Fan Art Being A DIK: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Pillower

May 21, 2019
Terrific render, love it. Do you use the integrated post denoiser in Daz? I used to neglect its use because I made the assumption that it always made the image lose detail. But that's not actually true. The key is making it kick in after a very generous amount of iterations have been reached. I've been setting it up to trigger after the 5,000 iteration for a while now and I can't notice any loss in the detail of the image.
Nah, I don't use the denoiser because I'm more concerned about image quality than render times. If I ever run into a situation where I have a grainy image or fireflies, I usually correct the lighting problem in-scene and then re-render. I set my renders to max 25k iterations, max 8 hours, with the default 95% convergence with the expectation of hitting the 95% convergence long before I ever get to 25k iterations or it taking 8 hours.

If the denoiser is enabled and triggered, it is making the image lose detail whether you notice it or not, although at a 5,000 iteration trigger point, how often is it even triggering for you? lol I don't know what your render settings are but I feel like most of my renders hit 95% long before they're at 5,000 iterations though I could be wrong, I don't pay that close attention (I really wish Daz would just store render info into the exported files EXIF data).

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Nah, I don't use the denoiser because I'm more concerned about image quality than render times. If I ever run into a situation where I have a grainy image or fireflies, I usually correct the lighting problem in-scene and then re-render. I set my renders to max 25k iterations, max 8 hours, with the default 95% convergence with the expectation of hitting the 95% convergence long before I ever get to 25k iterations or it taking 8 hours.

If the denoiser is enabled and triggered, it is making the image lose detail whether you notice it or not, although at a 5,000 iteration trigger point, how often is it even triggering for you? lol I don't know what your render settings are but I feel like most of my renders hit 95% long before they're at 5,000 iterations though I could be wrong, I don't pay that close attention (I really wish Daz would just store render info into the exported files EXIF data).
I had the converged ratio setting 'misbehaving' in one of my renders some months ago. Even at 100% with a render quality greater than one, my render got completed way too fast and therefore lacking enough image quality for no apparent reason. Since then, I just disable the render quality settings and the max time (secs) settings all along. I prefer rendering to an unlimited number of iterations (max samples = -1) and having the post denoiser kicking in after the iteration 5K. It works best for me and I can't appreciate any significant loss in image quality by doing that, trust me.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes