Oliver Wendell Homely

May 9, 2020
He's kinda an egotistical nob but he's not a scammer or a milker his Patreon seem fine with the time taken and they're the ones that matter not us pirates and fuck even most pirates on here seem to love him. He also adds more workload not less, scammers don't tend to do that. The problem is more how Patreon development works (especially successful ones) combined with peoples belief that giving creators a completely free reign and no limits automatically = better game.
You might see that as the problem with Patreon development, but I think what many complainers (on this site, especially) don't understand is that Patreon is not like Steam on an installment plan or something. Supporters on Patreon aren't investing in stocks or even buying a product. They are supporting a developer. Full stop.

Historically, many famous artists we know of today (from Michaelangelo and da Vinci to Picasso to Jackson Pollock) had patrons. The same with famous composers, like Mozart and Beethoven. Sometimes their patrons commissioned a piece and other times their patrons paid them a stipend (so the artist could eat rather than starve). Patrons helped artists realize their visions, however the artists wanted to do it.

Of course, DPC's "Being a DIK" isn't going to stand the test of time (probably) as Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling or Mozart's The Abduction from the Seraglio, but the principle is the same. Sometimes those great artists from the past lost patrons because they were pains in the ass or their drinking or other personal problems prevented them from completing any work. Today, some game devs lose supporters for similar reasons.

What galls me is all the whiners here aren't even complaining about delayed releases on Steam or some other platform so they can buy the updates, like honest customers. Instead, they mock Patreon supporters and DPC but then happily jerk off to the new episode as soon as they can pirate it here. Their response to my post here will be they have a right to their opinions and they have the right to express that opinion. Of course they do. But why should anyone give a shit about what they have to say? Without Patreon supporters, there wouldn't be a game at all. So put up or shut up, I say.

Orgitas

Jan 5, 2023
You might see that as the problem with Patreon development, but I think what many complainers (on this site, especially) don't understand is that Patreon is not like Steam on an installment plan or something. Supporters on Patreon aren't investing in stocks or even buying a product. They are supporting a developer. Full stop.

Historically, many famous artists we know of today (from Michaelangelo and da Vinci to Picasso to Jackson Pollock) had patrons. The same with famous composers, like Mozart and Beethoven. Sometimes their patrons commissioned a piece and other times their patrons paid them a stipend (they the artist could eat rather than starve). Patrons helped artists realize their visions, however the artists wanted to do it.

Of course, DPC's "Being a DIK" isn't going to stand the test of time (probably) as Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling or Mozart's The Abduction from the Seraglio, but the principle is the same. Sometimes those great artists from the past lost patrons because they were pains in the ass or their drinking or other personal problems prevented them from completing any work. Today, some game devs lose supporters for similar reasons.

What galls me is all the whiners here aren't even complaining about delayed releases on Steam or some other platform so they can buy the updates, like honest customers. Instead, they mock Patreon supporters and DPC but then happily jerk off to the new episode as soon as they can pirate it here. Their response to my post here will be they have a right to their opinions and they have the right to express that opinion. Of course they do. But why should anyone give a shit about what they have to say? Without Patreon supporters, there wouldn't be a game at all. So put up or shut up, I say.
Could you imagine it though? The year is 4,563 A.D... You walk into the Louvre and join a tour. The guide brings you forward and says "This work of art dates back over 2,000 years. Titled Being a Dik..."

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
The "rich steal" arguement while valid in a vacuum doesnt't apply here, since DPC is literally holding on to a lottery ticket with every delay. He's not cashing in $XXmillionen for what 50-60k patreon money ? Yea, I'm gonna say no to that one... :D

Just imagine Steam pulling Adult games again... he would lose tens of millions over peanuts, and he's still not that stupid.

I agree on the perfectionist part, it's very obvious that he is aware that BaD is the one thing in his lifetime where he reached the absolute top and he wants to make it better and better and more and more groundbreaking than anything that's out there. He wants to be "that guy" again and again, to be the first, to set the bar and leave something behind that nobody will ever forget.

It's funny, you know how many people pop up here and say "Oh but this and that game is so much better than BaD" and so on...Artemis, one of the games often mentioned...dude made 70k on steam, and that's before the cut steam takes. It's ridiculous just how far ahead DPC is and im so very sure, that that's the stuff that gets him hard and he craves more of it.

I don't think he's bored in particular, I think he wants to be showered with "Oh wow, we never thought we would see that in an adult game" or "Wow, that's a first", and nothing else matters to him. Dude is living on planet DPC and he makes his own rules.

He is also aware, and I think that's what most people here don't realise, that while every other developer is at least to a degree depended on F95 and Patreon, he won the freedom, thanks to steam, to no longer give a fuck about either one.

I think people have to come to term, that developing time will never decrease, because he always tries to beat himself and come up with something new, and these things just take more time by default.

Ironically, he would make more money, by just settling on one standard, releasing episode after episode, then the full game remaster and ride of into the sunset, but dude got addicted to the praise and there is no way back now.

Just imagine if there would be someone out there to actually challenge him, boy oh boy 24-36 months per episode would be considered "fast" :D
in my opinion you greatly underestimate the role of patreon in the DPC empire, from your discourse it would almost seem to be a nuisance for a few pennies

clearly that is not the case, and that is regardless of the ratios of the different revenues.

the third season can bring him all the money in the world, but he has to finish it, his supporters assure him 50-60k a month, and history shows us how they continue to support developers often for no apparent reason.

I don't know if Steam alone would hold up its myth, do you think in 3 years they would be there to welcome the new release the way the second season was welcomed? 3 years is a long time...

Reactions: TimHawk

TimHawk

Dec 12, 2017
The most watched streamer on Twitch was XQC. He probably made more money in a year than DPC will in his entire life. XQC will have enough money to last his life, his kids lives and his grandkids lives but he still left the biggest streaming platform as their number 1 streamer to go to Kick a newer streaming service that a lot of people hate and he did that for money. The guy has more money than he will ever need yet still moved for more money.

If DPC made $100 million from the game it does not mean money is removed from his decision making process. Why hasn't he reduced the prices on his patreon? Why does it cost $40 Australian to get access to the game the day it releases? Why hasn't he reduced the cost so it is $10 to get access to the game the day it releases?

It doesn't matter how much money someone has. When money is flowing in by the thousands each month 99.9% of people will want to keep that going as long as possible. Even if he has $100 million what make you think he doesn't want to bump that up to $200 million one day. The more money he has means the more opportunities his kids will have to do or own whatever they want.

I agree that he is not a scammer. He delivers the product people pay for.
"As of 2023, xQc is estimated to be worth around $10 million." So besides the fact that xQc has zero to do with DPC, im just gonna let that stand and move on from comparison.

As for the rest, I don't know what exactly you don't understand about steam being his main income, Season 2 made him an income worth between 10 times to 50 times of what he makes on patreon in a YEAR and that by delaying the steam release, he is losing out on a multitude of what he makes from patreon in investments or simple interests. It just doesn't make any sense.

And I never said that money doesn't matter to him, I said that it provided him the freedom to do things however the fuck he wants and that he doesn't care if he bans patreons left and right or if it takes a fuckload of time to release an episode. Money doesn't factor into the equation for him anymore, he wants to be remembered, to release stuff that will set the new standard and constantly challenge what's possible.

If he wanted to maximise his income, he would release a new episode every 6 months, get the Seasons out on steam and then start game 2 and then game 3 and not fiddle with 60fps animation that nobody fucking asked for.

To roughly quote Moneyball: "The greatest thing money provides you with is the abilitly to no longer give a fuck what anyone else thinks is right."

Reactions: funkymonkeyjedi

TimHawk

Dec 12, 2017
in my opinion you greatly underestimate the role of patreon in the DPC empire, from your discourse it would almost seem to be a nuisance for a few pennies

clearly that is not the case, and that is regardless of the ratios of the different revenues.

the third season can bring him all the money in the world, but he has to finish it, his supporters assure him 50-60k a month, and history shows us how they continue to support developers often for no apparent reason.

I don't know if Steam alone would hold up its myth, do you think in 3 years they would be there to welcome the new release the way the second season was welcomed? 3 years is a long time...
How many other developers do you know then who ban patreons left and right for saying "they don't like something" ? Would he rather have 1000 than 100, yea sure, but he has his priorities set and money ain't on top anymore. Nothing shall taint his masterpiece and nobody shall say otherwise.

He is undoubtedly the most insecure developer I've ever seen, if he would have a fan meeting he probably wouldn't get 3 words out, but steam bought him the freedom to do what nobody else can.

I think Steam has become the myth, that's his legacy. I can't even imagine how hard he must've faped when his game was the most played game on steam for 2 weeks and 4 days and I think that is all that's on his mind, he wants more, he wants bigger and he wants a crown on his head.

And again I wish we had more accurate data on all the other plattforms, we sadly don't know but Season 2...well you decide it either changed him forever or it brought out the DPC that he always was but held back to not alienate his "customers". When that dependecy fell away, they all started to live in a 2 choice world, treat DPC like an infallible god or fuck off.

And just to make it clear, I think he is fucked in the head something fierce, and that something or someone should pull him down to earth, I just down know what or who that could be.

Melissa fan

Sep 23, 2019
Say whatever you wanna say but I don't think he is delaying the updates for the money
60fps adds a lot of time on already very long development time and adds no new content. I think 60fps is a excuse to add on an extra month to each episode to get e few months of patreon money before the game ends. We will just have to agree to disagree on that.

when there are literal Dev who get away with posting 500/1000 renders after 5/6 months. Those games doesn't have any free roam/pack quest/good quality animations/decent music/crazy level branching/etc. Sometimes they are even done by a company/group yet they produce less contents than a man who is doing everything by himself. I have been playing this games since episode 1 and there were alot of different games at that time which is now abandoned or still stuck at v...xxx and some are making excuses or something like they are sick/handicapped. Many games here doesn't even have animations lol.
None of them make the money DPC does. I don't know what that has to do with DPC delaying updates for money.

I personally think it a dick move to call someone a milker since he want/trying his game to be in top quality in every aspects. :BootyTime:
Sure but we don't really know the reason for 60fps. It could be to make the game better or it could be for more money. If it was to make the game the best it could be then why 60fps and not fixing the complaints about shiney characters.

Reactions: ImSenjou

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
How many other developers do you know then who ban patreons left and right for saying "they don't like something" ? Would he rather have 1000 than 100, yea sure, but he has his priorities set and money ain't on top anymore. Nothing shall taint his masterpiece and nobody shall say otherwise.

He is undoubtedly the most insecure developer I've ever seen, if he would have a fan meeting he probably wouldn't get 3 words out, but steam bought him the freedom to do what nobody else can.

I think Steam has become the myth, that's his legacy. I can't even imagine how hard he must've faped when his game was the most played game on steam for 2 weeks and 4 days and I think that is all that's on his mind, he wants more, he wants bigger and he wants a crown on his head.

And again I wish we had more accurate data on all the other plattforms, we sadly don't know but Season 2...well you decide it either changed him forever or it brought out the DPC that he always was but held back to not alienate his "customers". When that dependecy fell away, they all started to live in a 2 choice world, treat DPC like an infallible god or fuck off.

And just to make it clear, I think he is fucked in the head something fierce, and that something or someone should pull him down to earth, I just down know what or who that could be.
it's not like he banned such a large number of patreons, banning a dozen once in a while while you have 13,000 doesn't seem like this Russian roulette to me, it's part of his cult, and even that after BADIK is likely to end

you also describe him as insecure, and insecure people like certainty, Patreon is one, why should he give up a year of people standing there clapping his hands whatever announcement he makes before reading it?

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Everyone is so busy arguing that no one has said anything about how shitty Sage's render was. She's glowing like someone put cheap sunblock on her again. Is that the kind of quality DPC wants? If so, I have bad news for him.
In the last 2 chapters she's like that, at least here it makes sense that she's sweating

DPC needs to fix huge flaws on her LIs, not increase animation frames

Melissa fan

Sep 23, 2019
"As of 2023, xQc is estimated to be worth around $10 million." So besides the fact that xQc has zero to do with DPC, im just gonna let that stand and move on from comparison.
Between 2019 and 2021 he got 8.5 million from Twitch and that doesn't include 2015 to 2019, 2022, 2023, donations, Youtube or sponsors. The reason I bring him up is because you said "it removed money entirely from his decision making process." so I bought up someone with more money that still uses money in their decision making process.

As for the rest, I don't know what exactly you don't understand about steam being his main income, Season 2 made him an income worth between 10 times to 50 times of what he makes on patreon in a YEAR and that by delaying the steam release, he is losing out on a multitude of what he makes from patreon in investments or simple interests. It just doesn't make any sense.
His estimated patreon earing is 30k to 90k a month. That is only an estimate so it could be 300k or 400k a month for all we know. If it took him 1 year to make season 5 he could get $1 million from patreon and $5 million from steam but if he delayed that by a year he would still get his $5 million from steam but he would aso get another million from patreon.

Money doesn't factor into the equation for him anymore
Unless you are DPC you can not know that. Also for a lot of rich, smart and successful business people money is behind everything.

If he wanted to maximise his income, he would release a new episode every 6 months, get the Seasons out on steam and then start game 2 and then game 3 and not fiddle with 60fps animation that nobody fucking asked for.
Game 2 and 3 could flop losing him a lot of money. Saints Row 2022 was the newest game in the franchise and it flopped, Red Dead Online was made by Rockstar games that made GTA Online one of the biggest games in the world and it flopped. Criminal Minds a show that ran for 15 years had 2 spinoffs that flopped. Just because he has one of the biggest AVNs around doesn't mean his next one will make the same money for him.

ProxyGist

May 8, 2023
DPC needs to fix huge flaws on her LIs, not increase animation frames
He probably thinks that's "beautiful". The same goes for Jill, Maya and the other girls. Their models are quite controversial from an aesthetic point of view, but it looks beautiful from DPC point of view.

TimHawk

Dec 12, 2017
it's not like he banned such a large number of patreons, banning a dozen once in a while while you have 13,000 doesn't seem like this Russian roulette to me, it's part of his cult, and even that after BADIK is likely to end

you also describe him as insecure, and insecure people like certainty, Patreon is one, why should he give up a year of people standing there clapping his hands whatever announcement he makes before reading it?
But he isn't giving up on them, he's simply letting them know that they don't hold any power over him. And he even bans youtubers who gave his game a glorified review but critised ONE thing. So free marketing ? No, thank you, not if you taint the one thing that matters.

And what insecure people like even more than security is to become someone, to be admired.

His safest route would be to get Season 3 and 4 out asap, cash in, then work on a full release remaster, afterall the quality for Season 2 was good enough to make millions.

But that's clearly not what drives him, because again he is many things, but not stupid. He knows how to cash in and to maximise his current fame, because as you said, you never know how things change.

Have you ever felt "afraid" that he might quit and stop before BaD is done ? I sure haven't, I don't even think he could if he tried. When he talked about BaD in his Q&A's its "almost" like he is in awe with his own work. Sure he sprinkles the occasional modesty in, because he knows how the game works, but I think his "legend" is all that drives him.

Can't wait until his biographical movie releases...it's gonna be epic :D

Lovetities

Apr 3, 2020
Don't worry, we still have yet to hear any news he contracted pussyitis due to someone ruining/harming his business.
I got banned from his discord when I once asked for APK help. Didn't knew that apk was pirated lmfao :HideThePain: It be cool if he contacted me or even contracted. I do love good contract. I honestly don't care about 60 FPS but I love nsfw animations and if it improves the animations then I don't really care how long it takes. I am biased but I always preferred quality over quantity. There is already two many half-baked games here eh.. :BootyTime:

Lovetities

Apr 3, 2020
60fps adds a lot of time on already very long development time and adds no new content. I think 60fps is a excuse to add on an extra month to each episode to get e few months of patreon money before the game ends. We will just have to agree to disagree on that.

None of them make the money DPC does. I don't know what that has to do with DPC delaying updates for money.

Sure but we don't really know the reason for 60fps. It could be to make the game better or it could be for more money. If it was to make the game the best it could be then why 60fps and not fixing the complaints about shiney characters.
Well, whatever you say as I am not really well informed about this thing. I just don't call someone milker or money hungry when the update didn't even dropped yet or see what the upgrade in animations.

TimHawk

Dec 12, 2017
I got banned from his discord when I once asked for APK help. Didn't knew that apk was pirated lmfao :HideThePain: It be cool if he contacted me or even contracted. I do love good contract. I honestly don't care about 60 FPS but I love nsfw animations and if it improves the animations then I don't really care how long it takes. I am biased but I always preferred quality over quantity. There is already two many half-baked games here eh.. :BootyTime:
Seems like a perfectly valid reason to ban someone ... :D

I seriously hope you are no longer his patreon...

• Sad
Reactions: Lovetities

Lovetities

Apr 3, 2020
Seems like a perfectly valid reason to ban someone ... :D

I seriously hope you are no longer his patreon...
Eh, I was never his patreons. I just got into his dicord probably from the link here or in-game. Tho, i would rather support a new Dev with potential then a well-established one:BootyTime:

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Have you ever felt "afraid" that he might quit and stop before BaD is done ? I sure haven't, I don't even think he could if he tried. When he talked about BaD in his Q&A's its "almost" like he is in awe with his own work. Sure he sprinkles the occasional modesty in, because he knows how the game works, but I think his "legend" is all that drives him.
I've never thought that he doesn't want to finish it, but I'm quite concerned that he can't finish it, there is no balance in what he does (or at least what he tells us he does)

I have a lot of doubts that anyone will ever see the BADIK ending true ending, not ending put together at the last to end the season

He probably thinks that's "beautiful". The same goes for Jill, Maya and the other girls. Their models are quite controversial from an aesthetic point of view, but it looks beautiful from DPC point of view.
but it's not a matter of ugly models, it's a matter of characters changing strangely between scenes

Josy's height ranges between five feet and six feet depending on who is standing next to her, in addition to her steel teeth
Bella's measurements vary with even greater unpredictability
if I make a composition of faces of Maya or Jill it is hard to tell it is the same character in the same game

these are flaws that a perfectionist should correct, one who wants his game to be "the best."

but no, let's fill it with animations!! in the end who cares about LIs!!!

TimHawk

Dec 12, 2017
Eh, I was never his patreons. I just got into his dicord probably from the link here or in-game. Tho, i would rather support a new Dev with potential then a well-established one:BootyTime:
I don't even care to remember how much money I spent on patreon, multiple devs for a very long time, but at some point I just got burned one time too many and from that point on it's steam or nothing.

I gladly pay DPC for a full Season on steam, the game is top notch after all, but never again him or anyone else on patreon.

So many things get taken for granted these days, twice I already had the "Development has to be put on hold for a month or two, while I prepare the steam release." How the fuck is that my problem ? Put your fucking patreon on hold if you don't develop shit for a month or two, but these devs all take it for granted now. And don't get me started on devs like ocean...whoever still pays him a single cent has to be fucked in the head beyond repair.

A360

Jun 29, 2018
Yep his Patreon is happy with him, there is zero reason for him to change and that IS Patreon working as intended. It is what it is, I think most know that but bitching is fun. I do feel an outcome of how Patreon works is longer dev times and there is simply going to be upsides and downsides to that. Most talented indie devs couldn't sustain a development of 5-10 years without ongoing crowdfunding so get the game done because they need the release. That also naturally tends to makes them focus and avoids bloat and feature creep. That aspect is different for Patreon devs and we see it on here a lotSG and SOC as examples would not really be sustainable without Patreon as both are looking at at least 8+ years to finish. It's why I stopped backing, 5-10 years is an excessively long time to support someone, at least for me. I have kids already, I don't need another virtual one to keep throwing money at for years on end.

What galls me is all the whiners here aren't even complaining about delayed releases on Steam or some other platform so they can buy the updates, like honest customers. Instead, they mock Patreon supporters and DPC but then happily jerk off to the new episode as soon as they can pirate it here.
Heh F95 all over :D. If patrons don't report a thread and give that link no one here plays, same for updates and previews. Patrons make this site work not just the development of a game itself. It's a pirate site though mockery of those paying for the booty is kinda par for the course! I also think the milkers, scammers and abandoned projects have eroded people's patience at this point so any long dev time is going to smell like bullshit, unfair maybe but unavoidable.

The Patreon and Discord are essentially a giant circlejerk echo chamber though. Seriously I get liking a creator but there's more dick riding there than in the actual game. Every inch of mockery is deserved for that.

Could you imagine it though? The year is 4,563 A.D... You walk into the Louvre and join a tour. The guide brings you forward and says "This work of art dates back over 2,000 years. Titled Being a Dik..."
Somewhere there's an academic studying Roman or Greek porn. Which means it's a real possibility some academic in the future will be huddled over an AVN to study are porn habits.

Which means some cyberpunk dude is going to get traumatized by Madame's granny ass. DPC's true creative legacy.

4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes