Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
It depends what he's got, but in general, yes, you're right. It really depends on the tasks at hand. For instance, for most of my gaming, my Ryzen 9 3900X is absolutely beastly, it runs like a solid champ. When it comes to something like Star Citizen, though, I'd be better off with a 5600 3D or whatever it is. It can't be clocked up as well as my chip, and doesn't have the raw computational output, but that huge cache drastically boosts performance over most standard chips.

Most games, not unlike what we all play here, are quite adequately run on much older hardware. My last desktop was an i7-7700k, the one before that (which I gave to my housemate) is an i7-970. Six cores, 48GB of DD3 in triple-channel mode. The base clocks are lower, but despite that, it is still a beast of a processor. Very few programs that we run on our machines are really running into significant hardware bottlenecks. Prior to AMD pushing out the Ryzen 2 series, despite many revisions in their CPU lineups, processor improvements had been practically dormant for a decade.

Given a choice, though, I would absolutely still do all the rendering with a machine that was at least no more than 4 years old on the CPU/mobo architecture if I had a choice, and that's where DPC is at right now. He's got a choice. As long as the new GPUs don't need better than what he's got (PCIe 4.0, for instance) then I suspect he'll be just fine doing only GPU upgrades for his rendering work.

If they come out with a significant memory architecture change/boost, that would be cool. Anything that speeds up the moving of the data is a good thing, but it also needs to be cost effective and semi-practical. I don't expect anyone, gamer or developer, with any sense to pay 3x the cost for only a 10% conditional improvement.

But since we won't see the new episode until next year now, I guess we'll see what DPC gets himself for Christmas. ;)
I even envy you a little, your CPU will be enough for you for many years to come. Ryzens are just a bomb, I myself planned a major update, but some circumstances decided for me.
Or maybe it’s not worth it, I don’t need huge capacities, and modern AAA games turn into a dump that needs to be dug up to find a nugget there.
As for the game. I think we are expecting a release in December, not next year. At the current speed of animation processing, he needs 8 weeks to complete the processing. 240 done, 280 posed, and up to 40 more he'll add. A total of 320. If there is a little less, well, we will get it earlier, but it is already clear that the DPC will not add a larger number. A week ago I predicted a release window of late November - early January 2023 and now I can be sure that this window has narrowed down to December. Unless force majeure occurs.:rolleyes:
Of course, if the remaining animations are easy, then we can wait for a miracle and get the game at the end of November, but this is already unlikely. But I think we'll get our Christmas present.;)

Last edited:

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
I even envy you a little, your CPU will be enough for you for many years to come. Ryzens are just a bomb, I myself planned a major update, but some circumstances decided for me.
If it makes you feel any better, I also envy me a little, and it was just pure luck at the time.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Or maybe it’s not worth it, I don’t need huge capacities, and modern AAA games turn into a dump that needs to be dug up to find a nugget there.

As for the game. I think we are expecting a release in December, not next year. At the current speed of animation processing, he needs 8 weeks to complete the processing. 240 done, 280 posed, and up to 40 more he'll add. A total of 320. If there is a little less, well, we will get it earlier, but it is already clear that the DPC will not add a larger number. A week ago I predicted a release window of late November - early January 2023 and now I can be sure that this window has narrowed down to December. Unless force majeure occurs.:rolleyes:
I think you're an optimist, but I hope you're right about DPC's schedule. As for the AAA titles.. I don't ever pay for software until I've already tried a cracked copy in the wilds, I've been burned too many times by pre-order garbage releases and stores with a zero-returns policy on opened software. Fuck those guys. The only folks that get my money now are the ones who have provided a quality product first. Hell, that's why I own 2 legit copies of Stellaris and the expansions (Steam and GOG). Played that sucker for years, it was great, it was worth picking it up on both platforms.

VNs are in a special niche of software, though, in that we are (almost) all playing them as they're developed, rather than post-completion, so it's a lot easier to size them up early in the development stages to decide if it's worth it or not, whereas you've got Baldur's Gate 3, which has been in early access for the last 2 years, and at the rate they're going, it truly wouldn't surprise me to see BaDIK get finished first.

Okay, I'd better stop, I'm working myself up into angry rant territory..

THIS IS YOUR FAULT, DPC! I'm suffering withdrawals over here.

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020
Brothers!

Bare Witness just updated, Pale Carnations is about to, and there are many, many others worthy of distracting us on this website while we wait. Throw a few bucks at something that surprises you and relax a bit :). A House In the Rift is fantastic so far. I am more than willing to be patient while Doc perfects this next chapter.

I'm looking forward to this Season as much as any of you but I want it to be thorough and unrushed.

I highly suggest everyone watch this film. Try to be patient. Imagine if the Sistine Chapel ceiling was nothing but renders of your best girl. Would you pope out on the Doc?

Reactions: sava75

Lightaces

Aug 3, 2018
Wonder if he splurges on the 40 - series cards from NIVIDIA and boosts this. Anyone know his current setup?
If he follows the same pattern as the last gen, he’ll likely upgrade his cards between episodes so as to not interrupt the game development, though he could certainly add new PC’s with the new cards.

Cost is not an issue. He makes more than enough to buy proper tools for his work, and they are absolutely tax deductible business expenses.

In the EU, 3600 watts is ~15 amps (220V, remember, if you are from North America). Now, I don’t know about Sweden, but in the USA we tend towards 100-200amp household services, and given the 120V/220v thing, I’d assume in the EU they tend towards 50-100 amps. So, as long as the circuits are run correctly (I.e., run off of 3-4 separate circuits), the power draw shouldn’t be an issue, though it’s gonna get expensive this winter!!! Thanks Putin! But again, given his success, I’d be surprised if the cost proves an issue. If it does, he could always rent time on a render farm somewhere with cheaper power, but it seems unlikely.

Kamii312

Sep 2, 2020
I have a question:
I have to download each season for themself or they're in a unique file
Srry for the broken english.

Kassandara

Aug 24, 2022
If he follows the same pattern as the last gen, he’ll likely upgrade his cards between episodes so as to not interrupt the game development, though he could certainly add new PC’s with the new cards.

Cost is not an issue. He makes more than enough to buy proper tools for his work, and they are absolutely tax deductible business expenses.

In the EU, 3600 watts is ~15 amps (220V, remember, if you are from North America). Now, I don’t know about Sweden, but in the USA we tend towards 100-200amp household services, and given the 120V/220v thing, I’d assume in the EU they tend towards 50-100 amps. So, as long as the circuits are run correctly (I.e., run off of 3-4 separate circuits), the power draw shouldn’t be an issue, though it’s gonna get expensive this winter!!! Thanks Putin! But again, given his success, I’d be surprised if the cost proves an issue. If it does, he could always rent time on a render farm somewhere with cheaper power, but it seems unlikely.
Btw 230V atleast here, I'd assume it's the same in Sweden. And hopefully electricity cost doesn't skyrocket as much as we thought :KEK:

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
On the plus side, with all those things running, he could probably loop those in place instead of a proper furnace for heating his home for the winter. Heck, that'd give him a reason to keep working!

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
If it makes you feel any better, I also envy me a little, and it was just pure luck at the time.
Yes, that's a lot of luck, congratulations. Putting together a powerful car in the last few years has been a serious investment. In all this shortage of components and mining boom.

I think you're an optimist, but I hope you're right about DPC's schedule. As for the AAA titles.. I don't ever pay for software until I've already tried a cracked copy in the wilds, I've been burned too many times by pre-order garbage releases and stores with a zero-returns policy on opened software. Fuck those guys. The only folks that get my money now are the ones who have provided a quality product first. Hell, that's why I own 2 legit copies of Stellaris and the expansions (Steam and GOG). Played that sucker for years, it was great, it was worth picking it up on both platforms.

VNs are in a special niche of software, though, in that we are (almost) all playing them as they're developed, rather than post-completion, so it's a lot easier to size them up early in the development stages to decide if it's worth it or not, whereas you've got Baldur's Gate 3, which has been in early access for the last 2 years, and at the rate they're going, it truly wouldn't surprise me to see BaDIK get finished first.
Yes, I was an optimist when I wrote about November .. and how many optimists there were who talked about going out on Halloween and even September. :KEK:
Now with these figures I look at things more realistically. Of course, it's a pity that the episode was so delayed, but I'm glad to see how its development is coming to an end.
But I will not throw stones at people who talked about September-October. When these predictions were alive, we were looking at 4,000 renders and 275 animations, so they were realistic for this amount of content at this development speed. But Pink considered that the episode would be incomplete and added something.
By the way, I myself love Paradox games, Stellaris and HOI4 - hundreds of gameplay hours on my count. And I never preorder anything, it's like buying a pig in a poke.

Okay, I'd better stop, I'm working myself up into angry rant territory..

THIS IS YOUR FAULT, DPC! I'm suffering withdrawals over here.

Darkwen

Forum Fanatic
Nov 10, 2020
Yes, that's a lot of luck, congratulations. Putting together a powerful car in the last few years has been a serious investment. In all this shortage of components and mining boom.

Yes, I was an optimist when I wrote about November .. and how many optimists there were who talked about going out on Halloween and even September. :KEK:
Now with these figures I look at things more realistically. Of course, it's a pity that the episode was so delayed, but I'm glad to see how its development is coming to an end.
But I will not throw stones at people who talked about September-October. When these predictions were alive, we were looking at 4,000 renders and 275 animations, so they were realistic for this amount of content at this development speed. But Pink considered that the episode would be incomplete and added something.
By the way, I myself love Paradox games, Stellaris and HOI4 - hundreds of gameplay hours on my count. And I never preorder anything, it's like buying a pig in a poke.

One thing that might get over look is DPC likely knew there would only be one EP this year so he put as much as he could in EP9 to make up for that fact. If it works that reminds to be seen. As I said before I think its going to be great but I don't think he can have another year like this as far as development goes

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
I finally reached the part where
but since my route have been going for MJ, Sage and Jill, Jill knows something’s up. Even at the library, MJ are still a little upset when Jill corrected Derek that MC and her is dating and not dated.

Idk if this will go well with the Jill ending or not but I’m just going with it for now but I do have backup saves just in case.
The dick pic part is hilarious but that scene in the library bothered me so much that I started new Jill and Josy/Maya playthroughs. I'm pretty anal about stuff like that. It's like the feeling where everyone knows you have dirty laundry but you don't exactly want to be wearing it out in public.

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
Numbers two weeks in a row! Christmas has come early! :D

DPC completed 198 static renders and 9 animations this week. This brings his overall average up to ~149 statics and 7.5 animations per week since the Interlude launched. We also have revised target numbers, ~4875 for statics and 280-320 for animations; that's a net win for us as the tiny increase in statics is well worth the 25 fewer animations expected (on average - actual results may still vary). Here are the charts:
Thanks to the lowered targets and a slight increase in animation rendering, we're now on target to complete animations around the start of December. With a bit of luck (DPC did say there are up to 40 more animations to pose so it might be fewer) I think we could make up enough ground to permit a (late) November release. So all in all I'd say the news is good, though we still have a while to wait. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.
Funny you mention Christmas since that might be when we play it lol
Also that one excerpt about being prepared for the last few animations taking a while didn't sit well with me. On one hand, I thought we were done with that business of "really long animations that will take a while to render". On the other hand, I don't know why he'd say that if it didn't mean the number of animations per week was going to take a hit. Then again, it's not like everyone has a source of people tracking the progress of the game to minute details like this. ;) So he could just be saying "Don't think this is going to come out by Halloween."

Reactions: ename144

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
One thing that might get over look is DPC likely knew there would only be one EP this year so he put as much as he could in EP9 to make up for that fact. If it works that reminds to be seen. As I said before I think its going to be great but I don't think he can have another year like this as far as development goes
That seems a bit less likely to me, considering he was talking about going back to smaller episodes, to rein in the bloat of the last several episodes he had released.

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
I mean I'm not going to hold my breath but I'll be pleasantly surprised if that's the case.

Reactions: Darkwen

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
I have a feeling that Episode 9 will be incredibly cool, such a magnum opus of the whole game.
I hope that he speeds up and the next ones will be more balanced, but... it's hard to predict.

Reactions: Darkwen
4.80 star(s) 1,528 Votes