, but this is the only one to make me love the characters so much I picked up Daz3D to learn how to render. Attached is a weekend's worth of work (including learning the basics of the tool). Really made me appreciate how much hard work goes into these games!

I'm really starting to like setting up scenes and rendering. Hope to learn more in the future!

maya_dorm.jpg

MetaJosh

Oct 14, 2017
Hey, thanks a lot for your advice. I haven't been doing any exports to photoshop so far, because I was focused on learning how to use DAZ^^. So I'll start with this one and do my first (baby) steps in Photoshop. Thanks again ;)
EDIT : I don't know if I did the right thing but it does look much better^^
Yes! That is perfect!

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
How do you guys get these results?
Do you start with normal Genesis 8 figures with default skin/ eyes etc?
Is lighting the trick?
I can never get my renders to look game worthy and I can't figure out why.

Asharatf

Dec 26, 2018
Is lighting the trick?
Start with a base gen 8 then use the assets from here to start closer and then use morphs like to get the right faces.

Yes light is a huge part of it, also having the right settings in the render settings can help alot and then doing stuff in photoshop or gimp will get it the rest of the way.

benswift1979

Jul 4, 2019
I find it helps to use GhostIt, to add a transparent layer over DAZ of the actual game photos, to assist in getting the morphs right.

Tshaw17

Mar 1, 2020
Is lighting the trick?
Hi. I entirely agree with Asharatf. Make sure you have the correct assets and the right morphs (for g3 or g8 models). One does not go without the other. When I began with Daz, the mistake I made was having the assets without any morphs so nothing looked the way I wanted of course :ROFLMAO:.
And just as he said, lighting is a huge part of the final result. I just started with Photoshop, and thanks to the advice MetaJosh gave me, I could see a huge improvement in my last render (Jill and MC with the sportscar).
Why don't you put one of your renders (sorry if you already did) here ? We could see how to help you more effectively.

Deleted member 444674

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2018
Aristos Mr. Vargas

Somehow I wasn't notified of either of your posts, otherwise I definitely would have said something! Don't know what that's all about.

Thanks guys for the kind words. I haven't abandoned fan art, but it's definitely on hold for now.

I'll start posting some fanart again probably after I re-release this chapter. Lord knows I could use the break lol, my mind has just been "Connected, Connected, Connected" the past few months in a hustle to get the ball rolling. But I miss just casually rendering fan art so I'm definitely gonna start again soon when my days start to open up a bit (y) :)

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
Hi. I entirely agree with Asharatf. Make sure you have the correct assets and the right morphs (for g3 or g8 models). One does not go without the other. When I began with Daz, the mistake I made was having the assets without any morphs so nothing looked the way I wanted of course :ROFLMAO:.
And just as he said, lighting is a huge part of the final result. I just started with Photoshop, and thanks to the advice MetaJosh gave me, I could see a huge improvement in my last render (Jill and MC with the sportscar).
Why don't you put one of your renders (sorry if you already did) here ? We could see how to help you more effectively.
Thank you for your response! I haven't done any renders yet but just in my general non fanart renders for example, I can never get the skin/light falling on the skin to look like the renders from this game and some other modern games. I guess I have to use ghost lighting.
Thank you for the support though i'll upload one when i'm done

EDIT: I scrolled up and saw both of your renders. That's almost exactly what happens with mine. They appear dark overall and the colors just don't pop. I'll follow MetaJoshs advice too!

Asharatf

Dec 26, 2018
Keeping to g3 actually isn't that important anymore, I put together a char of Carli from Depraved awakening which is just Victoria 7 and used to transfer the morphs to g8 and it worked perfectly, only used it once so far though. They even have a to convert g3 poses to g8 that works great too.

Tshaw17

Mar 1, 2020
Keeping to g3 actually isn't that important anymore, I put together a char of Carli from Depraved awakening which is just Victoria 7 and used to transfer the morphs to g8 and it worked perfectly, only used it once so far though. They even have a to convert g3 poses to g8 that works great too.
In addition to this, more and more assets (clothing especially) are designed for g8 only. I'm gonna try these converters you mention ;)

Whocares65

Jul 26, 2020
Another Maya render, this time up close. My previous post cleverly used distance, shadow, and a face-down position to hide the fact the render didn't look good up close :p. Hopefully y'all will agree this one looks better.

Big thanks to YouTube's Rauko for posting his . Knowing what you're doing with lighting seems to make all the difference between a :poop: render and a great one. So much to learn...and I'm so excited to keep going!

maya_rembrandt.png

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 2 Votes