Fan Art Being A DIK: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Pillower

May 21, 2019
Terrific render, love it. Do you use the integrated post denoiser in Daz? I used to neglect its use because I made the assumption that it always made the image lose detail. But that's not actually true. The key is making it kick in after a very generous amount of iterations have been reached. I've been setting it up to trigger after the 5,000 iteration for a while now and I can't notice any loss in the detail of the image.
Nah, I don't use the denoiser because I'm more concerned about image quality than render times. If I ever run into a situation where I have a grainy image or fireflies, I usually correct the lighting problem in-scene and then re-render. I set my renders to max 25k iterations, max 8 hours, with the default 95% convergence with the expectation of hitting the 95% convergence long before I ever get to 25k iterations or it taking 8 hours.

If the denoiser is enabled and triggered, it is making the image lose detail whether you notice it or not, although at a 5,000 iteration trigger point, how often is it even triggering for you? lol I don't know what your render settings are but I feel like most of my renders hit 95% long before they're at 5,000 iterations though I could be wrong, I don't pay that close attention (I really wish Daz would just store render info into the exported files EXIF data).

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Nah, I don't use the denoiser because I'm more concerned about image quality than render times. If I ever run into a situation where I have a grainy image or fireflies, I usually correct the lighting problem in-scene and then re-render. I set my renders to max 25k iterations, max 8 hours, with the default 95% convergence with the expectation of hitting the 95% convergence long before I ever get to 25k iterations or it taking 8 hours.

If the denoiser is enabled and triggered, it is making the image lose detail whether you notice it or not, although at a 5,000 iteration trigger point, how often is it even triggering for you? lol I don't know what your render settings are but I feel like most of my renders hit 95% long before they're at 5,000 iterations though I could be wrong, I don't pay that close attention (I really wish Daz would just store render info into the exported files EXIF data).
I had the converged ratio setting 'misbehaving' in one of my renders some months ago. Even at 100% with a render quality greater than one, my render got completed way too fast and therefore lacking enough image quality for no apparent reason. Since then, I just disable the render quality settings and the max time (secs) settings all along. I prefer rendering to an unlimited number of iterations (max samples = -1) and having the post denoiser kicking in after the iteration 5K. It works best for me and I can't appreciate any significant loss in image quality by doing that, trust me.

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
View attachment 3846540

I envy those of you with powerful graphics cards. My poor 12GB 3060 did not appreciate this render. I was only at 75% convergence after 8 hours of baking and over 12,000 iterations.
Firstly, amazing work(y)
Since you rendered in 4K such hard scene with complex lighting and particle systems, your 3060 handled it well. Great GPU for middle-segment.
And I probably agree with Jumbi, post-denoiser is a good thing if you set it run to start at 8-10k samples (I render on GTX1060), it hardly blurs the image, removing small amounts of noise, while working adaptively. In my renders, I saw that areas where there was more noise were more blurred than others.
But not always necessary.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes