travelman

Dec 14, 2018
There's really not much to discuss about, 8+ months for update is ridiculous by every metric, especially considering he plans on 16 episodes as far as I know.

Increasing complexity with each of them is not a way forward, anyone can keep increasing complexity, the trick is making things good enough and still delivering product in reasonable time. It's like if someone was making shooter game and then be like "oh, a skateboarding minigame would be fun, let's add that", "oh, there's 10 guns to choose from, but lets add another 10 slightly different". I mean sure, that's neat, but is it really necessary?

"If I Had More Time I Would Write a Shorter Letter" is mindset DPC could benefit from.
And so could I while writing this post.

Don Sucio

Jan 17, 2021
Not even half of them.
Now you have my attencion. I was thinking that many of these animations will be for sex scenes and i was happy, but if they aren´t for sex scenes them will be animated situations and i´m not capable to imagine how situations could be... we know a part of the chapter is in a camping or something like that, i´m pretty sure will be some of them here, and of course the typical final scene animation... I can´t think in more, we will have to wait until we play it

rem3403

Oct 19, 2017
There's really not much to discuss about, 8+ months for update is ridiculous by every metric, especially considering he plans on 16 episodes as far as I know.

Increasing complexity with each of them is not a way forward, anyone can keep increasing complexity, the trick is making things good enough and still delivering product in reasonable time. It's like if someone was making shooter game and then be like "oh, a skateboarding minigame would be fun, let's add that", "oh, there's 10 guns to choose from, but lets add another 10 slightly different". I mean sure, that's neat, but is it really necessary?

"If I Had More Time I Would Write a Shorter Letter" is mindset DPC could benefit from.
Shut up

Orgitas

Jan 5, 2023

Well, every metric except for Maths. 5k+ still renders and very likey tipping over 20k renders, in total, including the animations. That a lone would like take 6+ months. Then all that writing, and coding, and testing. So 8+ months sounds reasonable in that context especially as he works alone. He, essentially, does the same amount of work Ocean takes to do in two years and does it in one.

Sadly, however, DPC has stated it is his mission to be the best and it is something that, likely, he will be if not already. One way to do that is to challenge yourself and get to the next hurdle.Which he interprets as doing more than what came before. Plenty of us would love it if he didn't push the boat every update - Quicker release schedules etc. Alas, we have what we have. Patience, after all, is a virtue.

WhackyRavenLand

Sep 3, 2018
All good. I'm patient and I've got soo many games on the backburner after BG3 that waiting is not an issue.
Looking forward to release, no need to rush.

1692360452845.png

Grab a cup of something and take a break. A large chunk of text without a tldr incoming.

First off... Boom! The 5000 render milestone was reached this week. Now episode 10 has more renders than episode 9 - the previously biggest episode in the game. And because I reached this milestone, I had to try and estimate how much is left in terms of development.

I have been working on art and coding all week. I started by completing two smaller scenes and one free-roam event. The better part of the week was spent on creating the last free-roam event of the episode. Since it's a new environment, there was environmental design to carry out first, and also preparation of the characters for it.

The dialogue for this free-roam event was written months ago, so it's a matter of creating the art and coding the events and buttons. It's a labor-intensive yet easy free-roam event to create, so I should be able to maintain a good speed without any speed bumps.

After the recent weeks of playing and polishing the game, my flowchart has been updated, and the following checklist is what the current state is like.

As I develop these episodes, I always ask you to take numbers with a grain of salt because the scene/render/animation count will change until the last few weeks of development. This is why it's always hard for me to give accurate estimates.

As you will notice below, the scene count is larger than I reported earlier because of the addition of some scenes that were needed to make some branches feel whole.

Checklist Episode 10
This is the current checklist of what's left to do before beta testing can begin.

Scenes
Three lewd scenes - One is written. Neither scene has any art.

Three free-roam events - One is almost complete, another has a few scenes left, and I'm ~70% through the last one. All writing is done. All need a different degree of testing and additional phone content.

Three normal scenes - One is written, one has partial writing, and one is planned. Neither scene has any art.

Art
Based on the scenes above, I estimate I must pose an additional ~600 static renders and 70-100 animations.

Current static render count: 4892 produced. 220 posed renders in the render queue. 5112 renders total.

Current animation count: 237 produced. 28 posed animations in the render queue. 265 animations total.

Code
Pack Quest - In the planning phase.

Vault - Ensure that numbers are placed and work as intended.

Rewards/2D art - 70% completed. The rest will be placed in free-roam events, story scenes, and the Vault. Testing and possibly correction of code are needed.

Gallery - The lewd gallery has been coded but can't be tested until all lewd scenes have been made. Some art remains for miniature images.

Phone content - There's some work left with the Rooster and Chat apps. Also, the new phone gallery will get additional planned content. The music app needs updated code to include new songs.

Bios - I always leave bios for the last part of the development.

Episode end screen and report - In the planning phase.

Credits - I haven't added new patrons to the credit section yet.

Sound
SFX work has been done as I play-tested parts of the episode; I estimate it's ~80-90% done.

For music, it's the same as with SFX. Most of the scenes that are complete have songs in place. 25 new songs have been added so far.

Testing
I haven't played the episode from start to finish yet because of gaps in the episode and missing content near the end.

My personal tests and polishing remain. How long they take usually depends on how much I have played the episode during development and whether new features are involved.

Episode 10 is packed with new things for the game, meaning testing might take some extra time to ensure high quality.

My thoughts on the checklist.
The animations will be the most demanding part, but cannot be skipped or trimmed as the scenes are essential for the episode.

The static render estimation can change in either direction but is likely lower than stated.

The code tasks are all fast tasks to complete. I estimate that I could get all of them done within 1-2 days of work, but they depend on the art content I need to produce first.

The remaining work on SFX and Music won't take too long, 1-2 days here as well.

Testing is another demanding part. I have lots of new features to test this time around. And we are talking about the five main branches on top of some very ambitious branching within them.

As always, there will be waiting time for animations near the end of the development, and this is when I plan to perform my personal tests and polishing.

Hopefully, I have covered all aspects of the checklist, but I may have missed something minor - all big tasks are accounted for.

My plan going forward.
I plan to work with art until I need to write the last scenes. Animations will be posed intermittently.

I plan to be done with my testing as the final animation frames are produced, thus minimizing the time between the PCs being idle and the start of beta testing/proofreading. As usual, at least two weeks will be allotted for private beta testing and proofreading before the episode can be released on Patreon.

Next up for me is to continue with art on the free-roam I'm working on and hopefully be able to move on to other scenes later next week.

Have a nice weekend, and thanks for reading

Dr PinkCake

Reactions: mike_ch and Ekzou

Mfka5

Oct 4, 2022
the longer the development of the game the more it will become outdated. i dont even remember whats the story of this shit anymore lmao
You can remind yourself by going through phone and look at every character and their important choices.

What i need is a professional on this site to read all that status update and estimate how long until release

Hahn1900

Jan 3, 2021
Now you have my attencion. I was thinking that many of these animations will be for sex scenes and i was happy, but if they aren´t for sex scenes them will be animated situations and i´m not capable to imagine how situations could be... we know a part of the chapter is in a camping or something like that, i´m pretty sure will be some of them here, and of course the typical final scene animation... I can´t think in more, we will have to wait until we play it
Hm, maybe you need to play EP9 again and dont skip anything, you will notice how DPC uses animations in that episode and that most of them are not used in lewd content. And it varys a lot regarding the complexity of those animations. In the lewd scenes we have many short ones, and some are very complex. same goes for animations outside of those sex/lewd scenes.

If i would have to count, MOSt of the complex animations were used in lewd content. But it doesnt matter for the numbers if a animations is short or complex, it will still be one animation.

EP9 especially had some really long and complex animations outside of the lewd content.

The interlude episode gave a good look ahead how DPC wanted to add and place animations starting with season 3 i think. The interlude doesnt have much lewd content, to be fair it doesnt include that much animations too. But most of the animations were added in scenes without lewd content in it. and thats how it goes in EP9 too.

Looking back i think... it started with EP5 that DPC wanted to create more and more animations outside of the lewd scenes. And with each episode the animations outside of the lewd scenes increased a lot. And EP9 has the most complex there too.

He said he have to do around 70-100 animations until he is finished now... it will be more close to the 100 than 70 as we know DPC. About 20 or 30 will be the complex kind. The rest more on the shorter side. We can assume that more of the complex ones will be added in the lewd content i guess. But most of the short ones will be for other things.

We dont know that much what is coming in EP10. But EP8 and 9 had a lot of animations outside of those lewd scenes, and very complex ones too. Some things will depend on the minigames too... if you ask me, he will add some animations into the brawler game now. and if he will do that, you can bet that this alone will add at least 15-20 animations. Maybe he already has done that. I can picture some other things in my head already too, there will be a science course starting with EP10 and we already got a preview of the classroom... with some chemcials and such. As i know DPC, he will add animations there too, like let some things fall to the ground and shatter or something like that, and maybe smoke or such. And if DPC starts somethng like this, he cant let go of it and will add one thing after another, and during doing so he will get new ideas in his head of adding animations here and there... it piles up a lot if he is once "in the flow" he just goes overboard than...

Not so much for the lewd content though. He pretty much plan the lewd scenes ahead. He has in mind which girl will get them and where. And than he has a pretty much "finished" picture in his head how those lewd scenes should look like.

But in the other scenes, he creates a lot of content "on the fly" and even getting ideas to add animations in mingames and such.

Overall i guess, for episode 10 he planned 120-150 animations for the lewd scenes ahead. and has done maybe 80-90% of them already. It depends on how complex the remaining 3 lewd scenes are. Sometimes those lewd scenes are very short, we dont know. I guess at least one of those remaining lewd scenes is a bigger one. But it could very well be just one short handjob too. He will reach 350 animations in total. about 200 of them will be outside of lewd content i think. At least thats the course he was going for in the last episodes. As a matter of fact, EP6 had the most lewd scenes out of all episodes so far (who would have thaught hm?)... but the most short ones too. 19 lewd scenes in EP6 with animations, but 10 were during the DnD game, which are VERY short ones. I wouldnt even count those scnes, cause they are only dreams/fantasy just like the dreams about cathy or Jade in the early episodes too, but nontheless, those are lewd scenes, and animated too.

Well, we have to wait, but if you ask me, if he has yet to pose 70-100 animations and only 3 lewd scenes remaining, most of those animations will not be in the lewd scenes.

Hahn1900

Jan 3, 2021
You can remind yourself by going through phone and look at every character and their important choices.

What i need is a professional on this site to read all that status update and estimate how long until release
:coffee: Updated BigTable™ with the recent informations.
WeMightWaitTheSnow! :HideThePain:

• Last Posed Animations numbers were the 9 June; 80 days ago with 213; as now +52 with 265.
  • Last week there was about +4800 Renders, as now about +312 with 5112.
  • Now let's talk about the actual per week ratio, with as today produced values (exclude Interlude):
    • Renders/Week: EP10 is ranked 4th with 136 [Exact Average] || 161 (EP7) / 120 (EP4)
    • Animations/Week: EP10 is ranked 6th with 6.6 [EP2 number] || 11.9 (EP8) / 6.2 (EP1)
  • Despite the raw power of the new GPUs the A/W is very underwhelming, hoping the longs are done.
  • Renders target from 5400 to 5700; Animations from 300 to 350.
    • With last target we were 95% renders and 88% animations done. Now 90% / 76%.
  • An extra 15 Music been added too.
  • Compared to EP9: Preview are 22/21 and Rooster 5/6 revealed.
  • Release could be Late of September October (9 10 months / 40 44 weeks projection). 81% complete.
    • Posed Target Completion __ Renders: 90% | Animations: 76%
EP​
Renders​
Animations​
(min)​
Music*
Δ
Size_GB
Release​
Development Time​
Ratio*
R/W
sA/W
EP1​
1301_.__
51_____
3:29
—​
1.1 (new)
07 Feb, 19​
— days​
—​
—​
—​
EP2​
1709 (+31%)
77 _(+26)
3:36
—​
2.3 (+1.2)
04 May, 19​
087_ (2 months, 28 days |≈12 weeks)
138​
EP3​
2289 (+34%)
99 _(+22)
4:42​
—​
10​
4.1 (+1.8)
16 Aug, 19​
105_ (3 months, 13 days |≈15 weeks)
EP4​
2532 (+11%)
134 _(+35)
7:57​
—​
15​
6.1 (+2.0)
10 Jan, 20​
148_ (4 months, 26 days |≈21 weeks)
22.6​
EP5​
2456_ (-3%)
157 _(+23)
8:35​
17 (3.4K$)
11​
8.0 (+1.9)
29 May, 20​
141_ (4 months, 20 days |≈20 weeks)
25.6​
EP6​
3336 (+35%)
162 __(+5)
8:33​
24 (4.8K$)
11.1 (+3.1)
13 Nov, 20​
169_ (5 months, 16 days |≈24 weeks)
138​
21.2​
EP7​
3723 (+12%)
250 _(+55)
18:14​
18 (3.6K$)
15​
14.5 (+3.4)
23 Apr, 21​
162_ (5 months, 11 days |≈23 weeks)
EP8​
4158 (+12%)
358 (+108)
26:21
34 (6.8K$)
16​
19.5 (+5.0)
19 Nov, 21​
211_ (6 months, 28 days |≈30 weeks)
138​
EPI
794____
36_____
4:36
19 (3.8K$)
2.6 (new)
4 Mar, 22​
105_ (3 months, 13 days |≈15 weeks)
EP9​
5037 (+35%)
303 _(-55)
26:08
21 (4.2K$)
7.3 (+4.7)
16 Dec, 22​
287_ (9 months, 12 days |≈41 weeks)
38.2​
EP10
Target ≈5700
Target ≈350
25 (5.0K$)
in dev
252_ (8 months, 9 days |≈36 weeks)
Complete Table with the idea of Holy Bacchus† original post — Being a DIK in development since 4 years, 6 months, 18 days (54 months / 237 weeks / 1660 days / 39,840 hours)
* | Total: 31,442$ — Δ=Scenes — Ratio = (Renders/Weeks + secondsAnimations/Weeks) | Renders/Weeks | secondsAnimations/Weeks

(y)Thumbs Up to:
| Casiope's DIK Walkthrough | AchedCroissant's EP10 Preview Collection | EP10 Rooster Collection | Clone Series Renders
| shazba's Q/A Story Summary | Holy Bacchus 's Story Timeline | DrPinkCake's Q&A Session | RPDL's
like the godlike mpa71?

• Haha
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: mpa71 and sampow

travelman

Dec 14, 2018
Well, every metric except for Maths. 5k+ still renders and very likey tipping over 20k renders, in total, including the animations. That a lone would like take 6+ months. Then all that writing, and coding, and testing. So 8+ months sounds reasonable in that context especially as he works alone.
That's exactly my point, he CHOOSE to have this many, to constantly increase the amount. He could impose a limit on himself, keep what's needed, discard nice to have's, to deliver more frequent updates, but he rather up the numbers with each episode. This will legit be 8-9 year game. I guess it doesn't matter to him, he gets paid every month and once the game if fully out, with already established following, it might actually do really good, since all the new players will get the full package.
The momentum for current players though is all but gone.

Orgitas

Jan 5, 2023
You don't know that. Considering BaD is, like, 3rd most popular game on this site and how well the games sell on Steam. He isn't losing any interest, nor momentum, at all. In fact he is on the verge on having the most Patreon subs he has ever had. So by the metrics we can observe the momentum is actually more and more in his favour.

Alfagrem

Aug 23, 2017
If you want to complain about delivery metrics then the space to do that is on Patreon where you can subscribe or not as you please.

On this site we're lucky enough to get the updates as long as they come and spread the word/rate it accordingly and even buy it on steam if we feel the work is of value.

Reactions: jman3347

Matt2012021

Jul 18, 2020
Shaping up like episode 10 will be a make or break for a lot of players I really hope he delivers but if this another over hyped mess like last update could be real bad

Hahn1900

Jan 3, 2021
This thread alone tells a different story. If the momentum would have be gone, do you really think this thread would get 3-5 more pages each and every day?

And even his patreon numbers are not getting lower. Which is kinda weird considering the momentum is gone as you think and considered that patreon itself is getting more and more insignificant.

I admit, i make a playthrough again and again every two months maybe, most of the time i just repeat my favorite path to keep everything in my head as a reminder or just to enjoy the game overall again. But being a dik is pretty much the only AVN where i do that. For all the others i just start a new playthrough if an episode comes out, well... if its a game where its worth it, most of the time its not.

Of course it annoys me a lot to wait that long for an episode, and its not reasonable too... he could very well deliver them 3 months faster with the same amount content if he would do more recycling of static renders and do less unnecessary animations. But well... thats DPC for you. and thats the reason why i canceled my sub on patreon and will only pay when its released once.

But looking at all the other games (with a certain type of quality) everybody can notice that the dev-shedule keeps increasing for all of those games. 10+ months waiting time if pretty much "standard" now. 2 years ago it was kinda like... 5-7 months. And compared to those other "quality games" DPC still puts out more content in the same time as them. You have to give him that at least.

I would perfectly be fine if DPC would recycle more renders again like he did in the first maybe 4 episodes. To lower the count of those but creating the same amount of content. As a matter of fact, i would prefer it that way. But just like DPC many DEVs decided to increase the render and animations count of their games, which increased the development time very much without getting more playtime out of it. DPC might be the most obsessed one with those things, but he has a lot of "company" regarding that.

*edit* oh and MOST Devs are just delivering less and less content, slower and slower, and doing less work or no work at all and all are just pretending with wallpapers and such... those are the milkers, and you can say what you want, DPC is for sure not a milker in that regard. I couldnt even name another DEV here that is writing DEV reports nearly every week... with sometimes real hard info in them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fess1998 and Kpyna

xtrema

Oct 24, 2022
Hi everyone, would anyone be able to help me with the 3 keys to escape haunted house? I've found one in the fridge. Have clicked the green bottle several times, nogo. Haven't been able to find the one in cage, clicked on the cage several times as well, nogo. Have been hopelessly stuck in the haunted house for 2 days now.

Edit - Figured it out! We need to click on the notice, then the things move.
i need to write with good english next time so that people understand it easily sorry buddy my bad

xTakeshi69

Jul 13, 2019
soooo i don't want to read the other comments cuz there are over 12k sites! Just tell me if there will be another update soon or should i play it now cuz we need to wait longer for the next update? THX

mattius77

May 16, 2017
I am luck to be late to the show here. I just downloaded the game for the first time and gave it a run through.

As a start-to-date exercise, there is a lot to do in one go. A lot a lot. It's very impressive, and I'm oddly invested in the characters. First time through the only path I deliberately tried to get on was Isabella, and somehow cockblocked myself. So I started over after applying the mod, and so here I am. I hope Cathy (the redhead teacher) comes back, and I hope I haven't seen the last of Jade. The three of them constitute quite the power trio...... it's like if The Police were super hot MILFs instead of a band.

I am not buying Jill and Isabella as best friends. The way they're characterized and drawn, I honestly thought Bella was her mom at first, not her bestie. So that's a bit weird. The game suffers from the common affliction of insisting older chicks have giant titties, and younger chicks have smaller titties. Not a rule in the game, necessarily, but some of these ladies, goodness.... haha (And I admit Bella falls into this category, despite being my favorite)

If you've been playing the game since 2019 and have become disillusioned over the pace of updates, I'm sorry. Because if you wait 4 years and play the game from cold-and-dark to where it is today, it's actually a decently long play and very entertaining.

4 faps out of 5

Hahn1900

Jan 3, 2021
Shaping up like episode 10 will be a make or break for a lot of players I really hope he delivers but if this another over hyped mess like last update could be real bad
Hm i dont think so.

I was very dissapointed with the interlude. Consequence was, i canceled my sub on patreon... i dont like EP9, in fact its my least favorite episode so it stayed that way and i dind renew my sub, only payed once for the epsiode, and i will do so agian. But its still better than most content delivered by any other DEV, except maybe 2 or 3 others, but they didnt deliver that much good content overall as DPC did so far.

Many players complained about episode 8 too, but mos tof the time i dont get why. Its one of my favorite episodes. But thats different tastes for you i guess.

No matter what, his patrons increased, if iam not wrong about it, he has reached his peak at the start of the year, naturally it cooled down a bit, but there a still over 13000 patrons which is more than he ever had before during a year. and those numbers will rise again when the episode comes out for a while, maybe reaching 15000 or more. On top of that... being a dik as really good numbers on steam and gog too. I dont think this will change with EP10, no matter if its good or bad. Not even the intelrude had a negative impact, and its the least favorite episode for most players, heck most players just skip it.

If there would be a "make or break" for a lot of players, it would have been a while ago. But there was only "make" not break so far. And EP10 will not change that. In the discord, on his patreon site, and especially in this thread you can see that everybody wants to get his hands on the upcoming EP10. yeah i complain too that the waiting time is too long, that EP9 pretty much sucked, and i even canceled my sub because of it. But it will change not the fact that i will pay once its out. And so will many others too.

A "make or break" point is long gone... His support numbers will not really go down anymore. The only think that can "break" this game is DPC himself.

For fucks sake... look at all the "milker" projects out there, not delivering any worth downloading content for YEARS. And still they have thousands of supporters and making a lot of money out of it, without doing anything worth it. I will never understand why people just dont quit supporting those milkers... but as long as DPC is working on this game, i am 100% sure he will not lose a significant amount of supporters.

For me... if EP10 is not that good (again) i will lose my overall "drive" for the game i think, at least until the next episode is out. so far i make new playthroughs every now and then, at least one complete playthrough every two months, or even every month... If EP10 cant deliver its likely that i will not make many more playthroughs anymore and just wait silently for the next episode. But nonetheless i would pay for next one too until the game is finished cause i just want to see the "end"

I really hope DPC can hold up his motivation to get the game done one day. With good will its at least another 5 years until the end, a very long time, where many things can happen in life. For most DEVs around here i would say "nope this game will never be finished" but i have good feeling that DPC wants to finish this no matter what.

Reactions: Ivyxxx and Kpyna
4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes