Acsuka

Mar 25, 2023

1692360452845.png

Grab a cup of something and take a break. A large chunk of text without a tldr incoming.

First off... Boom! The 5000 render milestone was reached this week. Now episode 10 has more renders than episode 9 - the previously biggest episode in the game. And because I reached this milestone, I had to try and estimate how much is left in terms of development.

I have been working on art and coding all week. I started by completing two smaller scenes and one free-roam event. The better part of the week was spent on creating the last free-roam event of the episode. Since it's a new environment, there was environmental design to carry out first, and also preparation of the characters for it.

The dialogue for this free-roam event was written months ago, so it's a matter of creating the art and coding the events and buttons. It's a labor-intensive yet easy free-roam event to create, so I should be able to maintain a good speed without any speed bumps.

After the recent weeks of playing and polishing the game, my flowchart has been updated, and the following checklist is what the current state is like.

As I develop these episodes, I always ask you to take numbers with a grain of salt because the scene/render/animation count will change until the last few weeks of development. This is why it's always hard for me to give accurate estimates.

As you will notice below, the scene count is larger than I reported earlier because of the addition of some scenes that were needed to make some branches feel whole.

Checklist Episode 10
This is the current checklist of what's left to do before beta testing can begin.

Scenes
Three lewd scenes - One is written. Neither scene has any art.

Three free-roam events - One is almost complete, another has a few scenes left, and I'm ~70% through the last one. All writing is done. All need a different degree of testing and additional phone content.

Three normal scenes - One is written, one has partial writing, and one is planned. Neither scene has any art.

Art
Based on the scenes above, I estimate I must pose an additional ~600 static renders and 70-100 animations.

Current static render count: 4892 produced. 220 posed renders in the render queue. 5112 renders total.

Current animation count: 237 produced. 28 posed animations in the render queue. 265 animations total.

Code
Pack Quest - In the planning phase.

Vault - Ensure that numbers are placed and work as intended.

Rewards/2D art - 70% completed. The rest will be placed in free-roam events, story scenes, and the Vault. Testing and possibly correction of code are needed.

Gallery - The lewd gallery has been coded but can't be tested until all lewd scenes have been made. Some art remains for miniature images.

Phone content - There's some work left with the Rooster and Chat apps. Also, the new phone gallery will get additional planned content. The music app needs updated code to include new songs.

Bios - I always leave bios for the last part of the development.

Episode end screen and report - In the planning phase.

Credits - I haven't added new patrons to the credit section yet.

Sound
SFX work has been done as I play-tested parts of the episode; I estimate it's ~80-90% done.

For music, it's the same as with SFX. Most of the scenes that are complete have songs in place. 25 new songs have been added so far.

Testing
I haven't played the episode from start to finish yet because of gaps in the episode and missing content near the end.

My personal tests and polishing remain. How long they take usually depends on how much I have played the episode during development and whether new features are involved.

Episode 10 is packed with new things for the game, meaning testing might take some extra time to ensure high quality.

My thoughts on the checklist.
The animations will be the most demanding part, but cannot be skipped or trimmed as the scenes are essential for the episode.

The static render estimation can change in either direction but is likely lower than stated.

The code tasks are all fast tasks to complete. I estimate that I could get all of them done within 1-2 days of work, but they depend on the art content I need to produce first.

The remaining work on SFX and Music won't take too long, 1-2 days here as well.

Testing is another demanding part. I have lots of new features to test this time around. And we are talking about the five main branches on top of some very ambitious branching within them.

As always, there will be waiting time for animations near the end of the development, and this is when I plan to perform my personal tests and polishing.

Hopefully, I have covered all aspects of the checklist, but I may have missed something minor - all big tasks are accounted for.

My plan going forward.
I plan to work with art until I need to write the last scenes. Animations will be posed intermittently.

I plan to be done with my testing as the final animation frames are produced, thus minimizing the time between the PCs being idle and the start of beta testing/proofreading. As usual, at least two weeks will be allotted for private beta testing and proofreading before the episode can be released on Patreon.

Next up for me is to continue with art on the free-roam I'm working on and hopefully be able to move on to other scenes later next week.

Have a nice weekend, and thanks for reading

Dr PinkCake
I don't even dare to look at these update logs anymore... You'll be Grandma Sage by the time this game is over... :cry:

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021

1692360452845.png

Checklist Episode 10
This is the current checklist of what's left to do before beta testing can begin.

Scenes

Three free-roam events - One is almost complete, another has a few scenes left, and I'm ~70% through the last one. All writing is done. All need a different degree of testing and additional phone content.

Three normal scenes - One is written, one has partial writing, and one is planned. Neither scene has any art.

Art
Based on the scenes above, I estimate I must pose an additional ~600 static renders and 70-100 animations.

Current static render count: 4892 produced. 220 posed renders in the render queue. 5112 renders total.

Current animation count: 237 produced. 28 posed animations in the render queue. 265 animations total.

Code

Rewards/2D art - 70% completed. The rest will be placed in free-roam events, story scenes, and the Vault. Testing and possibly correction of code are needed.

Gallery - The lewd gallery has been coded but can't be tested until all lewd scenes have been made. Some art remains for miniature images.

Phone content - There's some work left with the Rooster and Chat apps. Also, the new phone gallery will get additional planned content. The music app needs updated code to include new songs.

Sound
SFX work has been done as I play-tested parts of the episode; I estimate it's ~80-90% done.

For music, it's the same as with SFX. Most of the scenes that are complete have songs in place. 25 new songs have been added so far.

Testing
I haven't played the episode from start to finish yet because of gaps in the episode and missing content near the end.

My personal tests and polishing remain. How long they take usually depends on how much I have played the episode during development and whether new features are involved.

Episode 10 is packed with new things for the game, meaning testing might take some extra time to ensure high quality.

The animations will be the most demanding part, but cannot be skipped or trimmed as the scenes are essential for the episode.

The static render estimation can change in either direction but is likely lower than stated.

The code tasks are all fast tasks to complete. I estimate that I could get all of them done within 1-2 days of work, but they depend on the art content I need to produce first.

Testing is another demanding part. I have lots of new features to test this time around. And we are talking about the five main branches on top of some very ambitious branching within them.

As always, there will be waiting time for animations near the end of the development, and this is when I plan to perform my personal tests and polishing.

Hopefully, I have covered all aspects of the checklist, but I may have missed something minor - all big tasks are accounted for.

My plan going forward.
I plan to work with art until I need to write the last scenes. Animations will be posed intermittently.

I plan to be done with my testing as the final animation frames are produced, thus minimizing the time between the PCs being idle and the start of beta testing/proofreading. As usual, at least two weeks will be allotted for private beta testing and proofreading before the episode can be released on Patreon.

Next up for me is to continue with art on the free-roam I'm working on and hopefully be able to move on to other scenes later next week.

Dr PinkCake
"Current static render count: 4892 produced. 220 posed renders in the render queue. 5112 renders total."

4892 renders : 8 months = 611 renders/month = 1 more month

"Current animation count: 237 produced. 28 posed animations in the render queue. 265 animations total."

Same as above.

Add the rest + 2 "private beta testing" weeks = first half of november release IF EVERYTHING GOES SMOOTHLY.

anonnyscouse

Jul 25, 2020
Pretty sure you can't avoid it, I tried on my last playthrough. You're required to talk to Maya and Josy in that room when they're doing the detective bit and entering the room triggered the Matthew scene first. It's possible it depends on the order in which you talk to people during that section, but I doubt it.
That makes sense, that means that there's no route where Fuckface hasn't seen Matthew and Olivia together, so when he gets introduced to Mathew as Bianca's fiance he will know that Matthew is cheating on Bianca. Hell, Fuckface may even accidentally tell Bianca that Matthew is cheating on her if before he's introduced he apologises to Matthew and Olivia for walking in on them fucking at the Halloween party.

Harveztrau

Aug 8, 2017

1692360452845.png

Grab a cup of something and take a break. A large chunk of text without a tldr incoming.

First off... Boom! The 5000 render milestone was reached this week. Now episode 10 has more renders than episode 9 - the previously biggest episode in the game. And because I reached this milestone, I had to try and estimate how much is left in terms of development.

I have been working on art and coding all week. I started by completing two smaller scenes and one free-roam event. The better part of the week was spent on creating the last free-roam event of the episode. Since it's a new environment, there was environmental design to carry out first, and also preparation of the characters for it.

The dialogue for this free-roam event was written months ago, so it's a matter of creating the art and coding the events and buttons. It's a labor-intensive yet easy free-roam event to create, so I should be able to maintain a good speed without any speed bumps.

After the recent weeks of playing and polishing the game, my flowchart has been updated, and the following checklist is what the current state is like.

As I develop these episodes, I always ask you to take numbers with a grain of salt because the scene/render/animation count will change until the last few weeks of development. This is why it's always hard for me to give accurate estimates.

As you will notice below, the scene count is larger than I reported earlier because of the addition of some scenes that were needed to make some branches feel whole.

Checklist Episode 10

Scenes

Art

Code

Sound

Testing

My plan going forward.

Dr PinkCake
It looks awful, I'd preferred not to read it at all.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
When this game finally releases in its full form (as long as DPC delivers in writing) it's gonna be so worth it, this type of a product never seen before in its size and quality.

But the wait between each and every episode is only gonna get worse.
When it ends, if it ends, like all products with a long production time it will be terribly outdated, perhaps the last avn, probably the last renpy

ProxyGist

May 8, 2023
Art
So we end up with 5500-5600 renders and 365 animations. That's a lot, but it's unlikely we'll notice it on the first playthrough. I believe that in the best case we are waiting for the release in October.

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
When this game finally releases in its full form (as long as DPC delivers in writing) it's gonna be so worth it, this type of a product never seen before in its size and quality.

But the wait between each and every episode is only gonna get worse.
It really helps to follow some great games with a more "regular" update schedules that weren't blown beyond all proportions by their developers due to splitting them into 9 or so different paths (still counting) far to early. :HideThePain:

Then again, it could be worse. Just look at A Song of Ice and Fire. The last book published in the series came out, when the first season of the TV show was just released (July 2011!). That was over 12 years ago and Martin claimed a year ago, that the book is only about 3/4 done. So that would means another ~3 years until it is released. And it isn't even supposed to be the last volume. The guy will simply die before the book series is complete.

Bottom line: As good as BaDIK is, I really wouldn't make it my main game to follow on this site, that is just torture. :WeSmart:

Reactions: hawk784563

ProxyGist

May 8, 2023
When it ends, if it ends, like all products with a long production time it will be terribly outdated, perhaps the last avn, probably the last renpy
DAZ and renpy don't have an alternative anytime soon. Inceton Games are trying to create the third part of Echoes of Lust on the Unreal engine, but so far it's not working out well.
Totally fucked. That's minimum two months of work. No way he can handle this animations that fast, even if they are short.
I don't get, 70-100 animations for couple scenes left?
I believe his upgraded equipment will allow him to pass this stage without a problem. No more month long wait for animation rendering like last year. Everything is much smoother.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I dont think I agree, most recent AVN are still nothing compared to BAK.
'Thanks' to covid this was the golden age of the avn. But interest is already waning, the bubble is inevitably deflating. In 7-8 years, other outbreaks permitting, it will either have evolved into something new, non renpy, or it will be 'dead'

Badik will probably have the strength, economically, to survive but will basically be a relic

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
'Thanks' to covid this was the golden age of the avn. But interest is already waning, the bubble is inevitably deflating. In 7-8 years, other outbreaks permitting, it will either have evolved into something new, non renpy, or it will be 'dead'

Badik will probably have the strength, economically, to survive but will basically be a relic
In a few years most AVNs will be done with AIs anyway, certainly the art will be done by AI and probably a lot of the writing too.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: QuixoteTheDon

TRKaiser

Apr 11, 2023

1692360452845.png

Checklist Episode 10

Scenes

Art

Code

Sound

Testing

My plan going forward.

Dr PinkCake
I am like excited but man... If only the man had like one or two people to help him do things I'd be more excited lol... I know it will be good once he drops the update, but I also know it is still kinda far off... :confused:

ProxyGist

May 8, 2023

AVN fulfill the same function as regular indie games. They fill the void between AAA game releases. There are a lot of cool AAA games coming out at the end of the year, but then there's a lull again. DPC managed to get to the top of steam in the past, but that was only possible because there were no releases there. It's hard to guess what will happen next, but now it's especially difficult for newcomers to enter the genre and the demands of players have become higher.

Reactions: ChipLecsap
4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes