VN - Ren'Py - Being a DIK [v0.10.1] [DrPinkCake]

1. 5.00 star(s)

GreekLord

Dude....this game is the best thing I ever played. Games like these should be made in more numbers. Completely different and exciting storyline and content. Graphics are also pretty. I've played almost all the Ren'py games and out of all I found this one the best.
    Worth everything!!!!
  2. 5.00 star(s)

Dragook13

The story is fantastic. Good writing and pace.
    The art is also great.
    The gameplay is okay. There are multiple choices to be made. However, there are times where you are limited to 1 of 2 choices with the DIK or CHICK system.
  3. 4.00 star(s)

throwaway908070

What can I say that hasn't been said already? This is probably the best visual novel on the site. Hell it might be the best one I've ever seen anywhere. Really whatever tops this is gonna absolutely floor people because god damn.

Visuals - 9/10 - If this isn't the best on the site, they're easily in contention for it. Now don't get me wrong there is room for improvement. So many of the models have this grounded-beauty that makes them seem extremely realistic, but there's a few times it crosses that line into truly impossible. I don't hate it, but it hurts the immersion. Personally I notice it most with Isabella.

Interactivity - 9/10 - damn near perfect. They keep the visual novel interactivity fresh and varied so you never get bored. It's always changing. But frankly even though I loved that the first few times I played through, it also makes repeat playthroughs a bit frustrating as I'd love to just hit a big skip button after a certain point.

Pacing - 7/10 - This is probably the big point that could be improved. There's a few sections of clicking around houses & rooms where it just seems like there's too much randomly pointing and clicking. Overall though there's a lot of content, they've spread it out very well, and give you good reason to suffer through it. I just wish it was tightened up a little.

Story - you know I don't normally talk about this as I generally don't care, but they did a really good job here. I tend to skip through the dialogue about as fast as I can, and yet they managed to concisely tell a visual story. I'm never confused about what's going on. Maybe that's a testament to the solid artwork, but they've clearly spent a lot of time thinking about this world and the characters in it. They captured the feel of being in some college frat house movie - solid work
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Tgsaudoiz

Master Piece
    Every characters are wonderful from looking to personality
    Great music
    Great story woth love, passion,funny,sad, really touching my heart
    Cant wait for next updates. Just hope this will have happy ending.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

TheMightyLlama

if there was a perfect adult game, this would be it.
    Genuinely nothing but praise for every aspect of the game, i really don't know what i'd say needs improving. All i could ask for is more of the same quality content to be released for the game.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Paranoiaaaaaa

This is the BEST VN I played ever!!
    A game that every adult game should be.
    Great character design, great animation, great story, great background, great music taste!
    This is a 9.999999/10 game because nothing is perfect!
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Javichu

This is hands down the best first release I've ever seen on this site. Amazing renders, great amount of content, well thought out characters, and fun story progression. On another note, usually I'm not a fan of mini-games, but those used in this game actually fit and are fun. I have never become a patron to a Developer after a first release, but I think I'm going to change that. I can only hope future updates are as amazing as this first one.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

duckie68

Please take note that this is my very first five star rating. There are a lot of games I have reviewed that I love, but this is so far the only one that I can genuinely place this high.

Production value is huge. Character models and settings are fantastic. Animations are smooth and pretty. Gameplay is innovative. Story is extremely heavy. Replay value is ridiculous.

I originally didn't feel too much attraction to this one because of the name. "Being a DIK" sounded like a real cheap shot for a low brow adult visual novel. Still, the ratings were high and there were a number of chapters released already...

It turns out, this game is pretty damned "complete". Relationships are built around multiple variables and entire branches get closed off very early on in the game due to the complexity. This does not detract at all because it's something built in to the entire gameplay element. The only way to follow every story is to drastically change your gameplay which really makes this into a new game every time you come back.

The game also has <gasp> male characters that you can influence, and even <double gasp> like!

One of the few "cons" of this game is a particular moment where the MC is just a bit of a hypocrite over definitions... Sex at every turn is okay to him, but "relationship status" is a thing that makes some stuff taboo. This isn't a huge con, and the writer more than makes up for it by incorporating the funniest iteration of a minigame ever. The MC is childishly pouting and hurting a love interest by ignoring her while playing through a common minigame of reciting details about a non-interactive NPC's life, while that NPC is just sitting there feeling really uncomfortable...

Damn, the writing is hella good...

I am going to warn you about that writing though. I tried Dr PinkCake's other novel out, "Acting Lessons", and that novel broke my damn heart. If I'm honest, I don't even know if I dread or want that level of drama in this novel. Getting this emotionally invested is a blessing and a curse.

So yeah, the most surprising thing is the degree of emotional investment. Definitely not something expected of an adult visual novel, but probably the thing that actually warrants the fifth star.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

I_Only_Support_Real_Onez

I was expecting quality since Acting Lessons was so amazing but damn did I ever get my mind blown by playing this.It's like taking your favorite college comedy movie and making it x-rated. The renders are beautiful the women are beautiful and the cast of characters are all interesting. The story and plotline are downright amazing from fraternity and sorority hazing down to what some sorority members are doing to pay for college and whatnot. I didnt even see the first plot twist coming. There is a unique scoring system to unlock certain scenes... you have to either be a DIK or a CHICK. There is plenty of content for only being 5 chapters so far. Each chapter is about 2-3 hours long which makes for a good amount of playing time. I cannot wait for more of this be done....edit ... all of that was for before 7.1... leaving the score the same but done playing and monetarily supporting it, He put so much effort into anti--modding that even without modding it from a fresh unzip the game has trouble starting.I'll get my similar fix elsewhere...between downloading and trying to get the game to run it's been 2 days...not worth it.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

123patates

One of the best games i played., cause it has a great storyline and really nice artwork. And because the game is based on choises u make, u can rerun it and still enjoy it. Cant wait to see more of it. Keep up the great work!
  11. 5.00 star(s)

knarfofrank

I cant believe I didnt find out this game before!!
    The best game i have played so far.
    Best girls, good story, not so complicated mini games, no grind, and another set up besides the ussual house/neighborhood.

I am in with DrPinkCake
  12. 5.00 star(s)

EganLD

You did an amazing job on this game and it' not finished yet.
    The animations, the music, the story , everything is mixing and that makes an awesome game to play.
    I'll keep an eye on it for sure now and pay a visit to the Patreon.
    Cheers
  13. 5.00 star(s)

blaggie

One of the best games on this site. So many potential roads for the story to progress towards and very likeable characters! The scenes as well as the general look of the game are also stunning.

The sad part is waiting for further releases as they only come out every three-four months or so , but then again the more time they put into making the game as flawless as possible, the less there is to complain about.

10/10
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Mogulul

Probably the best game out there. Maya+Jody story ending a bit forced and overdramatic imo, but everything else has superb storytelling and dialogue. It's incredible to think that these amazing renders have to take 2nd place behind the incredible writing.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

myownpairofdice

Wonderful graphics and so interactive. Much much more than just a story, and that is what I love about it. The interactions with the characters, both good and bad ones, really help make it feel like your own story.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

RYAN2368112

This game is fantastic. The renders are all amazing, the girls look great and seem to have actual personalities. The story is interesting and amazing .Waiting fpr next update Also, it seems a walkthrough would be VERY helpful since there are multiple paths depending on the personality you develop as you go through the game.
    This game is one of my favourite and it is really good.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

stinkholeslammer

What every adult VN should be. Great renders, great animations, great writing, lots of sex. DPC does more by himself than most teams of devs can do. One of the few games that is worth supporting with my wallet IMO.
  18. F
    5.00 star(s)

furhurlow

The story is pretty solid, the renders are amazing, has a decent amount of content, wish there were more sounds but I'll take what I can get and is overall a very nice game. Looking forward to more updates.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

Bergizzle98

what can i say about this game. it literally has everything.
    Action, Romance, Comedy, Subterfuge. Family.
    You start as just some guy and by the end of the epsiodes you slowly begin to fit in within the University, forming friendship and more with the people you meet. Derek.. the coolest guy. Your Maggot Brother he alone makes this game a 10/10 the rest i just a bonus. couldnt put it down until i finished it.
    10/10 would wank again.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

Alexa Bliss

From Acting Lessons to this?! Dr. Pinkcake you spoil us. Never thought I'd end up playing one of these visual novels but the immersion is amazing. 10/10 .

Let me just start off by saying that i'm not a regular when it comes to adult games. This is one my first adult games i've played in a very long time and i have to say that this game really took me by surprise. i'm gonna list some stuff off that really drew me to play this game more.

1. First thing i wanna point out something that didn't make sense at first but then i caught onto later on. This game tells you not to play it if you are in a dark place in your life and at first i kinda laughed because here i am who is a more sad then the usual average person so i just still played it. After going on the first date and that soft music hits and she looks you in your eyes is when it first hit me. This game actually got me emotional and made me feel like i was talking to that girl and it almost made me cry because shes a beautiful girl and knowing me it would break my heart if she told me she was in a relationship and wouldn't give you a chance.

2. The graphics in this game are beyond anything i expected. The detail and textures look amazing all the time and im playing on 144 Hz on 1080p. It really just makes the game so much better and again more emotional when a girl is face to face with your character and you can see how they feel about you just by looking at them. It really ties the game together and im so proud of Dr. Pinkcake for making it that way.

3. The main thing is that drew me to play this game more is not the sex but the actual emotional feeling you get when you play this game. It was so hard to be a DIK in this game because i just wanted all the girls to like me and not think of me in a bad way and im basing that on how i would be if the character was me. But i think thats what Dr. Pinkcake was going for he wanted you to play game based on how you would approach things and how you would react even tho it gives you 2 to 3 choices they are all choices that are ment for the situation thats happening.

4. Finally i just wanna say that this game was by far one of greatest games i've ever played i loved all the characters and of course disliked some more then others but it all tied together to make a great game worth spending hours on. I went thru all the possible ways from being a massive DIK and a massive CHICK and ill always be a chick because me personally im a ladies man i cant be mean to girls like you can be to some in this game. I can not wait for the second season of this game i hope he takes his time because i want it to be perfect like this one. I hope some people out there read this and realize that yes this a adult game and a lot of sex scenes but its easy to look past all that and really dig into the emotion and passion in the game. Thank you Dr. Pinkcake for an amazing title!